LIVERPOOL VS MANCHESTER CITY - Semi final 2nd leg Weds 25/01/2012

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
RedAnt wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:
stmichael wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:Errrrr....it's the Carling Cup folks.....hardly important.....

F#ck off and support Man City you utter pleb.

I hate our current fanbase.

Grow up....It's the Carling Cup. Show me any other club that deems it a critical piece of the football season, eh ?

Course I'm delighted we have the chance of silverware. That's not the point.

It's a fourth rate competition. LFC has over the years put out deliberately weaker sides for this competition.

So we're clutching at straws over this.,...

And as I posted after the game, I am DELIGHTED at the performance above all else. The closing down, harrying, pressurising......that made me much happier than the result. That's what I've been aching to see for weeks....

You must be a football noob or something? The League Cup isn't the top competition, no. It's the third competition, right after the league and FA Cup (though I guess the FA Cup means naff all too...).

It's kinda like the Prince of competitions ain't it? Dosen't really count because it's not the queen maybe?

I'm curious...if you were in Kenny's boots but wit your own opinions, what would be your team talk for the final?

He said fourth rate because I assume Champions League/Europa League was included.

Correct SCS...

And to restate what I said, I am delighted at the performance and passion of the players above all. It looked like the players "wanted" to win....great stuff all round....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby metalhead » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Winning the carling cup is important because it shows that the team are ambitious enough to win bigger things in the future. Let's hope we don't underestimate Cardiff in the final and bring #8 back home!
Last edited by metalhead on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:28 pm

metalhead wrote:Winning the carling cup is important because it shows that the team are ambitious enough to win bigger things in the future. Let's hope we don't underestimate Cardiff in the final and bring #8 back home!

And let's not forget We qualified while beating the best team in England as of today. (playing with her full strength). Let's be proud.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:57 pm

only me wrote:
metalhead wrote:Winning the carling cup is important because it shows that the team are ambitious enough to win bigger things in the future. Let's hope we don't underestimate Cardiff in the final and bring #8 back home!

And let's not forget We qualified while beating the best team in England as of today. (playing with her full strength). Let's be proud.

and every game before that were ties
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby worcester_red » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:00 pm

It was a great game but I'm getting a bit worried about Stevie G, his all round game has dropped off massively, other than the goal I thought he was one of our weakest players yesterday although I wouldn't say he was terrible or anything.

Anyway I'm still on a high and just hope the team can keep the momentum going against Manure.
worcester_red

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:37 pm

BTW, anyone know when the date for the postponed Merseyside derby is likely to be announced ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:40 pm

worcester_red wrote:It was a great game but I'm getting a bit worried about Stevie G, his all round game has dropped off massively, other than the goal I thought he was one of our weakest players yesterday although I wouldn't say he was terrible or anything.

Anyway I'm still on a high and just hope the team can keep the momentum going against Manure.

The bloke has been out of action for months, give him a chance FFS.

Seriously I think we should have a label that indicates anyone who hasn't played competitive football at any level so we know whether there is any assumed understanding of the situation or not.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:46 pm

worcester_red wrote:It was a great game but I'm getting a bit worried about Stevie G, his all round game has dropped off massively, other than the goal I thought he was one of our weakest players yesterday although I wouldn't say he was terrible or anything.

Understand where you're coming from on this BUT I wouldn't say his game has dropped off massively, instead IMO (based only on last nights performance) I'd just say it's changed and given his age and recent return from a long long lay off it's completely understandable.

Instead of the signature barnstorming Captain Marvel display that we're accustomed too we saw a much more considered, mature and disciplined performance from Stevie G. There where a couple of loose passes and a few tackles that (unlike pre his lay off) he elected not to "kamikazi" into but I'm a long way from being worried about his game. Still a key player for us and a massive influence.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:49 pm

really?  The only thing I can think of was when he didnt cut out the corss to the 2nd goal, but that would have been a massive stretch.

I thought he played really well.  He was playing very deep as he was playing the more defensive role especially in the first half so he was never going to be making his usual runs into their half.  For me he was a lot more disciplined than he has been in the past when he has been asked to play further back.

He ha d a job to do, and he did it.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby alwayslfc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Liverpool players have bucked up in the City game compare to the Bolton game. I suppose KD must have given them a right kick in their ars*s after the Bolton game. They played with confidence and determination to win every ball but the finishing was still poor. We missed Suarez badly.

I hope KD didn't mean it when he said this would be a quiet window because we're desperately in need of a clinical finisher and a right winger.
alwayslfc

Postby supersub » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Dalglish wrote:Just back from the game and despite what the "Job's Comforters" may say about the gravity of the Carling Cup let me tell you this - When your in the Cauldron at Anfield willing your team on it makes absolutely NO difference what trophy you are playing in.

I went to Bolton Away Saturday and it was as grim as it gets there with a lack lustre performance resulting in a 3-1 loss.

Tonight KK gave those players an opportunity to redeem themselves and 9 of the starting 11 started tonight and played like it mattered and for that I'm truly thankful. It is important to me that for some players at least know what it means to represent Liverpool Football Club

When Fans cherry pick the games they deem to be "important" then slate the players when they under perform it smacks of hypocrisy IMO.

I have been lucky to be at many Finals and in terms of atmosphere there is NO difference when your there !

Was Dortmund 2001 any less exciting then Istanbul 2005?

Was Cardiff League Cup Final 2001 any less than Cardiff Fa Cup Final 2001 ?

It might have been for some who watch on TV but when your there it matters not a bit what your playing for, this is Liverpool FC and you want to win whatever the prize !

Walk on .............

absolutely agree.............
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:30 pm

all in all i thought we were excellent and fully deserved to go through over the two legs. reina made one save over 180 minutes and other than that picked the ball out the net twice. hart on the other hand made six or seven top class saves over the two games.

thought downing and adan had better games and gerrard was his usual driving force. bellamy was just exceptional. how i wish he was 5 years younger.

i've missed nights like last night. the atmosphere was cracking.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby parchpea » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:33 pm

We wanted it more than City and its a moment to enjoy and look forward to a showpiece occasion at Wembley.

Truth be told we have fallen behind in the pecking order again, like we did before Houllier came in, but its a start for us and a chance to build some momentumn.

Dont think anyones deluded enough to let this cup run mask where we are as a club and a team at present but it could be a spark for a better future and no point in thinking the worse really.

City will have been gutted not to make it to Wembley make no mistake about that and we are there.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games