Tottenham v liverpool - All build up and reaction here please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:38 am

stmichael wrote:Carra was immense. He blocked absolutely everything.

...didnt he just!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ciggy » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:03 am

Carra MOTM  he was emmense reminded me of our CL displays from 2005  :buttrock
More worrying is Riise's form of late, he doesnt seem to hot recently?
Great result I suppose we should have beat Blackburn and got beat by Spurs cause Spurs are better than them.
# points against that feckin horrible Bolton pretenders and happy days.
If we hadent have lost so many away from home we could have finished 2nd going by Chelsea's form.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:45 am

Although we've performed better this was probably our best result of the season so far . Got a bit concerned as to how we went from bossing the game and being a goal up to being under siege and hanging on but the lads did the job , great finish to the year .  :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:59 am

Just seen the game, theres a bit of a delay down here :D

Firstly I'd like to say I'm over the moon with the result, considering Spurs's home record and the fact we havent been to crash hot away from home this season. By the way I thought Jamie Carragher was immense, what a performance !

The only thing that got me thinking was the second half ... substitutions, this might not be of relavance now but I'll guarentee you if Spurs had nicked a late equalizer. People would of been asking ' why did Rafa go defensive in the second half?' He pulled off a striker on brought on a midfielder, and that really more or less invited Spurs onto us. I have to say Spurs hardly looked threatening in the first half with their poor "patient" build up play from defense, they were useless with tempo and distribution, and looked more threatening when playing route one football in the second half. But anyway, we edged that first half, and the second was totally different. Time spent camped in our own half, and hanging on at times.

What do you do though if your the gaffa and your one nil up to a decent side away from home, cling on to your lead or go out and kill the game off ?

Fortunately for Benitez we held on and claimed the three points, otherwise these boards would of been full unhappy supporters saying ' We should of kept two upfront and killed the game off ' I can see it now.

I thought Carragher as said earlier had a fantastic game, Kuyt for me wasnt all that and TBH I havent been overwhelmed with his displays of late. He's a very hard worker and gives his all, but honestly I think he could do with a rest. I cant really see why he is the automatic choice upfront at the moment. I think Fowler should line-up alongside Crouch or Bellamy, the goal threat isnt really there with three of the four strikers and goals win you games not just hard graft.
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:55 pm

Just like Bamaga man I have seen the game late.

It was a game that I loved to watch, BTW. Lot's of things to comment, alternatives, let's start commenting.

Most of our mistakes were committed in the first 10 minutes in the match. We were lucky that the linesman got wrong a good position of De Foe. After this 10 minutes the game was under control. And it was under control because once again it was a pleasure to watch Liverpool defending. Those Barcelona fans that want to know what Xabi Alonso provides that Xavi don't must watch the game against Tottenham. He made a superb match as a defensive midfielder, he stole more than 9 balls when I stopped counting, and he helped many times our centre backs.

We are winning this kind of games because we have corrected those little mistakes of the early part of the season. When you work at a rate like Carraguer did against Tottenham, IT'S MUCH MORE LIKELY you don't concede a goal. And not starting losing is very important in this kind of games. Should Tottenham have scored, then we'd had a different game, but since we worked well they didn't.

Luis Garcia made a great match. Not because his sixth goal of the season but because he fixed their Number 3, the South Korean in his position avoiding he could go up. The number 3 of them must have had nightmares with out little Luis. We charged our game by the right wing, thus seeming that Fabio Aurelio did not much, but I think it was our tactical decission.

After the goal in the second half we stepped back just a bit and the game was under control. Tottenham fueled by a frustrated crowd, tried to go attacking and Xabi Alonso and our men gave a lesson of how to recover balls, frustating them even more. I was so happy with the performance until min 70... very proffesional. But football is about passion... and weather. A sudden burst of blizzard somehow changed the game. And the already very fast pitch due to the water, became even faster. That, with the need of Tottenham to fulfill the will of their crowd, created a momentum of madness in the game in which constant giving away of balls and counter attacks happened.

Entering in this kind of mad game was a mistake of ours because we had the game under control. In this sense I found a good idea the entering of Crouch to hold the ball a little bit more -Kuyt needs to score and you could notice that, it's good he's scored today-. Gonzalez was entered in the game to seize the gaps left by the attacking Tottenham, but we didn't know to stop the game against min 85 or so when we started to do the things properly: Gerrard discussed with Davenport stopping the game, LG made some intelligent fouls, and Alonso got the game quiet. Anyhow, we were a bit lucky because we shouldn't have allowed the game went mad.

Good victory in a difficult stadium. I'm very happy.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:56 pm

Sabre you know we just beat Bolton mate, get with the times! :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:58 pm

I know, but I had to make my review :p
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.