STOKE CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 16/01/2010 12:45pm sky sports 1

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby aCe' » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:47 pm

JoeTerp wrote:We gained a point on 4th today

hardly cause for celebration man... They had a tougher fixture and didnt need the win as much as we did.. and lets not forget theres 3 sides standing between us and 4th spot and all 3 of them seem to have enough about them to continue their charge towards 4th spot..

We just need to take it one game at a time and focus on getting the results without relying on others doing us any favors..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hicks » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:48 pm

Had it on 5 live today all they were goin on about was how poor the game was and the worse performance by a ref all season...
I know i know but i joined before THAT HICKS did  Oh Lordy
hicks

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:50 pm

Skrtel looked like he was about to make a mistake any second, but Kyrgiakos looked very useful and should probably play against all the other Stoke like teams this year, especially on the road.  For 97% of the game the defense played great and handled the pressure well.  We did not do a good job of holding onto the ball, but we were not getting any help from the ref. To me, it seemed like Stoke were allowed to play as physical as they wanted, and we were not allowed to do the same things back to them.

Didn't create much, but we didn't have creative players out there. I would have preferred Aurelio at LB and Riera at LM, but Reira could not have been fit to play for very long, and although he has good height for a midfielder, doesn't deal with physical play all that well. Maxi hadn't played in a few weeks and didn't have many 90 minutes under his belt this year either, and Stoke away is a terrible game to make your debut.  This didn't seem like much of an Aquilani game either, at least not at this stage of his LFC career.

ALthough Yossi is small and tricky, he is pretty tough, really could have used him, and obviously Gerrard and Torres. Johnson would have been useful too, even if we were playing him at RM, he would have been better than Degen. And if we played him at RB, then we could have kept Skrtel on the bench

Thought Lucas could have earned two penalties, and of course that header at the end would have made a world of difference.
JoeTerp

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:23 pm

twentee-seffan-thoushand-peepl
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:24 pm

Dundalk wrote:twentee-seffan-thoushand-peepl

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:29 pm

Dundalk wrote:twentee-seffan-thoushand-peepl

:laugh:  :laugh:  Was just pathetic though towards the end, the interviewer was getting more and more frustrated i wouldnt have been surprised if he had hit him with the microphone on the head to try and get a different track going... Funny as fck though...   :D
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:32 pm

Only thing I can say about the team without Stevie and Nando is that it will play harder than it has been.  Stevie and Nando's body language is bad for us when things aren't going well.
Zidane

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:32 pm

Interviewer was this clown

Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shawnk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:07 am

Wonder when will we win the league again, I dont have that many 20 years left!
shawnk

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:25 am

Dundalk wrote:Interviewer was this clown

Rafa should of feckin hit him , he tried to do the same thing a weeks weeks ago, im fed up of Sky trying to take the pi,ss out of him, Just tell them to feck off Rafa lad,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:35 am

agoodmentality wrote:
Boocity wrote:
Greavesie wrote:
s@int wrote:TBH I am neither shocked or too upset with our result, I just feel numbed now, too many bad results too get to depressed about this one.

This sums me up n all saint

I was shocked when I first saw the team, I was so depressed looking at a teamsheet that was so bad, so defensive I hadn't seen anything so poor since the Souness time

That $hit team almost ground out a good 3 points at the Brittania,,

I seen an increase in effort by the team, in the absence of gerrard and torres, almost like when a team goes down to  10 men.

was Degen limping  when he came off ?   
If he was'nt then i'd rather have him in the box defending againt the stoke long ball, rather than 'mini maxi'.

was this a enforced substitution or tactical?

Degen was fading in the second half, turning the ball over a bit too much. He had a solid first half and was very much involved in our attacking moves.

For a change, I was quite satisfied with our performance, given the team that was put out to play. A bit strange from our flanks though - first half, the right side was ticking well, Insua on the left wasn't doing well with possession. Second half, the left side got their act together - but with Degen fading, our right side was not a threat at all.

For those crying about subs, we were leading when rafa brought on Maxi and Aquilani. Won't stop you from bitching about it though.

Just need a solid game with a few goals for us to bring belief back into this side. It seems we just get stuck at the one goal, game after game :(
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:15 am

Ben Patrick wrote:I have now been sent what to me is an even worse team

Reina
Carra
the greek
skyrtl
Insua
degen - right mid
mash
lucas
aurellio - left mid
aquilani
Kuyt

Thats 6 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders

Oh my f'ckin god ? ? ? ? ?

NINE defensive players if you count the keeper, we set out to play as stoke vs anti-stoke ie stop them. Perhaps someone could whisper in Rafa's ear that in order to be more attacking and take off say just the FBs playing wide, he'd have to use up all his substitutions..................................

The real shock in selection was he had more attackers on the bench than defenders, but then he can't have had many left as they were all on the pitch!

I'd rather have lost the game going all out for it and trying to play them at football rather than what they play. I've come up with a name for what Stoke play, it is Super High Intensity Throw Empowered football or S. H. I. T. E. football. Sadly our's was just as bad, one of the least watchable games this season.
Last edited by Owzat on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:45 am

LFC2007 wrote:In fairness, we played quite well given the players we picked. You couldn't have reasonably expected a team that contained none of our recognised creative players to play good football or make too many chances. It was a team that was setup to keep it tight and try and nick something on the break, which was successful until about the final 10 min's when we ought to have done more to prevent them getting near our 18 yd box.

I thought our defence did especially well considering how shaky it's been thus far. Kyrgiakos was in his element out there (he'd slot right into that Stoke team btw). Lucas did surprisingly well considering he isn't the biggest, while most of the others did their jobs well, which was basically to put themselves about. Within the confines of our strategy, the major problem was, IMO, Ngog. He was our main striker and he couldn't hold the ball up for sh!t (or, if you like, he did nothing). It may not be his fault that he's not good enough but it was a major factor today, IMO.

Certainly if he was doing his job to a decent standard he probably would've stayed on the pitch, which, in that final 10' where Stoke were pressing for an equaliser could have helped to ease a bit of the pressure on the defence. Just imagine if Crouch were there....

The problem is we rather tied our hands and feet together with the selection, I mean with a midfield and attack comprising Mascherano, Lucas, Aurelio, Degen, Kuyt and N'Gog where is the creativity? We could have won it with a dire team selection, but what if our two most creative players had started instead of coming on (late) ?

But what it boils down to is trying to hang on for a 1-0 win and conceding a late goal, we're simply not scoring enough goals and without me saying "I mean with a midfield and attack comprising......................" and listing the same six players, where was a second, third or fourth goal going to come from that was going to bring about the goals we need to win. Let's make no mistakes about this, as much as we might ALL love to be a 1-0 Arsenal-esque side of the past that grinds out results with a clean sheet, we're not with the current personnel and system. So we have to look to get the second goal and we don't have it in us this season.

We've played 31 games this season, we've scored one goal in FIFTEEN of those 31 games (nearly half) - P15 W4 D3 L8 F15 A21. The four (1-0) wins were over league one Lids, two over Hungarian side Debrecen who everyone else in the group scored freely against, and a last gasp Torres winner at villa park.

We've also taken the lead in shedloads of those one goalers, here's results when we score one goal by when we scored (first, last etc)

One Goal Wonders

1-0 vs Lyon - lost 1-2
1-0 vs Arsenal - lost 1-2
1-0 vs Reading - lost 1-2
1-0 vs Fiorentina - lost 1-2
1-0 vs Lyon - drew 1-1
1-0 vs Stoke - drew 1-1
1-0 vs Debrecen - won 1-0
1-0 vs Debrecen - won 1-0
1-0 vs Leeds - won 1-0
1-0 vs A Villa - won 1-0

1-1 vs Reading - drew 1-1
1-1 vs Tottenham - lost 1-2
1-1 vs Arsenal - lost 1-2
1-1 vs Fulham - lost 1-3

1-2 vs A Villa - lost 1-3

So essentially in the games we've only scored once in we've gone in front TEN TIMES, gone behind but equalised four times and only once were we more than one behind before we scored.

Took Lead 1-0 - P10 W4 D2 L4
Levelled 1-1 - P4 W0 D1 L3
Other (0-2 then 1-2) - P1 W0 D0 L1

So we've tossed away six games we led 1-0, not even drawing four of them. We equalised on four occaisions but still lost three of them and only ONCE have we lost this season without being level at 1-1. We need to score more goals, playing nine defensive/back five players is not the best way to go about it. There were so many on the pitch it did increase the chances of a defender scoring, there weren't enough attackers on the pitch for it not to be more likely a defender would score - 4-1 ratio of outfield defenders to attackers. Even them I'm not convinced Kyrgiakos scored as much as it was pushed onto him and it went in off him, what you might call a "block goal"
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shawnk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:39 am

Owzat, I suggest you dont waste your time to come out with stats as some people dont really look at it for decision making.
shawnk

Postby Madmax » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:28 pm

shawnk wrote:Owzat, I suggest you dont waste your time to come out with stats as some people dont really look at it for decision making.

:wwww
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games