Sissoko joins Juventus in 8.2 million deal - Momo's a Go-go (merged thread)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:58 pm

Owzat wrote:He was/is the type of player I hate, can do one thing and maybe two but generally serves one purpose when there are plenty out there can do his job and more. To make a profit is good business, just a shame it's come so late and with time running out there may not be much more activity. If we could sign a good striker to partner Torres then we might have a good run and maybe a CL win, not that I believe that would be an entirely positive thing (deflecting from the task in hand ie winning the title)

If we win every league game from now until the end of the season we'd have 88 points and a shot at the title, with the top three to play away and Rafa never picking up a point at any of the three then that's unlikely. We're realistically looking at maybe an FA Cup win, Champions League campaign and a fight for fourth. We go out and buy Torres yet we're struggling to win enough games to put the wannabes in their place. For all the positives in Rafa's reign, how many Liverpool managers have finished beneath everton twice?

Bill Shankly for a start.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Zi-Dan Agger » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:07 pm

redtrader74 wrote:
Owzat wrote:He was/is the type of player I hate, can do one thing and maybe two but generally serves one purpose when there are plenty out there can do his job and more. To make a profit is good business, just a shame it's come so late and with time running out there may not be much more activity. If we could sign a good striker to partner Torres then we might have a good run and maybe a CL win, not that I believe that would be an entirely positive thing (deflecting from the task in hand ie winning the title)

If we win every league game from now until the end of the season we'd have 88 points and a shot at the title, with the top three to play away and Rafa never picking up a point at any of the three then that's unlikely. We're realistically looking at maybe an FA Cup win, Champions League campaign and a fight for fourth. We go out and buy Torres yet we're struggling to win enough games to put the wannabes in their place. For all the positives in Rafa's reign, how many Liverpool managers have finished beneath everton twice?

Bill Shankly for a start.

:laugh:
Zi-Dan Agger

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:40 pm

JoeTerp wrote:now this 17 mill number that we all associate with Mascherano, I have heard that this is to include his wages over the life of his contract, well how much are his wages going to be and over how many years? basically what I want to know is what we would have to pay his agent to make him permanently ours? certainly its a number far less than 17 mil, a number that this sissoko dealing could significantly help I hope

I'm not sure this is the case Joe - I wish it was, but it wouldn't make mathematical sense. Obviously contacts vary so much from 3 to 5 years and 40-100k per week for a top international, but  If we say Masherano would earn £50k a week over 4 years, this equates to £10.5million - meaning we would only pay £6.5m for mash, which is far too cheap. - I know we've got some sort of agreement having loaned him for 18months, but I still think the £17mil would be a stand alone fee not including wages.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:42 pm

loooool carragher could do mascheranos job hahahahahahahahahahaha

thank god u aint the manager looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby LittleHobo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:01 pm

RedBlood wrote:loooool carragher could do mascheranos job hahahahahahahahahahaha

i believe he could

mascherano is a gritty stopper, who plays it simple

carragher is the same kinda player, similar pace, similar passing ability

seriously guys mascherano at 18 million will be a mistake, we will regret it

especially if its 18 million that could be used to buy a top class winger
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:01 pm

RedBlood wrote:loooool carragher could do mascheranos job hahahahahahahahahahaha

I know, it raised my eyebrow a little too, that statement. Complete tripe. I doubt some people have even kicked a ball never mind played on a pitch.

By the way, the Momo deal is 8m + another 1.5 I think after a set amount of games. We'll be paid the handsome sum of almost 10m for him, which is good business. Now Rafa should go and spend that on Aimar.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:19 pm

i like mascherano dont get me wrong

hes a good player in the gattuso dogs of war kinda role

i just think 18 million is to much for a tough tackling defensive mid when we need attackers more than defenders
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:43 pm

Carragher do Masherano's job? Don't be daft.

On the question of Sissoko, I'm with those who have a slightly uneasy feeling about the deal, although I do accept in the current situation he wasn't going to get enough game time. I do think however he is much much better than some give him credit for, and wouldn't be at all surprised if we run into Juventus in the Champions League next season (providing of course that we qualify for the competition) and we are all marvelling at how good he is for them, and wondering why he didn't play like that for us. The reason will be confidence as he's a confidence player in my opinion.

The fella who made the point that the best team we've had since Rafa was maanger was the one with Sissoko and Alonso centrally with Gerrard on the right is bang on the money as well.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:48 pm

Carraguer could do Mascherano's job, the problem is that with a third or a fourth of Mascha's quality. Could be an option if everyone else is injured. Carraguer was the inmediate option yesteryear when we hadn't a defensive midfielder, but obviously Mascherano is light years better in the position.

Mascherano's passes seem simple, but spotting the right simple pass is not easy.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:27 pm

LittleHobo wrote:i like mascherano dont get me wrong

hes a good player in the gattuso dogs of war kinda role

i just think 18 million is to much for a tough tackling defensive mid when we need attackers more than defenders

I totally agree with you that he is like Gattuso.  He's a great player but he's too defensive, we lack creativity when he plays along side Gerrard.  There is just not enough movement of the ball with those two in midfield.  If he stays he's got to improve his distribution skills or Gerrard should be moved out to the right.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:36 pm

By the way does anybody else think that Alonso might be next to go.    I'd really hate to see him go, but since we are going to be short on funds, it would seem like now would an ideal time to make a profit off him.  And I think that Lucas can step in for Alonso next season if it comes to this.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:38 pm

Sissoko's passing was sloppy. Far too many balls given away needlessly.

8.2M is a superb price.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:43 pm

i say ditch the mascherano 18 million thing and go for aimar or van der vaat

we lack a player of that guile and creativity more than we lack a defensive midfielder like mascherano

i actually think we look poor when mascherano is in a midfield 2....he would be good in a midfield 3 (like how argentina play) but in a midfield 2 he is too limited
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:45 pm

LittleHobo wrote:i say ditch the mascherano 18 million thing and go for aimar or van der vaat

we lack a player of that guile and creativity more than we lack a defensive midfielder like mascherano

If we were looking to sign him from another team, then I'd agree.

But the fact is he's been here for a year now, and is part of the reason why we only need attacking players.

Had we not had him, we'd have been well and truly f*cked when Alonso was out injured.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:56 pm

question then.

we have 20 million to spend right now

would you sign mascherano for 18 million or a creative genius type like aimar or van der vaat?

i believe a creative midfielder with guile is the only way we move forward as a team

in a perfect world we sign them all but i think the americans aint that generous
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion