New Manager - Who would you have? (merged thread)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:37 am

I think this has been done a few years ago but may as well make a fresh one as this topic will no doubt be more talked about if the results keep going the way they are.

Going by recent comments there will be 'significant invstment' within the next 6 months so any potentially new manager may well have a sizable kitty come the summer. Who would be your man?

Would we get Kenny to step up? As much as I would love to see us lift silwerware with him at the helm he has been out of football for a while so would that be a step too far?

I think the one person most will say they wouldn't mind is Mourinho or Hiddink but it really does come to what the finances are going to be like come the summer, especially if the invevitable happens and we finish outside the top 4.

Are there any others?

btw I still fully back Rafa 110%.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:42 am

My heart says King Kenny but I would hate for his legend to be tarnished by the mess he'd have to clean up should Rafa goes. Without a sizeable transfer kitty, I doubt that the Hiddinks and Mourinhos of this world would want the job. Having said that, I don't belief that the state of the club is as bad as made out by the press and some fans in terms of personnel.

We just need to set-up the team to our strengths..... something that I believe, Hiddink is particularly strong at. But I don't think that it's a realistic option..... So while my 1st choice is the Dutchman, I believe an Irishman is the more viable option. Martin O'Neil.
ConnO'var

Postby lakes10 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:44 am

Mourinho is the only person i can think of that is fit for the job but i dont like the guy but if he was to be our manager i am sure he will grow on me.
if hew took the job right now i am sure the resluts would be better.

as for what he will do once he is here, well he would be looking to spend around 45-50 mil in the summer window.

one fear the fan must get over about Rafa going is that its going to coist us loads, it will not, the results are poor so its only a small goodbye, oh and if Rafa is sacked they will not be loads of top players going with him, in fact if Mourinho took over they will be begging to stay.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:44 am

Yeah O'Niel would be a decent choice but has he ever managed a club as big as Liverpool? As good as I think he is we need someone proven. Problem is all the proven ones are continental managers.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:46 am

bavlondon wrote:Yeah O'Niel would be a decent choice but has he ever managed a club as big as Liverpool? As good as I think he is we need someone proven. Problem is all the proven ones are continental managers.

You need to remember Bav, that until he came to Liverpool, I don't think Rafa managed any "big" teams..... unless you count Valencia as a "big" team which for me, would not be entirely accurate.
ConnO'var

Postby tubby » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:47 am

lakes10 wrote:Mourinho is the only person i can think of that is fit for the job but i dont like the guy but if he was to be our manager i am sure he will grow on me.
if hew took the job right now i am sure the resluts would be better.

as for what he will do once he is here, well he would be looking to spend around 45-50 mil in the summer window.

one fear the fan must get over about Rafa going is that its going to coist us loads, it will not, the results are poor so its only a small goodbye, oh and if Rafa is sacked they will not be loads of top players going with him, in fact if Mourinho took over they will be begging to stay.

I don't know the details of the loopholes so I will take your word for it but whoever would come in would have to have some level of pedegree. I can't help but think if someone like MON took over we may see 1 or 2 of our foreign star players leave.

Then again if rumors are to be believed a fair few of them are fed up with Rafa anyway...but that's not for this topic.  :D

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:48 am

ConnO'var wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Yeah O'Niel would be a decent choice but has he ever managed a club as big as Liverpool? As good as I think he is we need someone proven. Problem is all the proven ones are continental managers.

You need to remember Bav, that until he came to Liverpool, I don't think Rafa managed any "big" teams..... unless you count Valencia as a "big" team which for me, would not be entirely accurate.

Your right it wasn't. But breaking the dominance of Real/Barca not one but 2 seasons I think was definatley the deciding factor.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:19 am

bavlondon wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:

Your right it wasn't. But breaking the dominance of Real/Barca not one but 2 seasons I think was definatley the deciding factor.

You're absolutely right. It took a lot to break that stranglehold and by no means am I belittling Rafa's achievement in doing so.

All I'm saying is that there is plenty of precedent in an inexperienced manager (in terms of managing a big club) has done extremely well..... you don't have to look far... look in our own annals and you'll find the name of one Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish who's done it...... twice..... at 2 different clubs..... to say the least...  :D
ConnO'var

Postby Ciggy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:30 am

Dazzer wants Steve Bruce or Roy Hodgeson  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:35 am

any of the following

hiddink
moureeenio
o neil
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:39 am

Rafa should be left alone and lets see where we are at the end of the season. if we decide at that point to shake hands and call it a day, there can be only one candidate for the job. You don't want someone who comes in with five year plans, six year plans and the like because we've had all of that. You don't want someone who is only capable of winning titles at clubs who've got loads of money because he's not going to get that at Liverpool. You want someone who has a history of winning trophies, of having an instant impact, of gelling teams together and motivating people to run through brick walls for him. You want someone who has shown he can win both in Europe and at Home on a limited budget, but who can also manage big name and big time players. You want someone who if we got him, The players would be texting each other and saying "fecking hell!!!!! You'll never guess who we've got :buttrock ".

The list should have only one name on it. I think he'd come, if we need a manager lets cut the bullsh!t and go get him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:02 pm

YES i can see Stevie texting Carra now Mick , what do yeh think of the new LIPPI, Jamie lad :;):
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:12 pm

bigmick wrote:Rafa should be left alone and lets see where we are at the end of the season. if we decide at that point to shake hands and call it a day, there can be only one candidate for the job. You don't want someone who comes in with five year plans, six year plans and the like because we've had all of that. You don't want someone who is only capable of winning titles at clubs who've got loads of money because he's not going to get that at Liverpool. You want someone who has a history of winning trophies, of having an instant impact, of gelling teams together and motivating people to run through brick walls for him. You want someone who has shown he can win both in Europe and at Home on a limited budget, but who can also manage big name and big time players. You want someone who if we got him, The players would be texting each other and saying "fecking hell!!!!! You'll never guess who we've got :buttrock ".

The list should have only one name on it. I think he'd come, if we need a manager lets cut the bullsh!t and go get him.

Thre is only ONE man who meets your criteria

“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:10 pm

John Barnes is free
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Madmax » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:28 pm

Mourinho, hidink, rijkaard or king kenny! Wouldn't mind have alan hansen with staff aswel would do good for the defenders.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion