LIVERPOOL VS WEST HAM UNITED - All the build up and reaction here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby DrTNT » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:59 pm

It was a good game today where the team played well against a good West Ham side. Reina did alright and I felt sorry for him as he was only doing what any goalkeeper would do in that situation ie get in position for the cross. Sadly in was a miss hit cross that he just couldn't do much about.

The defense was a bit shakey and I don't think Aurelio played well but hopefully he will improve. To say Agger's goal was excellent is an understatement, it has goal of the season written all over it. Crouch took his goal well and the midfield played well throughout the match.

When Kuyt came on he showed good movement and willingness to drop back to help out the midfield. He created Bellamy's disallowed goal and created a few chances. He looks a promising player so lets hope he lives up to his reputation in Holland.
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:08 pm

Im happy after today!
2-1 makes West Ham look a bit better than what they actually were.As expected at home we dominated in most of the game,ok West Ham had their moments but decent teams always do.Credit given where its due,Alan Pardew has made himself a decent squad and they can play football!

The first goal for me was a bit soft and im sure Reina kicked himself a bit afterwards.For me he was too far off his line when the ball came in,and being honest it looked as if he had lost his bearings a bit....I feel he thought he was more off his post towards the corner flag than he was.Unfortunately he tipped it in!Better today than doing the same at Stamford Bridge sometime...it wont happen again,it was a freak goal...one that should'nt really be judged unless you are ignorant to the great keeper we have!

As for Agger's well why the hell not have a go...they stood off the man too long! Were they thinking'this guys a centre back,he'll stick it by'??...If so they wont again ..What a strike..outside of the boot and in...Yaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Not to mention his defensive display..looked great in a defence without Carra...so calm and efficient..good performance all round!

I dont know what to say about the season ahead,but i do feel we are in with a cracking chance!People to me are saying..look how UTD are playing..so what ! They will loose and drop points later! Chelsea have been brought to earth with a bang..humbled by a Boro team without a proper manager !Arsenal are ..erm Arsenal..nothing to fear!

I feel its our year and that our biggest enemy is ourselves...dont throw away silly points!Last week against Sheff Utd was not a real game....they had just came up,it was always gonna be their Glory day.These players played the game of their lives against us..adrenalin rushing..and all the rest!Their result today showed that!

This season ahead i think as mentioned that the only team that can beat LFC are LFC...its simple really for us play the way we can,dont drop silly points,Raffa keep mouth shut..dont moan,make Anfield a fortress ............................................JUST BE LIVERPOOL AGAIN!!!!

:buttrock  :buttrock
66-1120597113

Postby shanks74 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:01 pm

A good performance by us against a side that had thier moments,D.A'S goal was superb and Kuyt shows good promise-if he can build on that then other sides should tremble in thier boots !!! :)  :)
shanks74

Postby Feyenoorder » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:04 pm

I wanted to see how Feyenoord's still favourite player ( :( ) would make his debut so I watched the second half on telly. I thought Kuyt was doing ok, just a bit to eager to make a good impression on you lot. Usually he'll look for a fellow player in a better position instead of taking his chance with shots from too far away. Off course he has to get familiar with the other players and the best way to give them the ball, in their feet or in the space before them for example (sorry, if this is not clear, I'm not very familiar with the right expressions about football in English...  :help ). But that's just a matter of time and I'm sure that Crouch will get enough time on the bench in the nearby future to grow some fat on his skinny :censored::D  With Kuyt your team will show a better game as Crouch might be someone more fit to play the role of pinchhitter when it's time to stop playing football the way it was meant to be...

Fot that matter, why is Zenden playing for Liverpool? Was Benitez thinking "Ok, we have Crouch so now we need a little "gnome" to complete the team" or what?  :p

I'm also sorry to see that Dudek is not the first choice. I know that he has made some bad mistakes in the past years, mistakes he never made playing for Feyenoord. In fact, he was the best keeper we ever had, even slightly better than Ed de Goey. Is there any chance Dudek will be Raffa's first choice again or is it all over for him?
Feyenoorder

Postby MaccaLFC » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:14 pm

Feyenoorder wrote:Is there any chance Dudek will be Raffa's first choice again or is it all over for him?

I'd say that's about it for him mate, never know in football like, but it'd take some doing for him to get back the #1 shirt of Pepe, not to mention Carson.
Der der der der der der der derrr!
MaccaLFC

Postby Kev Huyton 2006 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:24 pm

I dont blame Reina, having seen the goal. He was expecting a cross and got caught out. Zamora has miss hit that with pace, and reina did not have time to think.

Kuyt, looks like a quality player. he's gonna score a load, i just know it.

Agger looks very good, goal is a "goal of the month" contender. These younger players just need games.

I also think Aurelio's free kicks are good, a bit like Roberto Carlos, and they will soon start hitting the net.

My opinion is, keep playing the younger players, givethem the games and experience. Rafa has bought them, to play them, and its up to them to do the Biz.

Good Stuff.
Kev Huyton 2006

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:55 pm

I just hope Reina doesnt get "second season nightmare" like Westerveld and Dudek. Very important win today in my opinion, last thing we would have wanted was a long break without our first win under our belts. Hopefully the break will have come at the wrong time for the Mancs and we can catch them quickly.
account deleted by request

Postby Kev Huyton 2006 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:04 am

hi
Kev Huyton 2006

Postby adamnbarrett » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:14 am

Kev Huyton 2006 wrote:hi

five  :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:16 am

Rafa expects lots of goals from Dirk

Liverpool boss Benitez: Kuyt can be bigger legend than Fowler
tribalfooball.com - August 25, 2006

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez believes Dirk Kuyt could become a bigger Anfield favourite than Robbie Fowler.
Kuyt proved a goal machine for Feyenoord before his ?10million move to Liverpool - averaging two goals in every three games.

Benitez is tipping him to continue his prolific exploits and become a Kop idol like Ian Rush and Robbie Fowler.

The Liverpool boss said: "We have one goalscoring legend here in Robbie - and Dirk is another natural goal-scorer.

"Peter Crouch is a great player for the team but he is not the type of striker you expect to score 15-20 goals a season.

"Craig Bellamy will get his share of goals for us but his role will be to supply many assists to the others.

"Dirk is different because his main purpose will be to score goals. It is what he does best."

A clearly impressed Rafa continued: "He'll bring a lot to the team because he gives us a physical presence with his strength and power.

"But he also has terrific movement, which means he would be comfortable alongside any of our other strikers or Luis Garcia.

"We've many options up front now and can field a lot of different combinations.

"In fact, for the first time since I came here, we look stronger up front than we do in defence."

Postby Dalglish » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:43 am

I went today and throughly enjoyed the game , particularly the first half. I suspected Rafa would start with Crouch and Bellamy and he didn't disappoint. With Wingers who can cross, full backs who get up and down and Stevie and Alonso in combative mood the opportunities and threat was coming from everywhere.

We took our foot off the gas second half and you suspected had we gone in at 1-1 than the attascking intent of the first half would have continued into the second half...... But alas it didn't

On Kuyt I thought he and Stevie G linked up really well and there already seems to be an understanding between the two.

Best move of the game was actually the disallowed Goal which was a superb move from defence to goal......
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Hot Mama » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:53 am

Watched todays game and thought Kuyt did really well.  Looked very impressive, excellent work rate.  I think Pennant has fitted in really well.  Defence still look a bit nervy from set plays but its early days yet.  Have to say the mosaic in the kop at the start of the match looked fantastic.
Red Hot Mama

Postby drummerphil » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:00 am

for Rafa to state Kuyt can be a bigger legend than Robbie (if he did say it)..means to me that no foreign manager (Rafa included) and indeed other non livepool linked managers will ever really grasp or understand how we fans see the club and indeed our son Robbie Fowler.Robbie is so much more  than a goal scorer to our club and the name Fowler will live on long after many players and managers have come and gone.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby davo_LFC » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:05 am

Tribalsh.it are most probaby putting words in rafa's mouth coz from what i can see in that article, he said kuyt is a natural goalscorer like fowler, no quote from rafa saying he thinks he can be a bigger legend than robbie. Fowler is one in a million .
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:09 am

drummerphil wrote:for Rafa to state Kuyt can be a bigger legend than Robbie (if he did say it)..means to me that no foreign manager (Rafa included) and indeed other non livepool linked managers will ever really grasp or understand how we fans see the club and indeed our son Robbie Fowler.Robbie is so much more  than a goal scorer to our club and the name Fowler will live on long after many players and managers have come and gone.

I dont believe that Benitez said anything of the sort Phil, If you notice its not one of the quotes, in my opinion its something that Tribal football have tagged on to grab attention.

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion