LIVERPOOL VS FULHAM - 26/01/2011 ko 8:00 pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Bermenstein » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:16 am

The Kop sucked that ball into the net tonight. Well done 12th man
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:23 am

We were only really on tired legs in the last 15 minutes or so, and yet we did a good job at holding them off. Overall some of our play was decent, with some nice triangles being played in the midfield and in and around their box. At least we are now looking like we know how to play football. Fulham did well to keep us out, as we did them, but on the whole, I think we deserved the three points. Kenny knows how to win a game even when we aren't playing that well, and that is the most promising aspect of tonights win. All he has to do is get us more wins away from home and we're a team to be feared again.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:24 am

Zidane wrote:
only me wrote:
jimmy brighton wrote:
only me wrote:
jimmy brighton wrote:
Zidane wrote:
metalhead wrote:
Zidane wrote:
metalhead wrote:you guys seriously think Lucas would have made a difference? He is a good player but not that good!!! and what does he bring to our attacking play? nothing! the reason we couldn't get the grips of the game because we lacked the final ball and we became really nervous in the last 10 minutes when Fulham attacked us.

He calms the tempo down and helps us control matches, Gerrard tries to go for that final ball too often and gives the opposition possession when it doesn't come off.  Lucas keeps us ticking a lot better than Stevie.

When did Lucas ever calm the tempo? or done any of that? he would have given away so many freekicks and doesn't keep the ball better than Gerrard.... f*ck me but yes Lucas is a world class player ???

Lucas keeps it simple and sometimes that's exactly what you need to do until a pass opens up.  You can't just try to force that final pass every time you think there is an opening.  Also neither of our midfielders ever broke up any plays out wide that I remember, that's something Lucas does ALL the time.  Stevie just isn't good for us as a CM and Lucas is better than him in that position.  Stevie has to play somewhere where he can be undisciplined and not cost the team.  Poulson looks like a slug sometimes I feel bad for him honestly, he's trying but he just isn't quick enough.

Totally agreed. Can't believe people are STILL questioning him. Lucas I'm afraid MH, is the heartbeat of our team and was hugely missed tonight

Oh comon now Lucas is the missing Link? We played the same players as against Wolves just got the "new" lad Gerrard back...And Suddenly Lucas was missed??
Kuyt and Maxi were missing and that killed attack ,i'm still not convinced as to deploying Johnson as LB ,not for that we payed millions to bring him.

Team is lacking confidence and that is showing and affecting every play of the game, i thought KK should have done much better with the subs but guess luck was our main tactics and it worked.

You're obviously a Lucas detractor but he is the engine in our midfield now

I agree...That explains our $hitty season so far ,among other things....

:no

:nod  yes he's right ! sorry mods for the russian doll effect-but reasons or opinions for otherwise deserve it imho!
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:31 am

for anyone who hasn't seen it

Panstil the donkey
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:39 am

Dundalk wrote:
Greavesie wrote:
Dundalk wrote:WE NEED ANOTHER GOAL

how much is it worth?

Real Madrid already won 1-0 away to Sevilla  11/10
Barca -3 ( They are winning 3-0 not even HT yet) 6/4
Liverpool -1 6/4

20 quid on it

:(
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:41 am

Just got back from the game and I must say it's all a bit negative in here ! ???

A wins a win and you can be sure we wouldn't have taken all 3pts under Hodgson.

Sometimes football isn't as free flowing and pretty as we would like it to be and we did fade a little after a decent start but come on guys.......3 pts, a clean sheet, Stevie getting a game under his belt, Meireles impressive again, Kelly solid, no bookings or sending offs, up to 7th, even Poulsen had a decent game ! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:08 am

Daylight robbery that.

If you are shortsignted you say 3 pts is 3 pts and it doesn't matter if we were outplayed at Anfield.

But if you look a bit ahead this kind of performances just isn't good enough and from most of the players it is as good as it gets.

Maxi, Skrtel, Kuyt, Poulsen just aren't better and will not perform much better for the rest of the season.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:03 am

RUSHIE#9 wrote:
PabloMedina28 wrote:Felt sorry for that Pansil i thought Gerrard was out of order and lashed out at him twice, a lesser player would of been punished. You think he would of learnt his lesson after just missing  afew games.

I agree, totally irresponsible of Gerrard to go doing something like that after just coming back from a suspension.  :no

The way I look at that is that the ball was kind of scrambling around and Gerrard got pushed off a bit and he went back to get the ball, but ended up fouling Pansil, which didn't get called, then fell over and swung again and fouled Pansil again, tho I don't really think either were on purpose.  Stevie got up and Pansil came after him. Stevie had to respond tho, you can't just cower away or anything, he had to get in his face to show he's tough or whatever.  he had to make himself look strong.  I'm not too dissapointed at him but I did thing he needed to calm down.  No need to get some sh!te red card again.  He should have been more mature about it but Pansil just started going after people.  He felt he was fouled when he got called for the foul and then he went all crazy on one of Liverpool's players and Agger grabbed him when he was going after Johnson I think it was.

Pansil just had a huge temper, but ya, Gerrard should have handled it better.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:49 am

As ian said , 3pts ,clean sheet and 7th place .We are now looking up rather than down lets see what happens.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:02 am

unless your called Penguins and can only see the doom and gloom. :D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:29 am

Dalglish wrote:Just got back from the game and I must say it's all a bit negative in here ! ???

A wins a win and you can be sure we wouldn't have taken all 3pts under Hodgson.

Sometimes football isn't as free flowing and pretty as we would like it to be and we did fade a little after a decent start but come on guys.......3 pts, a clean sheet, Stevie getting a game under his belt, Meireles impressive again, Kelly solid, no bookings or sending offs, up to 7th, even Poulsen had a decent game ! :D

I know, I give up on trying to educate fools.

We all know it is work in progress. There are going to be setbacks, but the fact we played so badly and still won is a sign in itself - that we are rediscovering how to win even when playing badly. Something that has been distinctly lacking this season and last.

Even with last nights game, the improvement from 1 month back is stark.

People need to understand that change isn't coming overnight, even with the best management. Training regimes and new strategies take time to have an effect. No one seems to have any patience anymore.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:17 am

Bit surprised by negative vibe myself, wasnt greatest of performance but considering recent times I certainly take it..

I also  would have taken that result during the recent Roy's reign of relegation run

In fact I would have taken that result a couple of seasons ago when Rafa team of poor signings finished second in the league

A win is a win
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:48 am

dundreamin wrote:How many times have you seen the mange or cheatski winning ugly 1-0. These performances may not be pretty,but points win prizes or CL qulification!

Exacly.

haha First nose bleed of the season for me,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby worcester_red » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:52 am

It wasn't good in terms of controlling the game but boy oh boy was it exciting to watch. That is what Kenny has brought back but we really need to get better at slowing a game down occasionally plus we really really need that second striker and replacements for Kuyt and Maxi.

Oh and in the summer can we please buy Hangeland to replace Skyrtel
worcester_red

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Not the greatest performance but as others have said above I'll take it. Thought we started very well with a high tempo. Torres' goal should have stood and Mereiles forced an excellent save from their goalkeeper. Ok we didn't really push on from there but at the end of the day 3 points is 3 points. We played far better against the bitters and only got 1 point so that puts it into perspective.

Positives were the fullbacks again for providing the only real outlet and width that we had and Mereiles who continues to impress. If it was me I'd have still swapped him and Gerrard around though. It frustrates the hell out of me seeing Gerrard picking the ball up off the centre backs in his own half. He should be affecting the play in the final third.

We also seriously need some aerial presence at the back. Our marking from set pieces and crosses is criminal. They could and maybe should have equalised. The last 10-15 minutes reminded me of the Chelsea semi in 2005 we were so deep.

Anyway a win is a win and lets hope we see an improvement next week against Stoke.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games