Arsenal - liverpool. sat 5 april - Premier league, ko 12.45

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby heimdall » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:18 pm

john craig wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Surprised that so many are apparently dismissing this as a "doesn't matter game".

Nailing qualification for next seasons CL is an absolute must and we're in the perfect position to guarantee that provided we don't don't lose our focus in the league over the next couple of games.

Losing focus in the league woof?  FFS that happened months ago.

Personally I'm not happy at merely qualifying for the Champions League every season, I'd rather we win it.  And knackering or risking injuries to our best players in a game that probably doesn't matter in the long run (as Everton are in free-fall) is not the way to achieve that.

:bowdown  :bowdown  :buttrock  :buttrock  Couldn't agree more mate, my sentiments exactly.
heimdall

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Like i said sensible changes , rest torres , gerrard , hypia , kuyt

Stick babel uptop with crouchie and a draw is the best result we can hope for , play with 2 wide man , pennant on the right , yossi on the left and we should get crouch decent service
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:39 pm

john craig wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Surprised that so many are apparently dismissing this as a "doesn't matter game".

Nailing qualification for next seasons CL is an absolute must and we're in the perfect position to guarantee that provided we don't don't lose our focus in the league over the next couple of games.

Personally I'm not happy at merely qualifying for the Champions League every season, I'd rather we win it.  And knackering or risking injuries to our best players in a game that probably doesn't matter in the long run (as Everton are in free-fall) is not the way to achieve that.

Not suggesting that I'm happy at " merely qualifying for the Champions League every season," John, I am however attempting to be pragmatic. In terms of status and finance it's imperative that we are in next seasons CL, and we are in a position to confirm that.

Perhaps we can win the CL this year and therefore not give a toss about our final position in the league and it's ramifications as far as next seasons CL qualification are concerned, but a prudent strategist would hope for the best and plan for the worst. The worst being we tumble out of the CL and Everton somehow overtake us for the last CL qualification spot .

Doesn't bear thinking about.   
:wwww   :sniffle

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:48 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
john craig wrote:

Not suggesting that I'm happy at " merely qualifying for the Champions League every season," John, I am however attempting to be pragmatic. In terms of status and finance it's imperative that we are in next seasons CL, and we are in a position to confirm that.

Perhaps we can win the CL this year and therefore not give a toss about our final position in the league and it's ramifications as far as next seasons CL qualification are concerned, but a prudent strategist would hope for the best and plan for the worst. The worst being we tumble out of the CL and Everton somehow overtake us for the last CL qualification spot .

Doesn't bear thinking about.   
:wwww   :sniffle

It doesn't bear thinking about, I'll agree on that woof.

However, we have a 5 point gap on Everton, they also still have to go to Arsenal, and in addition they are playing the worst football they have done all season.  Their great run of form after Christmas directly coincided with Cahill's return to fitness, but it's also no coincidence that their recent slump has coincided with him being injured again - they're not the same team without him.  He's not the only injury they have and their small squad is struggling to cope.  They haven't won in 4 games and their confidence is low, especially since we just completed the double over them.

I just think it's a matter of balancing benefits and risks in terms of the Arsenal game on Saturday for us.  I think the benefits of resting players ahead of the 2nd leg could be massive, and I also think the risk of finishing behind Everton is pretty low even if we do lose at the Emirates tomorrow.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:16 pm

Evertons loss of Cahill has certainly been a bonus as far as we are concerned. I understand where you coming from on all of this John but we've experienced so many bananna skins this season I'm not convinced that the race for that fourth spot is as cut and dried as many seem to think it is.

Also wondering why so many seem to think that our top players (barring injury) are incapable of playing 3 season defining games in the space of a week , this is what they live , breathe and train for.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:18 pm

Send out the reserves and tell them to kick anything that moves. :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:23 pm

Big Niall wrote:Send out the reserves and tell them to kick anything that moves. :D

:laugh: , the good ole "plan B"

I like it.  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:35 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Evertons loss of Cahill has certainly been a bonus as far as we are concerned. I understand where you coming from on all of this John but we've experienced so many bananna skins this season I'm not convinced that the race for that fourth spot is as cut and dried as many seem to think it is.

Also wondering why so many seem to think that our top players (barring injury) are incapable of playing 3 season defining games in the space of a week , this is what they live , breathe and train for.

I'd rather have their run in, plus they are out of Europe despite many tipping them to win a trophy (ha ha ha). We play Arsenal while they play Derby, none of our games are that easy. And we play four out of six away from home, Fulham away the easiest of them.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:43 pm

Owzat wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Evertons loss of Cahill has certainly been a bonus as far as we are concerned. I understand where you coming from on all of this John but we've experienced so many bananna skins this season I'm not convinced that the race for that fourth spot is as cut and dried as many seem to think it is.

I'd rather have their run in, plus they are out of Europe despite many tipping them to win a trophy (ha ha ha). We play Arsenal while they play Derby, none of our games are that easy. And we play four out of six away from home, Fulham away the easiest of them.

Well at least there's one other person who apparently understands where I'm coming from on this issue.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:28 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Owzat wrote:

Well at least there's one other person who apparently understands where I'm coming from on this issue.

I'm certainly not taking 4th spot as given either, mate.  It's like the classic "game in hand" mentality--people always point to it when feeling bullish but I'd rather have the points safely secured than count on some future game in hand.  The same's true in this case: I'd prefer not to count on the fact that the Bitters have a challenging run in.

That said, I'm definitely one who thinks that you can't play the exact same players against Arsenal 3 times in the space of a week.  First off, they'll be knackered, especially against an Arsenal team that is very, very comfortable keeping possession and passing the ball--our lads will run themselves into the ground closing them down.  Secondly, I don't want Arsenal getting overly comfortable with our formation and tactics.  Changing things up tomorrow will give them something new to think about rather than just perfecting their play against us.

So, I'd like to see some sensible rotation for this one.  Give Crouch, Pennant, Riise, Lucas, etc. a game and see how they go.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:34 pm

Bad Bob wrote:I'd like to see some sensible rotation for this one.  Give Crouch, Pennant, Riise, Lucas, etc. a game and see how they go.

I'm just not comfortable with Lucas in midfield, a skillfull player but I'm far from convinced that at present he has what it takes to compete in the "English" game as a central midfielder.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby akumaface » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:42 pm

Reports says that Van Persie and Adebeyor both may not play this game. I'm sure Wenger will rest them for the more important Euro game next week against us. I think regardless, I agreed with most that we should rest Gerrard, Torres, Hypia and Mascharano. Throwing out the reserve is not a bad idea. :D
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:42 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:I'd like to see some sensible rotation for this one.  Give Crouch, Pennant, Riise, Lucas, etc. a game and see how they go.

I'm just not comfortable with Lucas in midfield, a skillfull player but I'm far from convinced that at present he has what it takes to compete in the "English" game as a central midfielder.

Fair enough...I've still got doubts with him too.  In the case of CM, it's an interesting call.  Do you play Alonso and Lucas and risk getting overrun?  Or, do you recall Stevie to partner Alonso and risk fatigue/injuries?  FWIW, I think Stevie's one of the few players who can bounce back quickly from his midweek exertions.  It might be an advisable gamble to partner him with Alonso in the middle of the park, just to give us a platform.  If either team builds up a substantial lead (unlikely, but there you go) he could be subbed with Tuesday in mind.  It'll be interesting to see how Rafa plays it.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:50 pm

This is Liverpool Football Club.  We play to win every game.. 

Oh no we don't anymore do we??  Can't believe so many people do not remember a very wise mans words.. "the league is our bread and butter"

4th is Essential, 3rd is possible, 2nd and 1st are way to far away
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:02 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:

Fair enough...I've still got doubts with him too.  In the case of CM, it's an interesting call.  Do you play Alonso and Lucas and risk getting overrun?  Or, do you recall Stevie to partner Alonso and risk fatigue/injuries?  FWIW, I think Stevie's one of the few players who can bounce back quickly from his midweek exertions.  It might be an advisable gamble to partner him with Alonso in the middle of the park, just to give us a platform.  If either team builds up a substantial lead (unlikely, but there you go) he could be subbed with Tuesday in mind.  It'll be interesting to see how Rafa plays it.

I guess it leads us back to the question of "How important is this game ? " . I'd hate to wake up next week and find that our 5 point cushion was cut to 2.

All I'm trying to say in this discussion Bob is that my focus is on ensuring a CL qualification for next season. Right now imo consolidating our current league position seems the best way to achieve that. As much as anyone I'd like to see us go all the way to picking up the CL trophy in  Moscow but I have to hold up my hand and admit that imo it's an outside bet. I'm playing percentages here and i'm looking at the safety first option.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion