LIVERPOOL VS WEST HAM UNITED - All the build up and reaction here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:58 am

s@int wrote:
drummerphil wrote:for Rafa to state Kuyt can be a bigger legend than Robbie (if he did say it)..means to me that no foreign manager (Rafa included) and indeed other non livepool linked managers will ever really grasp or understand how we fans see the club and indeed our son Robbie Fowler.Robbie is so much more  than a goal scorer to our club and the name Fowler will live on long after many players and managers have come and gone.

I dont believe that Benitez said anything of the sort Phil, If you notice its not one of the quotes, in my opinion its something that Tribal football have tagged on to grab attention.

That's definately the case. Rafa never said it in the interview. It's just c*nt journo's twisting things as per usual.

Anyhoo...

I thought we played quite well today, but are still only at around 70% of our true ability.

That c*ckhead Zamora actually went on camera with a straight face and said he meant to shoot, and he saw Reina "stray" off his line.

Bobby:

You are a lying Southern ponce.

Regarding the "blame", I'd say this to anyone who has anything negative to say to Pepe:

"You'd have done exactly the same."

Alan "Nobhead" Curbishley reckoned Agger was lucky to score with a "hit and hope" shot, but the guy talks b*llocks. Agger went for exactly the same shot Vs Sheff Utd, but it went wide.
It was f*cking obvious he was going to shoot from the minute he flicked the ball to his left.

Kuyt looks VERY promising, and was unlucky not to score today, IMO.

Special mention to Luis: He gets a lot of stick on here at times, but his part in Crouch's goal was brilliant in it's subtlety.

All in all - a good day at the races.  :nod

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:26 am

Oasis wrote:
s@int wrote:ConnO'var I dont think Lando's comments were aimed at you at all mate , and if you read the Sheff U thread again you will see that there were people saying that our title challenge was as good as over. I think everyone was bitterly disappointed at the Shef U result and most appreciate that we cant afford too many results like that. To say that because we f*cked up in one match that we have lost the EPL is a bit OTT im sure you will agree? Yes we may regret the lost points come the end of the season but we have 37 games left to make up for them.
           You expressed disappointment in the result not that we had lost the league. At least thats the way I read your post.Hope this helps mate.

Who said we were out of the title race? I don't think I saw anyone say that, perhaps I can't read, do shed some light. There was several of us who were bitterly disappointed and not being sunshiners like most on here we decided to voice our annoyance at what was an embarrassing result.

I was confronted by several idiots who were taking my comments and other's way out of context, therefore blowing it out of proportion and through their ignorance came up with the fact that people who refuse to see rays of sunshine when it's clouded by s.hit, must indeed be "doom mungers", "fickle" or claiming "the title race is over".

All I said and the others who agreed with me is that losing two points could be costly at the end of the season, I hardly think that states we are out of the title race.

:no

There are a lot of guilty consciences on here, aren't there!?!  :oops:

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DonnieDarko » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:53 am

Bobby Zamora sucks. Can't believe he is leading the league. He has been fortunate to say the least.
DonnieDarko

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:23 am

Decent performance.

Kuyt seemed to be OK out there. Made a few chances.

Once again Crouch scores. He's tall, he's ugly, but he does the job.

Great goal by Aggar.

Couple of defensive mistakes though that are a little worrying.

Bellamy's goal seemed to be look OK.

Overall, it was good.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:59 am

Have to say crouch is winning me over.... Who cares if he say a sh1tty game...as long as he is scoring goals, he should start every match.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:34 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:Decent performance.

Kuyt seemed to be OK out there. Made a few chances.

Once again Crouch scores. He's tall, he's ugly, but he does the job.

Great goal by Aggar.

Couple of defensive mistakes though that are a little worrying.

Bellamy's goal seemed to be look OK.

Overall, it was good.

Can you highlight Agger's errors mate?

I really must have been wearing different glasses than yourself?

The one or two you seem to feel that need highlighting go amiss when i watch the game.
I think the man looks great for such a young talent that has been basically thrown in at the deep end at a young age in the hardest league in the world?I really struggle to see the mistakes ?

Perhaps a bit slower than what Carra can be...yes but our Carra has been playing EPL all his life!!

Id say Agger looks great...Red blinkers and supergoal aside..he's one for the future!!!

His defensive capabilities look great and he has a great head  for a player so young.................Yaaaaaa! :buttrock

YNWA
66-1120597113

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:31 am

Can you highlight Agger's errors mate?

I really must have been wearing different glasses than yourself?

The one or two you seem to feel that need highlighting go amiss when i watch the game.
I think the man looks great for such a young talent that has been basically thrown in at the deep end at a young age in the hardest league in the world?I really struggle to see the mistakes ?

Perhaps a bit slower than what Carra can be...yes but our Carra has been playing EPL all his life!!

Id say Agger looks great...Red blinkers and supergoal aside..he's one for the future!!!

His defensive capabilities look great and he has a great head  for a player so young.................Yaaaaaa! 

YNWA

You misunderstand.

When referring to defensive weaknesses, I wasn't referring to Aggar, but rather as a collective team, like allowing Benayoun to slice through them a few times.

Each of my sentences represent different thoughts regarding the game.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby onizukaeikichi » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:36 am

agger's goal is the goal of the season :D
onizukaeikichi

Postby Mannyk » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:19 am

Bit early to call it goal of the season then again up till now it is.
Top goal and you gotta give Crouchy some credit.
Luv this club

3 points ohh yesssss
Mannyk

Postby Ciggy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:48 am

Didnt I tell you lot Kuyt's good  :D
Fitted in perfect he will be a star, he's ma proper Liverpool player.
I pray to god Sissoko, Riise and Carra are back for the derby, I could'nt take defeat at Woodison.
Gonzales was excellent when he came on, a few miss placed passes but he erradicated his mistakes straight away.

Aurelio has a mean shot on him, and I like his attacking abilities, however I was very worried how he kept standing off players, this has been the reason we have conceeded 2 goals, because he's not closing down players.

He is 26 surely that should be part of his game defending when he is a left back?

Agger has been superb so far, so much energy, great goal, weve hardly missed Carra since he has been in the squad, he was excellent against Chelsea aswell, well done lad. He will be great for us for many years to come.

Very nervous Liverpool yesterday that should have buried the game,but then again we are LFC we never do anything simple do we :D

I know Bellamy was frustrated that he kept getting caught offside, but this part of his game is the reason I havent liked him in the past, he's like a little rottweiler growlin.

Pennants is cutting in to early he should be getting round the back of defenders, but yesterday he had two players marking him constantly, he can only improve his game.

Cant moan its 3 points but a lot of improvements are needed with this new squad and the injuries havent helped either.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:27 am

Ciggy wrote:Didnt I tell you lot Kuyt's good  :D
Fitted in perfect he will be a star, he's ma proper Liverpool player.
I pray to god Sissoko, Riise and Carra are back for the derby, I could'nt take defeat at Woodison.
Gonzales was excellent when he came on, a few miss placed passes but he erradicated his mistakes straight away.

Aurelio has a mean shot on him, and I like his attacking abilities, however I was very worried how he kept standing off players, this has been the reason we have conceeded 2 goals, because he's not closing down players.

He is 26 surely that should be part of his game defending when he is a left back?

Agger has been superb so far, so much energy, great goal, weve hardly missed Carra since he has been in the squad, he was excellent against Chelsea aswell, well done lad. He will be great for us for many years to come.

Very nervous Liverpool yesterday that should have buried the game,but then again we are LFC we never do anything simple do we :D

I know Bellamy was frustrated that he kept getting caught offside, but this part of his game is the reason I havent liked him in the past, he's like a little rottweiler growlin.

Pennants is cutting in to early he should be getting round the back of defenders, but yesterday he had two players marking him constantly, he can only improve his game.

Cant moan its 3 points but a lot of improvements are needed with this new squad and the injuries havent helped either.

Dont worry about the derby ciggy.  We allways win in wales.

Kuyt does look the typical liverpool player.  He looks like he can create just as many as he can finish. 

Ive noticed that about Aurelio aswell, them runs from Benny Youuni what ever his name is should off been stopped by him.  I think he might off been told to let him drift in side from there, as that would mean he would be on his wrong foot.  Hopefully its a case of just getting use to the premiership.  I dont think we would off seen Aurelio at left back this soon.   RAfa was playing him in left mid so he can get use to the way the premiership is played.   I remmember hearing him saying one off the reasons he left Valencia was that when he was getting a chance at valencia it was ouit off position (left mid).  I think Aurelio will be a great left back when hes adapted to the pace of the prem. 

Agger's been awesome, running out off defence and defending, great stuff lad keep it up.  For me it has to be CArra and Agger in defence.  Hyypia for me is still a great defender but he allways opts to pass the ball into someones feet who is under pressure by another player.  He did this to Alonso a couple off times yesterday, with the end result being Alonso trying a first time pass but because he was under pressure hes ended up hitting it out or giving it away.  When in the first place Hyypia should off picked someone else out.  So deffo CArra And Agger.  When fit.

As for Pennant, alls I can say is more of the same please mate.  He has been exellent in my eyes, work rate, pace, crossing, have all been spot on.  Keep up the good work.

I hate these international breaks, if i was head off fifa or what ever I would ban International football as its :censored: :censored:.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:45 am

Overall I thought it was a good performance and a great result yesterday. At the back TBH, apart from his obvious mistake Reina had nothing to do really all afternoon, apart from a good block shot in the 87 minute.
I dont really understand why so many on here and pundits alike thinks our defence looks vunrable. Okay in the first half as a unit they looked a tad shaky, and backed off at times against the WH attacks. I was glad to see Finnan back in the side he was excellent in his defensive duties and also saw the odd opportunity to push on down the flank. Agger scored a peach of a goal but looked very solid and accustomed playing alongside Sami Hyypia. He's neat and tidy on the ball looks good in the air, I think he will turn out to be an able replacement for the great Finn.
Sami as usual was solid and marshelled the defence well I think Agger will certainly learn alot from him.
To me our only worry defensively came from the little Brazilian, in general the Brazilians are'nt renound for there defending and Aurelio is no different. His sweet left foot and tidy style of play look more suited as a left midfielder, his left foot is certainly more offensive than it is defensive. I thought positionally he was found wanting a few times, he got caught tucked in to close to the central pairing of Sami and Agger. There wide man would often find himself in a lot of room out on the right and whip in some telling crosses. Notably near there end where Bowyer almost found himslef on the scoresheet, Aurelio was to slow or backed off and offered Beniyoun or who ever the time to pick someone out. For all his offensive qualities I hope Rafa picks him up on his defensive lapses to a usually watertight defense.

The midfield worked well I thought, going forwards especially but also our widemen mainly Pennant  also tracked back well and helped out the full backs which was good to see. I heard Gerrard got slated on another site, well I thought he was everywhere and most of our drive and inspiration came from him. A typical all action display from Stevie and he linked up well with Kuyt a couple of times, and played some telling passes, out wide to Pennant and one into Garcia in which the little Spaniard cleverly reversed the ball in for Crouch who round the Keeper to score a lovely goal. Alonso did okay covered well in midfield, and broke up a few WH attacks, he's not quite there yet in terms of fitness or whatever but i doubt it will be too long before he's back into the groove. Garcia had a good game, some nice touches, typical Garcia really. I did notice though that when Kuyt came on he'd drop deeper just infront of our midfield at times. And Garcia cleverly made runs from deep and looked to exploit space in which Kuyt had left. That was positive and offered food for thought when mixing it up, up top. Pennant became more lively in the second half, for me I'd like to see him in the game much more. At times he drifts out of the game so much so you wouldnt even know he's on the pitch. He again had a tidy game he combined with Finnan well a couple of times, but I think he could make more of an impact. I dont know if he's overawed a bit or lacks confidence, I just think theres more to come from him yet. Same said about Mark Gonzalez he came on and worked hard and also looks a team player.

Crouch another player who plays for the team had a busy game, some nice knockdowns here and there and took his goal well. Definately one of the names I'd have down first on the team sheet especially when playing away games. He's a great outlet he enables the team to get a breather and allowes the players behind him to collect themselves. And with a good touch brings others around him into the game. Bellamy, unfortunately it wasnt the firey Welshmans day. On another some of those offside decisions may of gone his way. West Ham were playing a risky game and especially in the second half I thought he would of capitalised on there high defensive line, again another player I'd play in the away games with Crouch. As his pace will cause defenders all sorts of problems on the counter especially. Kuyt had a good debut too and I was impressed of what I saw of him, he immediately gave us a presence upfront when he came on. Even more than Crouch does, he looks an intelligent player and it was obvious he was eager to impress, as I said before he dropped deep at times which allowed Gonzo or Garcia space to move into. Combined well with Stevie and generally looked lively up top and kind of reminded me in his playing style, not looks,  :D  like a Peter Beardsley type of player.
66-1112520797

Postby Espionage » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:13 am

I was very impressed with Kuyt, to be honest I wasnt so sure that he would be that much of an improvement from what we already had.  I thought that maybe Rafa would wait another year before picking up a big striker.  But he lookds very, very good.  His aggression gives me the confidence that he will definately make in in the EPL.  He looked very good in the air, he read the flight of the ball better then everyone else on a few occasions and turned them into positive attacking situations. 
Agger looks great, the more I see this guy, the more I like him.  How many central defenders have a left foot like him?  Not only good with the shot, but his distribution is great as well.

God damn you international break, I want to watch some real football!!!!!!
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:59 am

i just hope kuyt starts more games than not.  bellamy and kuyt together can be real good!

if kuyt plays, then does that mean crouch starts on the bench?  what you think?
puroresu

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:07 am

I'm surprised those who slag Riise off for being the weak link in our defence haven't started slagging off Aurelio.

I like Aurelio but he needs to learn to close down players, he gives them far too much room to maneuver. I definitely think we are missing Carragher's leadership and organisation at the back, he can't come back soon enough.

Agger is a very impressive defender and has settled down well which I'm quite surprised at, especially considering he's spent most of the latter part of last season injured. He's performed exceptionally well for a youngster when called upon, and the goal was nothing short of amazing. I'm expecting great things from Agger.

Finnan and Pennant's partnership down the right seems to be getting a lot better, there's better understanding between the two which is great to see.

We've opened up our play alot, by getting wingers, we therefore have more options and a very good option to open up defences and we did that a lot yesterday, it was just ashame we didn't do too well in the final third until the golden period just before half time.

Garcia stressed me out once again, made a good assist, but he was disappointing once again. I think he should only come on the field as a sub for a while. I find him highly wasteful with the ball and it undoes all our work, I'm hoping it's just a blip and he improves as the season progresses.

Kuyt looks like a good player, I hadn't seen anything of him apart from the World Cup and some compilation videos but he looks pretty impressive, I look forward to seeing him again.

It wasn't a great performance, and I dare say if it was a better team and they had the chances Harewood and Bowyer wasted, we could of been looking at a 3-2 loss, but we aren't, we got three points and we're looking better, which is great to see.
48-1119859832

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion