MANCHESTER CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 1st team to beat man city at home?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:48 pm

parchpea wrote:A team ready to win the title would have gone for City and taken all 3 points.

You only have to look at the way Arsenal dismantled Everton as soon as Utd slipped up. Thats what potential winners do and we didnt and never do it.

yeah, if only our opponents would hand us four goals on a f#cking plate everytime one of our nearest rival slipped up we'd be well sorted. ???

arsenal didn't dismantle everton. they played route one football and everton folded like the bunch of useless ba$tards that they are.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redmikey » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:04 pm

apart from in front of goal i thought it was a positive game all over, sven knew he was out classed and shut up shop after 30 mins, torres should have scored. dirk looks like he will never ever score again

lets remember city have only dropped 4 point at home all season,

this is the type of game you need a bit of luck in to win it and we just didn't get it, and that is what makes a title winning team, you only had to watch arsenal against the bitters to see a team that had a stinker and yet came away with all 3 piont after some right luck, hand ball, :censored: up at the back etc

10 points off the top is to much to recover from imho, but we can get alot closer than we have been in the last couple of years, and i think given money in jan rafa will buy well
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby PossesionFootball » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:31 pm

Don't think i've seen many premiership games like that before...more like Serie A, n i loved it, lol. Thought Babel should certainly have come on earlier at the least. Kuyt is an average striker, and not worth what we spent on him...how many points are hiss misses gonna cost us come the end of the season? Torres should've scored too but i can't criticise him given his goal return.Despite a few good runs, Benayoun didn't provide much; i'm not convince by him atall, don't think he can do it in the big games. We need more attacking options, don't see that there'll be much money though any time soon which is a worry.

Carragher and Mascherano were class for us defensively, but we badly need another center back, Arbeloa can't be asked to play there. Aurelio looked good too, wich doesn't look good for Riise, given that Arbeloa's been class at left back too, and we need money for a center back. City's defensive organization was quality too, so i don't think we can be too hard on ourselves. Liked our shape and passing too, think we're stating to look more like title contenders...just a couple of players short.
PossesionFootball

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:07 pm

banana wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
banana wrote:Arbeloa 6
Not his best position but filled in for Sami/Agger and did not let the team down.

Caragger 6
In games like this I suspect a player like Agger would have made a big impact. Carra defended well but he creates nothing from the back and his passing was a bit off.

Just read that back to yourself. you're saying Carra and Arbeloa deserved the same score today? Carra a 6!?!

:no

Great spot there lad no comparison with Carra today

Carragher almost gifted them a goal. Mascherano sacrificed himself and made a match winning tackle. After that tackle he limped around for a minute or so. What I tried to say was in a game where the opposition is playing with 10 men behind the ball good passing and creativity and speed on the ball is key to opening them up. Agger has that quality. Caragger don't. I missed that last night that's all.

Hmm, this puzzles me. How anyone can criticize Carragher in the game yesterday goes beyond a joke. Some of the tackles he made, some of the interceptions and last ditch blocks had me scratching my head and asking "is there a better defender in the Premiership?" No, f*ck that, "Is there a better defender in the World?" Honestly, just how good is the man? He's something else.

All through that game it was well noticeable that Arbeloa was struggling. He just couldn't cope with the position. I've played center-half before and it's a very uncomfortable place to be on the pitch being the last line of defense bar the keeper. Arbeloa simply isn't up to the task to play in that position. He shanked too many balls, and was caught out of position and left Carragher to cover for him. So how anyone can deduce that Arbeloa's performance yesterday was on a par with Carraghers is a mystery worthy of the Krypton Factor.

And if you're talking about a central defender being guilty of not being able to find a killer ball to unlock the defense of a team that defended with 11 men behind the ball, then i'd love to know what central defenders it is you watch week in week out that is capable of doing this. maybe Rafa could sign one up. We'd be sorted. But then again, there was I thinking that this kind of role should be down to a mid fielder or a second striker to find this killer pass. It's almost as ridiculous as trying to state that Carragher was guilty of not getting in the box enough or didn't have enough shots on goal.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:24 pm

Don't understand Bananas poor rating for Carragher. As others have said he was playing alongside a "fill in " CB for whom alarm bells were ringing from the kick off. Given the circumstances I thought Carragher performed extremely well. As for his lack of creativity , FFS when have we ever expected Carra to be creative ? would have thought by now that anyone who calls themselves a Liverpool fan would've recognised what Carraghers game is.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:31 pm

On Carragher, it is interesting that Soccernet included him and not Dunne in its Team of the Week yesterday.  I don't necessarily agree with that, since keeping Torres quiet is a hell of a lot harder than dealing with Darius Vassell.  Nonetheless, Carra did have to shepherd Arbeloa through a very tricky game so he was doing duty and a half a lot of the time.  Like Stevie, I think we often take Carra's consistent quality for granted.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby holylamb2006 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:32 pm

HOME (TOP FOUR)

Man Utd P10 W9 D1 L0 PTS 28 GD +19
Arsenal P10 W9 D1 L0 PTS 28 GD +16
Chelsea P10 W6 D4 L0 PTS 22 GD +12
Liverpool P9 W4 D4 L1 PTS 16 GD +14

I have to say our home record is shockingly bad compared to the top 4 teams even man city ....
holylamb2006

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:25 pm

We were playing much better and with more consistancy when Pako was around.  I just wish that Rafa and Pako could sort things out enabling Pako to return to Anfield.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:18 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Don't understand Bananas poor rating for Carragher. As others have said he was playing alongside a "fill in " CB for whom alarm bells were ringing from the kick off. Given the circumstances I thought Carragher performed extremely well. As for his lack of creativity , FFS when have we ever expected Carra to be creative ? would have thought by now that anyone who calls themselves a Liverpool fan would've recognised what Carraghers game is.

I've never understood banana on anything regarding football.

This is the same guy who claimed hyypia was "finished" three years ago and also tried to convince us all that baros was a better striker than owen.  :laugh:

Stu the red used to absolutely destroy the guy. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Santa » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:46 am

bigmick wrote:It's actually quite a good result given their home record but the simple fact of the matter is that quite good results really aren't good enough for us at the moment. Had we have beaten Birmingham, Blackburn, Reading etc etc then this would have been OK, but we didn't and it isn't. If the rols had been reversed and Man Utd were ten points behind or so and one of their rivals had lost out of the blue, would they have gone to Man City and won? You can't be certain of course, but my feeling is that they probably would have. The one thing you cna be absolutely certain of is that they would have risked losing in order to win the game. They would have had three up top for the last twenty minutes, would probably have pushed a centre half into midfield and allowed their attacking midfielder to bomb on and generally done whatever it took to win it. It was a win or bust game for me, and although we've got what appears to be a good result and were by all accounts a bit unlucky, it's still disappointing.

Agree..."they would have risked losing in order to win the game" and how true is that. Rafa's mentality is that as long a we don't lose or keep a clean sheet, that's something to take home and be happy with and that's so wrong if you want to win the league. You won't hear Arsene or Fergie singing the same tune...who cares how many goals we concede so long as we can out score our opponent...and how many games can you see an Arsenal or ManU not scoring? The only statistics that matter Rafa is how many league titles you win, not the numbers of goal attempts, % of possession, clean sheets and all the bulls...

I feel the team is still a couple of players short and we have a manager who's clearly not yet ready to win the league...although I have faith in Rafa eventually crack it (if only the cowboys have the same patience as me)

sorry for the rant guys
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:24 am

Santa wrote:
bigmick wrote:It's actually quite a good result given their home record but the simple fact of the matter is that quite good results really aren't good enough for us at the moment. Had we have beaten Birmingham, Blackburn, Reading etc etc then this would have been OK, but we didn't and it isn't. If the rols had been reversed and Man Utd were ten points behind or so and one of their rivals had lost out of the blue, would they have gone to Man City and won? You can't be certain of course, but my feeling is that they probably would have. The one thing you cna be absolutely certain of is that they would have risked losing in order to win the game. They would have had three up top for the last twenty minutes, would probably have pushed a centre half into midfield and allowed their attacking midfielder to bomb on and generally done whatever it took to win it. It was a win or bust game for me, and although we've got what appears to be a good result and were by all accounts a bit unlucky, it's still disappointing.

Agree..."they would have risked losing in order to win the game" and how true is that. Rafa's mentality is that as long a we don't lose or keep a clean sheet, that's something to take home and be happy with and that's so wrong if you want to win the league. You won't hear Arsene or Fergie singing the same tune...who cares how many goals we concede so long as we can out score our opponent...and how many games can you see an Arsenal or ManU not scoring? The only statistics that matter Rafa is how many league titles you win, not the numbers of goal attempts, % of possession, clean sheets and all the bulls...

I feel the team is still a couple of players short and we have a manager who's clearly not yet ready to win the league...although I have faith in Rafa eventually crack it (if only the cowboys have the same patience as me)

sorry for the rant guys

Have to agree with yours and bigmick's comments. Although personally i think it was a good result it isn't good enough as we had drop lots of points ealier in the season.

To win the league...we have to pretty win all our games and at least draw at manure, arsenal and chelsea...

So while i think a draw at spurs away is a good result for us when we do eventually meet them (seeing how they are playing at the moment)...it will not do us any good in the title race.

But look at the bright side....we are STILL in the champions league.....whoooo hoooo
Last edited by The_Rock on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion