LIVERPOOL VS MANCHESTER CITY - Build up here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby TheoRacle » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:22 am

So... a strong performance is required for

a) Momo
b) 2nd position at the end of the season
c) to make us all feel better after Lisbon

Carra's out with a suspension for his last yellow card so we'll probably see Agger with Sami at the back. Finnan is an automatic choice for RB and Riise gets preference over Warnock for LB because of his ability to offer extra attacking options and support Kewell.

Kewell then for LM with Xabi and Stevie G in the middle and I'd like to see Kromkamp get a start on the right.  IMO we need to take this game by the horns and there's no better combo than that central midfield to do it.  I think Kromkamp has looked eager so far and can at least offer a passable impersonation of a RM in what is surely our most problematic position (in spite of our striking problems).  With Jan on the right Stevie can concentrate on showing Joey Barton how to play and hopefully orchestrate some better service for our forwards.

Forwards... hmmmm..  as Robbie wont be playing due to a gentleman's agreement between the two clubs, I'd opt for Crouch and Cisse up front.  With Gerrard in the centre we'll have a player capable of driving through and onto Crouch's lay offs and then playing Cisse through onto goal or having a dig himself. Mori needs a break (for our sake perhaps more than his :D ) and as I'm optimistic about his partnership with Fowler - (a bit to early to say its blossoming) I'd like to see him concentrate on developing that partnership without having to re-adjust to Crouch's style.

It goes without saying that we need to score but it would be great to actually get 2 or 3 in light of what's required for the return against Benfica. Much depends on Cisse IMO, I do believe that he can score goals and I'd like to see him get a full 90mins (up front and not as a RW) to show it.

Subs. Dudek, Warnock, Didi, Garcia and Anderson.

A bit buggered at the back if we pick up an injury with only Warnock for cover but we could always go to 3 at the back if we're controlling the game like we should be. I'd like to see Anderson get a spot on the bench, he looks promising and can play up front or on the right and probably couldnt do any worse that those playing those positions in this line up.

Reina

Finnan      Agger          Sami            Riise

Alonso
Kromkamp                                    Kewell
                        Gerrard

Cisse       Crouch

Edited to add formation.
Last edited by TheoRacle on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:49 pm

Reina
finnan           agger           hyypia         risse

garcia           gerrard            alonso          kewell

cisse               crouch

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby TheoRacle » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:38 am

Nobody but RichardLFC1 interested or what?

FWIW mate, my selection is pretty similar though I'd prefer to start Kromkamp on the right and keep Garcia as a sub for Cisse if things arent going well there.  I think Kronkamp is more likely to stay out wide and get the crosses in than Luis who in my opinion likes to cut inside too much. This then forces one of the strikers out wide and negates any chance they have of getting on the scoresheet.

Edited for spelling.
Last edited by TheoRacle on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:40 pm

sorry, just bringing this back to the top as the official thread for all the build up.

for what it's worth, i can't see anything but a win from this game. with carra suspended, agger MUST play if he is fit. traore should be allowed nowhere near the starting eleven.

reina

finnan        hyypia      agger        riise

gerrard       hamann    alonso      kewell

crouch       cisse

i'll go for a 2-0 win with crouch and gerrard to score.
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:58 pm

i pray to god that Traore doesn't play  :bowdown
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:42 pm

Agger set for Anfield recall
Feb 24 2006
By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

DANIEL AGGER is set to be handed another opportunity to impress The Kop on Sunday as Jamie Carragher serves a one-match ban against Manchester City.

The Danish midfielder has only featured once since his £5.5m arrival from Brondby.

But he's ready to fill the void against Stuart Pearce's side as the Reds seek to recover from the disappointing midweek defeat to Benfica.

Agger, who has recovered from a slight injury scare, has trained normally this week and is expected to partner Sami Hyypia.

Carragher misses the game having picked up his fifth booking of the season during the FA Cup win over Manchester United.

Elsewhere, Rafa Benitez must try to solve his side's goalscoring problems without striker Robbie Fowler.

Fowler won't be considered for selection against City due to a gentleman's agreement when he left the City of Manchester Stadium.

That means Peter Crouch is likely to partner Fernando Morientes.

Steven Gerrard will also return to the side, having been rested as a precaution for 80 minutes of the game in Lisbon.

Momo Sissoko's absence restricts Benitez's midfield options, and Gerrard, Didi Hamann and Xabi Alonso must now share the workload in the centre of the park for the rest of the season.

Sissoko's condition has improved, but it won't be clear until next week how serious his eye injury is.

Out-of-favour striker Djibril Cisse's hopes of going to the World Cup suffered a blow yesterday as he was left out of the French squad for the forthcoming friendly with Slovakia in Paris next Wednesday.

Source : http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liv....ge.html
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:09 pm

It'll be nice to see Agger again. FWIW I was far from convinced by his debut but as he is so highly rated by all and sundry it is reasonable to assume there is much better to come so hopefully we'll see some of it on Sunday. He'll need to be at the top of his game as the Man City front two of any pair from Cole/Vassel and that new bloke (Samaras?) can cause anybody a problem on their day. I think he probably found the sheer physicality of the Prem a bit of a shock which is fair enough but I felt he got caught wrong side once or twice and hopefully now he's had a few more games albeit in the reserves he'll get better.
I would personally go with Hamann and Gerrard in the centre, resting Alonso simply because he needs it. I agree with the big O when he says he'd start with Kromkamp and I would consider resting Kewell and going with Warnock/Riise down the left. Whoever plays left-back will need to be a decent header (and I think Warnock is) because Man City do aim a lot at Sinclair with restarts and he is strong in the air.
Up top,if Fowler can't play then for me it's an absolute no-brainer. Crouch and Cisse to try and get something going with Garcia to replace one or the other from the bench assuming his ears have cooled down after having the boxing he surely recieved for his woeful performance on Tuesday. Needless to say and I make no apologies for being predictable and repetitive, I wouldn't entertain Morientes in the team. That said, I'm sure he will start alongside Crouch.
It's important that we win, and it's important that we come second. Ultimately though, it's more important that we do the business against Benfica so I expect to see a slightly unusual team.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:12 pm

for your information: (from bbc sport)

Liverpool have won 75 of 150 matches in all competitions against Manchester City. They're vying for a third successive home victory against them, having won 2-1 in February 2004 and repeated the scoreline six months later. Last season's corresponding fixture saw Nicolas Anelka open the scoring against his former club, Milan Baros equalise, and Steven Gerrrard fire the decider to give Rafa Benitez a winning home start to his managerial career at Anfield. One goal from John Arne Riise was sufficient to secure the points at the City of Manchester Stadium in November, and set the Reds up with the chance of 'doubling' City for the 15th time, but first since 1989/90.

Going into the weekend: 3rd 51 points
(all statistics are ahead of this weekend's round of Premiership fixtures)

Won 15 Premiership matches. Only Chelsea (21) and Manchester United (16) have won more.
Won their last two League matches against Wigan (0-1 a) and Arsenal (1-0 h).
Shipped 17 goals in the top table. Only the leaders have conceded fewer (16).
Kept 17 clean sheets in the top flight this term - more than any other club.
Kept clean sheets in last two League games, but failed to score in the previous two.
Their 26 League games have yielded 49 goals (32 for, 17 against). At 1.88 goals per game, it's the lowest such ratio in the highest League.
Not scored more than a single goal in seven Premier League outings.
Gone nine highest League contests since winning by more than a single goal (1-3 at Everton on 28 December).
Gone 22 Premiership matches since a goalless draw (home to Manchester United on 18 September).
Accumulated in excess of 51 points after the first 26 matches of a Premiership season only once. The Reds had 52 points at this same stage in 1996/97, when eventually finishing fourth.
Scored only twice in the first 15 minutes of Premiership matches this season - conceded only twice.

Looking for a 14th home game without loss in League and Cup.
Won 11 and drawn two on home soil, since losing to Chelsea on 2 October.
Unbeaten in 10 home League encounters (nine wins, one draw).
Kept clean sheets in nine of the last 10 League games at Anfield, and just one goal in 908 minutes (15 hours eight minutes) of League soccer in front of the home faithful.
Conceded only five League goals at Anfield - the tightest home defence in the top division.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:22 pm

Rafael Benitez has admitted he must choose between Daniel Agger and Djimi Traore to fill Jamie Carragher's shoes against Manchester City on Sunday. 
Carragher will sit out the clash with Stuart Pearce's men after collecting five bookings this season and earning an automatic one game ban.

Danish new boy Agger has recovered from a minor injury and is fit to play while Traore also gives Benitez another option.

"Both players are training hard and playing well so it's a difficult decision to pick one of them to partner Sami," he said.

"I have confidence in either of them doing the job though. Carra is a big player for us but I am sure the team we pick will be good enough to get the three points."

Benitez also confirmed Robbie Fowler won't be involved this weekend because of an agreement made with City following the striker's switch last month.

"City were very helpful to us in organising the transfer of Robbie and so we came to an understanding with them that Robbie won't play in this game," added the Reds' boss.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:11 pm

well if i was rafa i'd wait until 65minutes then bring Fowler on and fk the agreement! alls fair in love and  football! :D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:21 pm

staurt pearce will get a good reception.

i want gerrard in the middle to get to grips with barton as he controls alot of there play and in the middle he looks more likely to score as well which would be nice.

this is a tough game as city play a very high tempo game and we are looking tried at times but they are a young team and we will dominate midfield.  i don't like it but i think he will start cissie off crouch to put them under pressure not to play to far up the pitch.

pepe
                finnan     agger sami      jar
                garcia        alonso        kewell
                           gerrard
                        cissie crouch
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Theo@home » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:57 am

stmichael wrote:sorry, just bringing this back to the top as the official thread for all the build up.

i'll go for a 2-0 win with crouch and gerrard to score.

Thanks StMike  :D

City have score 8 and conceded 8 in their last six games with a total of 36 for and 30 against for the season.  So on paper, their attack does not look all that more efficient than ours and their defence is certainly not as good.

Most of their goals have been conceded from outside the 18 yard box which is just where we like to score them from - so that bodes well.

Cole, Vassell and Barton are their main weapons with 9,7 and 6 goals respectively - they also have the most assists for City with 7,6 and 5 respectively so its very much a golden triangle between those three.  Shut them out and 60% of Man City's armoury is nullified.

Having said that, Sibierski has impressed me when I've seen him play so if I was Pearce I'd consider him as a real option upfront.

All in all, we should have this lot comfortably I reckon, particularly if we come out with passion and purpose after the Benfica result and poor Momo's injury.

2-0, Crouch and Cisse.
Theo@home

Postby Woollyback » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:11 am

i have a horrible feeling sunday could be one of those "charlton days". i don't think we'll lose but i have a feeling we'll huff & puff our way to a draw. it's a game we're perfectly capable of winning but i have a sneaky suspicion we'll be all over them for 90 minutes but won't score, or maybe get 1 only for them to do a birmingham and get a flukey late equaliser
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:30 am

TheoRacle wrote:So... a strong performance is required for

a) Momo
b) 2nd position at the end of the season
c) to make us all feel better after Lisbon

Carra's out with a suspension for his last yellow card so we'll probably see Agger with Sami at the back. Finnan is an automatic choice for RB and Riise gets preference over Warnock for LB because of his ability to offer extra attacking options and support Kewell.

Kewell then for LM with Xabi and Stevie G in the middle and I'd like to see Kromkamp get a start on the right.  IMO we need to take this game by the horns and there's no better combo than that central midfield to do it.  I think Kromkamp has looked eager so far and can at least offer a passable impersonation of a RM in what is surely our most problematic position (in spite of our striking problems).  With Jan on the right Stevie can concentrate on showing Joey Barton how to play and hopefully orchestrate some better service for our forwards.

Forwards... hmmmm..  as Robbie wont be playing due to a gentleman's agreement between the two clubs, I'd opt for Crouch and Cisse up front.  With Gerrard in the centre we'll have a player capable of driving through and onto Crouch's lay offs and then playing Cisse through onto goal or having a dig himself. Mori needs a break (for our sake perhaps more than his :D ) and as I'm optimistic about his partnership with Fowler - (a bit to early to say its blossoming) I'd like to see him concentrate on developing that partnership without having to re-adjust to Crouch's style.

It goes without saying that we need to score but it would be great to actually get 2 or 3 in light of what's required for the return against Benfica. Much depends on Cisse IMO, I do believe that he can score goals and I'd like to see him get a full 90mins (up front and not as a RW) to show it.

Subs. Dudek, Warnock, Didi, Garcia and Anderson.

A bit buggered at the back if we pick up an injury with only Warnock for cover but we could always go to 3 at the back if we're controlling the game like we should be. I'd like to see Anderson get a spot on the bench, he looks promising and can play up front or on the right and probably couldnt do any worse that those playing those positions in this line up.

Reina

Finnan      Agger          Sami            Riise

Alonso
Kromkamp                                    Kewell
                        Gerrard

Cisse       Crouch

Edited to add formation.

Warnock's last first team outing was disastrous. Riise should slot easily with Harry on left wing.

We have a lot to prove especially after midweek.

One who has a lot to prove is Cisse, recently being dumped from the French National first team. If he has any heart and determination in him, this weekend should see him perform like a crazed idiot, and hopefully bag a few goals. He'll be used on the bench though i feel.

Mori needs this match to prove that he has what it takes. Unfortunately, if he starts and doesnt score, it will spell the last of Mori at Anfield.

Gerrard will slot into mid with Alonso and Garcia/Kromkampp on the right. Agger will be preferred to Traore, but I'm not too sure if we should use him yet. He won't be used to the pace of the league yet.

All in all, me thinks 3-1 Liverpool wins: Mori hat-trick. Hopefull i know, but faith is needed, for him at least.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lawrenson_sarah » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:10 am

I hope we win this game

I hope Traore doesnt play, he always seems to :censored: something up that ends up costing us a goal or something rediculous :(

I recon we will win 2-0
www.myspace.com/lawrenson_sarah

www.sarahlawrenson.piczo.com

He's scouse, he's sound. He'll T-w-a-t you with a pound Carragher - Carragher
lawrenson_sarah
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion