LIVERPOOL vs WIGAN: 02/01/08 - Build up and Match Discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby NJD83 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:21 pm

Have a bad feeling about this one, Kirkland to have a blinder in another 0-0.

Lets hope not, also not sure we can afford to rest both Torres and Gerrard, would like to see Babel up front and running at Bramble.
NJD83

Postby holylamb2006 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:29 pm

anyone know wat time this match is on at ??
holylamb2006

Postby Rockthekop » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:32 pm

Torres, Babel & the three amigos

It's all very well resting players if you have strength in depth.  We don't have that, particularly up front.  If you leave out Torres, where does the threat come from?  Babel is a threat without doubt.  He has bags of pace, strength and has a lethal shot.  Where does Rafa play him?  Stuck on the wing!  Strikers are supposed to score goals or at the very least threaten to, neither Kuyt, Crouch or Voronin offer any sort of threat...its pathetic!  Rafa has to play Babel up front and buy some proper strikers.
Last edited by Rockthekop on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockthekop

Postby NJD83 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:35 pm

I might be on my own on this but i feel that SHOULD be a sub tonigt, I think that so many games over xmas has been a bit much for him, put him on at 60 mins and he might be sharp again. in the last two game he has only had 20 mins of good footbal (when he got the goal). Since then he has looked a bit down.

Agree with that looked a little bit down and tired in the last 30mins of the city game. He did get a few digs from Dunne and Richards that day and may well need a night off but the question is can we trust our other strikers to get us the goals we need tonight??
NJD83

Postby Bammo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:35 pm

holylamb2006 wrote:anyone know wat time this match is on at ??

8pm kick off

Streams should be on www.myp2p.eu
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:41 pm

not sure what the injury situation is at the back but assuming the worst, and interpreting the fact that Gerrard and Torres' bad games against city were do to pushing them too hard I would play:
                                   Reina
   Finnan           Arbeloa              Carra            Aurelio
  Yossi               Lucas              Alonso             Kewell
                                                    Babel
                                    Crouch
Subs: Itandje, Riise, Mascherano, Leto, Torres
JoeTerp

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:46 pm

Liverpool playing at home isn't on TV.

But Sky are showing the exciting clash between Bolton and Derby in front of a sell-out crowd of 6
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:47 pm

Not even going to try and predict the team.  All in all, we should be good enough to beat these, if not we've got no right to call ourselves championship contenders.  I'm a bit of a frustrated fan at the minute.

Anyway, Lower Centenary tonight.  Good view of the match.  Hoping that we come away with the three points with a more than comfortable win.
jonnymac1979

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:49 pm

Anyone suggesting on resting both Torres and Gerrard is mental. And I'm very certain Rafa agrees with me too, as will be proven just before kick-off. Torres might be rested in place of Crouch, though, but I still expect him to feature at some time in this game if we're in need of a goal obviously. I'm making no predictions as it seems every time a prediction is made it's always a win for us. However, I will say that I fully expect us to pick up the three points from this one. This is a very poor side, and if we somehow under-perform here, I'll be well miffed. We're a far superior team. Let's f*cking start showing it, please.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:57 pm

i think he'll rest 1 of them, keeping the other on the bench just in case
burjennio

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:01 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:Liverpool playing at home isn't on TV.

But Sky are showing the exciting clash between Bolton and Derby in front of a sell-out crowd of 6

It's crazy. If you've caught sight of Sky's brilliantly super-dooper fantastically brilliant Sky Sports football schedule for January, then you'll have noticed that out of all the games they are showing (a lot apparently) there is only one live Liverpool match, and that's the F.A cup blockbuster super tie between us and those mighty giants of Luton Town. Bravo for Sky Sports on that one.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby King Carra » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Some of you people on here seize to amaze me. We're a LONG way behind the leaders and you think we should start resting our 2 match winners in Torres and Gerrard??? Please, the simple fact is we're not a good enough team without those 2 players. They can create something out of nothing and without those 2 we'd be around 7th/8th. I don't care if they looked tired against Man City, they're footballers and they're payed LOTS of money, and it's down-right stupid to have them sat on the bench. Start them, then IF we're winning after 55 minutes or so take them off. Is that simple.

Some people on here under-estimate teams greatly. Just because we're part of the Top4, it doesn't mean we have some God like superiority over other teams, (Derby anyone?) and just because they're sitting near the bottom of the table it doesn't mean we'll waltz in and get 3 points; this isn't La Liga, or Serie A where the "Top" teams are far far better than the bottom teams. The Premier League is the most competitive league out there by a long margin.

We've already played a Steve Bruce managed team this season, and i'm sure most of you on here expected 3 points - was that the case?

Reina
Finnan Hobbs Carra Riise
Benayoun Gerrard Alonso Kewell
Torres Babel

I hope that's the team he puts out, but I doubt it will be. Arbeloa looked so shaky against Man City, if he plays a game like that against Wigan today Heskey will eat him and I dare say we may be looking at maybe not getting anything out of this game at all...
King Carra

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:32 pm

King Carra wrote:Some of you people on here seize to amaze me. We're a LONG way behind the leaders and you think we should start resting our 2 match winners in Torres and Gerrard??? Please, the simple fact is we're not a good enough team without those 2 players. They can create something out of nothing and without those 2 we'd be around 7th/8th. I don't care if they looked tired against Man City, they're footballers and they're payed LOTS of money, and it's down-right stupid to have them sat on the bench. Start them, then IF we're winning after 55 minutes or so take them off. Is that simple.

Some people on here under-estimate teams greatly. Just because we're part of the Top4, it doesn't mean we have some God like superiority over other teams, (Derby anyone?) and just because they're sitting near the bottom of the table it doesn't mean we'll waltz in and get 3 points; this isn't La Liga, or Serie A where the "Top" teams are far far better than the bottom teams. The Premier League is the most competitive league out there by a long margin.

We've already played a Steve Bruce managed team this season, and i'm sure most of you on here expected 3 points - was that the case?

Reina
Finnan Hobbs Carra Riise
Benayoun Gerrard Alonso Kewell
Torres Babel

I hope that's the team he puts out, but I doubt it will be. Arbeloa looked so shaky against Man City, if he plays a game like that against Wigan today Heskey will eat him and I dare say we may be looking at maybe not getting anything out of this game at all...

Don't agree with everything you say mate (eg I'd cut arbeloa some slack when he's being played at CB) but you should post more often .  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:56 pm

King Carra wrote:Some of you people on here seize to amaze me. We're a LONG way behind the leaders and you think we should start resting our 2 match winners in Torres and Gerrard??? Please, the simple fact is we're not a good enough team without those 2 players. They can create something out of nothing and without those 2 we'd be around 7th/8th. I don't care if they looked tired against Man City, they're footballers and they're payed LOTS of money, and it's down-right stupid to have them sat on the bench. Start them, then IF we're winning after 55 minutes or so take them off. Is that simple.

Wigan have been playing a lot of games as well. If Gerrard is going to play the way he played at City, then I would RATHER have Lucas play.  We have TWO main advantages over Wigan (other than being at home for this tie) One, we have better talent, and two, we have a deeper squad.  When both teams play tired players it evens out the playing field, but if we can play fresh players that are also better than their players, then we should run them up and down the pitch and beat them 3-0 while doing it.  So I don't say rest Gerrard cuz its an easy game and we will need him for games in the future, but I say rest him because he didn't play that great on Sunday and unless Rafa has seen some other king of evidence in training to suggest otherwise, I am not sure if he is Definitely going to play better tonight. Same goes with Torres.  But I would have him on the bench because he is a match-winner and should have enough in the tank to go balls out for 15-20 and get a needed goal against a tired defense if thats what is called for.
JoeTerp

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:02 pm

4-0.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion