FC UTRECHT VS LIVERPOOL - thursday 30th september 18.00pm ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby puroresu » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Am I the only one who isnt that impressed with Joe Cole.  While I thought it was a good signing I really didnt understand the reaction.  People were talking as if was the saviour and someone who was going to make a real difference when in reality his career his never really been that player.
puroresu

Postby metalhead » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:43 pm

puroresu wrote:Am I the only one who isnt that impressed with Joe Cole.  While I thought it was a good signing I really didnt understand the reaction.  People were talking as if was the saviour and someone who was going to make a real difference when in reality his career his never really been that player.

I still think he will be a very good player for us, the problem is that we aren't performing, when we aren't performing certain players won't show up, unfortunately in Joe Cole and Torres' case.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:43 pm

puroresu wrote:Am I the only one who isnt that impressed with Joe Cole.  While I thought it was a good signing I really didnt understand the reaction.  People were talking as if was the saviour and someone who was going to make a real difference when in reality his career his never really been that player.

Mentioned the exact same thing when we signed him as I thought he might not be the same player since his serious injury but say it quietly as you may get attacked .
Benny The Noon

Postby metalhead » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:44 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Odds on that Hodgsons say it was a good result and the lads did well.

reminds me of someone saying that before ???
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:46 pm

I still don't know and i don't think Roy knows what his best position is. Is it on the left? Behind the striker? I don't know.

But i think he can be a quality player for us
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:49 pm

RedSi35 wrote:I still don't know and i don't think Roy knows what his best position is. Is it on the left? Behind the striker? I don't know.

But i think he can be a quality player for us

This is a major concern.  I know cole said he wants to play central but I dont think he will be better than Gerrard in behind torres.  Cole should play wide left as his our best option there but he like the other midfielders isnt blessed with pace and the side is devoid of genuine pace!!
puroresu

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Just seen Torres sitter miss.
Not very good.
Thommo's perm

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:Just seen Torres sitter miss.
Not very good.

The goal keeper saved it.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:05 pm

Roy's reaction after the game.

STOP PRESS:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/roy-reacts-to-utrecht-draw

Roy Hodgson believes Liverpool can be pleased to have gained a point against an impressive Utrecht side on Thursday night.

Both sides had chances to prevent the game ending 0-0, though with last-ditch interventions required from Pepe Reina and Raul Meireles, Hodgson had no complaints at returning home with a share of the spoils.

The result leaves Liverpool top of Group K, two points ahead of both Napoli and Utrecht.

The manager said: "It was a good point. We knew it was going to be a tough game. The occasions when they created some chances were largely of our own making. They were the result of unfortunate individual errors. I thought the shape of the team and the way we approached the game - I can have nothing but praise for my team.

"We created some good chances ourselves also. It wasn't a dull 0-0, there was activity at both ends of the field.

"Utrecht did well. They were as determined and committed as we expected them to be, so we had to be at our best defensively and we were.

"We saw some very determined chasing down from the Dutch forwards, their crossing and attacking the ball from crossing was good and it was easy to see why Utrecht have got a very good home record.

"So it's a good point to take back to Liverpool. Four points out of two games. It's the first time we haven't won one of these games but to be honest it would have been unfortunate for them if we'd won the game tonight. They would have felt hard done by. For me, a draw was a more than satisfactory result.

"I think the group is going to be very tight. The other game finished in a draw. We're top with four, then Utrecht and Napoli with two points and Steaua Bucharest with one point. It's already quite close and I think it will be close right until the end with the way this group is panning out."

Asked about the performance of Fernando Torres, who had a great second-half chance saved, Hodgson said: "There was some good combinations between him and the wide players and Dirk Kuyt. He worked very hard but he's still missing that elusive goal.

"There were a couple of quite good occasions for him to score but I think he'll feel it was a good 90-minute workout for him and another step in the right direction."

Hodgson was also quizzed on Meireles playing on the right.

He said: "We don't play with wingers. The way he plays and the way Joe Cole plays, we think (playing wide midfield) is more than suited to their qualities.

"We saw evidence of that in the game because they often got into situations where they received and turned with the ball - especially in the first half. I think we can get some use from Raul Meireles there with his passing ability."

Oh dear! ???
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:06 pm

I think its fair to say that fans were fully expecting a performance from the team .... it wasn't so long ago that players would publicly say we owe the fans an improved display ....what happened to owing the fans Lads ? because the way it looks from where I'm sitting is that your now  seriously in arrears ... I would struggle providing a description to what i witnessed tonight ,because in a team littered with supposedly first teamers and Internationals  that was dire, and I expect a Liverpool manager to provide us with answers and provide us with a semblance of hope ...I am not asking for much even a spell of sustained pressure ,even some one touch passing would give me a glimmer of hope ,even playing someone up front with Torres ... but whilst  it seems the obvious course of action to those watching in despair ...still the manager remains oblivious ..... I wonder can he feel the pain we endure ....does his stomach tighten with every groan of the fans, does he know how unrecognisable this team and its players are to the Liverpool colours on their cowardly backs
who are these charlatans who is this masquerading as players who give a toss ....can we please be honest and end this pathetic charade
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:07 pm

We created some very good chances ?! Really ?  I can only remember the one chance from Torres while they created numerous .
Benny The Noon

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:08 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote:I didnt see the match but are people really calling for his head because we drew away in europe?
???

Listen - you can't defend that absolute sh*te we've been seeing. We're f*cking 16th in the league. Our football is going backwards with no sign whatsoever of improving. Torres is being instructed to f*cking come from the half way line to defend corners FFS! From Roy's appointment in the summer, so far I've seen rougly 30 minutes of football where we've looked to actually dictate and control a game, and that was the second half against Arsenal on the first day of the season, which we were down to 10 men oddly enough.  It is not the results. It's the performances! We're shockingly bad, so much so, that no team fears us, home or away. Don't even try to defend what can't be defended. If we draw or even get beat against Blackpool, Roy should get the sack or resign. Simple as that. It'll be October and we'd be 17th or worse in the league. Disgraceful.

Spot on mate, this has either terry Venables and Leeds written all over it or Ramos sacked from Spurs and Arry reviving them lets hope for our sake its the Spurs scenario.

Just read what Roy said, oh dear he thinks we are Fulham  :(
Last edited by Ciggy on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote:Just seen Torres sitter miss.
Not very good.

The goal keeper saved it.

I know. I saw it
Thommo's perm

Postby rocky29 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:15 pm

Thinkpad wrote:SAME old problem plauguing the team. We are not attacking oriented.
Just pass the ball around (square pass or back pass).
No ideas going forward. Static players with ball pass behind the players or at their feet.

Liverpool players has forgotten how to hold the ball under pressure since Rafa's time.
I was hoping Roy can fix this, but it seems he too like to play like this.
If this doesn't change, I guess we need him changed as well.
Getting a different manager to play the same way is a waste of everybody's time.

Offense is the best defense, Brazil did not win World Cup titles by being the best defensive team.
I won because it is the best offensive team.
While I am ready to support the manager 100% I just cannot see how he can change his shortcomings.
A leopard never loses its spots. I hate to say this, unless he changed his coward ways in team tactics, he has no place in Liverpool.
I am already sick of the 4-5 years of rubbish coward football. Can't stand another season of this dross.
:angry:

spot on mate he seems to have the exact same tactics as rafa did. Thats probably why he never ended up getting another striker. He thought id rather flood the midfield and keep it tight mentality.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby mart » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:29 pm

rocky29 wrote:spot on mate he seems to have the exact same tactics as rafa did. Thats probably why he never ended up getting another striker. He thought id rather flood the midfield and keep it tight mentality.

Wat?
Have you seen any matches?
mart
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games