STOKE CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 16/01/2010 12:45pm sky sports 1

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby kunilson » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:10 pm

wasnt the worst away performance ive seen.

one goal will never be enough tho.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby mrcool2003 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:38 pm

I thought our performance was solid but nothing special, probably wouldnt have scored if the sorensen hadnt made that mistake which is a worry, the line up was too defensive though and its embarrassing playing like that against the stokes and pompeys of this world, we will need to play far better like that on wednesday although i think we should as we'll have the attacking players on, i just wonder why we cant play attacking football against teams like stoke away from home though thats what gets me.
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Owzat wrote:I'd rather have lost the game going all out for it and trying to play them at football rather than what they play.

I'd rather we'd held on for the final few minutes!  :D
LFC2007

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:21 pm

I believe that the performance, whilst far from pretty, has finally dispelled the myth that Rafa has lost the players.

Because the one thing we weren't lacking was determination.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:38 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:I believe that the performance, whilst far from pretty, has finally dispelled the myth that Rafa has lost the players.

Most pathetic post of the season by far.  :angry:
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby Owzat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:23 pm

shawnk wrote:Owzat, I suggest you dont waste your time to come out with stats as some people dont really look at it for decision making.

I suggest you feck off
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Festy wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:I believe that the performance, whilst far from pretty, has finally dispelled the myth that Rafa has lost the players.

I've seen worse, one I've just replied to's for example
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:30 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Skrtel looked like he was about to make a mistake any second, but Kyrgiakos looked very useful and should probably play against all the other Stoke like teams this year, especially on the road.  For 97% of the game the defense played great and handled the pressure well.  We did not do a good job of holding onto the ball, but we were not getting any help from the ref. To me, it seemed like Stoke were allowed to play as physical as they wanted, and we were not allowed to do the same things back to them.

Didn't create much, but we didn't have creative players out there. I would have preferred Aurelio at LB and Riera at LM, but Reira could not have been fit to play for very long, and although he has good height for a midfielder, doesn't deal with physical play all that well. Maxi hadn't played in a few weeks and didn't have many 90 minutes under his belt this year either, and Stoke away is a terrible game to make your debut.  This didn't seem like much of an Aquilani game either, at least not at this stage of his LFC career.

ALthough Yossi is small and tricky, he is pretty tough, really could have used him, and obviously Gerrard and Torres. Johnson would have been useful too, even if we were playing him at RM, he would have been better than Degen. And if we played him at RB, then we could have kept Skrtel on the bench

Thought Lucas could have earned two penalties, and of course that header at the end would have made a world of difference.

Does anyone know where the stoppage time came from? Was it all the wasted time with the throw merchants wiping the ball because I debate whether time should be added on for a tactic they shouldn't be allowed to employ - wiping the ball not the throw itself. I bet if Reina wiped the ball for every goal kick he'd get booked for time wasting, as it is I see it unfair they add time on (if they did) for that. Not sure it could have been for injuries as they made their two subs in the FIRST half, and we only made two all match.

Of course wasn't the ref mr "perfect" from the pompey game, the one Rafa said was "perfect" or had a "perfect" game
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:33 pm

Owzat wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:In fairness, we played quite well given the players we picked. You couldn't have reasonably expected a team that contained none of our recognised creative players to play good football or make too many chances. It was a team that was setup to keep it tight and try and nick something on the break, which was successful until about the final 10 min's when we ought to have done more to prevent them getting near our 18 yd box.

I thought our defence did especially well considering how shaky it's been thus far. Kyrgiakos was in his element out there (he'd slot right into that Stoke team btw). Lucas did surprisingly well considering he isn't the biggest, while most of the others did their jobs well, which was basically to put themselves about. Within the confines of our strategy, the major problem was, IMO, Ngog. He was our main striker and he couldn't hold the ball up for sh!t (or, if you like, he did nothing). It may not be his fault that he's not good enough but it was a major factor today, IMO.

Certainly if he was doing his job to a decent standard he probably would've stayed on the pitch, which, in that final 10' where Stoke were pressing for an equaliser could have helped to ease a bit of the pressure on the defence. Just imagine if Crouch were there....

The problem is we rather tied our hands and feet together with the selection, I mean with a midfield and attack comprising Mascherano, Lucas, Aurelio, Degen, Kuyt and N'Gog where is the creativity? We could have won it with a dire team selection, but what if our two most creative players had started instead of coming on (late) ?

But what it boils down to is trying to hang on for a 1-0 win and conceding a late goal, we're simply not scoring enough goals and without me saying "I mean with a midfield and attack comprising......................" and listing the same six players, where was a second, third or fourth goal going to come from that was going to bring about the goals we need to win. Let's make no mistakes about this, as much as we might ALL love to be a 1-0 Arsenal-esque side of the past that grinds out results with a clean sheet, we're not with the current personnel and system. So we have to look to get the second goal and we don't have it in us this season.

We've played 31 games this season, we've scored one goal in FIFTEEN of those 31 games (nearly half) - P15 W4 D3 L8 F15 A21. The four (1-0) wins were over league one Lids, two over Hungarian side Debrecen who everyone else in the group scored freely against, and a last gasp Torres winner at villa park.

We've also taken the lead in shedloads of those one goalers, here's results when we score one goal by when we scored (first, last etc)

One Goal Wonders

1-0 vs Lyon - lost 1-2
1-0 vs Arsenal - lost 1-2
1-0 vs Reading - lost 1-2
1-0 vs Fiorentina - lost 1-2
1-0 vs Lyon - drew 1-1
1-0 vs Stoke - drew 1-1
1-0 vs Debrecen - won 1-0
1-0 vs Debrecen - won 1-0
1-0 vs Leeds - won 1-0
1-0 vs A Villa - won 1-0

1-1 vs Reading - drew 1-1
1-1 vs Tottenham - lost 1-2
1-1 vs Arsenal - lost 1-2
1-1 vs Fulham - lost 1-3

1-2 vs A Villa - lost 1-3

So essentially in the games we've only scored once in we've gone in front TEN TIMES, gone behind but equalised four times and only once were we more than one behind before we scored.

Took Lead 1-0 - P10 W4 D2 L4
Levelled 1-1 - P4 W0 D1 L3
Other (0-2 then 1-2) - P1 W0 D0 L1

So we've tossed away six games we led 1-0, not even drawing four of them. We equalised on four occaisions but still lost three of them and only ONCE have we lost this season without being level at 1-1. We need to score more goals, playing nine defensive/back five players is not the best way to go about it. There were so many on the pitch it did increase the chances of a defender scoring, there weren't enough attackers on the pitch for it not to be more likely a defender would score - 4-1 ratio of outfield defenders to attackers. Even them I'm not convinced Kyrgiakos scored as much as it was pushed onto him and it went in off him, what you might call a "block goal"

On THIS occasion our hands have been tied with selection (to a certain extent). But that excuse can't be used for all the other weird and wacky selections Rafa has picked, not to mention his transfer blunders.

The team have lost faith with Rafa, his support from the fans is dwindling, the board are giving him the dreaded vote of confidence.

Even the ultra-loyal pro-Rafa supporters have to admit the club has lost it's way, far beyond the excuses of money.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:25 pm

fuc'king sh'it result again
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:30 pm

Owzat....mate - I HAVE to ask...
Why the hell do you bother with uninteresting stats that just clog up a thread ? Do you think anybody reads them ?

I'm not trying to start a row....it's just, well, pointless really....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:48 pm

Pick a formation with 6 defenders and 2 holding midfielders and a gritty performance with endeavour you will get.

That told me nothing at all.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby supersub » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:18 pm

Festy wrote:

No festy, yours was the most pathetic: and for attempting to fan the flames of war with your post I will award you another square
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby beng » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:53 pm

players' performance in the game against STOKE
http://www.voteplayers.com/Matches....24.aspx
beng

Postby supersub » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:48 am

Owzat wrote:I'd rather have lost the game going all out for it and trying to play them at football rather than what they play.

you would rather have lost   :no
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games