The scapegoats

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby heimdall » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:22 am

Sabre wrote:
dawson99 wrote:dun dun dun another thread bites the dust...

And has again your input.  :D And mine. It's our fault Dawson.

Let's dance all together now!

Let's all do the Maccarena.  :wwww
heimdall

Postby GYBS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:24 am

dawson99 wrote:Are you asking?

Come on, back to topic... yes, the so-called scapegoats have been playign well, but we have good players. Some need confidence, some need something else...

Juts good the unit as  awhole is playing well

Ill ask if your a good dancer or not  :D

Anyway will post this again as it got lost

Spot on Owzat .

On the last line i think the 1st 11 is pretty strong overall just on a few occasions ie when teams park the bus we need a bit more creativity hence why i think we should look for a clever player to try and help open up defences with skill and deft little passes - gerrard uses the power way and determination , xabi the long passes and torres with pace - just miss a little bit of cleverness - yossi brings it sometimes and is great as a squad player but think we just need one more person there in midfield . not a pure right winger or a pure left winger - someone like arshavin,silva,diego carzola- someone of that ilk. Plus a backup striker to add to what we have got - someone like carew ,sturridge etc and a right back to compete with Arbs - Johnson,Hutton etc - add those three players and i think that gives us a squad that can compete on all levels to the highest standard and would giv eus plenty of options .

My Squad for next season would be

GK- Pepe,Cavareli

RB-Arbs,Johnson/Hutton,Darby
CBs-Carra,Skittles,Agger,Sami
LB-Fabio,Insua,Dossena

DM-Xabi,Masher,Lucas,Spearing
LM-Reira,Babel (Plus Dossena)
RM-Kuyt,Yossi,

AM-Gerrard,Silva/Carzola(can also play RM or LM),Pacheco

ST/FW- Torres,Sturridge,Nemeth,Ngog (Plus Kuyt and Babel can play there )

I think that squad gives us great options and very good back up for a long season.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:25 am

Come on, back to topic... yes, the so-called scapegoats have been playign well, but we have good players. Some need confidence, some need something else...

dawson you need spellcheck badly  :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby heimdall » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:27 am

GYBS wrote:

Ill ask if your a good dancer or not  :D

Anyway will post this again as it got lost

Spot on Owzat .

On the last line i think the 1st 11 is pretty strong overall just on a few occasions ie when teams park the bus we need a bit more creativity hence why i think we should look for a clever player to try and help open up defences with skill and deft little passes - gerrard uses the power way and determination , xabi the long passes and torres with pace - just miss a little bit of cleverness - yossi brings it sometimes and is great as a squad player but think we just need one more person there in midfield . not a pure right winger or a pure left winger - someone like arshavin,silva,diego carzola- someone of that ilk. Plus a backup striker to add to what we have got - someone like carew ,sturridge etc and a right back to compete with Arbs - Johnson,Hutton etc - add those three players and i think that gives us a squad that can compete on all levels to the highest standard and would giv eus plenty of options .

My Squad for next season would be

GK- Pepe,Cavareli

RB-Arbs,Johnson/Hutton,Darby
CBs-Carra,Skittles,Agger,Sami
LB-Fabio,Insua,Dossena

DM-Xabi,Masher,Lucas,Spearing
LM-Reira,Babel (Plus Dossena)
RM-Kuyt,Yossi,

AM-Gerrard,Silva/Carzola(can also play RM or LM),Pacheco

ST/FW- Torres,Sturridge,Nemeth,Ngog (Plus Kuyt and Babel can play there )

I think that squad gives us great options and very good back up for a long season.

Didn't get lost, just ignored.  :D

You have a fair point though, the current squad is pretty damned good but we need better RB, LB and RM plus an extra striker/cam. If we sell some of the :censored: in our vast squad then we should be able to obtain the players we need and win the league comfortably next season although there is always the Rafa going nuts with selections and subs factor.
heimdall

Postby GYBS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:39 am

Do we really need a better LB when we have Fabio and Insua already plus dossena as back up ?

And as has already been shown we already have the second most productive Right Mid behind Ronaldo in the league ?

We have during plenty of summers made vast changes to our squad - isnt it now time to keep those changes to a minimum and just add a few players to bolster it ?

Yeah people like voronin,pennant etc can leave but replaced with better .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:43 am

GYBS wrote:Do we really need a better LB when we have Fabio and Insua already plus dossena as back up ?

And as has already been shown we already have the second most productive Right Mid behind Ronaldo in the league ?

We have during plenty of summers made vast changes to our squad - isnt it now time to keep those changes to a minimum and just add a few players to bolster it ?

Perhaps the first question is a wrong one.

I can see where you come from and I respect you value what our players provide.

But you have to ask yourself the following question, "How could we improve the team further next summer?"

Certainly I wouldn't look at the LB position with Aurelio and Insua.

But I'd look to the right wing and striker position, without that meaning that I don't appreciate Kuyt or Benayoun. I'd be talking about a big name, because it doesn't take just "anyone" to improve what our current reds provide.

And I agree your point about little rotation squad-wise, very few signings, but top quality.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:45 am

GYBS wrote:Do we really need a better LB when we have Fabio and Insua already plus dossena as back up ?

Sorry but our left and right backs are still not good enough imo compared to the chavs and Manure (well not at the moment maybe but you know what I mean). Aurelio looks alright, Insua is still raw with potential but Dossa! you are kidding right?

On the right we only really have Aurelio and he's quite good but not excellent.

The key area for me is RM or should I say RW. Kuyt is a decent squad player at best but we need more guile and speed on the right. Kuyt does get a fair few goals but just imagine how many someone like Ronaldo would be getting if he was surrounded by Stevie and Nando. For the second striker/cam position it might be worth trying Benayoun there, he's quick, likes to play central and has an excellent eye for goal.
heimdall

Postby heimdall » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:46 am

Sabre wrote:

Perhaps the first question is a wrong one.

I can see where you come from and I respect you value what our players provide.

But you have to ask yourself the following question, "How could we improve the team further next summer?"

Certainly I wouldn't look at the LB position with Aurelio and Insua.

But I'd look to the right wing and striker position, without that meaning that I don't appreciate Kuyt or Benayoun. I'd be talking about a big name, because it doesn't take just "anyone" to improve what our current reds provide.

And I agree your point about little rotation squad-wise, very few signings, but top quality.

Yes one or two top class signings is what's needed in the summer not 6-8 average players.
heimdall

Postby GYBS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:52 am

heimdall wrote:

Sorry but our left and right backs are still not good enough imo compared to the chavs and Manure (well not at the moment maybe but you know what I mean). Aurelio looks alright, Insua is still raw with potential but Dossa! you are kidding right?

The key area for me is RM or should I say RW. Kuyt is a decent squad player at best but we need more guile and speed on the right. Kuyt does get a fair few goals but just imagine how many someone like Ronaldo would be getting if he was surrounded by Stevie and Nando. For the second striker/cam position it might be worth trying Benayoun there, he's quick, likes to play central and has an excellent eye for goal.

So what happens to Insua if we bring another left back in ? Fabio this season has proved himself to be one of the best left backs in the league certainly better than cashley and equal to evra this season .

Yeah will agree we do need a new right back to compete with Arbs (not aurelio) who one again has been very good this season .

Why would we need a RW when our play really isnt set up for wing play - agree we need a bit more speed and guile but just for the right side , not someone who is just stuck out right ie lennon or swp - someone like carzorla or silva who can operate anywhere behind the striker . In the prem only ronaldo has been more productive than Kuyt and we wont get ronaldo - there is other players out there obviously who are excellent - ie ribery etc but we have to see if we can realistically get those .

For me One massive signing plus two decent ones

Massive - Creative clever pacy midfielder

Decent - Back up striker and right back to compete with Arbs
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:05 am

GYBS wrote:
heimdall wrote:

So what happens to Insua if we bring another left back in ? Fabio this season has proved himself to be one of the best left backs in the league certainly better than cashley and equal to evra this season .

Yeah will agree we do need a new right back to compete with Arbs (not aurelio) who one again has been very good this season .

Why would we need a RW when our play really isnt set up for wing play - agree we need a bit more speed and guile but just for the right side , not someone who is just stuck out right ie lennon or swp - someone like carzorla or silva who can operate anywhere behind the striker . In the prem only ronaldo has been more productive than Kuyt and we wont get ronaldo - there is other players out there obviously who are excellent - ie ribery etc but we have to see if we can realistically get those .

For me One massive signing plus two decent ones

Massive - Creative clever pacy midfielder

Decent - Back up striker and right back to compete with Arbs

Yes I meant Arbelola at RB  :blush:

Aurelio is good but come on he's not exactly equal to Evra or Ashley Cole. Aurelio is injured most of the bleeding time but when fit he is decent enough although not amazing.

Ok I maybe don't mean right wing in that sense but you said yourself that Kuyt can't dribble the ball past anybody and he offers very little flair and vision. He's a workhorse which is sometimes good but against a team which parks the bus in front of goal is no use at all. If we could get a player of Riera's aulity early season and last few matches on the right then I'd bemore than happy. As for back up striker role I'd love to get someone new in for that role but honestly believe a combination of Babel, with a kick up his :censored:, and Benayoun can do a very good job there.

We are not far off a very good XI but the squad is still a bit thin but this is where we need to be bringing through more youngsters.
heimdall

Postby GYBS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:15 am

Aurelio this season has played a lot more than normal and has been a lot more than good - this season he has been better than cashley and definatly equal to evra - prob been one of the best left backs in the league this season .

Yep agree kuyt game doesnt suit park your bus type hence why a more creative player in the midfield is what is needed but to supplement the squad .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:30 am

heimdall wrote:Aurelio is good but come on he's not exactly equal to Evra or Ashley Cole. Aurelio is injured most of the bleeding time but when fit he is decent enough although not amazing.

Disagree with you here Heimdall....

I must admit that I didn't use to think that he was anything more than decent. But This season, he's been able to put a run together and play himself into form and finally show us exactly what he's capable of of.

In our set-up, I would take him over an Ashley Cole or Patrice Evra type player all day. Of course there are better out there but Cole and Evra are over-rated. Having played in teams like Arsenal and Man Utd, a flash player such as these 2 will almost always take the headline..... but there are deficiencies to their games..... They aren't smart enuff to be anything other than 1 dimensional players. In big games, against big teams, they almost invariably always get found out. Against the weaker teams, they're great as they just blow by the opposing fullbacks. But when faced against teams that can out position them, they get lost. Same with Boswinga. Pace ain't everything...... it certainly helps... most especially against teams which lack quality..... but it's not the be all and end all.....

This season, our own Aurelio has finally shown why Rafa rates him so highly..... Heres hoping he stays fit.
ConnO'var

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:39 pm

:glare:
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion