Dirk kuyt - A discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mr_weed_80@hotmail.com » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:18 pm

how the feck did no teams in the prem catch on to the fact that bayern have been doing amazing in the transfer window, they are bringing in klose and they've brought in ribery
ribery seemed perfect for our problems on the wing, why the fek we didnt go for him i have no idea
i have a superstition our americans are secretly little druggys  :)
mr_weed_80@hotmail.com

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:24 pm

To be honest, I think Kuyt is being used wrongly. When he plays on the shoulder of the last defender, he looks a genuine threat and isn't afraid to have a pop at goal but when he's playing on his own or just behind somebody, he invarably ends up doing all the donkey work in the wrong places and it's not uncommon for him to go 90 minutes without having a shot at goal in these cases.

I think if we signed somebody to do the donkey work, I think we'd see a different Dirk Kuyt.

There is a major part in me that believes that we do not need to strengthen our strikers, but to strengthen the ideas and philosophy around them. Playing two deep midfielders means we're 'one short' up front, and if you're going to be successful in that, you need, quick, skillful, bright, witty players out wide and behind. We don't have that, so why keep doing it? If we play 4231 with Kuyt as a lone striker again, I may as well work on the f#cking garden, and I will do just that next year as it's looking bloody shocking right now.

We'd all love a big whopper of a signing up front.. a bit like waking up with an extra 2 inches on your :censored:, but it's not going to answer the questions we have goalscoring wise.

The 20+ league goal scorer stuff is a myth.. but yes, it would be nice. (The answer is below by the way).

Kuyt had a really good first season here, but marks out of 10 wise you'd give him 5. How come? He's got far more to offer the side than running round like a tit all day. Great to see undoubtedly, I love it, but it has all the artistry of a fart in a bath. He needs to get forward far more and goal hang.. picking up the spills in the six yard box.

Crouch? Haven't got a clue how he's using him at all. Bellamy? He'll probably bang in 15 odd for some other side who play to his strengths, not Rafa's ideas. We need runners.. players.. people who can pick the ball up and run and beat players.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby puroresu » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:32 pm

mr_weed_80@hotmail.com wrote:how the feck did no teams in the prem catch on to the fact that bayern have been doing amazing in the transfer window, they are bringing in klose and they've brought in ribery
ribery seemed perfect for our problems on the wing, why the fek we didnt go for him i have no idea

Altintop, Ribery, Luca Toni, Klose.  Bayern are spending and it dont look like its going to stop.  Finish 4th in the league clearly isnt good enough and the board are doing everything possible to make sure they win the league nexy season.

Must note though Bayern are throwing big big wages at these players.
puroresu

Postby maguskwt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:38 pm

puroresu wrote:
mr_weed_80@hotmail.com wrote:how the feck did no teams in the prem catch on to the fact that bayern have been doing amazing in the transfer window, they are bringing in klose and they've brought in ribery

Altintop, Ribery, Luca Toni, Klose.  Bayern are spending and it dont look like its going to stop.  Finish 4th in the league clearly isnt good enough and the board are doing everything possible to make sure they win the league nexy season.

Must note though Bayern are throwing big big wages at these players.

well bayern always 'bully' the other german clubs and buy the best of their players... not really good for their league IMO... but they still managed to finish 4th...lol... serves them right...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:36 pm

maguskwt wrote:
mastercall wrote:In my defense, Sven hasn't done that badly for England. Not under achievers, nor over achievers. It just became a boring team that eventually started losing ground because Sven stopped caring, yet kept getting better and bigger cash deals to his contract.

He did well enough in the other teams before he took the England job so why would we suggest any other manager but refuse Sven?

he took the most talented team in recent english history and did what with it?? come on now he failed and failed miserably...

look at the players available to him... Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Terry, Carragher, Beckham, Owen, Rooney, Joe Cole, Ashley Cole... geez that's like 10 world class players out of 11... not to mention he had very good support players like wright phillips and dyer ... the only think he didn't have is a world class keeper and robinson is decent enough...

the whole backline is class, the whole midfield is class and the whole frontline is class, and I don't even understand why they keep saying england always had a problem left side... that is really down to the inability of the coach...

now compare that to what Klinnsmann did with the Germany squad... podolski, lahm, mertesacker, metzelder, shweinsteiger, kuranyi, klose... I mean some of these names you won't even know before you watch the world cup... the only established star in their team was Ballack...

it is really embarrassing what ericsson did...

on another topic that's mentioned here about Gonzalez...whne rafa said that we were getting the best player in Chile right now... i thought he would be as good as Salas or Zamorano...  :Oo:

One of the biggest piles of horse poo I've ever read on this forum and that is saying something.

:no
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby RedorDead » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:10 pm

stmichael wrote:To be honest, I think Kuyt is being used wrongly. When he plays on the shoulder of the last defender, he looks a genuine threat and isn't afraid to have a pop at goal but when he's playing on his own or just behind somebody, he invarably ends up doing all the donkey work in the wrong places and it's not uncommon for him to go 90 minutes without having a shot at goal in these cases.

I think if we signed somebody to do the donkey work, I think we'd see a different Dirk Kuyt.

There is a major part in me that believes that we do not need to strengthen our strikers, but to strengthen the ideas and philosophy around them. Playing two deep midfielders means we're 'one short' up front, and if you're going to be successful in that, you need, quick, skillful, bright, witty players out wide and behind. We don't have that, so why keep doing it? If we play 4231 with Kuyt as a lone striker again, I may as well work on the f#cking garden, and I will do just that next year as it's looking bloody shocking right now.

We'd all love a big whopper of a signing up front.. a bit like waking up with an extra 2 inches on your :censored:, but it's not going to answer the questions we have goalscoring wise.

The 20+ league goal scorer stuff is a myth.. but yes, it would be nice. (The answer is below by the way).

Kuyt had a really good first season here, but marks out of 10 wise you'd give him 5. How come? He's got far more to offer the side than running round like a tit all day. Great to see undoubtedly, I love it, but it has all the artistry of a fart in a bath. He needs to get forward far more and goal hang.. picking up the spills in the six yard box.

Crouch? Haven't got a clue how he's using him at all. Bellamy? He'll probably bang in 15 odd for some other side who play to his strengths, not Rafa's ideas. We need runners.. players.. people who can pick the ball up and run and beat players.

Not only a good post but the first relating to the topic in a few pages....I do agree with you St Mike that we havn't used our strikers correctly for a while now.
Ever since Owen and Fowler left we have struggled....Heskey came in with high hopes and then Cisse was to be our saviour but they both woefully underperformed.
Both Kuyt and Crouch have shown genuine qualities without really exciting and perhaps you are right, they might be our answer. I do think Kuyt will score more next season then last, infact I'd bet anyone that he will improve his tally this coming season but whether he is the answer to our prayers remains to be seen. I do think he needs someone to ease the pressure on him and I'd love to see that big signing as much as anyone. I am even starting to think Bent might be a possibility although not for half the £17mill that Charlton want for him.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:04 am

Stu.Murph wrote:
maguskwt wrote:
mastercall wrote:In my defense, Sven hasn't done that badly for England. Not under achievers, nor over achievers. It just became a boring team that eventually started losing ground because Sven stopped caring, yet kept getting better and bigger cash deals to his contract.

He did well enough in the other teams before he took the England job so why would we suggest any other manager but refuse Sven?

he took the most talented team in recent english history and did what with it?? come on now he failed and failed miserably...

look at the players available to him... Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Terry, Carragher, Beckham, Owen, Rooney, Joe Cole, Ashley Cole... geez that's like 10 world class players out of 11... not to mention he had very good support players like wright phillips and dyer ... the only think he didn't have is a world class keeper and robinson is decent enough...

the whole backline is class, the whole midfield is class and the whole frontline is class, and I don't even understand why they keep saying england always had a problem left side... that is really down to the inability of the coach...

now compare that to what Klinnsmann did with the Germany squad... podolski, lahm, mertesacker, metzelder, shweinsteiger, kuranyi, klose... I mean some of these names you won't even know before you watch the world cup... the only established star in their team was Ballack...

it is really embarrassing what ericsson did...

on another topic that's mentioned here about Gonzalez...whne rafa said that we were getting the best player in Chile right now... i thought he would be as good as Salas or Zamorano...  :Oo:

One of the biggest piles of horse poo I've ever read on this forum and that is saying something.

:no

how so?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DonnieDarko » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:18 am

To be honest, I think Kuyt is being used wrongly. When he plays on the shoulder of the last defender, he looks a genuine threat and isn't afraid to have a pop at goal but when he's playing on his own or just behind somebody, he invarably ends up doing all the donkey work in the wrong places and it's not uncommon for him to go 90 minutes without having a shot at goal in these cases.

I completely agree. Great post. As our wing play improves so will our goal tally.

We really must avoid strikers like Cisse and Bellamy who almost solely rely on pace (which is why we must avoid bent at all costs). When teams sit back on us (like most do), it leaves them no space at all to run into making them utterly useless. We need 1). a finisher or 2). a very tricky intelligent player. Berbatov comes to mind as does Tevez perhaps.
DonnieDarko

Postby Bammo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:29 am

I thought it might be interesting to compare our top scorers with Man Utds for last season. Although Rooney got a few more, the strikers got about the same for both teams. Kuyt gotus 14when he was often isolated up front. What makes the difference is the return from their midfielders.

Liverpool

Peter Crouch 18
Dirk Kuyt   14
Steven Gerrard MBE  11
Craig Bellamy 9
Robbie Fowler 7
Luis Garcia   6
John Arne Riise 5

Mancs

Ronaldo 23
Rooney 23
Saha 13
Solskjaer 11

It's not just wingers who are creative that we need but also those who can contribute significantly with goals. It says something when Gonzalez was our top scoring winger last season. 

With threats from all over the pitch, Kuyt and whoever he plays up front with (Torres?) will get more space and more chances. I think if Rafa gets the players he wants then we'll see Kuyt getting 15+ goals.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Dotty » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:32 am

Forever_Red wrote:Christ the newbies really do get us a bad name :D

No That newbie gets us the bad name

not all of us.

:rasp
image001.gif
Red Dotty

Postby Scottbot » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:33 pm

Since the Torres deal was finalised a lot of posters are predicting big things for Kuyt next season. Most are assuming his role within the team will change, that he'll spend a lot more time in the box, Torres will load a lot of the bullets and that we will see something of goal poacher this time around but i can't quite see it myself. I'm expecting a better player but not the big transformation that many have predicted.

I'm a fan of Kuyt but i'm not so sure the role he played last year was entirely down to him acting on orders from Benitez. I would defo like to see him playing further up the pitch and he needs to spend more time in the penalty box but i would argue that we saw him play his natural game (or thereabouts) last year. I say that because most players (even if they have been under strict instructions) revert to their natural game during patches of just about every game. Put someone like Luis Garcia or Stevie Gerrard out on the wing and they will invariably drift inside where they are most comfortable. Ask Michael Owen to play as a withdrawn striker and he will no doubt end up playing on the shoulder and the first into the penalty box on several occasions during the game. So i don't really buy the idea that Kuyt is a completely different player to the one we saw last season. For me the player we saw on his debut is the player i would like to see week in week out. That day he was dropping deep, facing up quickly, running at defenders and shooting on site. Direct, selfish and dangerous. More of that please Dirk.
Last edited by Scottbot on Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mick-o dywer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:42 pm

English league is by far the best league in the world, the toughest m hardest league to play in , your players dont get a break at xmas, your players get alot further n europe, you're players are all minted and prob dont appreciate playing for their country, all in all a great set of players  but not a great team,
Mick-o dywer

Postby Scottbot » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:44 pm

Mick-o dywer wrote:English league is by far the best league in the world, the toughest m hardest league to play in , your players dont get a break at xmas, your players get alot further n europe, you're players are all minted and prob dont appreciate playing for their country, all in all a great set of players  but not a great team,

Brilliant.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:45 pm

Mick-o dywer wrote:English league is by far the best league in the world, the toughest m hardest league to play in , your players dont get a break at xmas, your players get alot further n europe, you're players are all minted and prob dont appreciate playing for their country, all in all a great set of players  but not a great team,

What's that got to do with Kuyt  ???
LFC2007

Postby lfcseb » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:44 pm

useless? great player!
Last edited by lfcseb on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lfcseb

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion