FC UTRECHT VS LIVERPOOL - thursday 30th september 18.00pm ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:20 pm

for reason i might never know, we tend to do well in Europe. and hopefully we could get a good result out of this match which could be the stepping stone to a win against Blackpool during the weekend.

we now travel to Holland to face FC Utrecht, the former clubs of notable names such as Dick Advocaat, Co Adriaanse and our very own Dirk Kuyt.

currently, their star player is Ricky van Wolfswinkel who has scored 13 goals in 13 games, 7 of those coming in Europe.

apart from him, the only stand out player i reckon from their team would be Dries Mertens, an attacking midfielder.

in comparison, our squad boasts household names such as Gerrard, Torres, Reina, Cole, etc. on paper, we should beat them hands down but due to current displays, a lack of energy in attack and the fact that its an away match, this could be a tough match for us.

im predicting a rather conservative line-up with a couple of fringe players, perhaps even Jones in goal. but i feel considering how garbage we are in the league, the EuropaCup may be our only shot at silverware this season hence should be taken seriously.

my line-up would be (4-1-2-1-2):

reina

carra----skrtel----kyrgiakos-----agger

lucas

gerrard-----meireles

cole

kuyt---torres

drop Johnson as he is not producing the goods. Gerrard and Meireles can get back to support Lucas if needed (4-3-2-1). while Cole and Kuyt would be the ones trying to link the midfield and attack and give Torres the supply he craves for. or perhaps moving Gerrard to the right wing with Cole on the left turning it into (4-4-2) could be an option too. i reckon this is a flexible position and our strongest 11 are out there.

prediction, 3-1 win to Liverpool.

maypaxvobiscum

Postby centarec » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:27 pm

i think that Hodgson is gonna go for the draw here and try to play it safe. And it's definetly gonna be another HARD TO WATCH game
centarec

Postby Eagle » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:26 am

All change!

Jones

Kelly     Kyrgiakos     Skrtel     Agger

Spearing    Lucas

Rodríguez     Pacheco     Jovanovic

Ngog

Subs: Babel, Cole, Kuyt, Shelvey, Wilson, Darby, Reina
Eagle

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:56 am

Eagle wrote:All change!

Jones

Spearing    Lucas

Ngog

you're putting out the reserves. why? do you think this club is too good for the Europa League hence its a waste of time?

winning the cup that we're gonna be in again next season would be nice as we're not gonna finish 4th this season.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:20 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Eagle wrote:All change!

Jones

Spearing    Lucas

Ngog

you're putting out the reserves. why? do you think this club is too good for the Europa League hence its a waste of time?

winning the cup that we're gonna be in again next season would be nice as we're not gonna finish 4th this season.

Winning the Europa League would be good cos we'd qualify for it next year.  (Something we might not achieve through our league position).

Weren't utrecht the team that battered Celtic?  If so, id say 3 - 1 to them.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Fauxy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:09 pm

I would play a strong team for this match.

Maybe just leave Gerrard + Torres on the bench and instead start Shelvey and Ngog. Or Maybe Pacheco instead of Shelvey.

I expect Lucas to start this one unfortunatly

:(
Fauxy

Postby Madmax » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:22 am

I'd player gerrard, torres, cole and raul!! Give them more time to play with each other and create a better understanding!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:35 am

ye lets play another weakenf side and lose yet another game pathetic.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:23 am

rocky29 wrote:ye lets play another weakenf side and lose yet another game pathetic.

But "wind up" posts aren't allowed right  :D

Anyway on a more serious note, I hope Roy plays a good team for this. I wouldn't play Gerrard and Torres simply because they are too vital to us to justify cutting them out of their cotton wool suits, but everyone else is fair game I would have thought.

Feck tiredness ands freshness too, if we can't beat Blackpool at the weekend regardless of all that then we are in the sh!te.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:34 am

Stick with the same core of players that have done well in Europe so far and let them carry on hopefully getting good results .
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:51 am

Benny The Noon wrote:Stick with the same core of players that have done well in Europe so far and let them carry on hopefully getting good results .

I would normally agree with that, but I think circumstances this time demand a change.

Firstly, practically the same team which has done well in Europe got beat by Northampton the other night. There will be a few wounded soldiers in the side, and I'd go with a couple of leaders.

Secondly, a few of our first team players look to me like they could use a game. Mereiles and Cole have barely played, Poulsen could do with a run, as could Konchesky. Johnson is low on confidence and would benefit from doing something right.

Thirdly, the first team are playing sh!t. In these circumstances, another game to iron out the rough spots is no bad thing.

At some point, we are going to have to try and get something going this season. Win in Holland and beat Blackpool at Home, and we've won two on the bounce. It's not much, but it's a start. Every run has to start somewhere.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Raven » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:56 am

2-0 to them,

We have zero confidance right now, there will be turning point sometime. This wont be it.
The Raven

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:13 am

I would play a strong side.
We need to try and get some confidence back and that comes from good results.
Play a weakened side and risk losing and the confidence being knocked further.
Players like Torres and Johnson need to get back to form if we are going to start climbing the league.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby rocky29 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:47 am

bigmick wrote:
rocky29 wrote:ye lets play another weakenf side and lose yet another game pathetic.

But "wind up" posts aren't allowed right  :D

Anyway on a more serious note, I hope Roy plays a good team for this. I wouldn't play Gerrard and Torres simply because they are too vital to us to justify cutting them out of their cotton wool suits, but everyone else is fair game I would have thought.

Feck tiredness ands freshness too, if we can't beat Blackpool at the weekend regardless of all that then we are in the sh!te.

explain to me why thats a wind up post. Stop trying to be a bully and let other people have a say.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:13 pm

bigmick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Stick with the same core of players that have done well in Europe so far and let them carry on hopefully getting good results .

I would normally agree with that, but I think circumstances this time demand a change.

Firstly, practically the same team which has done well in Europe got beat by Northampton the other night. There will be a few wounded soldiers in the side, and I'd go with a couple of leaders.

Secondly, a few of our first team players look to me like they could use a game. Mereiles and Cole have barely played, Poulsen could do with a run, as could Konchesky. Johnson is low on confidence and would benefit from doing something right.

Thirdly, the first team are playing sh!t. In these circumstances, another game to iron out the rough spots is no bad thing.

At some point, we are going to have to try and get something going this season. Win in Holland and beat Blackpool at Home, and we've won two on the bounce. It's not much, but it's a start. Every run has to start somewhere.

I agree that sending out a strong team could be useful for them to get some more game time and to try and find some form - but what happens if they lose again and what sort of message does it send out to the guys who have been playing so well in europe . Think the best idea would be to have a bit of mixture - Play Meireles in his favoured position alongside Lucas , put Pacheco in the hole with Maxi and Babel in the wider positions and have Ngog up front . At the back Kelly deserves to keep his place at right back with the greek and agger in the middle and konchesky at left back .
Benny The Noon

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games