New Manager - Who would you have? (merged thread)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:38 pm

Some interesting bits here:

Hodgson is a manager who spends his days honing, organising and coaching on the training pitch. He was - briefly, from 1972-73 at Alleyn's School in south-west London - a PE teacher, after all.

'Of course it's nice for people to believe some managers are born with a magical quality that will transform bad into good, but I don't,' he says. 'It's about leadership skills, practice, repetition and bloody hard work.'

Repetition is the cornerstone of Hodgson's success. There were grumblings from within Fabio Capello's World Cup squad that the Italian didn't spend enough time on 'pattern of play' drills, but Hodgson's Fulham did this every day. Fellow coaches and managers, such as Steve Coppell and Glenn Roeder, often attended sessions to watch the 62-year-old in action.

'Every day in training is geared towards team shape on the match day coming up,' said midfielder Simon Davies. 'Every day is team shape and it shows.
'He gets the 11 that he wants on a match day and he drills everything in that he wants. There are no diagrams. It's all on the pitch with the ball, nothing unopposed.'

Hodgson has described his approach as 'player-orientated'. Words 'spill out left, right and centre' from a man who speaks five languages. His players know exactly what he expects and how they can be successful in their ascribed roles. They also know who's playing more than two hours before kick-off.

After failing to make the grade at Crystal Palace and playing non- League football, Hodgson gained his full coaching badge aged just 23. He followed the likes of Don Howe, Sir Bobby Robson and Terry Venables - tracksuited English coaches who relished their 'time on the grass', as Robson called it.

With Hodgson it was 11 versus 11 every day, the manager stopping play to make a tactical or technical point, or to tell a player they weren't in the right position at the right time. Hodgson was at the heart of everything, in his shorts with his socks pulled up to his knees.

Zoltan Gera said: 'We do the same thing in every session and sometimes it gets boring but we know it's working so I'm happy to do it. Put it this way, when I wake up in the middle of the night I know what I need to do in the game, I know everything about how we play.'

Fulham players could have slotted back into position in their sleep last season but, for all Hodgson's emphasis on repetition, he is not a man resistant to change. Quite the opposite, in fact. It is part of the reason the League Managers' Association's manager of the year has rarely been out of work during a 33-year coaching career.

At Fulham he introduced a basketball defensive system, called a 'zonal trap', where his team moved as a unit when protecting their goal. When he joined Inter Milan in 1995 he asked Italian World Cup winner Giuseppe Bergomi, who had always marked man-to-man, to mark zonally. The team switched from a libero system to a back four and Hodgson asked Bergomi to play at right back.

After taking over at Hamstad in 1976, his first management role, Hodgson and his great friend Bob Houghton revolutionised Swedish football. They abandoned man-to-man marking all over the field in favour of a zonal approach. It is no wonder Hodgson tends to bristle at the suggestion he is an old-fashioned manager.

Whether he finds himself rebuilding a Liverpool side bereft of confidence and star quality or trying to lift a badly wounded England team, Hodgson will need to draw heavily on those decades of experience.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport....newsxml
LFC2007

Postby Reg » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:41 am

By the fact that Woy got the job I guess we better keep this thread open...........
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:22 am

Maickito wrote:11 years of foreign management  plenty of things to cheer about but no league title was delivered.

Roy Hodgeson isn't my first choice but I hope he surprises a few people. He has prob never spent 20 million on a player so it doesn't really matter if we are broke! I think we don't need 5 new players I just think we need a manger that doesnt persist with :censored: like lucas; ngog; babel or play players out of position or  change players like a woman changes clothes.

exactly! he has experience working with a tight budget.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:48 am

bunglemark2 wrote:
Dundalk wrote:Everyone needs to get behind Roy and see how it goes

I'd get behind Woy.....only if I was licensed to kick him the fook out of Anfield.
Don't want him, not in a million years.
I said before on here that I wanted Deschamps, but that's not gonna happen...
This Dutch manager seems to be the first guy to manage a team that traditionally implodes into a unified group pulling in the same direction. But that's not gonna happen either...

So, we end up with Woy...

Well done Purslow and all the other fookwhits in charge...

I'm gonna print this bit out and if Roy has success and turns this club around within the next 2 seasons I expect you to retract this statement and get yersen fuk'd off.

people like you pull this club down

do one
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:52 am

Lee J wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:
Dundalk wrote:Everyone needs to get behind Roy and see how it goes

I'd get behind Woy.....only if I was licensed to kick him the fook out of Anfield.
Don't want him, not in a million years.
I said before on here that I wanted Deschamps, but that's not gonna happen...
This Dutch manager seems to be the first guy to manage a team that traditionally implodes into a unified group pulling in the same direction. But that's not gonna happen either...

So, we end up with Woy...

Well done Purslow and all the other fookwhits in charge...

I'm gonna print this bit out and if Roy has success and turns this club around within the next 2 seasons I expect you to retract this statement and get yersen fuk'd off.

people like you pull this club down

do one

Why? Hes entitled to his opinion as much as you are.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:54 am

you can shut up to gobsh!te.

your as bad as each other with ya disripectful jibba jabba.
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:00 am

Lee J wrote:you can shut up to gobsh!te.

your as bad as each other with ya disripectful jibba jabba.

Ohhh there you go again with your pathetic insults tart & gobsh!te is that all youve got?

This was a free country last time I checked, we are entitled to our opinions just as much as anyone else.

We are not happy with the arrival of Hodgson and we have the right to say so.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:06 am

fair enough. not stopping ya. just cant believe you have so much passion for this club but you are so quick to right off our new manager and even tell him to fuk off before he's parked in the club car park.
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:11 am

I think that he is just what we need at this time.

He can talk to every player in their own language, doesn't get involved in stupid mind games and I
can't think of one player he's fallen out with.

Always seems to have a "PLAN B" and gets the best out of the players he's got.

FFS just give him a chance !
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:16 am

JohnBull wrote:I think that he is just what we need at this time.

He can talk to every player in their own language, doesn't get involved in stupid mind games and I
can't think of one player he's fallen out with.

Always seems to have a "PLAN B" and gets the best out of the players he's got.

FFS just give him a chance !

yep If he can get the team playing with confidence again soon that'll be 50% of the battle won already. Our team is good but needs some consitancey (is that how you spell it?) the lads need to know their positions on the pitch and their roles in the team and Roy will sort that out straight away. No more Gerrard on the left, Masch at Right back etc. lets take torres off when we need a goal cos we've got a game in europe in 3 weeks and we need to rest him - yawn.
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dundreamin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:00 am

can people stop slagging each other off, it's time to stick together. If you wana kick off, aim it at the couple of gobs.hites that got us into this mess. Things are bad enough  so a civil war aint going to help. As for RH am going to reserve judgement until the season starts
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby Dundalk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:10 am

I can understand everyones frustrations at the moment but can we just give the guy a chance, some people on here are acting like spoilt kids
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:51 am

This thread seems redundant now.  All discussion carried over to the new Hodgson thread.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion