MANCHESTER CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 1st team to beat man city at home?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:17 am

Bamaga man wrote:
i've said i'd play him on the right for the sake of the team. we're a better balanced team when gerrard plays in that position and it means he can concentrate on doing what he does best which is hurting the opposition in the final third.

He gives us shape and provides an outlet. I mean today, nearly everything we did came from down our left flank. Our right side was non existent because it's benayoun's natural instinct to come infield

If you didnt know any better it would be easy to think your talking about Gerrard in this last quote, obviously your talking about Yossi.

In the first quote you think we're better balanced when Gerrards on the right what you've said about Yossi sums up Gerrard for me when he's on the right.

You're probably right Bamaga,but the difference is Gerrard knows when to release the ball, if Benayoun did I think we may have scored today mate.
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:18 am

Today's game was the perfect example, of when teams sit back against us and allow us time on the ball. The tempo of our play becomes slow, thus making it much harder for us to break them down.

If City had come at us, the tempo of the game would of been quicker, okay there would of been space to exploit. But when were in full possesion and we're dictating the pace of the game due to the other teams standing off, we struggle as we dont move the ball around quick enough.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:19 am

s@int wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
i've said i'd play him on the right for the sake of the team. we're a better balanced team when gerrard plays in that position and it means he can concentrate on doing what he does best which is hurting the opposition in the final third.

He gives us shape and provides an outlet. I mean today, nearly everything we did came from down our left flank. Our right side was non existent because it's benayoun's natural instinct to come infield

If you didnt know any better it would be easy to think your talking about Gerrard in this last quote, obviously your talking about Yossi.

In the first quote you think we're better balanced when Gerrards on the right what you've said about Yossi sums up Gerrard for me when he's on the right.

You're probably right Bamaga,but the difference is Gerrard knows when to release the ball, if Benayoun did I think we may have scored today mate.

So your blaming Yossi for us not winning then ?  :laugh:

Watch out mate, certain members will be very quick to point that out.
66-1112520797

Postby holylamb2006 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:20 am

I think ur right there as well ....

Gerrard does the exact same thing wat yossi would do just better ....
holylamb2006

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:24 am

Bamaga man wrote:
s@int wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Oy Saint shame on you fancy blamin Yossi for us not winning i never expected to hear talk like that from you :D
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:29 am

the difference is, gerrard moves infield to link up once he's released the ball to a teammate. his starting position when he plays right side is more often than not out wide. he'll then give a pass and then link up and hope that steve finnan or whoever's playing right back will overlap.

benayoun on the other hand tends to drift infield even when he hasn't got the ball. therefore we can't stretch the play and use the whole width of the pitch.

where's bigmick to back me up when you need him? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:31 am

where's bigmick to back me up when you need him?

Probably stuck in the rotation thread. :D
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:32 am

NANNY RED wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
s@int wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Oy Saint shame on you fancy blamin Yossi for us not winning i never expected to hear talk like that from you :D

:down:  You can't really blame Benayoun for not being as good as a world class player like Gerrard.

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:33 am

banana wrote:Arbeloa 6
Not his best position but filled in for Sami/Agger and did not let the team down.

Caragger 6
In games like this I suspect a player like Agger would have made a big impact. Carra defended well but he creates nothing from the back and his passing was a bit off.

Just read that back to yourself. you're saying Carra and Arbeloa deserved the same score today? Carra a 6!?!

:no
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby holylamb2006 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:36 am

Caragger 6
In games like this I suspect a player like Agger would have made a big impact. Carra defended well but he creates nothing from the back and his passing was a bit off

His passing was a bit off :D

Talk about being harsh :D
holylamb2006

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:38 am

Scottbot wrote:
banana wrote:Arbeloa 6
Not his best position but filled in for Sami/Agger and did not let the team down.

Caragger 6
In games like this I suspect a player like Agger would have made a big impact. Carra defended well but he creates nothing from the back and his passing was a bit off.

Just read that back to yourself. you're saying Carra and Arbeloa deserved the same score today? Carra a 6!?!

:no

Great spot there lad no comparison with Carra today
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:45 am

Anyway im off to bed been a long day
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:52 am

G'night Nanny, I hope thats not Bamaga going with you :D

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:58 am

Bamaga man wrote:
s@int wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

And I'd agree to a certain extent. While it wasn't fully Yossi's fault we didn't win, he didn't help the frustrated amongst us when he failed to pass the ball in some very promising attacks we had. Too many times he tried to be the hero and tried to beat one person too many when the best thing to do would have been a simple pass inside or out into space. His solo run near the end was the worst. He took far too many touches when it was there to be smashed inside the area early. He should definitely have scored in that game. He's as guilty as any, if not more so, of missed chances.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:58 am

Funny game today and tbh I would have been fairly happy with a draw at 4pm. I think the lads and the manager probably paid City a little too much respect the first half and maybe expected them to come out a bit more than they did. I was chuffed to see Mascher in the middle for this one but as the game wore on you felt it was more a game for a (fit and firing) Alonso to get on the ball and make something happen. I thought we were a bit sluggish first half, we didn't move the ball quickly enough and to be fair to City they had an excellent gameplan and executed it perfectly, denying Torres any space to run into. I see Richard Dunne is getting plenty of credit for his performance but not enough in my book, that was as good a performance from a centre-half as you will see this season, VERY impressive. Second half was much better and we carved out umpteen half-chances but nothing clear-cut. I thought Mascher was superb, Carra ran him a close second and Aurelio and Kewell look like our most promising partnership down the left side. Arebeloa had a tough time at CB and i think his inclusion shows that the manager does not believe Hobbs is ready (i agree with him, i don't think the lad is strong enough). Kuyt is getting stick again but i thought he did ok today, he saw a lot of the ball, some of his link-up was good and if Torres had finished the chance just after half-time we'd all be praising Kuyt for the clever dummy to play him in. We're a very good side, powerful, very functional, well organised, we have too special players in Carra and Reina, and two very special players in Gerrard and Tores BUT the truth is in games like this we lack that the guile and cleverness to open up a well drilled side like City. Usually Crouch is an option off the bench if the manager wants to change the point of attack but today's game was crying out for little Luis or someone of his ilk. We haven't come close to replacing him, Bennayoun is a decent player but he is a poor man's Garcia for me and Kuyt (for all his effort) is no game-breaker in the 2nd striker's role.

Saying all that, i thought the team played well today, they worked hard, kept passing the ball, played out from the back, played through the midfield and kept probing for the goal. Beat Wigan at Anfield and that's 10 points from a possible 12. No shame in that.
Last edited by Scottbot on Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion