LIVERPOOL vs MAN CITY: 04/05/08 4pm - Match Build up and Discussion here.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Mon May 05, 2008 2:47 am

LFC2007 wrote:In response to the question of Torres playing today;

To quote Rafa on Torres’ substitution against Chelsea;

“He had problems in his hamstring. When I asked him he said he felt something so I needed to change him.”

So Torres signalled the injury – to which Rafa responded dutifully. If kept on, he may have been caused further problems which could have left him out for up to 6 weeks -  in the short-term potentially ruling him out of the Euro’s, and longer-term making him more susceptible to recurrences of the problem – as happened with Owen.

In a game in which you’ve just gone 2-1 down, is it worth risking your second best player by leaving him on, even if he is signalling a problem?

It’s not as if Rafa pulled him off for a laugh, Torres indicated he felt a problem, so he took him off.

He’s not a medical expert, if the player signals a problem, and he’s a vital player – you take him off.

Rafa can only go by what the player is telling him, and what the physio’s are recommending. Hamstring problems are only ever ‘suspected’, they can only be confirmed after an MRI scan, so the decision is taken there and then on the bench. If it later turns out to be a very minor, and swiftly treatable strain, you’re thankful you took him off.

The decision to play him today would indicate that it was either a very minor strain, or a suspected strain that didn’t turn out to be a problem.

If you are of the opinion that Rafa was “styling” (or that he should have ignored what Torres and his physio’s had said), what effect would Torres staying on have had on Chelsea scoring a third just a few minutes later anyway?

Source ?

or you making this up you dumb witted M0R0N....

M0R0N.......
Last edited by The_Rock on Mon May 05, 2008 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon May 05, 2008 2:57 am

The_Rock wrote:

“He had problems in his hamstring. When I asked him he said he felt something so I needed to change him.”

So Torres signalled the injury – to which Rafa responded dutifully. If kept on, he may have been caused further problems which could have left him out for up to 6 weeks -  in the short-term potentially ruling him out of the Euro’s, and longer-term making him more susceptible to recurrences of the problem – as happened with Owen.

In a game in which you’ve just gone 2-1 down, is it worth risking your second best player by leaving him on, even if he is signalling a problem?

It’s not as if Rafa pulled him off for a laugh, Torres indicated he felt a problem, so he took him off.

He’s not a medical expert, if the player signals a problem, and he’s a vital player – you take him off.

Rafa can only go by what the player is telling him, and what the physio’s are recommending. Hamstring problems are only ever ‘suspected’, they can only be confirmed after an MRI scan, so the decision is taken there and then on the bench. If it later turns out to be a very minor, and swiftly treatable strain, you’re thankful you took him off.

The decision to play him today would indicate that it was either a very minor strain, or a suspected strain that didn’t turn out to be a problem.

If you are of the opinion that Rafa was “styling” (or that he should have ignored what Torres and his physio’s had said), what effect would Torres staying on have had on Chelsea scoring a third just a few minutes later anyway?

Source ?

M0R0N.......

As I have learned, you are only feeding him, ignore the prat for what he his. He incites arguments. His opinion is worth nothing.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon May 05, 2008 2:59 am

Good result today.  It could easily have been more, as we were all over them for long spells--which is great to see after a deflating outcome midweek.  Torres offered the Kop another sublime strike and he's now equaled RVN's record of 23 league goals in his first season in England.  Let's hope he nets against Spurs to take those bragging rights! :nod  I liked the look of Insua today, I thought Kuyt played well but was unlucky, Voronin was appalling as usual and I thought the supporters' tribute to Hamann when he came on was superb.  All in all, a good day to close out the Anfield season. :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Mon May 05, 2008 3:05 am

Kharhaz wrote:
The_Rock wrote:

Source ?

M0R0N.......

As I have learned, you are only feeding him, ignore the prat for what he his. He incites arguments. His opinion is worth nothing.

JoeTerp

Postby Simari » Mon May 05, 2008 4:01 am

A manager who has taken us to 2 CL finals and 3 Semi-FInals in 4 years ...The best of any club manager in recent history, CL wise

and yet, some on here want him out since he made a decision they did not like?

Seriously, get real - There were some VERY GOOD reasons to take Torres off that night.

We lost because our Defense conceded 2 cheap goals, not because of the substitution. Torres was hurt and a liability at that point.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Mon May 05, 2008 7:30 am

s@int wrote:
The Manhattan Project wrote:Does anyone else think that MOTD 2 is far more entertaining than MOTD?

I think it helps that they don't take themselves so seriously as Motd does. Maybe because the presenter is not a former famous footballer and not known previously as a sports commentator he can take chances that they won't. Not having Mark Lawrenson on obviously helps as well.

It helps that mr ego (Lineker) isn't presenting, I don't like Adrian Chiles much but he does think he's god's gift to football (and other sports he's presented on).

I had to laugh when I heard Leicester were relegated!

As for the game, nothing at stake so it proved as meaningless and pointless as was pretty much expected. Torres kept up his scoring streak, but needs to score one more to beat the horse's first season tally. Kuyt missed a few chances, but at least he got in positions to score which certain other players don't do often enough - and from a wide position. He should be converting more chances, but then who else besides Gerrard and Torres is exempt from criticism? (this season) I think people have got carried away with the job SGE did at citeh, their early season form was based on a few 1-0 wins and he spent quite a lot of money on a team/squad with no staying power. Some pundits mention it being one of their better seasons in the Premiership, it is also one of their biggest spending seasons, and some tend to take a top ten finish as magnificent when a lot of teams do it.

Outside the top four or five there is no defined order, almost any team that has a decent season can expect a top ten finish with so many who have off seasons and a Premiership that includes Derby, Birmingham, Fulham, Reading, Wigan, Sunderland and Bolton ie seven ordinary teams, means it's not hard to finish at least 13th, top 10 even easier with Newcastle and spudz having poor seasons

So a solid enough performance with not much at stake. While some may read a lot into us heading for 76 points we're still no closer to the title and even if we get off to a flier next season we'll still be anticipating a poor run that puts us out of contention. With finishing as displayed yesterday have we really 'made progress'?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:34 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:i seriously think some on here just like to moan. we've won a game and people are still knit picking. just be happy with the three points. a win is a win. you don't get bonus points for scoring four goals, you still only get three points if you win by one goal or by fifty goals.

just be happy that the squad Benitez picked today was good enough to win. lets not start moaning that Crouch didn't play or the fact that Voronin did. Do that when we lose/draw because that's when the tactics/selection obviously wasn't good enough, but when we win, it's obvious that those selected were good enough, so lets enjoy the win. final game of the season at anfield, and we've went out with a win.

well done lads.

Its a fact John that some on here just moan!
Heimdall for example rarely says a positive word about LFC,his friend the Rock is not far behind him!I doubt its anything personal towards the club though.Some people are just like that in life.Its called manic depression! :D

I can just imagine Heimdall on Christmas day when everyone else is happy,sitting in the corner with a Kleenex crying because the turkey was not up to his standards or some other trivial thing,or the Rock moaning after the best sh.ag of his life because he has to lie on the wet patch!

Its a fact of life,no matter what some people have they always find something to moan about.
I just dont see the sense that if LFC make people so damn miserable,why bother taking interest.
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon May 05, 2008 12:10 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
NansPanofScouse wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
cpc4eva wrote:it amazes me how many times kuyt misses.... u could have a 2 hour dvd released on kuyts missess unbelievable......

well , there's nothing u can do abt luck , i'm sure no striker would have hit that header better and hit such a powerful shot better

There is a differnce between luck and just plain technique, how come 9/10 when torres is faced with the goal he scores?

and how come when Kuyt is given chances they end up down the swanny?

He should be gone by next season.

I'm sick of fans like you . Kuyt has done a more then decent job since being moved to a winger , he was the man of the match in both the inter and arsenal games in the champions league . Kuyt has  11 goals in total and 7 assist in the league , thats a decent ratio a striker who has had to change his gameplay to a winger's . Any more complains? Torres and kuyt are 2 different players but if u think torres could have done a better job out of those 2 chances 1 which hit the crossbar and the other a fantastic save form hart , other then that i think torres could only have hit the free header better

who are u kidding?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon May 05, 2008 12:12 pm

Number 9 wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:i seriously think some on here just like to moan. we've won a game and people are still knit picking. just be happy with the three points. a win is a win. you don't get bonus points for scoring four goals, you still only get three points if you win by one goal or by fifty goals.

just be happy that the squad Benitez picked today was good enough to win. lets not start moaning that Crouch didn't play or the fact that Voronin did. Do that when we lose/draw because that's when the tactics/selection obviously wasn't good enough, but when we win, it's obvious that those selected were good enough, so lets enjoy the win. final game of the season at anfield, and we've went out with a win.

well done lads.

Heimdall for example rarely says a positive word about LFC,his friend the Rock is not far behind him!I doubt its anything personal towards the club though.Some people are just like that in life.Its called manic depression! :D

I can just imagine Heimdall on Christmas day when everyone else is happy,sitting in the corner with a Kleenex crying because the turkey was not up to his standards or some other trivial thing,or the Rock moaning after the best sh.ag of his life because he has to lie on the wet patch!

Its a fact of life,no matter what some people have they always find something to moan about.
I just dont see the sense that if LFC make people so damn miserable,why bother taking interest.

or maybe its just desire and ambition
maypaxvobiscum

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon May 05, 2008 1:40 pm

JoeTerp wrote:

well done lads.

funny you should say that when the league could be decided on goal difference this year

hows it funny?

the league may well be decided on goal difference, wow. united have got a better goal difference, no more points though which was clearly the point being made. You can have a goal difference of +100 and still not win the league, because points are what's so vitaly important.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon May 05, 2008 1:42 pm

Kharhaz wrote:

well done lads.

Win or lose its a pointless game as far as LFC are concerned. As is tottenham. A win is always welcome but the season is settled. Time to advertise our deadwood.

how is in unimportant? it was the last game of the season at Anfield, so the fans wanted to see us go out on a high. The fans like me had spent money to watch so don't wanna see players uninterested. It was a chance to see a few of the fringe players. But most importantly it was a game involving Liverpool Football Club which automatically makes it important.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon May 05, 2008 1:46 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Number 9 wrote:

well done lads.

or maybe its just desire and ambition

desire and ambition yes. moaning for the sake of it now.

I want us to win every game by 50 goals at least, but when we don't I don't start complaining, I praise the lads because they've won a game and every game in football is hard to win. Nothing gives us a god given right to turn teams over. We have to work hard for it. So when we do, the lads and manager deserve credit for it.

When we don't win, then I'll moan as loudly as anybody. I was in the minority of moaning at the 1-1 at Stamford Bridge in the league earlier this season, because it was two points dropped when we were in a position that required us to win games. Also I expect us to win every game anyway, so when we don't it's a disappointament.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:39 pm

The_Rock wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
The_Rock wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:all different kinds of hamstring injuries, but I thought it was funny how Gerrard would suffer from headaches in league games before champions league matches this year. Because he was heading the ball to much in practice :laugh:

This is why i don't think rafa is the correct man to lead us.... He makes decisons which are so incomprehensible.... that it is downright "stupid" sometimes...

Now it's back to, 'he's not the correct man to lead us' ???

First it was

It's over, he has to go, he has to go.

Then it was:

And I like to make this clear....I hope rafa stays.... What he has done in europe this season is nothing short of a miracle... and he has earned his right. He has been competent in his job.

Fickle beyond  :no

Shut up M0R0N...... Whats so fickle about it ? He was amazing up until the semi finals of the champions league...so he earned his right to stay...

In answer to your question 'what's so fickle about it?'.

Going from:

It's over, he has to go, he has to go.

To:

And I like to make this clear....I hope rafa stays.... What he has done in europe this season is nothing short of a miracle... and he has earned his right

It would be a satisfactory season (for me at least) even if we had to go out in the semis.

To:

This is why i don't think rafa is the correct man to lead us.

Is fickle.

In summary, you go from one extreme to the other in a short space of time, then backtrack to your original view.

Definition
Fickle:
1) likely to change, esp. due to caprice, irresolution, or instability; casually changeable

2) not constant or loyal in affections
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:41 pm

The_Rock wrote:

Source ?

M0R0N.......

www.liverpoolfc.tv

So well known I'd have thought most LFC fans would have read the quotes.

A great, well constructed point of view by the way.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Kharhaz wrote:
The_Rock wrote:

Source ?

M0R0N.......

An ironic statement.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion