STOKE CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 13 november 2010, ko: 17:30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby algymoon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:02 pm

metalhead wrote:
bigmick wrote:As far as the tactics were concerned, much like when we played there the last couple of seasons I thought they were bitterly disappointing. Stoke's whole set up is done with the launch in mind, be it from the goalkeeper, from the defenders or from Delap. The two front men are aggressive headers and attackers of the football, while the midfielders are marathon men who get underneath the flight of it.

It seems to me that if you decide to play the same as them, there is only going to be one winner. Surely the way to play against it is to keep the football, frustrate them, have them chasing shadows and make use of the fact you are better footballers. Yes they are going to chase and harry, but provided you use your head, keep cool, don't hoof it etc they'll soon run out of steam.

We didn't do that, just like the last couple of visits there we conceded posession far too easily, and paid the price for it. That's three unsuccessful visits there on the bounce now, and our record there is indicative of our lack of quality.

we don't have the players that can pass it around and frustrate such team, unfortunately

I agree with you, we do NOT have the players who can pass it around, the likes of Alonso, Mascherano, we have too many below average players and they seems always to haunt the team performance as it has happened against Wigan & Stoke, what do you expect from Maxi, Kuyt, Lucas, Skrtel, the light Nogo, and others, even if you give those sets of useless players to a top manager those same below average players that we have in our first team, will for sure let him down.  It is shameful for LFC to let those useless players to wear its shirts. This is reality!!
algymoon

Postby metalhead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:01 pm

ruskiy playmaker wrote:
metalhead wrote:Na mate, not with Babel and Kuyt. Especially Kuyt, when he has the ball we usually lose our momentum because either he lets his first touch down and loses the ball or he misplaces the pass. He isn't quick in his passing like Maxi or Meireles, so he tends to hold it up which slows our momentum a bit as well. As for Babel, he is a selfish player, he doesn't pick a pass or PASS the ball, his decision making is awful and he usually shoots rather than pass the ball.

I wonder how Kuyt can get into an attacking Holland team and not look out of place.  :glare:

He doesn't look out of place with Holland because he has Van Persie, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Robben, etc... playing around him,  players who have flair and can pass the ball around, which gets the best out of him. Its simple really, if we had the likes of Fabregas, Tevez, Alonso in our side, we would have that sort of fluidity in our team. The only players I think who can pass it around or one-twos are Maxi, Meireles, Gerrard and Torres.

But I agree to an extent with Ace, the the manager himself can get the best out of his players with altering his tactics. Also, his reasoning behind Aquilani, who I thought is the type of player who can set the tempo and play a good passing game.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:04 pm

I almost forgot, I thought letting Riera go was a terrible decision, intelligent player who can bring some balance on the left. f*ck him and his off field problems and having a go at everyone, he was a good player and maybe if he stayed we would have seen results differently? you never know, I might be wrong.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:18 am

Anaemic, weak and devoid of options, Liverpool FC lose to Stoke
Nov 15 2010 Liverpool Echo

“Fernando didn't want to come off and I didn't want to take him off but he was not firing on all cylinders,” Roy Hodgson explains that an ankle injury thwarted Torres' goal threat.

IT wasn’t the simple pass being hoofed 30 yards out of play or a 40-yard free-kick missing its intended target by the same distance that caused such alarm.

Nor was it the sight of a posse of travelling supporters racing to the front of the SEAT stand to scream invective at the beleaguered manager and shout for the return of the club’s greatest ever player to take over in the hot-seat.

Depressing as all those incidents were to see on Saturday evening, the most demoralising thought as Liverpool’s mini revival was brought to a shuddering halt at Stoke City came from the knowledge there are likely to be more torturous experiences like this before the end of the season.

Perhaps the anger that was so evident when Mark Halsey brought a one-sided contest to a close was not born of frustration but out of shock as, remember, six days earlier memories of a not too distant time in the past had been revived by Liverpool’s dismissal of Chelsea.

Sadly it seems that thrilling display was the exception to the current rule; as good as it was to serve it up to the league leaders, a true idea of Liverpool’s current well-being was always going to be gauged in the fixtures that followed at Wigan and the Britannia Stadium.

So now we know. Anaemic, weak and devoid of options, Liverpool might have players who can look good in the glamour contests but they don’t have a squad capable of finding the consistency required to compete – you might even say it is Liverpool’s worst squad of the Premier League era.

Now that claim is not made lightly, certainly when you consider the honours that a few men have collected include the World Cup, the European Championship, the Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup and other valuable trinkets.

What, then, makes the sum of this group considerably less than its parts? Those supporters who remember the campaign in 1992-93, when the Premier League started, might be quick to argue otherwise and they will doubtlessly pull a host of names to support their view.

Torben Piechnik, Nicky Tanner, Istvan Kozma and Paul Stewart were four names that had fans cowering when they appeared on a team sheet; Mike Hooper was a goalkeeper dubbed ‘Ronald McDonald’ for reasons other than his curly, red hair – in other words, a clown could have done better.

Not surprisingly, Liverpool lost 15 times that year, won only three matches away from Anfield and finished a country mile behind eventual champions Manchester United but the players Graeme Souness had were not all bad.

Legends such as John Barnes, Ronnie Whelan, Ian Rush and Jan Molby – when fitness permitted – were still capable of running games, while a wave of young talent including Jamie Redknapp, Steve McManaman, Robbie Fowler, Rob Jones and David James was emerging.

Further more, back then most were happy to dismiss that campaign as a blip and, within three years, Liverpool – under a change of manager, admittedly – were involved in a scrap for the league title once again, having won a major trophy (the Coca-Cola Cup) in 1995.

Put your hand on your heart and ask yourself this – do you see the fortunes of this collective being transformed to such an extent in the same time scale? With each week that passes by, New England Sports Ventures get an idea of the rebuilding job they face.

The big problem Liverpool have is that for too long they have bought badly when venturing into the transfer market and while Roy Hodgson might claim about the squad he inherited, it is difficult to say any of the players he has brought in are making a difference.

Take Paul Konchesky. He experienced what can kindly be described as a ‘testing’ 90 minutes against Stoke, as his positional play was poor, his tackling lacked a bite and his efforts were characterised by an 88th minute free-kick which nearly flew out of the stadium.

But look at the others. Milan Jovanovic can’t get near the team; Joe Cole has struggled with form, suspension and injury; Christian Poulsen has yet to acclimatise ditto Raul Meireles, while Brad Jones and Danny Wilson are unlikely to see Premier League action this year.

Yet dumbing down in terms of quality is nothing new; of those who arrived and left in the summer of 2009, which pair would you rather have had – Glen Johnson and Alberto Aquilani or Alvaro Arbeloa and Xabi Alonso?

To make Konchesky the scapegoat for all that went wrong in the Potteries, however, would be grossly unfair – with the exception of the admirable Pepe Reina, not one player with a Liver Bird on his chest hit the required standards in a feeble, error-strewn display.

You know what to expect when taking on Stoke but from the moment Rory Delap started hurling long throws into the danger zone to ensure the decibels were cranked up inside this atmospheric ground, there were some who simply couldn’t cope.

Which is why it came as no surprise when, after a passage of penalty area pinball, Stoke eventually made their pressure pay and Ricardo Fuller was able to poke a shot in from six yards – once they went behind, there was never going to be any way back.

Fernando Torres never received a pass of note, Steven Gerrard threw his hands in the air every time he looked to launch an attack but nobody wanted to give him an option as Liverpool were overrun in midfield – no wonder there was such animosity in the travelling ranks.

Once Kenwyne Jones had put a realistic tint on the scoreline in injury time, driving past Martin Skrtel as if he wasn’t there, the anger boiled over and the chant of “Dalglish!” that was first aired in the chastening defeat against Blackpool became audible once more.

Sadly, you get the impression it won’t be the last. Players who are not up to it, travel woes – four goals away from Anfield this season – and erratic form make for a disastrous combination; both a quick fix and a long-term rebuild are needed to restore happiness.

Good article .....states precisely where we are heading if something isn't done quick  :(
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:44 am

metalhead wrote:I almost forgot, I thought letting Riera go was a terrible decision, intelligent player who can bring some balance on the left. f*ck him and his off field problems and having a go at everyone, he was a good player and maybe if he stayed we would have seen results differently? you never know, I might be wrong.

Yep, he was one of the main reasons why we did so well in 08/09 season.  It's unbelievable how a manager with "35 yrs of experience" could not see this.  If you're going to let him him go then at least get another winger.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:18 am

ruskiy playmaker wrote:
metalhead wrote:I almost forgot, I thought letting Riera go was a terrible decision, intelligent player who can bring some balance on the left. f*ck him and his off field problems and having a go at everyone, he was a good player and maybe if he stayed we would have seen results differently? you never know, I might be wrong.

Yep, he was one of the main reasons why we did so well in 08/09 season.  It's unbelievable how a manager with "35 yrs of experience" could not see this.  If you're going to let him him go then at least get another winger.

he got Joe Cole. so whats your point?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:13 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
ruskiy playmaker wrote:

And so far exactly what has Joe Cole produced for us
Benny The Noon

Postby ironman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:51 pm

The words from Roy that always make me shiver..... WE DONT PLAY WITH WINGERS...... :help
ironman

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
ruskiy playmaker wrote:

1st Cole is not a winger, 2nd he's past it.
ruskiy playmaker

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:34 am

ironman wrote:The words from Roy that always make me shiver..... WE DONT PLAY WITH WINGERS...... :help

Crazy isn't it.  I see what guys like Krasic, Robben, Di Maria, Nani and Malouda offer to their clubs and I get :censored: off.  Instead Roy just spent the money to get Meirelles so he could play him out of position on the right.
ruskiy playmaker

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games