Season scapegoats - Who's your pick

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:09 pm

After losing Zenden at the end of last season we seem to be having trouble finding this seasons scapegoat for any bad performances.We just seem to have too many to pick from this season with no outstanding candidate. Heres my runners and riders :-

Pennant :- ruined his chances by playing well so far this season, but any loss of form and he will soon be back among the favourites

Crouch :- He's tall and lanky, hasn't played much, seems to have an attitude problem and with Torres sparkling so far this season may struggle for games. Good early season runner for scapegoat.

Sissoko :- Can't pass a ball five yards, is never going to improve at his age, doesn't score enough goals etc etc. Would be one of the favourites but for his goal and performance against Sunderland.

Kuyt :- Early season favourite, can't score, too slow, offers no goal threat. Looked well set for the job of scapegoat until he blew it by scoring a couple of goals against Toulouse.

Riise :- Can't pass, master at the aimless boot upfield and the hopefull blast over the bar. Always out of position when fullback and can't beat a man or cross a ball when played further forward. Arbeloa playing so well has placed Riise firmly as second favourite.(until another Riise blast finds the net anyway)

Veronin :- My preseason tip for the job. Ruined his chances by playing well and worse still scoring too frequently. May come with a late run if the goals dry up.

Alonso :- Too slow, doesn't play well with Gerrard, plays too deep and he's too easy to take out of the game. Only seems interested when we play in the cups, and Mascherano is newer faster and better. All he can do is pass.

Benayoun :- Been given the benefit of the doubt up to now, but a few more lackluster performances could see him in there with a chance. 

Benitez :- A couple more disappointing games or strange team selections could see our esteemed manager becoming the scapegoat for our teams results. Has seemingly little chance at the moment but if the results dont go our way expect a few "lost the plot" and it "was all Rafa's fault" to spread through the post game analysis.

My tip for scapegoat of the season has to be Crouch. He looks different and with last seasons goals seemingly forgotten and Torres and Veronin scoring at the moment, things arn't looking too good for our biggest player.
account deleted by request

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:23 pm

This is embarrasing.

Scapegoats, by their nature are exactly that, one person or group of people wrogly held responsible as the public figure of the failure of one or more people or persons.

People who sit by me at the game and moan at the same people time and again get right on my ti.ts.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:38 pm

I think S@int is spot on when he acknowledges that some fans need scapegoats

There are certain players that always get more stick than others. Some deservedly, like Gonzalez, Cisse, Nuñez, others not that much. But when they're gone there still seems be the need to find new scapegoats.

Crouch doesn't deserve to be one, that's for sure.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:49 pm

We all know Rafa will be the one people p*ss over if things go tits up.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:32 pm

You forgot one: Harry Kewell.  He's a perfect target because, since it's been so long since he's played, people have forgotten his game and he can be bigged up to mythic proportions.  Ergo, his absences can be blamed for all manner of team problems under the mysterious umbrella phrase of 'balance' (as in, "we've not had the same balance since Kewell got injured.") :D

On a serious note, I'd have to agree with Lando.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:33 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:This is embarrasing.

Scapegoats, by their nature are exactly that, one person or group of people wrogly held responsible as the public figure of the failure of one or more people or persons.

People who sit by me at the game and moan at the same people time and again get right on my ti.ts.

Sometimes its better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, rather than speak and confirm it. I think you may have done better staying quiet mate.  :D

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:38 pm

Bad Bob wrote:You forgot one: Harry Kewell.  He's a perfect target because, since it's been so long since he's played, people have forgotten his game and he can be bigged up to mythic proportions.  Ergo, his absences can be blamed for all manner of team problems under the mysterious umbrella phrase of 'balance' (as in, "we've not had the same balance since Kewell got injured.") :D

It was supposed to be a lighthearted p!sstake of some of the things players get called etc etc. If I had wanted it to be taken so seriously I would have just done a poll.

Sorry Bob but I just read this again and my reply sounds harsher than I meant it to. (Blame it on Leon ) :D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:49 pm

haha honestly Saint this made me laugh haha
u made it sound as if its something the players WANT TO win when u say things like ''blew their chances by scoring too frequently''!! pmsl.

:D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:06 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:We all know Rafa will be the one people p*ss over if things go tits up.

sadly, that is true.  If results went against Rafa it wouldn't be long until people would say he needs to go.....in fact, look on this forum.  There's been posts from people questioning his position at times.

Football is a fickle business and fans' are the worst of them all.  Part of the game.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:06 pm

s@int wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:You forgot one: Harry Kewell.  He's a perfect target because, since it's been so long since he's played, people have forgotten his game and he can be bigged up to mythic proportions.  Ergo, his absences can be blamed for all manner of team problems under the mysterious umbrella phrase of 'balance' (as in, "we've not had the same balance since Kewell got injured.") :D

It was supposed to be a lighthearted p!sstake of some of the things players get called etc etc. If I had wanted it to be taken so seriously I would have just done a poll.

Sorry Bob but I just read this again and my reply sounds harsher than I meant it to. (Blame it on Leon ) :D

I knew it was a p!ss-take, mate, and my Kewell response was in that spirit!  :;):
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JamCar05 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:36 pm

Ha ha, funny stuff this :laugh:  I think you are right about Riise especially - it really is time for him to score a screamer, or he'll soon be the frontrunner for this prestigious "award" (so I guess he needs to come back from injury pretty soon for his own sake...  unless he wants the damn thing :D)
JamCar05

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:01 pm

I make Rafa's beard the scapegoat. Or Scapgoatee.

Right, I'll get my coat.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:53 pm

i've already heard the tinkerman boll@cks

good post saint as people are becoming quicker on the blame and moaning road than ever before
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:10 pm

I'm fickle , I'll have a different scapegoat every week .  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:49 pm

My tip is Yossi Benayoun. I know it's very very early, but I'm not sure having seen him play on saturday that his transfer to us will work out. I almost did a "I know it's early" on him and the way he plays last night but didn't on the grounds that he was asked to play left-midfield against Portsmouth.

A couple of people have made the point, quite rightly, that there has been too much talk of team selection after Saturday and not enough about how the people who did actually play, warmed to the task. Well I thought Benayoun proved conclusively that he isn't capable of playing left-hand side of midfield, I thought he was awful TBH. Having said that, Pennant wasn''t much better down the right so perhaps he could have a go there next time. The former West Ham man will need to do much better than one snap-shot if he is to truly be the replacement for the little box of tricks that was Luis Garcia. Players that resemble the Spaniard in that they give the ball away a lot, but then don't actually create anything are players we can do without.

I'm off to work now and no doubt I'll get slaughtered as it's really really early. But there it is. I don't think Benayoun will make it at Anfield.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion