Best and worst buys manager by manager

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:16 am

I have an old paisley autobiography written in 1984 which I enjoy picking up every now and then, he waxes lyrical about Ray Kennedy and how much he was underappreciated in this country.  He rates Dalglish as the best signing he did, he also goes on about the profit the club were in of about 50-100,000 which he was well chuffed with. :D

Personally I love reading Paisley discussing the Liverpool way of doing things where he had an open door policy to visitors who watched them train and who were then convinced he was hiding things when they saw the players playing five a side for a few hours, Paisley reckons that was how they trained, with a ball at their feet. 

Paisley also went on about getting good players and playing a system around them and which suited them, going back to Ray Kennedy, he found his strengths and used them to his advantage
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Good Bob » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:27 am

taff wrote:Paisley also went on about getting good players and playing a system around them and which suited them, going back to Ray Kennedy, he found his strengths and used them to his advantage.

The amount of times I've been slated and been called clueless for daring to suggest this is what managers do and this makes certain players appear better or worse than they actually are. Oh look, the best manager in English footballing history said it...

I remember a recent arguement I had about Fowler not playing in the right system at City. Systems don't matter and don't make a player I was told...

Again with Carragher I mentioned this, also with Baros.

Well I have to say, I agree with Bob Paisley. :)
Good Bob

Postby Kano » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:02 am

Good Bob wrote:
taff wrote:Paisley also went on about getting good players and playing a system around them and which suited them, going back to Ray Kennedy, he found his strengths and used them to his advantage.

The amount of times I've been slated and been called clueless for daring to suggest this is what managers do and this makes certain players appear better or worse than they actually are. Oh look, the best manager in English footballing history said it...

I remember a recent arguement I had about Fowler not playing in the right system at City. Systems don't matter and don't make a player I was told...

So do i
Kano

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:13 am

Two bad buys off the top of me head

Torban picnic
Kvarme (cant remember his first name)

Absolutley shocking players, there are more but they spring to mind, Phill Babb theres another one :laugh:
66-1112520797

Postby taff » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:39 am

Good Bob wrote:

:D

What makes me laugh is the simplicity the likes of Paisley stuck to.  But what comes through in his book is his knowledge of human behaviour as well.  He knew what players to cuddle and which ones to kick.

Going back to the Houllier/Benitez debate, its Benitez who looks to have the greater skill in that department, and he looks to have the more ruthless streak which is most definitely needed.

IMO Ferguson had this touch but it looks like his ego and personality have overtaken the natural talent he had in this area.

Therefore when we discuss bad buys etc it has to be combined with a level of bad man management
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:39 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Two bad buys off the top of me head

Torban picnic
Kvarme (cant remember his first name)

Absolutley shocking players, there are more but they spring to mind, Phill Babb theres another one :laugh:

Bjorn Tore Kvarme. His name translated to "Tommy Smith".

That was where the similarity ended.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Crouchamania » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:10 pm

A lot of people defended Dioufs appaling goalscoring record by saying that he played mostly on the wing but then so did John Barnes, Riise, Murphy and Garcia and look at their records
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Postby david wayne » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:02 pm

All managers make bad signings Kenny signed Carter, Evans Picnic, Souness Kozma, but the critical factor is whether the squad is improving and under Rafa i get the impression that the guys he gets rid of are always spot on, can anyone disagree with any players he wants to sell or release. He knows who needs to go and its a matter of time before 1-11 is pure quality and of the right age.
david wayne

Postby drummerphil » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:26 pm

The fact he has let Nando go,Cisse to follow and give Robbie a new contract says it all to me.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:21 pm

drummerphil wrote:The fact he has let Nando go,Cisse to follow and give Robbie a new contract says it all to me.

Yes spot on Phil. The good thing about Rafa is that he is not afrad to admit he is wrong and ships them off as quick as they came in.

I did think though that admitting Morro was a bad buy and letting him go would be too much pride for Rafa to swallow but credit has to be given to him.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:09 am

thought I'd bring another old thread back to life (i'm bored and the current ones are going nowhere...dawson hasn't left the top100 thread for about 12 hours :D ) I also see things haven't changed much. Judge still joking rather than constructive posts, stu arguing and a thread being turned into a slanging match.

I'm guessing most would have Torres down as Benitez' best buy right now. For me thought it's still Agger.
His worst buy has to be Morientes.

Houllier...best...Hyypia...worst...Cheyrou (the next Zidane)

Evans...best...Berger...worst...Kvarme/Babb/Scales (can't choose between the three).

Souness...best...Mark Wright (no question)...worst...Saunders.

Dalglish...best...Aldridge...worst...Rosenthal

Fagan...best...Wark...worst...Paul Walsh

Paisley...best...Rush (no question)...worst...Sheedy

Shankly...best...Heighway (for free)...worst...Chisnall.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Rush Job » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:39 am

Jesus mate theres so many to choose from with Souness and you go for Saunders?? Dont get that, and we got the money back.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:00 pm

i just never liked saunders, I know it could of been 1 of about 20, but there was a lot of hype surrounding Saunders and he was meant to be the replacement for an ageing Rush. It really is just from a personal point of view that I didn't like Saunders.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby SundanceKid » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:54 pm

I never did like that Mark Gonzales. I would throw up Milan Baros for missing so many :censored: opportunities. If he actually just went for the goal every time rather than try to make a superb finish, he'd probably have double his goal count.

Torres is a given, as well as Agger. I do consider Pennant a very valuable player too. But I always did admire Dirk Kuyt. He isn't the quickest striker there is, but I don't think anyone   on the Liverpool squad is more determined than him.
Last edited by SundanceKid on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby destro » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:25 pm

:laugh: Rosenthal, hit the bar from 10 yards out with an open net, none of these modern fancy dan players could do that :D

Priceless !!
destro

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion