LIVERPOOL VS WIGAN - All post match discussion here...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:54 pm

Westham 1-0 Everton what a shame  :cool:

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:12 pm

Lakes are you feeling well lad? 

You're actually starting to make me laugh these days instead of just being a miserable arse all the time.

Will the real Lakes please stand up?  Or were you just a misundertood soul all this time? :D

Easy straightforward win today, met a few of the lads after the game who agreed it wasn't the best, but Champions League qualifying games are now secured for next season.

Here's where the either the real fun part begins, or where you wish you weren't a fan of football or affilliated with any team so you didn't have to go through this kind of nervousness and nailbiting we're about to experience very shortly.

I saw my first Sky Sports advert for Wednesday's game this morning and that's when it hit home for me what's about to happen...

I also booked my holidays in work yesterday between 21st - 25th May, just as a precautionary measure...
jonnymac1979

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Well, for the first time in ages I've come away from Anfield very pleased.

I thought we were very good today. I'm delighted for Pennant, because his confidence is sky high at the moment and it's showing in his performances, he even tried some tricks which shows his confidence levels. I hope his form continues because he's now got the crowd behind him aswell.

I was pleased for Gonzalez because he was good today, his crossing at times is not good but he did put in some good balls. He showed his pace today when going past defenders and exploited them. He'll goin confidence from a good performance. He worked well with Riise who was allowed to get down the left side because Wigan didn't offer much going forward.

The rest of the defence speaks for itself, Carra and Sammi were solid as usual and Arbeloa continues to impress me. Hius link-up play with Pennant was excellent once again and he looked comfortable but again Wigan didn't pose much of a threat.

I was happy with Alonso who's performances are almost always decent. He misplaced a few passes but we're all allowed mistakes and Wigan weren't exactly going to capitalise on them. Zenden was average, but I still maintain my belief that he won't be here next season because he's shite.

Crouch couldn't really get into it, I think he had trouble against De Z(whatever it is) at times and was always tightly marked.

I'm delighted for Kuyt aswell, some doubts had come into people's minds recently but todays performance will do him the world of good. The Key factor for me with Kuyt today was that he did not have his back to goal, he was making little runs in behind like he did near the beginning of the season when he was in good form. He had the confidence to take on a few players aswell. Both goals were good finishes and he could have had another himself but unselfishly tried to nod it down for Gonzalez.

Bellamy ripped them apart when he came on. He made some great diagonal runs and cut inside from the left hand side. He's looking a breath of fresh air.

I was pleased today because previously at home, we've got the goals required to win the game and then just passed the ball around the back 4. We actually went on for more goals and actually showboated a bit.

Very happy, even if it was against a poor side.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:55 pm

good post mate, i agree with you on the players performances, i thought we showed more urgency going foward, if only the final ball into the box was better we would of seen crouchy bag a couple of goals aswell! the only down side for me was having to watch zenden again! he is so :censored: i sincerly hope he goes in the summer he offers the team feck all & it"s painfull to watch him on the ball cause he doesn"t know what to do with it, still a great result & good prep for the semi as our creative play was excellent today.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby jaytoothetee » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:04 am

didn't see the game today:( . but from the motd footage (once again a 2 minute pint of :censored: - i think the only first half highlight was the goal) we could have scored at least another 2. the chances that stood out were gonzalez's saved shot, and kuyt admitted that he could have possibly got his first liverpool hat trick.

overall a good performance today, standing us in good stead for chelsea. the only thing that angered me was the fact that zenden played again today, while fowler didn't even make the f*ckin bench. really :censored: me off, i don't think there's anyone in the world that thinks he's more worthy of a starting slot than GOD. except rafa, evidently. how the f*ck does he start with robbie not even in the squad?! robbie HAS to play the remaining games, give him a proper send off

One time, I saw a man looking at me, yes, with his eyes. And then, he, he picked up a tube. And he looked, in the tube, and he made the moon big, inside the tube. The moon big inside a tube! Waahaha... Aaah. Telescope.
jaytoothetee

Postby eds » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:15 am

Not the best of games.

Kuyt obviously man of the match, if he plays that way every game no one will be questioning whether he is good enough. Crouch was poor and Bellamy showed pace but could have been better. Talking about pace how fast is Gonzalez?  :oh:
Still made many little mistakes and his crossing at times was diabolical, but i dunno I saw something in the last 20mins of the game that made me have hope in him again. He really wanted a goal, unlucky not score.

Alonso was quiet while Zenden was s/h\i/t as usual, WHY DO YOU KEEP PLAYING HIM RAFA!  :veryangry  :veryangry I think Pennant is finally starting to come good, if he plays like that against the good teams and doesn't go into hiding like he usually does, we should have a decent RW for next year, his crosses and time on the ball is starting to very looking dangerous. Gerrard for his minutes was very good, as per norm.

Our defense lead by Carra, Hyppia and Agger was rock solid once again, I don't think our goal was ever really threatened except for that header in the second half. Reina is definately proving all the doubters wrong, another great game and ANOTHER clean sheet.

Last but not least, Arbeloa. This guy is really starting to impress, he pretty much is everywhere, defending his guts out, running alongside Pennant trying to set up a crosses for our forwards and times making runs like a winger rather than a right back! Keep it up, son, keep it up!
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Stu.Murph » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:34 am

Arbeloa seems a weird one to me. I really can't judge him yet at all. He's looked distinctly average technically, but done some really good stuff and defends very well aswell. Like his aggression and ability to overlap.

Definately better than Kromkamp and Josemi.

As to weather he can replace Finnan or not... will have to wait and see. Looks promising though.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:47 am

whatever he is...he's taken to the task very quickly. And that alone throws water all over the theory (to a large extent) that players need shed loads of time to adapt fully to a different culture/style of play abroad. Its there inbuilt (talent) or it aint, simple as that.  Fair play to the lad for slotting in nicely. Decent covering squad member imo.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby whylongball? » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:05 am

i only watched second half
was average till Gerrard came on and then Agger. The flow at that point was so sleek.If we play that way we should see all lesser teams off easily.
And what a run by Agger
:bowdown
whylongball?

Postby maguskwt » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:11 am

Gonzalez sucks...he may be quick but he can't go pass players like even pennant can...he should go...together with zenden...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:30 am

Good result.

Just as I predicted.

See?

Quote (The Manhattan Project @ April 20 2007,10:47)
I think Liverpool will win 2-0 with Kuyt scoring in each half on 30 and 68 minutes, and also doing the "new born baby" thing.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:22 am

adamnbarrett wrote:I was pleased for Gonzalez because he was good today, his crossing at times is not good but he did put in some good balls. He showed his pace today when going past defenders and exploited them. He'll goin confidence from a good performance. He worked well with Riise who was allowed to get down the left side because Wigan didn't offer much going forward.

Gonzales was good ?  ???

I thought he was very average......
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:25 am

This games also showed how important bellamy could be for us..... Infact if bellamy had played left wing instead of gonzales, we would have beaten wigan by 5 ...6 goals.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:51 am

Gonzalez...I still shiver whenever he plays, the only good thing he has going for him is his enthusiasm, he gives nothing else apart from scoring some goals at the early part of the season. Can't get past anybody to save his life, can't put in decent crosses consistently either.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:59 am

azriahmad wrote:Gonzalez...I still shiver whenever he plays, the only good thing he has going for him is his enthusiasm, he gives nothing else apart from scoring some goals at the early part of the season. Can't get past anybody to save his life, can't put in decent crosses consistently either.

I thought his positioning and intelligence was pretty good. his final ball is/was still pretty awful though.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion