LIVERPOOL VS WIGAN - All post match discussion here...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:07 pm

Most of I had to say has been already mentioned.

I remember Wigan last year in Anfield. They "impressed" me. No big names in their team, but a very advanced line of defence and a good pressure well up in the pitch.

This year though, they came with fear. They still advanced the defence, but hadn't the determination to press up in the pitch, becoming an easy target for Rafa's tactics.

As some teams over the world that are promoted, Wigan caused an impact with their good work yesteryear. This year they're more known, the defeats came, and it seems it affected their determination.

It was good to see Heskey again. He's in a proper club for his quality now.

Yesterday's match was another example that Rafa doesn't play 2 strikers or one depending on the "mood" of winning he has. He doesn't see 2 strikers are offensive and the 4-4-1-1 as defensive. Should Wigan hadn't their back 4 advanced and they were deeper, he would have played the same formation that against Middlesborough. But Wigan's display made it more suitable to recover our traditional formation.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:13 pm

I remember Wigan last year in Anfield. They "impressed" me. No big names in their team, but a very advanced line of defence and a good pressure well up in the pitch.

This year though, they came with fear. They still advanced the defence, but hadn't the determination to press up in the pitch, becoming an easy target for Rafa's tactics.

As some teams over the world that are promoted, Wigan caused an impact with their good work yesteryear. This year they're more known, the defeats came, and it seems it affected their determination.

Fair play to Paul Jewell IMO.

Lets not forget Wigan are near the drop zone, he watched on against Middlesbrough and for the best part of an hour we couldnt break them down. TBH when teams do come to Anfield sit deep and defend we do make hard work of it, a lot harder than United or Chelsea would anyway. He played Rafa's formation (with a very deep line) in order to get a point from the game, I think the outcome could of been worse for them if they played two upfront from the beginning. Once Wigan went a goal down he did change that right on half time, maybe Rafa could take a note out of that.  :)
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:21 pm

Please Bamaga man, help me out to bridge the gap of language and define deep.

My inner vocabulary of football is somewhat different and sometimes I think I get wrong some of the things I read here.

By advancing the defence I meant the back 4. They did try to reduce the "usable" space by advancing it and trying to leave us off side.

But yesteryear, their second line was upper, they pressed upper than the middle of the pitch line. This year, their second line was very close to their back 4 line all the time, leaving Alonso and Zenden touch the ball more comfortably.

I'd like your concept of deep, because I think I'm using it wrong sometimes here, thanks.

Wigan still did a good work defensively so fair play to Jewell, as you said, but they should have been more ambitious when they hadn't the ball. Probably yoour point about being in relegation zone explains it.
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby premiership fan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:28 pm

MOTD Highlights+ interviews are online if you are interested http://redsgoals.blogspot.com/
premiership fan

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:32 pm

Please Bamaga man, help me out to bridge the gap of language and define deep.

Okay, a deep line is simply where the defence sit in or around their own 18 yard box. Thats a deep line, of obviously if their defence pushed up towards the half-way line in which they did advance slightly in the second half is considered a "higher" line. To play the offside, notabley when they need to push on and look for a goal, and when if by coincedence players like Bellamy are introduced. Thus trying to play the offiside trap.

But in the first half the back four were deeper, nearer the 18 yard box with their midfield tightly infront marshalling them and playing as a tight unit.

I hope that clears it up a bit more, unless somebody else on here can simplify it. :)

Also on your "advancing" bit, I didnt fully understand what you said and thats why I left it out of my original quote.  :)
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:43 pm

Cheers for that explanation Bamaga man.

By advancing the back 4 line I mean the simultaneous movement of the back four everytime the opposition sends a ball backwards. This is something Rafa asks all the time in a game, and which some teams do very well others badly and others do not do it at all. It's something that if it's done well you'll provoke a lot of off sides but if you don't do well it can cost you a game.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:50 pm

Sabre wrote:Cheers for that explanation Bamaga man.

By advancing the back 4 line I mean the simultaneous movement of the back four everytime the opposition sends a ball backwards. This is something Rafa asks all the time in a game, and which some teams do very well others badly and others do not do it at all. It's something that if it's done well you'll provoke a lot of off sides but if you don't do well it can cost you a game.

Did it make sense  :D  ?

And I now see what your saying, everytime when the opposition are in possesion, and play the ball backwards. Rafa wants our back four to push up (higher line).

Thats what your saying isnt it, it would make sense as we're excellent at holding our line and playing the offside trap. A bit like the old Arsenal rear-guard of the late 80's.
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:02 pm

Push up. I've learnt another word. Thank you, yes, that's what I meant.

And well, I saw things slightly different, but definitely you made sanse in the explanation.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:08 pm

Sabre wrote:Push up. I've learnt another word. Thank you, yes, that's what I meant.

And well, I saw things slightly different, but definitely you made sanse in the explanation.

Lost in er Translation I mean English.   :D

When you were talking before were you on about our defence playing a high line or theirs ?

You said you saw things different I remember their defence as sitting deep especially in the first half, no ?
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:15 pm

Yes I saw things differently, I've given one shot to the 90 mins game and even in the first half I don't remember their back four in or near their box, but slightly more advanced, or more advanced than other oppositions.

But, I would have to watch the game again as I don't grasp many details on the first time I see things, meaning, I can be perfectly wrong!

And yes, I also agree that we're good in pushing up and holding the line, as you said.

P.S. I have captured a couple of images that shows much better their line than my words, but when trying to save it as JPG, it becomes all black and cannot be seen. Anyone knows how to bridge this?
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:22 am

alxy wrote:Good question: is Momo injured? If not, then I guess he's being rested for the Chelsea game. Still, I am not all that confident seeing Zenden in the line-up. Kuyt has not been scoring goals lately so it's good to get him to play games like these to hopefully bring him back on the goal scoring trail.

Sorry guys, I would love to see Robbie play as well, but other than sentimental reasons, doesn't serve any tactical purpose.

Well, Kuyt got 2 goals and his confidence would be sky high now. Not a bad thing to be carrying into the Chelsea game. Imagine if Robbie had got the 2 goals instead. Good for him and good for the fans, but for LFC, does absolutely nothing as Rafa is neve going to play him in the CL unless all our strikers are out.

I am glad Rafa is thinking about the team first. Though if we have got nothing else to play for, I would be the first to shout "Let God have his day!"
alxy

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion