MAN CITY VS LIVERPOOL - Carling Cup Semi Final 1st leg

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:38 am

I don’t think we performed that well to be honest. City were awful. They were missing some of their best players and played most of the game with 10 men against Man Utd on Sunday, and it really showed.

We had numerous opportunities to hurt them in the first half but the moves kept breaking down, mainly with Downing, Henderson and Carroll. Downing consistently picks the wrong pass and can’t trouble full backs who have even a little pace.

I think we can count ourselves lucky in the second half as if we were up against a better performance we would most certainly have conceded. We made City look much better than they were on the day. The second half wasn’t like the solid, organised, and intelligent pressing game we got so used to under Rafa. Although City didn’t create many chances we looked quite ragged and the changes in personal and shape turned into a bit of debacle.

And for the life of me I can’t understand why we left Carroll up front on his own. Surely Kenny could have foreseen City nullifying him by playing a high line and thus keeping us penned down in our half? Why not leave Bellamy upfront in the second half and give us an outlet and opportunity to get in behind?

Although it’s a great result, the way the game panned out has left me quite frustrated.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:09 am

laza wrote:
Dalglish wrote:Some of us Old Boys remember when we used to do that in Europe and save our best for the FINAL !  :D

Have to take your word for it Ian some of us 44 year olds  were too young to remember   :D

Some of us do!

Some of teh most exciting gam,es were in the UEFA Cup 2 leg games, the result from the first leg was always just the opening shot, the game was far from over.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:23 am

Kopite-Jud wrote:
Kopite-Jud wrote:
ethanr wrote:We beat chelsea a few years back ending their almost 5 year unbeaten streak at home, and now city who haven't lost at home for over a year have lost to us.

Didn't you watch City v United on Sunday?

They lost on sunday thats all :)

:lookaround

You got me
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:12 am

Good result deffo, would have taken that before kick off, the first half peformance was excellent, second half has was really bad though especially when we made the change to the formation with 5 at the back, had practically zero possesion second half.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:39 am

Fowler_E7 wrote:Good result deffo, would have taken that before kick off, the first half peformance was excellent, second half has was really bad though especially when we made the change to the formation with 5 at the back, had practically zero possesion second half.

I guess we would know if it's a good result after the 2nd leg....

A good result ,in my opinion ,is detarmined not but what you thought before the game but after it ended. And while most of us could only dream of a minimal win at city just 2 days ago ,now that the game was played and how it was played i doubt it is considered a good result. Has nothing to do with Moaning ,and wanting to see romantic football it is just being realistic as to what we could have done yesterday and choose (Kenny choose) not to do.

I hope this result would be enough.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Johnny Boy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:20 am

Great result and would easily have settled for that before the game.
I did think we kind of let them come at us too much in the second half, especially given how shaky they looked at the back earlier in the game.
Overall cannot complain.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby South East Kop » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:10 am

LFC2007 wrote:It's all about context. If you compare the performance tonight with some ideal standard befitting for a club of our statute then the complaints about the team being too defensive second half sound quite reasonable. But this is to ignore the reality of the situation we're in. We aren't at or near that ideal level and won't be for some time yet so for now just be pleased that we beat the league leaders in their own back yard and managed to keep a clean sheet in the process. Wembley beckons...

Spot on - some people on here are deluded and expect far far too much.

The boys and management deserve huge credit for last nights result, a fantastic result.  But it aint over and we should never presume we are through, the next leg will not be easy so this result is massive and we had to do what ever we had to do to get this result.

End of - get over it.
South East Kop

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:50 am

Dalglish wrote:
Ola Mr Benitez wrote:Fu(kin moaning [email=B@stards...]B@stards...[/email] We had a job to do and we did it.  Fu(k off you play station nobs

:laugh:

Not "Quite" I would have put it OLA but I agree with the sentiment.

Some of us Old Boys remember when we used to do that in Europe and save our best for the FINAL !  :D

The alternative is to go tot to toe against City on their own ground and hopefully win by more than one goal but the risk is that like the Premiership game there a couple of weeks back we get caught on the break and lose heavily..........

I know which I prefer :)

P.S. You could take the best players at City, United, RM and Barca combined and I would still fancy us in a second leg at Anfield !!!!

2000 - UEFA Cup - Away legs were basically defend a 1-0 lead for the latter stages. Barcelona away sticks out in my memory.

Like Gerrard said, sometimes you have to play ugly. The results matters far more than the performance
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:22 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:..... They were missing some of their best players ......

yeah lucas, suarez, maxi...
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:27 am

neil wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:..... They were missing some of their best players ......

yeah lucas, suarez, maxi...

:D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 am

crim cram wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:this reminds me of the Hodgson days...get a lead and then defend, defend, defend.

It's like watching a championship side playing a premier team.

:(

I know it wasn't City's strongest eleven but the fact is we reduced them to one attempt on goal in the first half and we didn't concede any goals.The last team to come away from the Etiahd with a clean sheet was Birmingham in November 2010. That is nearly fourteen months ago! Give us some credit please!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Hmmmmm....not sure what to think. *IF* we win the second leg at home, and make it through to the final - is that not planned for the 25th Feb ? Is that not the same day as the Merseyside derby ?
'Cos the missus bought me a ticket, flight and hotel for that game for Crimbo, and it looks like i'll forfeit all of it....esp. as it's a poxy Ryanair flight :(
Those w@nkers never refund you.
I presume LFC would refund the ticket or give you one for another game ? Anyone know ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:46 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Hmmmmm....not sure what to think. *IF* we win the second leg at home, and make it through to the final - is that not planned for the 25th Feb ? Is that not the same day as the Merseyside derby ?
'Cos the missus bought me a ticket, flight and hotel for that game for Crimbo, and it looks like i'll forfeit all of it....esp. as it's a poxy Ryanair flight :(
I presume LFC would refund the ticket or give you one for another game ? Anyone know ?

By law they have to refund you the tax. They may not offer but you are entitled to it. Considering the tax often represents more % than the ticket cost, you may not lose as much as you think.

Edit: the final is on the 26th
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:22 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:Hmmmmm....not sure what to think. *IF* we win the second leg at home, and make it through to the final - is that not planned for the 25th Feb ? Is that not the same day as the Merseyside derby ?

By law they have to refund you the tax. They may not offer but you are entitled to it. Considering the tax often represents more % than the ticket cost, you may not lose as much as you think.

Edit: the final is on the 26th

Ta mate....I knew about the tax....wasn't sure about the date for the final...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Aussie Style » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Stevie interrupts Mancini's post match interview :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16512668.stm
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games