MANCHESTER CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 1st team to beat man city at home?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:51 am

altho drawing away to mancity isnt the worst result, i hear now we have NEVER beaten a top 5 team away from hme since rafa took over...which is disgraceful!!!

why didnt we play like we did in the last 10 all game?

very puzzling, and annoying
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:26 am

NANNY RED wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
banana wrote:Arbeloa 6
Not his best position but filled in for Sami/Agger and did not let the team down.

Caragger 6
In games like this I suspect a player like Agger would have made a big impact. Carra defended well but he creates nothing from the back and his passing was a bit off.

Just read that back to yourself. you're saying Carra and Arbeloa deserved the same score today? Carra a 6!?!

:no

Great spot there lad no comparison with Carra today

Carragher almost gifted them a goal. Mascherano sacrificed himself and made a match winning tackle. After that tackle he limped around for a minute or so. What I tried to say was in a game where the opposition is playing with 10 men behind the ball good passing and creativity and speed on the ball is key to opening them up. Agger has that quality. Caragger don't. I missed that last night that's all.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:48 am

banana wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
banana wrote:Arbeloa 6
Not his best position but filled in for Sami/Agger and did not let the team down.

Caragger 6
In games like this I suspect a player like Agger would have made a big impact. Carra defended well but he creates nothing from the back and his passing was a bit off.

Just read that back to yourself. you're saying Carra and Arbeloa deserved the same score today? Carra a 6!?!

:no

Great spot there lad no comparison with Carra today

Carragher almost gifted them a goal. Mascherano sacrificed himself and made a match winning tackle. After that tackle he limped around for a minute or so. What I tried to say was in a game where the opposition is playing with 10 men behind the ball good passing and creativity and speed on the ball is key to opening them up. Agger has that quality. Caragger don't. I missed that last night that's all.

The fact is Carragher had a fantastic game at centre-half yesterday, comfortably our best player after Mascherano while Arbeloa had a stinker (he had more slices than Mr Kipling) yet you gave them both a 6? As for creativity from our centre-halves i would prefer it if they concentrated on defending. There was nothing wrong with Carragher's passing yesterday, we played the ball out from the back all game, nothing fancy but simple balls into the feet of our midfielders will do me fine. Agger is a good young player but lets not sit here and pretend  that his prescence would have made much if any difference to our attacking play yesterday. Yes he is comfortable on the ball and he can pick a pass but he is no Mathias Sammer. As usual on here, a player gets injured and the longer they are out the better they become.
Last edited by Scottbot on Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ferrariboy21 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:24 pm

LFC.tv Highlights
Enjoy match highlights of Manchester City v Liverpool.

DOWNLOAD
ferrariboy21

Postby Owzat » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:34 pm

dawson99 wrote:altho drawing away to mancity isnt the worst result, i hear now we have NEVER beaten a top 5 team away from hme since rafa took over...which is disgraceful!!!

I heard before the game that Rafa had said a draw isn't the worst result when rivals have dropped points, made me think maybe he saw a draw at COMS as a positive result. To some degree it is a decent result, but in context we've already drawn too many and it's costing us. We've got much tougher away days to come, just the small matter of the top three against whom we've lost EVERY AWAY LEAGUE GAME under Rafa.

We should beat Man City, they were vulnerable yesterday and looked far from a side with one of the best home records this season.

And why are we off the pace? We've the best away record in the Premiership, however we've drawn FOUR home games and lost another so we've dropped ELEVEN points while the mancs and Arsenal have dropped just TWO

HOME (TOP FOUR)

Man Utd P10 W9 D1 L0 PTS 28 GD +19
Arsenal P10 W9 D1 L0 PTS 28 GD +16
Chelsea P10 W6 D4 L0 PTS 22 GD +12
Liverpool P9 W4 D4 L1 PTS 16 GD +14

AWAY (TOP FOUR)

Liverpool P10 W6 D3 L1 PTS 21 GD +7
Arsenal P10 W5 D4 L1 PTS 19 GD +8
Chelsea P10 W6 D1 L3 PTS 19 GD +4
Man Utd P10 W5 D2 L3 PTS 17 GD +7

Even though the mancs have lost more games than us, they've still EIGHT points in front albeit we have a game in hand
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:22 pm

dawson99 wrote:altho drawing away to mancity isnt the worst result, i hear now we have NEVER beaten a top 5 team away from hme since rafa took over...which is disgraceful!!!

Rafa is smart but i doubt if he has Ferguson's fighting spirit. I think he and the team need to be more aggressive
whylongball?

Postby skatesy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:27 pm

Owzat wrote:

I heard before the game that Rafa had said a draw isn't the worst result when rivals have dropped points, made me think maybe he saw a draw at COMS as a positive result. To some degree it is a decent result, but in context we've already drawn too many and it's costing us. We've got much tougher away days to come, just the small matter of the top three against whom we've lost EVERY AWAY LEAGUE GAME under Rafa.

We should beat Man City, they were vulnerable yesterday and looked far from a side with one of the best home records this season.

And why are we off the pace? We've the best away record in the Premiership, however we've drawn FOUR home games and lost another so we've dropped ELEVEN points while the mancs and Arsenal have dropped just TWO

HOME (TOP FOUR)

Man Utd P10 W9 D1 L0 PTS 28 GD +19
Arsenal P10 W9 D1 L0 PTS 28 GD +16
Chelsea P10 W6 D4 L0 PTS 22 GD +12
Liverpool P9 W4 D4 L1 PTS 16 GD +14

AWAY (TOP FOUR)

Liverpool P10 W6 D3 L1 PTS 21 GD +7
Arsenal P10 W5 D4 L1 PTS 19 GD +8
Chelsea P10 W6 D1 L3 PTS 19 GD +4
Man Utd P10 W5 D2 L3 PTS 17 GD +7

Even though the mancs have lost more games than us, they've still EIGHT points in front albeit we have a game in hand

If you just want to get by and finish in the top four then, sure, a draw is absolutely fine.

However, if you want to win the title then a draw is not acceptable when the other teams who you are fighting against have ALL lost points within the last week. It is unacceptable.

If Liverpool were playing the way they did in the last 10 minutes throughout the majority of the game they would've won. They need to be more aggressive. Gerrard hardly passed the middle of the park throughout the first half. I mean, what is up with that?
skatesy

Postby polygemus » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:43 pm

I wasn't too sure of Arbeloa at CB at first. But against Darius Vassell he was perfect for the role. Aurelio had a good game, he shows more intelligence than Riise in passing.

Benayoun is never a right midfielder, nor is Babbel. Is it that hard to find a right footed guy who can cross?? Which brings us to another problem with crosses. We do not have a striker who can head the ball properly. Crouch for all his height gets beaten in the air by smaller defenders most of the time. And a scrawy neck means insufficient muscular power when connecting with the ball. And dun tell me Torres and Kuyt are good headers of the ball. Ever witness Miroslav Klose of Germany in action with his headers?

Gerrard played some really stupid passes yesterday which reminded me of Sissoko.

Torres need to be less whiny and stopped going down too easily.

Kuyt.......needs to lose several pounds and go for sprinting lessons. I am pretty sure he and Hyppia have the same top speed.

Carragher....superb. But gotta stop hoofing the ball high upfield. Damn it, doesn't he watch Cannavaro or Thuram in action?

Finnan....solid game for someone coming back fr injury. However at age 31 (or 32?) he was outclassed by Petrov.

Mascherano....MOM. Anyway for all of Masherano's performances I dread that we will not be able to afford him and he end up elsewhere. We need to hold onto a whole class player like him. 

Sell Crouch, sell Sissoko, raised the money to keep Mascherano.
polygemus

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:55 pm

polygemus wrote:I wasn't too sure of Arbeloa at CB at first. But against Darius Vassell he was perfect for the role. Aurelio had a good game, he shows more intelligence than Riise in passing.

Benayoun is never a right midfielder, nor is Babbel. Is it that hard to find a right footed guy who can cross?? Which brings us to another problem with crosses. We do not have a striker who can head the ball properly. Crouch for all his height gets beaten in the air by smaller defenders most of the time. And a scrawy neck means insufficient muscular power when connecting with the ball. And dun tell me Torres and Kuyt are good headers of the ball. Ever witness Miroslav Klose of Germany in action with his headers?

Gerrard played some really stupid passes yesterday which reminded me of Sissoko.

Kuyt.......needs to lose several pounds and go for sprinting lessons. I am pretty sure he and Hyppia have the same top speed.

Carragher....superb. But gotta stop hoofing the ball high upfield. Damn it, doesn't he watch Cannavaro or Thuram in action?

Finnan....solid game for someone coming back fr injury. However at age 31 (or 32?) he was outclassed by Petrov.

Mascherano....MOM. Anyway for all of Masherano's performances I dread that we will not be able to afford him and he end up elsewhere. We need to hold onto a whole class player like him. 

Do you support Liverpool or a German team lad cause some of your comments are a joke

From what you said we need a whole new team by the looks of it .
Gerrard cant pass
Strikers cant head the ball
Wingers cant cross
Carra the hoofer
Torress the diver

Looks like you only like Masherano
The founder of the Masher fan club eh mate
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:55 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Can someone tell me though when that Richard Dunne became that good because i can never remember him bein that good he was always a fat :censored:

he used to be fat and slow but then got his act together, man city's player of year for three years running. one of ireland's only good players.

wouldnt' be a bad purchase although prob getting on a bit, Dunne,Carra and Agger competing for two spots, also if any were injured we'd be well sorted,he's also used to playing beside Finnan.

Don't know how much he'd cost though.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:04 pm

polygemus wrote:I wasn't too sure of Arbeloa at CB at first. But against Darius Vassell he was perfect for the role. Aurelio had a good game, he shows more intelligence than Riise in passing.

Sprinting lessons! :D

On Finnan, I thought Petrov only managed to get one dangerous cross in all game and that was when Arbeloa came over to pick him up on the counter.  Not bad for an auld fella.  :;):
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:07 pm

I thought we played a good game, tbh.

Those asking why we didn't attack from the start like men possessed, should understand that Man City are a very good counter-attacking side, with much more pace than our back line. We'd have been murdered if we'd pushed up before their attackers got tired.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:11 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

Sprinting lessons! :D

On Finnan, I thought Petrov only managed to get one dangerous cross in all game and that was when Arbeloa came over to pick him up on the counter.  Not bad for an auld fella.  :;):

Bob there coming out the woodwork today lad what with him and Frank best laugh if had all day :D
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby holylamb2006 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:18 pm

one of ireland's only good players

Ye ur right there but now he retired from international footie :(
holylamb2006

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:21 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I thought we played a good game, tbh.

Those asking why we didn't attack from the start like men possessed, should understand that Man City are a very good counter-attacking side, with much more pace than our back line. We'd have been murdered if we'd pushed up before their attackers got tired.

It's a good point.  With Petrov, Elano, Vassel and Ireland we had to be careful not to get picked off on the counter.  Things got a little easier after players started to tire and after Sven started making his substitutions.

A few have also had a go at Stevie for sitting deep and hitting long balls in the first half.  Well, Man City were getting lots of bodies behind the ball and were cutting off a lot of the passing channels.  They had an extra man in midfield as well and there simply wasn't room for Stevie to rampage forward effectively (Didi saw to that).  The only way in behind was the diagonal ball beyond their full backs and the only player who was going to let us do that was Kewell (Yossi was never getting in behind down the right).  For those that don't think Kewell offers us much anymore, watch how many times he provided the outlet for the Gerrard diagonal ball.  Watch his first touch and control and then watch how he caused problems for their right back, both down the flank and cutting in field.  Sure, a bit more quality on his final ball would have been nice but he was the only threat we had in the first half and that's why he or someone of his quality are necessary--how else are we going to get in behind teams that sit deep and pack the centre of the park against us?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion