Liverpool v wolverhampton - Sat:24/09/2011 ko 15.00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby RedSi35 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Difficult in understanding where we are going wrong defensivley.

Is the protection not there from the midfield?

I dont have a problem with left/right back.

Are Carras and Skrtels frailties rubbing off on the rest of the defensive line? it looks that way to me, the panic that ensues when a ball comes low or high into our box is worrying.
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doc Lashed » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:02 pm

That was stressful.

Skrtels just not good enough. He's a liability. Carras best years are behind him. Aggers too injury prone. Coates needs time. We need a central defender in January. Priority.

And, just like Spurs last week, why did Wolves have so much space? Why did the second ball always fall to a Wolves shirt? Is Adam sitting too deep with Lucas? We need to get this sorted as soon as.  :no

I think we look better with Spearing and Lucas holding.
Doc Lashed

Postby only me » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:04 pm

RedSi35 wrote:Difficult in understanding where we are going wrong defensivley.

Is the protection not there from the midfield?

I dont have a problem with left/right back.

Are Carras and Skrtels frailties rubbing off on the rest of the defensive line? it looks that way to me, the panic that ensues when a ball comes low or high into our box is worrying.

Yep you got it right - We havn't got ONE solid CB at the moment which is crucial to our defensvie play and if you add to it that Adam isn't the best of defender and Lucas is still one up one down type of player ,you have 4 defensive players which all together combine a hysterical bunch. I disagree that we don't have a problem with the RB possesion i still think it's weak spot for us although we have 3 pretty promising players on paper fighting for it. And if you add Hendo which completely disappeared then our defensive play is really a mess.

We will just need to score more then we conceive. We have the players to do so.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:04 pm

skirtels just a clumsy thug, the amount of free kicks he gives away in dangerous positions is frightening
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Kuyt need to start instead of Hendo. KK should sub Adam as offers little defensively and just completely disappeared in the second half. Lucky we got the 3 points but with lucas and adam, we are lacking enegy in the middle. Gerrard need to start ahead of adam next game.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby mart » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:06 pm

RedSi35 wrote:Is the protection not there from the midfield?

That is at least a big part of the problem. We are giving away plenty of space, and wolves could run right through our midfield. Adam is too slow and is giving the ball away a lot.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:10 pm

our midfield atm just adds to a shaky defense.they arent winning the 1st or 2nd balls and the pressure builds in defense.a team with half a decent midfield will always cut us to pieces when adam and lucas are just sitting in front of our cb's.
still there was some positives,we looked good on the counter and carroll looked much better today.
absolutely puzzled with the sub of suarez for stevie,he looked like the only one that could have got another for us.
it should have been adam taken off
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Madmax » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:28 pm

Our core is weak at the moment its something i stated before kickoff.

With two shaky CB in Carragher-Skrtel

Being supported by two average CM in Lucas-Adam

Your bound to get problems.

We need to remove Adam for gerrard and skrtel for coates.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:51 pm

We just have to take the win and enjoy it after 2 league defeats but none of us are daft enough to thing we have turned a corner just yet. This group is very much a work in progress and it shows really, some nice moments followed by poor play, all a bit patchy. Dalglish still doesnt know his best team and until he can put Gerrard down as first name on the sheet I dont thing he will. Get him in there are we slot the pieces in around him simple as that.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:57 pm

3 points but anything but convincing. Andy was a non event. Any top team would have murdered us today.
killerp

Postby metalhead » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:17 pm

Great first half, nerve wrecking second half, but if Downing and Carroll scored their chances we would taken control of the game.

I'm really really worried about our defense, absolutely shocking Skrtel is so :censored: :censored: and shouldn't even start, and Carragher lost his physical presence  :(  Our priority is an EXPERIENCED and TOP quality CB in Jan, Coates is still young and will take time for him to impose himself in the team, by that time we need to be playing CL footy.

Positives, this was Andy Carroll's best performance in a red shirt, unlucky not to score and it looks like he just LACKS a bit of confidence in front of goal, but his passing and linkup with his teammates were excellent and the way he held the ball was really good. Glad to see Gerrard back and he looked really sharp with his bursting runs and tackling

Good solid win, but we need to improve defensively if we need to get anything against the bitters next week
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Good win with a decent performance overall. Plenty to be taken from the game imo in terms of positives and negatives. Not sure this is the right thread to be taking about individuals or tactics but I think our setup today while proving sufficient to overcome a poor Wolves side, wouldnt be good enough to beat any of the stronger sides in the league. We lacked balance despite most players having a good game (particularly going forward) and we almost paid for it in the second half.
End of the day, we got the 3 points but my main concern is that we are yet to learn from our mistakes in previous games.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:16 pm

it's bamboozling watching us so far this season. at times we look brilliant but as soon as we get put under pressure we panic at the back and it gives me kittens. today was almost a carbon copy of the sunderland game. played some great stuff in the first half and could have been out of sight. second half conceded a poor goal and surrendered the initiative to a team who hardly got a kick in the first half. only enrique out of the back four has any composure back there. it's utterly ludicrous how deep our defensive line is.

in midfield lucas is practically having to do the work of 3 men at times. thought adam and henderson were disappointing again and both should be dropped for gerrard and kuyt for the derby imo. positives were carroll, downing, enrique and obviously suarez who was class again. such a special player. i also don't mind him venting his frustration at getting subbed again. it shows how much the bloke cares.

a win is a win though. we still need to up it a level though because if we're not up for the battle in the derby next week we'll be in trouble.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Zidane » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:21 am

I've got to say after reading this thread I expected us to be lucky to have come out with the win but to be honest Wolves were very lucky to not concede more.  I thought we were very good in attack, Suarez was brilliant and was very unlucky to not score at least 2 goals.  Carroll, Downing and Enrique were really good as well.  I expected Henderson to actually be non existent but I saw him consistently provide an outlet in attack the only thing he was really poor in was defense.. when we were under siege for a few minutes in the 2nd half it almost felt as if he wasn't even on the pitch.  I don't agree with him being picked ahead of Kuyt but I thought he was good in the first half and faded in the second leading to being subbed. 

Dunno, I felt good after that performance the only problem was obviously the defense.  Our CBs are poor and too inconsistent apart from Agger.  I won't judge Coates cause obviously he's only 20 but like I said before we needed to strengthen that position for the present not the future.  If Coates was for the future not buying another CB was always going to be a mistake and if he is for the present then he should be allowed to play and fight for a spot in the XI cause to be perfectly honest he shouldn't find it hard to do better than Carra or Agger right now.
Zidane

Postby alwayslfc » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:16 am

So we have problems with CB positions? Do you agree with this Comolli guy that the summer signings were complete? Absolute BS! I don't agree we need this director of football position as he could have more say in buying certain players and at what positions ahead of the manager who has to work with those guys day in day out not Comolli.

The flaws in the summer signings message to Mr.Comolli are we don't have enough quality CBs, and no quality right winger meaning, Agger is as good as gone as he's only available about 1/3 of the time, Carra is past his prime and Skrtel too inconsistent. And Hendo is not a natural right winger.

Wolves were lucky to get away with Liverpool's misses and Carroll hitting the post. Carroll really should have scored in the last seconds and had it been Suarez v.likely it would have gone in. I just do not see the logic behind replacing Suarez with Gerrard, Suarez's play though was not perfect, he was always a constant threat, it was either Carroll or Adam who should have been replaced and let Gerrard and Suarez played together.

Overall, we seemed to lack confidence in the 2nd half and gave them too much space and positions. I have no problems with our left flank in Enrique and Downing but the right flank and our CB positions are our main weaknesses.
alwayslfc

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games