MANCHESTER CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 1st team to beat man city at home?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby destro » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:32 am

Bamaga man wrote:
Fair enough if people have something against Kuyt because of the way he has played in some of the previous games, but to single him out for the two lost points today is IMO stupid.

Nobody has though, your obviously assuming they are.

What am I assuming ?

That people have a problem with Kuyt due to his performances in previous games

or

That they blame him for the dropped points today ?

I don't really have the will to scrawl back through every Kuyt bashing post to prove any of the above to be true, its taking all my energy to wonder why it took two seperate replies to one post ?

so lets just leave it there.
God forbid Paranoia should set in  :)
destro

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:35 am

My "perspective" won't earn us a single extra point and neither will yours mate.

Lets just say then I hope the players dont have the same "perspective" as you.

United gave as an opportunity, we didnt take it as usual and I wish we'd had applied more pressure on the City box than we did. Like I said the only real pressure came in the last five minutes and we left it too late.

I think we had the players out there to beat them today, I dont think we were a 'Luis Garcia' short, but we needed to up the tempo and the pressure 15 minutes before we did, I reckon we'd of broken them down over a longer period.
66-1112520797

Postby europian-kings » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:35 am

derby
mancs
villa
newcastle
middlesboro
birmingham
sunderland
reading
bolton

This is who have come to city this season and gone home with 0 points. blackburn would have and maybe should have been on that list if it wasn't for that controversial goal. we went there, controlled the large majority of the game and ok we didn't get the 3 points we may have liked but we got 1 point mroe then the above. if city defend that well against arsenal and chelsea they too will have a problem winning.
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby zarababe » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:35 am

Dalglish wrote:
zarababe wrote:Oh and Ian - you still predicting - thought nappy changing would have made that an impossible task  :D

Form and Nappies are temporary but class is permanent ............I'M TOP  :D

:D   boys will be boys  :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:36 am

destro wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
Fair enough if people have something against Kuyt because of the way he has played in some of the previous games, but to single him out for the two lost points today is IMO stupid.

Nobody has though, your obviously assuming they are.

What am I assuming ?

That people have a problem with Kuyt due to his performances in previous games

or

That they blame him for the dropped points today ?

I don't really have the will to scrawl back through every Kuyt bashing post to prove any of the above to be true, its taking all my energy to wonder why it took two seperate replies to one post ?

so lets just leave it there.
God forbid Paranoia should set in  :)

Destro if you havent got the energy, dont bother posting eh ?
66-1112520797

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:39 am

That's one of the most frustrating games I've ever seen, we dominated the game but just couldn't manage to get the ball in the net. It wouldn't drop for us, and Torres missed a couple of great chances, that he'd normally tuck away.

Having said that, City defended stoutly - Dunne in particular was exceptional throughout. He was their Carragher today.

I can't fault our approach in any significant way, we went to win the game, we attacked, we battled but just couldn't get the break we needed.

Arbeloa put in a good shift after a few shakey moments initially, Carra was a rock as usual, making some excellent blocks in the first half.

If I was to criticise our performance it would concern decision making in the final third, and the release of the ball in the final third.

Gerrard made some poor decisions with his passing, he was wasteful at times, especially in the second half. In the first half, he played much deeper, spraying the ball about but I didn't see him making any steaming runs into the box when Kewell was out wide and looking for the cut back. The left-wing to Gerrard edge of the box/just inside the box cutback type of move was missing. That was particularly frustrating. Often it was a slow build up towards the edge of the box for him, and by then City had men back ready and waiting.

Benayoun meandered his way into the box on a couple of occasions, but again, he didn't release the feckin ball. RELEASE THE FECKING BALL :angry: .

Also, I thought we didn't switch the play quickly enough at times in the second half. We had a fair bit of space in the middle of the park but really needed to get in behind City, this means switching the play sharpish. They tired quite a bit in the second half and I thought a quicker release of the ball would have troubled them, unfortunately Kewell was knackered too, and Babel isn't a natural taker of the ball coming from the left wing.

Mascherano was MOM for me, he was outstanding. I don't think we could have made that type of approach to the game with Alonso playing, not least because he wasn't fully match fit and up to speed - but also because he lacks the pace Mascherano has (he is still a fantastic player though - I just think we may have been more prone at to City counter attacks had he payed, and had we stayed with the same approach).

Overall, a very good performance at a very tough venue. We're still in the hunt.
LFC2007

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:42 am

destro wrote:I waited a while to post just so all the "Blame Kuyt" fans could have their say. They didn't dissappoint  ???

What exactly did Kuyt do wrong that Torres didn't do ? Kuyt had two decent chances both on target and blocked by deffenders and one where the keeper pulled off a great save, Torres had two including a one on one with the keeper and fluffed them both. And what was with him running off down the tunnel without applauding those who travelled to watch the match ?. He spent the game sulking from the first challenge by Richards ( yellow card offence by the way, and according to Graham Poll the one on the edge of the box should have been his second ) and let his head drop and spent much of the rest of the game falling over and rolling round, maybe the more money you cost the less criticism you can receive ?

The only players to escape any criticism from the game IMO are Mascherano and Carra, I would include Reina but he didn't have anything to do

well said. i thought kuyt had a better game than torres.

having said that, as leon pointed out earlier, torres looked completely knackered to me.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Dalglish » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:43 am

Bamaga man wrote:
My "perspective" won't earn us a single extra point and neither will yours mate.

Lets just say then I hope the players dont have the same "perspective" as you.

United gave as an opportunity, we didnt take it as usual and I wish we'd had applied more pressure on the City box than we did. Like I said the only real pressure came in the last five minutes and we left it too late.

I think we had the players out there to beat them today, I dont think we were a 'Luis Garcia' short, but we needed to up the tempo and the pressure 15 minutes before we did, I reckon we'd of broken them down over a longer period.

Your implying my perspective is different to the players and your perspective is the same as theirs ?

I didn't say I was happy with a point, I didn't say I was pleased with a point but in the light of the other 9 teams who have gone to City this season and got sweet FA I'd say a point was less than we deserved but more than other teams have got there this season.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:47 am

LFC2007 wrote:Benayoun meandered his way into the box on a couple of occasions, but again, he didn't release the feckin ball. RELEASE THE FECKING BALL :angry: .

I like Benayoun but it's still obvious to me that we miss Pennant. He gives us shape and provides an outlet. I mean today, nearly everything we did came from down our left flank. Our right side was non existent because it's benayoun's natural instinct to come infield and try and link up with the strikers.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:48 am

LFC2007 wrote:That's one of the most frustrating games I've ever seen, we dominated the game but just couldn't manage to get the ball in the net. It wouldn't drop for us, and Torres missed a couple of great chances, that he'd normally tuck away.

Having said that, City defended stoutly - Dunne in particular was exceptional throughout. He was their Carragher today.

I can't fault our approach in any significant way, we went to win the game, we attacked, we battled but just couldn't get the break we needed.

Arbeloa put in a good shift after a few shakey moments initially, Carra was a rock as usual, making some excellent blocks in the first half.

If I was to criticise our performance it would concern decision making in the final third, and the release of the ball in the final third.

Gerrard made some poor decisions with his passing, he was wasteful at times, especially in the second half. In the first half, he played much deeper, spraying the ball about but I didn't see him making any steaming runs into the box when Kewell was out wide and looking for the cut back. The left-wing to Gerrard edge of the box/just inside the box cutback type of move was missing. That was particularly frustrating. Often it was a slow build up towards the edge of the box for him, and by then City had men back ready and waiting.

Benayoun meandered his way into the box on a couple of occasions, but again, he didn't release the feckin ball. RELEASE THE FECKING BALL :angry: .

Also, I thought we didn't switch the play quickly enough at times in the second half. We had a fair bit of space in the middle of the park but really needed to get in behind City, this means switching the play sharpish. They tired quite a bit in the second half and I thought a quicker release of the ball would have troubled them, unfortunately Kewell was knackered too, and Babel isn't a natural taker of the ball coming from the left wing.

Mascherano was MOM for me, he was outstanding. I don't think we could have made that type of approach to the game with Alonso playing, not least because he wasn't fully match fit and up to speed - but also because he lacks the pace Mascherano has (he is still a fantastic player though - I just think we may have been more prone at to City counter attacks had he payed, and had we stayed with the same approach).

Overall, a very good performance at a very tough venue. We're still in the hunt.

Thats a good post, sums my feelings up pretty much.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:50 am

stmichael wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Benayoun meandered his way into the box on a couple of occasions, but again, he didn't release the feckin ball. RELEASE THE FECKING BALL :angry: .

I like Benayoun but it's still obvious to me that we miss Pennant. He gives us shape and provides an outlet. I mean today, nearly everything we did came from down our left flank. Our right side was non existent because it's benayoun's natural instinct to come infield and try and link up with the strikers.

And you claim Gerrards best position is right mid  ???
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:57 am

stmichael wrote:I like Benayoun but it's still obvious to me that we miss Pennant. He gives us shape and provides an outlet. I mean today, nearly everything we did came from down our left flank. Our right side was non existent because it's benayoun's natural instinct to come infield and try and link up with the strikers.

I agree with what you say about Benayoun, but I honestly don't believe we will see Pennant and Kewell playing left and right wing together away from home. I think if Pennant plays you will see a left midfielder ( Aurelio/Riise/ Benayoun) rather than Kewell and when Kewell plays it will be a hard working right midfielder (Gerrard/Benayoun/Voronin/Kuyt)

The only time I can remember when we played two attacking real wingers was against Arsenal last season when we played Gonzo and Pennant, but with three in the middle (Gerrard /Mascherano/Alonso)
account deleted by request

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:04 am

Bamaga man wrote:
stmichael wrote:

Ill be honest with you though Bamaga i did wonder when Rafa was gonna make a sub was he gonna bring Yossi off and put Gerrard on the right and bring on Yep im gonna say it Alonso alongside Masherano just to get the movement goin down the right and the neat little passes coming through the middle.

But i was left wonderin   :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:05 am

Bamaga man wrote:
stmichael wrote:

i've never said his best position is right midfield. i've said i'd play him on the right for the sake of the team. we're a better balanced team when gerrard plays in that position and it means he can concentrate on doing what he does best which is hurting the opposition in the final third.

i don't want to see gerrard playing central in a 4-4-2 and doing what he was doing against united, derby and city. i mean he was playing deeper than mascherano ffs and trying to pick a pass from 50-60 yards. is he under instruction or what? only in the last 20 minutes against derby did we see the real steven gerrard that we all love.

i think he's a fantastic central midfielder aswell but i think he'd be far more effective in a three man central midfield, just like lampard at chelsea. basically, they have players around lampard to get the best out of him and i feel we've got this with alonso and macherano as all three of them offer different qualities.

here's a quastion. if we go to the san siro against inter protecting a 1-0 lead, can you really see rafa playing gerrard central in a four man midfield because i can't?
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:10 am

i've said i'd play him on the right for the sake of the team. we're a better balanced team when gerrard plays in that position and it means he can concentrate on doing what he does best which is hurting the opposition in the final third.

He gives us shape and provides an outlet. I mean today, nearly everything we did came from down our left flank. Our right side was non existent because it's benayoun's natural instinct to come infield

If you didnt know any better it would be easy to think your talking about Gerrard in this last quote, obviously your talking about Yossi.

In the first quote you think we're better balanced when Gerrards on the right what you've said about Yossi sums up Gerrard for me when he's on the right.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion