Pick your top 5 for the job - Say who and why

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby big al » Sat May 29, 2004 1:07 am

give us your top 5 Managers who, why and what will they bring?
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby big al » Sat May 29, 2004 1:34 am

no takers yet so I'll start

1 O'Neill  passion, conviction, exceptional player, had he been english then all then would be managing England By now. vastly underestimated by too many.
Those that bleat about only two teams in Scotland nad think they know about football, then apply for the Ayr Job
2 Strachan  Still a lot to prove, Unbeleiveable commitment, knows so much about football, lives it and breathes it.
3 Eriksson Won three national championships in three different countries, loves Liverpool and has good links with multitude of players.  Dosent seem to stay too long in one place however.
4  Trappatoni, has won almost everything, will be leaving Italian national team after 2004 finals, top man.
5 Dalglish, He is liverpool, its in there in his blood, left because he was unable to cope with Heysel and Hillsbrough, the stress became overbearing althoughhe won't admit it.  could have been one of the greatest football managers of all time, can still be if came home.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat May 29, 2004 1:52 am

big al wrote:no takers yet so I'll start

1 O'Neill  passion, conviction, exceptional player, had he been english then all then would be managing England By now. vastly underestimated by too many.
Those that bleat about only two teams in Scotland nad think they know about football, then apply for the Ayr Job
2 Strachan  Still a lot to prove, Unbeleiveable commitment, knows so much about football, lives it and breathes it.
3 Eriksson Won three national championships in three different countries, loves Liverpool and has good links with multitude of players.  Dosent seem to stay too long in one place however.
4  Trappatoni, has won almost everything, will be leaving Italian national team after 2004 finals, top man.
5 Dalglish, He is liverpool, its in there in his blood, left because he was unable to cope with Heysel and Hillsbrough, the stress became overbearing althoughhe won't admit it.  could have been one of the greatest football managers of all time, can still be if came home.

Bloody Hell Al, I think you're going out on a bit of a limb there with Strachan, Trappatoni and Dalgliesh.

Strachan has done no more than "stabalise" the clubs he has been with . Trappatoni would not survive in the premiership, I can't really back that up but my gut says " He's just too f*cking italian" thats not meant as an insult but having observed the man over many years I don't think he would adjust to running a club in England.
As for Kenny ? He's been out of management for a long time and we shouldn't let our hearts rule our head. As a mgr Kenny didn't really build anything at LFC, he took over an already great side and kept it ticking. When the time for major surgery arrived he F*cked Off and lefty us in the sh*t with fk all warning. No disrespect to him because he is a True legend and I would prefer to leave it that way..
I haven't ofered my top five 'cause it's 2am and I can't even see straight, I'll get back to ya !
:)  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Sat May 29, 2004 2:04 am

woof woof ! wrote:I haven't ofered my top five 'cause it's 2am and I can't even see straight, I'll get back to ya !
:)  :)

Hehe I know the feelin  :p  :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Sat May 29, 2004 2:07 am

Woof Woof I appreciate the honesty.  But do get back to me
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Sat May 29, 2004 2:08 am

I havent got five either,but.....

1 O`Neill,the guy might as well have "legend" tatooed on his forehead because thats what he will become.I know people have reservations about him but they should just listen to the bloke,or better still listen to people who played for him.The guy is charismatic,a winner,ruthless,ambitious,intelligent.He`s got everything

2 Mourinho,this fella has won everything with an unfashionable team with very little money.The guy has class,speaks great english and you cant argue with his record.He also did something that only Wenger has managed.....get under Fergusons skin.

3 Cuper,why not? He built Valencia and got them to two successive CL finals.Benitez takes all the credit but Cuper handed him a world class team
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sat May 29, 2004 3:47 am

My top 5, in descending order:-

1. Benitez - Valencia's playing philosophy and attractive style of play. Brilliant tactician, second only perhaps to Mourinho, his achievements (repeated the league titles, not just once) at Valencia in spite of their financial position and in a tougher league than Portugal.

2. O'Neill - very intelligent, able to extract the maximum from what he has available and has been gaining experience and making good progress in Europe every year. Very passionate and a supreme motivator. Also as a Brit, he would not need much adjustments in the Premiership.

3.  Maurinho - supreme tactician, successfully adjusting his playing presonnel to counter the oposition's strenghts in the Champions' League. Indications are that he is also a very good motivator and man manager. The only thing is that Porto players are a bunch of cheats, although can't 100% be his fault, the fact that it has been going on for some time, must somehow condone this, which contredicts Liverpool's image and philosophy.

4.  Ottmar Hitzfeld - What else can you say about a man who won league titles and the Champions' League with 2 different clubs? Perhaps warrants a higher ranking but has been overshadowed by Bayern's underachievements this season.

5.  Fabio Capello - has won league titles with different teams in different leagues. A firm believer of the 442 system and the pressing game. No longer available as he has just been appointed bu Juve.

A common thing with all of the above 5 are that they are reputedly disciplinarians, rather strong willed yet get the full support of their players more often than not. Perhaps Cuper deserves a special mention but he is way too defensive oriented.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Badmao1 » Sat May 29, 2004 8:03 am

1: Martin O'Neill - Born winner, british grit and deterimation, great track record at home and abroad, fully understands the English premier league, very well organized teams and always give 100%. Also an added qualitly for me is the way he is so animated on the touchline, which shows how much he cares and can have a knock on effect upon players.

2: Benitez - Been very successful in the hardest league in Europe, his teams play an attacking pressing game, would bring with him a wealth of knowledge of players in the Spanish league and also has great record in European competition.

3: Claudio Ranieri - Has put together a team pre Chelski that is still the main part of Chelsea, had progressive success over his time in England, would have added inscentive to prove himself if he was sacked/removed from Chelsea.

4: Lippi - Surely one of Europes top managers, great record of success, would have been right at top of list but he does move round clubs too much for my liking.

5: O'Leary - Nobody has mentioned this guy but i'm a big fan, to me he has worked wonders with Asto Villa and did a good job at Leeds. I wouldn't want him in charge of Liverpool for a couple more years but is one for the future.
Badmao1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat May 29, 2004 11:41 am

A bit of a reverse auction scenario here, but fro mthe ones you guys have mentioned, my reasons for not getting them in.

MON - I dont want to play three centre backs and lump it forward to a target man. Dont get me wrong, if it could win the title in England I would be all for it, but it worked in Scotland cus its a ****** league. Three centre halves is doomed to failure cus you need a sweeper type to play in the middle of a good left and right footer. Sweepers have died out since Sammer of Germany, and football has changed so much that you now need the centre halves to play as well as defend.

CAPELLO - he is the highest paid manager in football, along with Erikson and I dont beleive it is the Liverpool way to have such a high profile man at the helm. Managers should be unassuming and down to earth, able to deal with premadonna footballers, not be one. He has won European Cups, however for me he is a no.

RANIERI - the term tinker man was invented for him, and he does it too much. The old adage that you dont change awinning team is lost on this guy. I applaund his honesty in interviews, and feel sorry for his treatment at the hands of the Russian Mafia, bit Liverpool will not appoint a manger out of pity.

HITZFELD - age I beleive has caught up with this guy. His methods are dated, and his failure to do anything with Bayern in the last four years is due to this. We need a young manager, capable of seeing us throught 7-10 years, someone in their fourties not sixties.

This for me leaves two, Murhino and Benitez. Of the two I would plum for Benitez, he has managed to win the Spanish league in the face of oposition fomr Barca, Deportivo, Real and the likes. Murhino, whilst looking good has two flaws.

1) He is an eccentric. Read the stories of ripping shirts and slapping players and he makes me think the stability required from the gaffer would always be on the line.

2) Pedigree, whilst he has worked under Robson and Van Gaal, he has won the Portugese league, where you only need to beat Benfica and Sporting Lisbon twice a season to clinch the title.

For me the best option is Benitez, and I pray to god Parry is on Holiday in Valencia tieing up the deal as we speak.

He even looks like a scouser.Image
Last edited by Leonmc0708 on Sat May 29, 2004 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat May 29, 2004 1:23 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:2) Pedigree, whilst he has worked under Robson and Van Gaal, he has won the Portugese league, where you only need to beat Benfica and Sporting Lisbon twice a season to clinch the title.

For me the best option is Benitez, and I pray to god Parry is on Holiday in Valencia tieing up the deal as we speak.

He even looks like a scouser.Image

Mourinho won the hardest league of all with hardly any resources.

The fact that he has won the Champions League at the age of 41 with Porto speaks volumes.

I think he is the greatest managerial prodigy European football has seen in a generation.

Whether he can win the league in England is another thing but the guy has no questions to answer as far as European competition goes.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat May 29, 2004 4:12 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:The fact that he has won the Champions League at the age of 41 with Porto speaks volumes.

I think he is the greatest managerial prodigy European football has seen in a generation.

Whether he can win the league in England is another thing but the guy has no questions to answer as far as European competition goes.

Are we talkin about the same Murhinho ?

The portugese league is the hardest of them all. HA HA HA.

Name me seven other clubs apart from Porto, Lisbon, Boavista and Benfica in that league. Dont go checking on Google either.

Didnt think so.

He won the Champiopns League in the year Madrid had their worst season since they were founded, Munich sacked their manager due to poor form, Milan played a game I could only describe as fixed and Monaco where the second team in the final. That speaks volumes for the quality of the competition this year.

I'm not saying its not an acheivement, simply it wasnt the best tournament this century.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat May 29, 2004 4:23 pm

1. benitez
2. hitzfeld
3. o'neill
4. lippi
5. curbishley
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby greenred » Sat May 29, 2004 8:47 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:He won the Champiopns League in the year Madrid had their worst season since they were founded, Munich sacked their manager due to poor form, Milan played a game I could only describe as fixed and Monaco where the second team in the final. That speaks volumes for the quality of the competition this year.

I'm not saying its not an acheivement, simply it wasnt the best tournament this century.

I think your wrong about Madrid.They had some very lean years in the seventies.No team has a right to permanent CL success,not even Madrid.Milan and Bayern got knocked out by better teams so I dont understand your point about this being a poor year.Is the CL only valid if the rich clubs get to the final? I personally was delighted to see Porto knock out Utd and Monaco beating Milan.Stuff the big boys,they think they own the CL and Mourinho proved them wrong.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Supermarius » Sat May 29, 2004 10:11 pm

I agree Greenred. However..
My 5 are
1- Oneill. ---I still think Premiership experience means a lot .
2-Benitez--- reasons stated by fellow posters lol
3-Hitzfield --- as above
4-Mourinho--- remarkable achievement at his age but if he is that good..its only a matter of time before madrid or milan make him an offer he cant refuse
5-Terry Venables ---yes i know about his Leeds fiasco but i still think he could do a job .Its a matter of opinion and i wouldnt be unhappy if El Tel got the job lol
Q: You're trapped in a room with a tiger, a rattlesnake, and a Manchester United Fan. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do?

A: Shoot the United Fan. Twice.
Supermarius

Postby BOODIDDY » Sun May 30, 2004 12:02 am

O'neill  is a legend in waiting for LFC. He wont come though no matter what. Moores and Parry still want a say on how the club is run. Thats ok for the finances of wages and the business side, but the footballing side should be left to a manager and his coaches. O'neill is a very intelligent man and doesn't take fools easy. He learnt under the great Clough (I Know Forest).

I cant help feeling that Benitez is just flavour of the month, its a great achievment he has done with Valencia, considering their financial status. But, i believe that it was Cuper who started this Valencia generation.

The board will  take Benitez, but our problem is that we need a manager who understands the prem and british mentality, O'neill does, Benitez doesnt. So MON for me but i know it aint happening.

But my Celtic friends at work are all sweating anyhow, so who knows?
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion