ARSENAL V. LIVERPOOL - Wed. April 2nd - Champions League Quarter Finals

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:11 am

tommycockles wrote:
peewee wrote:but anyway i will still get the blame probably   :D

Poor Peewee!  :D

yeah and i just got a pm from leon telling me off for intimating there are gays  in the navy and ordered to insert a smiley, while he totally ignores the fact that the first comment about being gay was said by kazza, however I am not intimating all sailors are gay, just this one individual who chose to bring homosexuality into the conversation. Also I dont see the ladyboy comments being removed which are racist.

same old same old, its peewees fault for everything
112-1077774096

Postby redtrader74 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:15 am

Fcking hell, middle aged kids. He said, she said...blah, blah, blah
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:17 am

redtrader74 wrote:Fcking hell, middle aged kids. He said, she said...blah, blah, blah

yeah and once again it all starts because peewee posts something about football and all the bully boys start on their pathetic quest, just accept my belief about kuyt and be done with it ragther than go down the petty route of trying to force your opinions.

ffs its not rocket science is, people expect me to ignore the abuse, well heres an idea, why dont the abusers ignore my posts and problem solved
112-1077774096

Postby Owzat » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:26 am

FFS you lot, knock it on the head before you get the thread closed. You're not even arguing about football/Kuyt anymore, just abusing each other. If I were a mod I'd delete the exchanges back to the start and then there'd be about 20 pages of this thread.

Take it to PMs or cut it out, last post doesn't equal victory as there are only losers in ongoing slanging matches
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jedwards » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:48 am

:;):

Kuyt has played well to certain extend,[although I am not his fan], and there was nothing special about his goal, any forth division striker would have scored that type of goal!!!. But what really made me angry and disappointed is our negative manager, in fact there was a very good chance to go and kill off Arsenal last night, but only for the idiotic and stupid tactic of Benitez, who opted to change Torres for the useless and below average Voronin (which I have thought we will never see this donkey again after his injury spell) however, when I saw his name among the substitutes I said to my friends watch Rafa will bring his babe on ahead of Crouch. The negative Benitez should have really changed Kuyt for Crouch for the last 15 minutes and ask SG to play on the right, and just go for it, although we have allowed Arsenal to dominate, but they were there for the taking, if we only had a positive manager!!!.

This game is not over yet, I expect Arsenal, will come to Anfield next week and give us a very hard game, and if we keep on getting carried away about Benitez's babe Kuyt on how good he has played, and I hear Benitez has gave the man of the match for his endless running regardless of any basic skills where Kuyt really does lack!!!!, it just to show you what type of mentality our beloved Benitez does have, I believe he would have wish to have another 10 running donkeys like Kuyt in his team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to the Saturday match against Arsenal, and to see how some of favoured Benitez's babes are going to perform, and especially Kuyt,Aurelio, Skrtel (very suspect) Voronin ( who I think Rafa will start with him) ahead of Crouch again!!!!!!!!.
ALL OUR PROBLEMS LIES WITH THE MANAGER & PROFIERTING YANKEE OWNERS.  GOD HELP US
jedwards

Postby Avi Cohen » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:51 am

AND HERE COMES AVI COHEN!! OH I SAY - AT THE SAME END HE'S GOT ONE BACK!!!!!!!!!!
Avi Cohen

Postby Sabre » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:01 pm

LFC2007 wrote:A great result and we couldn't have expected much better realistically. We managed to hold out for a long time despite being placed under immense pressure at times.

Some of my thoughts:

Babel – massive liability. No fight, desire, passion, heart…will to win the ball at all cost. Shocking passing. He made 4 complete passes in 57 min’s. To put that in perspective -Eboue who had an average game made 22 complete passes. Babel had to be subbed and I would've preferred him off at half time, he was that bad. Benayoun did a much better job at tracking back and tackling.

Kuyt – overall a very good performance – the antithesis of Babel in terms of passion/desire to win the ball. He made a crucial interception tracking back in the second half. He tracked the ball very well , even in attack (two or three times he followed the ball up) he was very alert. He put a good ball through for Torres second half, beat his man on the by-line when there wasn't much else he could do, and got a decent left foot shot off. He DID get a touch on the ball for the goal. He was far from ‘useless’, anyone who says he was in this game is showing their Kuyt-bashing instinct.

We couldn’t keep the ball well enough throughout, but especially second half. Not enough of our players were comfortable in possession. Arsenal have those in abundance, with pace (Adebayor did Carra in the first half, and got in behind) (On that little run Hleb did everyone with his technical ability and mobility, before being tugged by Kuyt) (Walcott skinned a couple with his pace too). This was worrying. Pass completion rates were distinctly apart – 70%-85% roughly (I think). Not good enough. Pace, mobility, movement, passing needs to be better. Unfortunately, only new players can improve this to the required level, but within our current potential we can still be much better.

Their pace and mobility caused us real problems, Adebayor, Hleb, Walcott as mentioned. Whenever they got in behind us, I felt they'd create something. We needed to cut their supply better, i.e. Fabregas, Flamini, - Hleb to a lesser extent. I thought Gerrard at times may have played a little deeper in the second half to press Fabregas, and cut this supply.

Mascherano, some good interceptions, read the game well. Alonso - too static.

Torres fought well, but didn't have enough support up top, esp from wings/full backs – it's imperative that we get quality wingers/full backs if we are going to persist with this formation. Babel has pace, but not much else it would seem unfortunately. Kuyt, doesn't have enough attacking wise.

Aurelio, pretty good performance.

Skrtel, a couple of naïve errors – positioning in first half - got drawn in towards V. Persie when he should've held his position.

Second half – he failed to pick up Adebayor when he played long ball over top.

Overall though he put in a good performance and you can’t expect a lad so young, who’s only been here since January and who’s playing against the most mobile/fluent team in the league/possibly in Europe, to be immaculate. It just doesn’t happen.

The goal conceded was abysmal defending, we didn't find our positions, anticipate the ball coming in then head it. Sami didn’t hold his position, he drifted away from Skrtel and opened a huge gap for Adebayor to exploit. We need to be more compact with these zones, we can't allow gaps to appear between zones. It’s very tough for the opposition to score if the zones are compact and we operate as a unit – it would require a very powerful and accurate header to beat Reina. Hence - the core of the zonal marking system has to be the strongest zone and the most compact zone, it wasn't on this occassion.

A fairly good performance, but we can be much better and there is much room for improvement.

(Apologies if I've stolen anyone's opinion, I've borrowed 'Owzat's' trademark on common sense for the day)

I already put my opinions during the match thread, and I see no point in making a long post in broken english because this review is pretty much spot on.

BTW, it's unbelievable I say this, but Peewee's comment on Kuyt must not be responded harshly, for his standards about the player it was a good praise! Knock it down (hope this is what I mean it to be) and keep talking footie, not fights.

I understand a good fight when our players are insulted, but not because saying one good day doesn't make a summer.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:31 pm

everyone is entitled to their opinion. you can criticise it, but dont mock them cause it conflicts with what you personally think
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:33 pm

peewee wrote:or maybe you should just accept that kuyt is sh*t,

Sabre, you were saying..
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:33 pm

Reina - couple of moments of madness but overall a solid performance.

Carra - a solid performance in defence, was not attacking enough though in the right back position.

Skrtel - considering how long he has been at the club he is doing very well taking the pressure of champs league football very well. Soild, but sometimes edgey performance.

Hyypia - experience and a powerful pressence in the box for corners. Should of picked up Adebayor though.

Aurellio - decent performance, some penatrating passes to Babel, and not as solid as Carra defensively but still didnt let much through.

Kuyt - worked his socks off, made some decents runs and capped it off with a goal (a very important goal i might add) but he is not going to cut it for long on the right.

Alonso - an injury blighted season yet can still do the necessary in the midfield, he didnt boss it but he was close. Some dodgy passes, but all round decent performance.

Mascha - what can I say, didnt let much through him and started attacks. World class performance.

Babel - he seemed like a rabbit caught in headlights. Im going to put last night down to inexperiance at the top level, his ability is there for everyone to see just needs to tap into it and make it consistant. We could have a player on our hands here just needs time and patience.

Gerrard - penetrating run to set-up the goal for Kuyt and played well alongside Torres. Later on in the game when we where enevitably pinned back by arsenal he did his job and defended.

Torres - considering the game I think he did quite well. Defended when he needed to and made some very good runs, with better support (hopefully come next season) these runs will be more devestaing I think.

Overall I think the team played very well, Arsenal are a very good team on the ball and they would of wanted this match more than anything considering there recent league form putting them out of the title.
We defended to deep at times but still defended very well, when we attacked we where very effective, better movement in certain areas and we could of got anather goal IMO.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:33 pm

Sabre wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:A great result and we couldn't have expected much better realistically. We managed to hold out for a long time despite being placed under immense pressure at times.

Some of my thoughts:

Babel – massive liability. No fight, desire, passion, heart…will to win the ball at all cost. Shocking passing. He made 4 complete passes in 57 min’s. To put that in perspective -Eboue who had an average game made 22 complete passes. Babel had to be subbed and I would've preferred him off at half time, he was that bad. Benayoun did a much better job at tracking back and tackling.

Kuyt – overall a very good performance – the antithesis of Babel in terms of passion/desire to win the ball. He made a crucial interception tracking back in the second half. He tracked the ball very well , even in attack (two or three times he followed the ball up) he was very alert. He put a good ball through for Torres second half, beat his man on the by-line when there wasn't much else he could do, and got a decent left foot shot off. He DID get a touch on the ball for the goal. He was far from ‘useless’, anyone who says he was in this game is showing their Kuyt-bashing instinct.

We couldn’t keep the ball well enough throughout, but especially second half. Not enough of our players were comfortable in possession. Arsenal have those in abundance, with pace (Adebayor did Carra in the first half, and got in behind) (On that little run Hleb did everyone with his technical ability and mobility, before being tugged by Kuyt) (Walcott skinned a couple with his pace too). This was worrying. Pass completion rates were distinctly apart – 70%-85% roughly (I think). Not good enough. Pace, mobility, movement, passing needs to be better. Unfortunately, only new players can improve this to the required level, but within our current potential we can still be much better.

Their pace and mobility caused us real problems, Adebayor, Hleb, Walcott as mentioned. Whenever they got in behind us, I felt they'd create something. We needed to cut their supply better, i.e. Fabregas, Flamini, - Hleb to a lesser extent. I thought Gerrard at times may have played a little deeper in the second half to press Fabregas, and cut this supply.

Torres fought well, but didn't have enough support up top, esp from wings/full backs – it's imperative that we get quality wingers/full backs if we are going to persist with this formation. Babel has pace, but not much else it would seem unfortunately. Kuyt, doesn't have enough attacking wise.

Skrtel, a couple of naïve errors – positioning in first half - got drawn in towards V. Persie when he should've held his position.

Overall though he put in a good performance and you can’t expect a lad so young, who’s only been here since January and who’s playing against the most mobile/fluent team in the league/possibly in Europe, to be immaculate. It just doesn’t happen.

The goal conceded was abysmal defending, we didn't find our positions, anticipate the ball coming in then head it. Sami didn’t hold his position, he drifted away from Skrtel and opened a huge gap for Adebayor to exploit. We need to be more compact with these zones, we can't allow gaps to appear between zones. It’s very tough for the opposition to score if the zones are compact and we operate as a unit – it would require a very powerful and accurate header to beat Reina. Hence - the core of the zonal marking system has to be the strongest zone and the most compact zone, it wasn't on this occassion.

A fairly good performance, but we can be much better and there is much room for improvement.

(Apologies if I've stolen anyone's opinion, I've borrowed 'Owzat's' trademark on common sense for the day)

I already put my opinions during the match thread, and I see no point in making a long post in broken english because this review is pretty much spot on.

BTW, it's unbelievable I say this, but Peewee's comment on Kuyt must not be responded harshly, for his standards about the player it was a good praise! Knock it down (hope this is what I mean it to be) and keep talking footie, not fights.

I understand a good fight when our players are insulted, but not because saying one good day doesn't make a summer.

That analysis is spot on.

I am worried though about our defending from set pieces, As rubbish a local club player as I was (centre back), the easiest part of the game is defending set pieces. Full backs get a post each and everyone else pick up a man.

Why are we so terrible at them?

Good result though - Kuyt was immense (and not just because he scored) as was Masch and skrtel and SG.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:36 pm

tommycockles wrote:As there are enough people bashing Kuyt and Babel i'm going to have a go at Vorinin. He's bought on for the last 5 minutes and asked to do a job- which he did for about 30 seconds and then he must have been knackered as he then never chased down one ball or player. There were times where he could have dug in a bit more and stopped Arsenals last 5 minutes of surges but instead he just let them run past him and made no attempt to abtruct/stop/slow down/ pass- he's fu.cking useless and really did my head in at a time when we needed to tighten things up. He should watch Torres and be ashamed of himself!!

I was furious. When a player comes on for 5 minutes he should cover every inch of the pitch. He was pacing himself, jogging back etc.

If I was in that dressing room after the game I'd have decked him - not joking, I really would have. An absolute disgrace to the profession. :angry:
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:02 pm

Big Niall wrote:
Sabre wrote:

Some of my thoughts:

That analysis is spot on.

I am worried though about our defending from set pieces, As rubbish a local club player as I was (centre back), the easiest part of the game is defending set pieces. Full backs get a post each and everyone else pick up a man.

Why are we so terrible at them?

Good result though - Kuyt was immense (and not just because he scored) as was Masch and skrtel and SG.

i was furious at big niall for being a cack pub team defender :D

no serioulsy, voronin was not committed at all.

enough said rant over
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:09 pm

he probably put more effort into doing his hair than he did trying to score a goal last night.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:13 pm

Confirmation that Gillett wasnt at the game last night;

Hicks praises Liverpool performance
Associated Press - April 3, 2008 6:25 AM ET

LONDON (AP) - Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks saw his first game in three months and declared himself delighted with the team as it nudged closer to Champions League glory.

Although the quarterfinal with Arsenal is tied 1-1, the Reds took the advantage of an away goal into Tuesday's second leg.

Yesterday's match had threatened to be overshadowed by a visit by warring American owners, but snow in Colorado prevented Liverpool co-owner George Gillett Jr. from attending the game.

Liverpool went behind to Emmanuel Adebayor's powerful header in the 23rd minute, but hit back inside three minutes. Captain Steven Gerrard embarked on a mesmerizing run when ended with Dirk Kuyt equalizing.

Hicks last saw the Reds in December, when they went down 1-0 to Manchester United. The Dallas businessman and owner of the Texas Rangers and Dallas Stars later told The Associated Press that the team lacked a winning mentality.

The same criticism could have been leveled at Wednesday's team. But despite having little attacking impetus in the second half, Liverpool held on thanks to scrambled goal-line clearances. Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger also cited favorable refereeing.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion