Liverpool vs Stoke 17th Aug 12:45 ( BT Sports )

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby supersub » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:12 am

jacdaniel » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:25 pm wrote:Delighted with the win but a bit disappointed with that performance to be honest.
Once again we struggled in the final third, finishing was poor and some poor decision making.
Looked fairly poor at the back too.  They hit the bar, missed a pen and had a chance cleared off the line.  We looked dodgy everytime they came forward.
Almost shot ourselves in the foot.

Happy to win but much more work to be done if we are to get involved in the hunt for top 4.

WHICH GAME WERE YOU AT ?  :oh:
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:23 am

I think the truth is more in the middle - we did look threatening up front but didnt convert enough chances - that was a combination of poor finishing , woodwork and great goalkeeping, hopefully it's not a repeat of 2 seasons.

At the back it was very nervous all game , some very scary moments when crosses arrived , gk flapping which allowed a clear chance which they missed. Look ver venerable at set pieces and crosses but some sharp saves from the gk.

I'm glad we looked more threatening with the ball and didnt just pass for the sake of passing , Coutinho was always looking to move forward with it. It was a tough opening game that was far from perfect - Coutinho was the stand out along with Lucas and Sturridge - the rest had moments. But it's a game we would have normally drawn so to get three points is a great result and a good start - very long way to go
Benny The Noon

Postby LFC1990 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Great game yesterday and for once a great atmosphere from the corwd.

Coutinho was MOTM he was simply unstoppable. Toure close second simply because he give it his all. From attacking the corner and then sprinting back this guy was fantastic.

Gerrard was dissapointing but not sure if that was because he was playing a deeper role.
Henderson let me down as i have always supported him but had a shaky game. Mignolet saved himself with that penalty save.

Great 3 points.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:06 pm

i didn't see a great deal different to last season if i'm honest. going forward we were decent again and should have had more goals. defensively we're still a shambles from set pieces though.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Gerrard dissappointing....looked for the 50 yard crossfield balls too much when simple passes were clearly available
I actually thought Henderson linked well with Aspas, Coutinho, & Sturridge
Lucas was awesome , Toure was too......always comfortable on the ball
Mignolet nervous start but proved his worth with  2 magnificent saves
Never felt we were seriously threatened but at 1-0 nil ...a little mishap can cost dear as in the past
we need to be more clinical in front of goal to kill off the games......

Overall a very positive start
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:51 pm

What a positive start. Stoke are always horrible to play against and prior to Danny's goal they simply parked the proverbial bus.

PC, Danny and Aspas all linked very well. Aspas made a very positive contribution. In fact all the new signings looked ok.

best start to the season for 5 years and briefly top of the league !!!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Homebooby » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:46 pm

I don't really have an opinion that is any different than if we had lost or drawn the game. Too early to tell and we need to see where we are in 4 weeks time. If we've taken 7-9 points before the international break the signs are definitely positive. Lovely to start the season with a win and clearly with the activity on the board since the game, we all needed something positive to cling on to.

Onwards and upwards....
Homebooby

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games