BIRMINGHAM CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 12 september 2010 : 16.00 ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:26 am

really cant see what our plan to win football matches is anymore? if we keep picking midifelds like that its gonna be last season all over again. Roy show some balls and put out a side with some sort of attacking threat, we cant rely on Torres is to pull a rabit out of the hat every game. Very unimpressed so far :(
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:19 am

Scottbot wrote:Too many opinions influenced by the usual pro and anti stuff that's dominated this forum for so long. I read posts from 'pros' that are incredibly direct and succinct in their criticism of the way we're playing at the moment particularly when compared to their reactions/vocab in the wake of similarly awful performances last season. And vice versa with antis going easy on last night's performance (or others) as if they're afraid to point out glaring errors or mistakes because they feel duty bound to support the new man (or not to criticise) despite things (ie. last nights team sheet) being plainly all wrong.

The upshot being you find yourself taking a pinch of salt with 60-70% of the posts on here.

Nailed it there, Scott.  It's like the Twilight Zone in here lately.  We're hearing the EXACT same choruses we heard last year but everyone's swapped hymnals and are singing from the opposite choir box this time around.  It's clear that most of the stuff being posted lately is done with tongues firmly superglued inside cheeks, as combatants comprehensively parrot many of the arguments they railed against just a season ago.  It's all a massive p!ss-take from what I can see, with very little actual, candid, call-it-like-I-see-it assessments been offered (apart from your good self, that is).  I must admit the irony of it all raises a smirk now and again but it is growing a little stale.  Maybe the posturing will wind down soon and we can have a genuine discussion about how it's going so far?  :lookaround
Last edited by Bad Bob on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:29 am

Bad Bob wrote:
Scottbot wrote:Too many opinions influenced by the usual pro and anti stuff that's dominated this forum for so long. I read posts from 'pros' that are incredibly direct and succinct in their criticism of the way we're playing at the moment particularly when compared to their reactions/vocab in the wake of similarly awful performances last season. And vice versa with antis going easy on last night's performance (or others) as if they're afraid to point out glaring errors or mistakes because they feel duty bound to support the new man (or not to criticise) despite things (ie. last nights team sheet) being plainly all wrong.

The upshot being you find yourself taking a pinch of salt with 60-70% of the posts on here.

Nailed it there, Scott.  It's like the Twilight Zone in here lately.  We're hearing the EXACT same choruses we heard last year but everyone's swapped hymnals and are singing from the opposite choir box this time around.  It's clear that most of the stuff being posted lately is done with tongues firmly superglued inside cheeks, as combatants comprehensively parrot many of the arguments they railed against just a season ago.  It's all a massive p!ss-take from what I can see, with very little actual, candid, call-it-like-I-see-it assessments been offered (apart from your good self, that is).  I must admit the irony of it all raises a smirk now and again but it is growing a little stale.  Maybe the posturing will wind down soon and we can have a genuine discussion about how it's going so far?  :lookaround

:nod
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:20 am

Im back but i watched the game out there . absolutly fecking woeful.and dire performance.i coulndt have not one word of any argument for us with any opposition supporters, and for me Johnson worse player on the pitch. he needs to get a :censored: grip.
Utterly not impressed with what i have seen , actualy only from PEPE . WHO NEVER LETS US DOWN
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:22 am

Good post Bob, although I'm not actually sure you are correct anymore. I thought the same as you until the Birmingham game, the ex antis like myself were bigging Roy up and giving it plenty of :buttrock, praising his every statement and signing like it was the coup of the year etc.

It is of course utterly ridiculous to hail a statement like "we need new owners" with "oh my God Roy is standing up for us, he loves the fans, he's telling it like it is, he's fecking off those two yank c...s" etc etc and I ciouldn't bring myself to do it. I did say though that Roy was proving he wasn't a "yes man" which was sufficient to induce a fair bit of mouth froth.

Equally, it's absolutely daft to hail Paul Konchesky as the best left back World football, to say he's only cost us 59p in up front payments and to throw one over the thumb about a youtube clip so I decided to go for the fact that he is better than Insua. Once again that did the trick and the forum turned into a missle range as we dodged the flying toys out of the pram.

It was all good clean knockabout fun. The ex-pro's of course said Joe Cole was no coup, he was infact a risk (they aren't bound by the same desire to be at least a little bit sensible as I am). They said Konchesky was terrible and not fit to wear the shirt, and they uber slagged him off for not signing a striker, even though the manager only had money for two days and we haven't signed a striker for two years.

All good clean fun though, knockabout stuff and not to be taken too seriously.

Then the reaction to the Birmingham game  ??? I think it goes a bit deeper than I thought mate, a bit deeper than you thought too.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:15 pm

bigmick wrote:Good post Bob, although I'm not actually sure you are correct anymore. I thought the same as you until the Birmingham game, the ex antis like myself were bigging Roy up and giving it plenty of :buttrock, praising his every statement and signing like it was the coup of the year etc.

It is of course utterly ridiculous to hail a statement like "we need new owners" with "oh my God Roy is standing up for us, he loves the fans, he's telling it like it is, he's fecking off those two yank c...s" etc etc and I ciouldn't bring myself to do it. I did say though that Roy was proving he wasn't a "yes man" which was sufficient to induce a fair bit of mouth froth.

Equally, it's absolutely daft to hail Paul Konchesky as the best left back World football, to say he's only cost us 59p in up front payments and to throw one over the thumb about a youtube clip so I decided to go for the fact that he is better than Insua. Once again that did the trick and the forum turned into a missle range as we dodged the flying toys out of the pram.

It was all good clean knockabout fun. The ex-pro's of course said Joe Cole was no coup, he was infact a risk (they aren't bound by the same desire to be at least a little bit sensible as I am). They said Konchesky was terrible and not fit to wear the shirt, and they uber slagged him off for not signing a striker, even though the manager only had money for two days and we haven't signed a striker for two years.

Then the reaction to the Birmingham game  ??? I think it goes a bit deeper than I thought mate, a bit deeper than you thought too.

No bother, mate, we're getting there.  Since Scott posted his comments above we've got Benny actually admitting that he's being much tougher on Roy than he ever was on Rafa, which is a relief to hear.  Not because it wasn't obvious to the rest of us but because he's acknowledged it too, which makes things easier.  Before that, we've seen RBG climb down off his soapbox on a couple of occasions as well, which is also welcome.

And, then there's you mate.  I think it's fair to say you've been making some good sport of the  :buttrock in recent weeks and have enjoyed a bit of the wind-up games with Benny and the other doubters.  But you seem to be knuckling down a little now and are acknowledging that Roy's arrival hasn't heralded an instantaneous improvement in form and that we've got a lot of work to do to get in amongst the Champions League places.  In short we're getting into the realm of real discussion, where people are prepared to let some of the old nonsense go in favour of actually looking at the team, tactics etc. under Roy, which is lovely.  Now if we could just get Bam to put the pins back in the grenades I think we might be onto something.  :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:20 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
bigmick wrote:Good post Bob, although I'm not actually sure you are correct anymore. I thought the same as you until the Birmingham game, the ex antis like myself were bigging Roy up and giving it plenty of :buttrock, praising his every statement and signing like it was the coup of the year etc.

No bother, mate, we're getting there.  Since Scott posted his comments above we've got Benny actually admitting that he's being much tougher on Roy than he ever was on Rafa, which is a relief to hear.  Not because it wasn't obvious to the rest of us but because he's acknowledged it too, which makes things easier.  Before that, we've seen RBG climb down off his soapbox on a couple of occasions as well, which is also welcome.

And, then there's you mate.  I think it's fair to say you've been making some good sport of the  :buttrock in recent weeks and have enjoyed a bit of the wind-up games with Benny and the other doubters.  But you seem to be knuckling down a little now and are acknowledging that Roy's arrival hasn't heralded an instantaneous improvement in form and that we've got a lot of work to do to get in amongst the Champions League places.  In short we're getting into the realm of real discussion, where people are prepared to let some of the old nonsense go in favour of actually looking at the team, tactics etc. under Roy, which is lovely.  Now if we could just get Bam to put the pins back in the grenades I think we might be onto something.  :nod

Spot on - great post Bob  :buttrock  :bowdown
Benny The Noon

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Scottbot wrote:I've been pretty critical I think but no more so than last year when I was literally pulling my hair out and abusing the TV on a regular basis but I'm still confident things will improve and the season progresses. Also, it's very important to remember (particularly yourself, or Lynds, Lando etc) that we played some truly terrible games in the league in Rafa's first season. We were very sketchy for much of the time. I know he was new to English football at the time but that isn't a get out clause as far as i'm concerned. I guess what i'm saying is I doubt you were issuing ultimatums like the one you just referred to so early in Rafa's first season in charge? I dare say you were more patient?

Good post. We were dreadful that season in the League. I remeber us getting beat by the likes of Crystal Palace and Southmpton who both went down. Infact Peter Crouch tore us to shreds and that's why we ended up buying him that summer. That Southampton display was probably the worst I've EVER seen from a Liverpool side, far worse than anything I saw last season or this, and even worse than anything I saw under Souness (which was unbelievably poor).
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Rockthekop » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:15 pm

One thing that worried me against Birmingham was the defending, it was atrocious.  Birmingham had three few headers that would have been certain goals had it not been for the brilliant Pepe. 

Skrtel, Carragher and especially Johnson were very poor.  I never rated Skrtel so it's no surprise he was having a mare, Carragher isn't the player he was and Johnson should be an attacking player, not a full back because he just can't defend. 

We will need to sign a dominant CB in the not too distant future, we are weak at the back.  It's not the first time we have been this poor in that department.
Rockthekop

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:13 pm

I have been away for for a while so I will start with the first game I was forced to endure from a bar on holiday along with a couple of residents and believe it or not a fucking Chelsea fan
Anyway  Lets not jump the gun here ,but even in these early stages of our so -called   gradual progression under Roy ,it seems I rather get the impression that this may make for painful viewing in the coming months .

If I am led to believe (and in the managers own words ) that going to the likes of Birmingham away
with no real belief of collecting 3 points and considering a draw a creditable result ….  Is considered an achievement ………..
Then anyone blinkered enough to feel  that they are  at a loss to explain   as to why the majority of us fans were indeed desperately disappointed with the eventual result  ,then that can be easily translated ….. The team was woefully short of any cohesion our passing was shoddy and our overall play disjointed and ugly to watch ,we missed the impetus of Kuyt although posters will never truly admit this ,we fell short in front of goal because there was little or no supply to Torres …… Poulson was a  virtual passenger in the midfield ,reminded me of a pensioner with Alzheimer’s who had just been allowed in the garden for the first time ,as for Lucas well him and Reina are the only notable exceptions to the not good enough club today  because albeit from their performances there was precious little to shout about
Johnson is a liability of the highest order ,truly abysmal and even more worrying his lethargy is starting to make Babel look energetic …….. Sooner we our rid of this blight in our backline the better for the club in general ,now for the small matter of our new Left back Konchesky ,started well then made some glaringly bad errors twice conceding possession and  made  Cameron Jerome look like :censored: Drogba in the air such was his lack of aerial dominance ,better strikers will destroy us mark my words and Premiership wingers  up and down the country will be rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of raiding our wing only to be confronted by Konchesky and Johnson   …… like I said painful viewing and I have had  to watch it in a bar in Miami surrounded by baseball fans ,who I had convinced to watch the game telling them that English football was the best in the world …. Needless to say on the games ending they felt thoroughly cheated ,and so if I am truly honest did I ……………. I know this is a belated response, but I had wrote it on my phone directly after the game ...so if I had amended it in anyway I would have felt slightly dishonest  .....
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games