STOKE CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 10 september 2011, ko: 15:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ethanr » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:40 am

metalhead wrote:Hmm I have a feeling that Johnson will be fit for this one and we will play the 3 center back formation we used against them at home and Chelsea away

It might work

But is it necessary now? Especially with the strength we have in the midfield, it seems we' always want at least 4 in, and if we take out Carroll, he can't help on the set pieces.

I guess I could see it happen if we stuck Coates in as the 3rd CB.  I know that would really be throwing him in, but his ability would be used best against a club like Stoke.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:03 am

We need Coates for this game, 6ft odd centre back capable of jumping to defend crosses cos I reckon they'll hoof the ball onto Crouches head.
Up front I would play Bellamy. He wont be phased if he gets a kick and can give it back.

I'm confident about the game though. I think we have too much for them...   

Stoke 1 - 3 Liverpool (Bellamy, Carroll 2)
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:41 am

I think we have too much for them... 

I agree with this RRH. As long as the boys mentally turn up then we shouldn't have too much of a problem.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:17 pm

the weekend can't come quick enough for me now. can't wait. international breaks do my head in. just hope all our players get through the games tomorrow injury free.

adam possibly being out is a blow so it'll be interesting to see what we do in there. not sure about henderson in the centre in a midfield two so with stoke's combative style i think we could see spearing get a reprieve.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby brentd4 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:48 pm

really tought to know how to set up for this game, we all know it will be tough, but i wudnt put coates in just yet, he will need time to gel with the team, and to throw him in such a tough physical game, i think it may dampen his confidence if he has a tough game,

reina
carragher    srktel        agger          j.enrique

this defence should be physical enough for stoke and srktel isnt bad in the air.

henderson   lucas    adam (if fit, not!! /spearing)     
kuyt                                                                           downing

5 in the middle all of which can handle to strength of stokes midfield and each player will happily put in 110%

suarez

we all know what he can do.

1-0 kuyt          come on you reds
brentd4

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:59 pm

Roger Red Hat wrote:We need Coates for this game, 6ft odd centre back capable of jumping to defend crosses cos I reckon they'll hoof the ball onto Crouches head.
Up front I would play Bellamy. He wont be phased if he gets a kick and can give it back.

I'm confident about the game though. I think we have too much for them...   

Stoke 1 - 3 Liverpool (Bellamy, Carroll 2)

I can't see Coates making any debut in the league. Far too risky, too many good foreign players still need time to adapt to the league.

Carroll is a cert to start, considering we are both away and playing against a physical side.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:36 pm

Charlie Adam is a doubt for the Stoke game

Bloody internationals
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Adam missing and people dont have confidence in Henderson ? Why the fck did we spend 8 mill replacing Meireles with a player who is seemingly not good enough to even start against a midtable side ?

Personally, Id start Spearing and Lucas in the middle and have Kuyt starting higher up to support Suarez. Maxi and Downing down the flanks and its somewhat sorted at least down one end . Hopefully Johnson is back because we'll surely need as many technical players out there as we can get since any chance of creating decent chances through the middle will be somewhat limited . Henderson, Carroll and Bellamy(if fully fit then I'd have him ahead of Maxi) can all come off the bench to try and shake things up if they arent going our way.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 am

you moan about Henderson then put Spearing in the starting XI? Spearing is not good enough either.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:01 am

I wouldn't have Maxi anywhere near the starting line-up. He's a decent player but finds it hard to get into the game more often than not.

And we'll need all hands on deck, not a couple of hands on the per-phial of the game.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:46 am

Roger Red Hat wrote:you moan about Henderson then put Spearing in the starting XI? Spearing is not good enough either.

At least Spearing does a specific job for the side when picked. I think he's done okay so far when picked and I'd honestly pick him ahead of Henderson to shore up the defensive side of things. A midfield pairing of Lucas and Henderson for me would be a disaster at both ends. Lucas would be left exposed defensively and Henderson would struggle to control the game under pressure in the middle. I'd much rather we had Spearing and Lucas pressing their midfield from relatively higher up the middle of the park than have Lucas exposed and outnumbered if he partners Henderson.

My moaning about Henderson comes from the fact that many people were saying that hes good enough and that he deserves his place in the side, but what happens when we actually need him to step up due to injuries ? They realize that its a big gamble relying on him . And I agree with that.

For me we'll need Downing and Suarez at the top of their game for this one. With or without Henderson, I'm afraid we have very little down the middle of the park in terms of creativity and flair to effectively dominate possession or nullify their gameplan.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:02 am

Kenny Kan wrote:I wouldn't have Maxi anywhere near the starting line-up. He's a decent player but finds it hard to get into the game more often than not.

And we'll need all hands on deck, not a couple of hands on the per-phial of the game.

I think Maxi has done okay in recent times to warrant a few starts here and there. He's probably not good enough to hold down a starting spot in the side but given the player missing from this one and our need for players who are good with the ball at their feet, I think he'd make a good option against Stoke.

Looking at the midfielders and forwards we can put out against them, its pretty obvious that we are somewhat short on players with obvious attacking flair and intelligence..

Spearing, Lucas, Henderson, Downing, Maxi, Kuyt, Bellamy(?), Suarez and Carroll are our options for this one. Out of the players above, Downing, Maxi, Bellamy and Suarez are probably the best at creating chances and keeping possession higher up the pitch.

Kuyt, Downing and Suarez for me are nailed on starters and the fourth spot is between Maxi, Bellamy, and Carroll.

Starting Carroll as many have suggested could seriously backfire on us. We're playing arguably the best side aerially in the league and given Carroll's poor form and our tendency to play it long and high to the front when hes in there, we could end up giving them possession over and over again without being able to use our main strengths (Suarez and Downing). Leaves Bellamy and Maxi for me, and if Bellamy is fit I'd definitely rather he started on the flank to support Suarez. Kuyt in a central role to help whatever midfield partnership we have and it might just work.

Sticking with my 0-0 prediction regardless though.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:55 am

Lets play our own game instead of trying to beat them at theirs.
Carroll on the bench i hope and maybe used as as impact sub.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby worcester_red » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm a bit confused why people say Carrol is in poor form, he won't improve until he gets more game time, I still think he will prove to be a great signing for us.
As for the match I think it will be tight but I fancy us to win it.
worcester_red

Postby Gerrard30391 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Why not go 4-4-2? Play Carrol and Suarez together as Carrol will provide aerial ability both attacking and defending.

So,

Reina,

Carra      Agger       Skrtel      Enrique

Lucas         Adam
                      (If unfit Henderson)

Henderson                      Downing
(If Adam unfit Bellamy)

Carrol         Suarez
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games