Do we begrudge arsenal? - Winning the champions league.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:16 am

No doubt we've all laughed our collective c***s  off at Manures failure over the years to win the champions league. God knows, the one year they did win it they had every scrap of luck going.
My impression is though that few liverpool fans would begrudge an Arsenal champions league win. I know i'm out on a limb here but we are talking about a truly exceptional team in this particular instance. Not a referee surounding, bullying, us against the world outfit but a pure footballing renaissance. Micky Thomas's goal at Anfield was a pill that has taken years to swallow but digestion is complete IMHO. Go on you poncey southern ******, if we can't win it I can't off the top of my head think of someone who is more deserving.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:41 am

I really admire the way Arsenal play, from a purely football perspective. It seems that Wenger's priorities in a player, especially if he is for the midfield and attack, is pace, passing and movement. So far, he has managed to find new players who fit these mould and there is continuity even if the regulars get injured. The pace at which they move the ball and their penetrative abilities are really all the more amazing because they do it in a very attractive way. Because of Wenger's playing philosophy and that this philosophy is being translated onto the actual physical play, I will not begrudge them if they win the CL. Liverpool's team on 1987-88 with Barnes and Beardsley at their pomp play a very attractive football but sadly, we were not able to sustain this beautiful playing style for as long as Arsenal has under Wenger.

However, I don't think they are equipped to win the CL just yet - their achilles heel is their defence and they can be found wanting when the opposition manages to slow them down. This is the game at the CL level and right now, Arsenal is not yet equipped IMHO. Lowly Euro teams like PSV can frustrate them and expose their shortcoming.

manure in 1999, apart from their luck, had the qualities of the more traditional Enclish teams - resillience, which Liverpool has in abundance in the 70s and 80s and can be the undiong of the more flair-equipped teams in the CL. This, somehow, Arsenal lack when in their Euro games.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:49 am

Yeh totally agree azriahmad. The only reason I mention it, I was talking to a couple of Chelsea fans in the pub last night and their feeling was they might win the CL this year. Now them, I would begrudge. Not good enough mate, haven't served your time as a top team yet etc etc. That's not to say they won't win it, they have every chance IMHO. It's just that if it was the A rse in the final, I might even find myself, if not exactly cheering 'em on, hoping they would win the thing. Don't know if I'm small minded but I couldn't say the same for Chelsea, and in the case of Man U I'd be scouring JJB sports for a Fenerbace away top or whoever it happens to be.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:15 am

The reason why arsenal wins so convincingly is because of the respect other premiership clubs show them. In europe, teams are not so awe of them, so they tend to struggle.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:39 am

bigmick wrote:No doubt we've all laughed our collective c***s  off at Manures failure over the years to win the champions league. God knows, the one year they did win it they had every scrap of luck going.
My impression is though that few liverpool fans would begrudge an Arsenal champions league win. I know i'm out on a limb here but we are talking about a truly exceptional team in this particular instance. Not a referee surounding, bullying, us against the world outfit but a pure footballing renaissance. Micky Thomas's goal at Anfield was a pill that has taken years to swallow but digestion is complete IMHO. Go on you poncey southern ******, if we can't win it I can't off the top of my head think of someone who is more deserving.

I would support any team against Arsenal in the final, unless it was manure or chelski.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:23 pm

The reason why arsenal wins so convincingly is because of the respect other premiership clubs show them. In europe, teams are not so awe of them, so they tend to struggle.

Spot on. Fear factor. All superb sides have it and its annoying. Bolton shown that they aren't as good as they're made out to be as did Rosenborg and PSV. If you don't fear them you stand a good chance.
115-1073096938

Postby mynameisred » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:40 pm

Bigmick good post and I agree but was there any need to call them poncy southern ******. Lets leave the the ignorence and bigotry at the entrance mate. Im a southern Red and proud mate and thats the first time I have felt the need to express that. Arsenal deserve to win everything at the mo coz they are playing football in a style and class not EVER seen in this country before. We may have won more historically but fundamentely our sides were quite different. Good luck to them in every game except the ones which influence us. At the end of the day I would rather see the Arsenal collecting trophies than you know who.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby spud » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:47 pm

XSD wrote:I would support any team against Arsenal in the final, unless it was manure or chelski.

My position entirely. 

You cannot rubbish Wenger's achievements and he is the best there is in the transfer market.
spud

Postby A.B. » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:17 pm

I agree with what has been said by azriahmad, Arsenal aren't "Invincible" in the Champions League like azriahmad pointed out. I think they might get to the Quarter-Finals, but personaly I believe Barca will win it this year.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:33 pm

I personally begrudge them, and the reason is that I hate their arrogance, and they have it all over there team.

Henry is a superb player, but his arrogance makes me detest the lad. Sol Campbell is so far up his own @rse its unreal. I cannot stand it.

Also I would rather they never, so that whenever one of those shandy supping southern wideboys talks in years to come about the greatest team in the history of football, I can ask them how many European Cups they won, and he will then button it.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:38 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:I personally begrudge them, and the reason is that I hate their arrogance, and they have it all over there team.

Henry is a superb player, but his arrogance makes me detest the lad. Sol Campbell is so far up his own @rse its unreal. I cannot stand it.

Also I would rather they never, so that whenever one of those shandy supping southern wideboys talks in years to come about the greatest team in the history of football, I can ask them how many European Cups they won, and he will then button it.

:D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby garciafan » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:35 am

Arsenals football looks good because they can keep posession.  Let them play teams like Barcelona, Milan, Inter and Valencia who know how to win posession before giving them a runaway credit for being in finals
garciafan

Postby stmichael » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:14 pm

two words why arsenal won't win the champions league.

JENS LEHMANN

:D  :D  :D
Last edited by stmichael on Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby parchpea » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:30 pm

I wouldnt begrudge them success in the competition. I have no axe to grind with Arsenal. I find they condut their business professionally and play in the right manner. If they do not go on to triumph they are still one hell of a team. Theres no reason why they shouldnt be able to go all the way. I think their football speaks for itself. No one can ever know quite why it has not happended for them in this competition. Not even Wenger himself can answer that. I dont think they are doing anything wrong. Maybe one lucky moment or a decision in a game will turn it for them. They can acheive it.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:58 pm

stmick, that is the weakest link in the Arsenal team.

Lehmann must be deluding himself when he said that he should be the no.1 'keeper for the Germany national squad instead of Kahn. I think if Kahn were to suffer a broken arm that he had to play with a sling on 1 arm, he'd still be better than Lehmann! The guy is such a clown and he is lucky to be in an Arsenal team who can keep possession and pass the opposition off the park every time.

Most of us agree that Dudek is low on confidence, but this low-on-confidence Dudek is still better than that clown! :D
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion