LIVERPOOL VS BOLTON - All build up and reaction here please.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:38 pm

Very good result and a good performance from the lads today.

Bolton didn't offer much attacking wise throughout the game and we took advantage of that in the 2nd half.

1st half we looked a little scared to shoot at times and were trying to do a few too many passes and walk it in but when we did shoot we caused problems. Finnan hitting the bar in the first half and Alonso dragging his shot just wide were noteable chances for us. In the first half Bolton were hard to break down because they got everyone behind the ball. We didn't have much luck from whipping free kicks in either because they pushed the defensive line forward.

Bolton put themselves about and made it difficult. One thing that was disappointing in the 1st half was that Gonzalez was coming off he wing and coming inside too much which often lead to mistakes with possession and passes to him. I fully believe that Gonzalez will be agreat player for the club and has impressed me with his previous games although this one was not up to scratch. Most of the action was on the right wing, this is why he was quiet. The odd few times it did come over to the left Gonzalez did make 1 or 2 mistakes which of course will lead to some people complaining and saying he isn't good enough but all you have to say is that you can't base the player on 2 or 3 mistakes in a game and look at his previous performances, IMO he has showed great potential. On the other wing, Pennant was doing ok and getting some decent crosses in.

2nd half we played much much better. We started having more shots and pushed forward in more numbers. I'm delighted with Pennant's 2nd half performance, he ran at the full back and got the cross in and of course we know 2 goals came from the right wing where he had a hand in creating. His interplay with Finnan and Gerrard was superb at times. This is exactly what people want to see from him and this performance will give him confidence.

Nice to see crouch do another scissor kick, always good to see gerrard score and I'm delighted to see Kuyt back on the scoresheet. I know a few people I know were saying that maybe he's not up to it etc but I hope he proves them wrong and I have no doubt he will.

One thing that annoyed me again today were short corners, yet again so so wasteful. Why make the likes of Hyypia and Carra run 70 odd yards only to have to run back twice as fast because it's been wasted. Having said that though Hyypia did have a header brilliantly saved in the 2nd half following a short corner but this was 1 out of about 5 corners that did actually come to something.

Carra was a rock at the back again. Coped superbly with Anelka and Davies. Reina was in control of the box at all times in the air.

Overall....

very very happy. 3rd place. Happy New Year :)
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:39 pm

STR_18+5 wrote:He's :censored: :censored: Pennant. Can't beat a man or pass, certainly cross.

Anyone who doubts how good he is needs to watch todays game.

His problems been confidence and form. Not ability. Today proved this.

He did look a different player today Stu , long may it continue .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:41 pm

Yes!!  Two fantastic results.  Well in, Red Men! :buttrock
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:46 pm

Can someone put on the goals on here, i need to see them, the bloody cable guy didnt put the channel that were showing the game today  :angry:

but 3-0. it is all good.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:48 pm

aCe' wrote:
red37 wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:
red37 wrote:Gonzalez was...woeful.

Yeh only one who didnt really play up to standard today.

Pennant showed today that he is definitley good enough for this club, most of his problems are mental I feel, namely confidence. Gonzo on the other hand I'm not sure about.

Let's not dwell on that though, great performance by the lads.

im inclined to say Pennant improved quite a bit as the second half wore on. As for MG - I still maintain, with a bit more 'oomph' to his physique he might well find a little more confidence naturally. Then who knows, the rest of his 'game' might well reveal itself a shade more significantly than it has done so far.  All said and done though...a much needed and well executed 3 points in the end.  But for me, the areas we need to highlight are still, the flanks. Both Full back and wide midfield positions warrant attention. Because the greater majority of our play has become focused on the supply from these positions...either the delivery is lacking in the first place (on several occasions), or the lack of support from the full-backs is shortcoming in supporting that. You can almost sense the trepidation in relinquishing their posts for fear of reprisal..its palpable at times. There should be no excuse...but because the CM are entrusting quite a fair proportion of the fulcrum of attack - to the wide men....(Which is what the side was crying out for last term) the Full backs are insecure about trusting them to hang on to the ball because of the flaws we've become accustomed to;  so you perhaps have to allow some licence there for their cautionary approach. In any case it is a hindrance to an otherwise solid looking unit that is starting to gel effectively. It could well yet evolve into an even better one.  I think its become clear why Gerrard was utilised on the Right of midfield, when you consider the limitations i have identified. Lets just hope that it remains difficult for the manager to go back to that scenario once Sissoko is fit again, for i feel it is HE that should take the place on the bench for a while. And instead continue with the same 'core' in CM. If JP does eventually find some form, of which several glimpses were shown today that few doubted him capable of,  yet many have witnessed to date. We might well be looking at a positive outcome at the close of this season.  Two decent Fullbacks and cover in CM, perhaps a 'Finisher' are all this club needs IMO.  3 well taken goals without reply today it has to be said...Another positive there then (the GD column).  Looking good for me....At least its looking BETTER!

agree with most of what you said but ..

You say we need 2 decent fullbacks ?
Riise i have to agree with... been poor this season despite the good display in todays game... But what about Finnan?
Used to laugh off the comments of him being the best right fullback in the prem. but now im starting to think otherwise !
I do agree that we can improve BOTH our fullbacks but atm..id settle for a decent Riise replacement.

What about our wingers ?
Pennant looked good today and definitely seems to have it in him.. Kewell is injured and only god knows when hes available and fit... gonzales is a joke ... and L.Garcia is a great sub.
Dont you think we need investment in that area ?!

A 'finisher'...i absolutely agree with... Bellamy pairing up with a great finisher... with either Kuyt or Crouchie on the bench would be brilliant...
3 or 4 players are all we need to be a side challenging for the prem. imo !

2 decent Full-backs,  as in investment through their replacements (especially considering the age of Finnan) Who remains the only senior member of the side without a direct understudy. (nevermind sacrificing one of the other key figures there) Gerrard and Carragher et al are not the ones to take up the reins..in an ideal world.  As for Riise, for my money he is displaying his usual level of defending..in that it is plainly 'unspectacular' at best, profligate at worst... He does a spirited job, its true..Though 'hollywood' goals aside, his employ at left-back (has done) and will continue to, allow glimmers of hope to opposing attacking forwards. (Reliable - sort of. Dependable - almost)  In summary..not enough from Riise for me, when considering the role he is expected to fill presently.  In no way am i advocating his sale, for i believe him to be excellent 'cover'...even for Left - midfield, which is where his strengths lie tbh.  So in the FB's case then, yes replacements are necessary. Certainly decent 'cover' remains a glaring void for SF's position. Accounting for the 'rumoured' departure of Warnock and Paletta, even more so.

Wide men...im going to allow myself the luxury of imagining JP as a viable option on the Right. (Until the heavens open with copious quantities of transfer funds) Which is a highly debatable path along which to place the optimistic 'eggs' of your hopes upon...at least until the details of any takeover are announced.  To me he is gradually easing his way into the ethic.  And though far from the finished article, has, in fairness improved by quite some measure of late. (better 'lift' on those deliveries though..and a touch more zest to his demeanor/vitality wouldnt go amiss either) At times he appears 'very' lacksadaisical.

MG, will struggle to stake his claim in the PREM, until he acquires the Physical authority and confidence (perhaps through that blessing) of bringing something more effectively decisive to the table than he has done in the league.  Champions league may be his best stage for now.  This season at least...I would treat him sparingly, although i do have hopes for him, its difficult to envisage the fruits of his labour affecting the side in a Major way at this rate.
The return of Harry Kewell, would solve all MY concerns, on reflection. Though again, whether he does infact feature this campaign with any significance is also yet to transpire.. A fit Kewell would preclude ANY argument for the place of Gonzalez...and i too didnt expect to be saying that, going on prior expectations alone.

Like you say, Luis Garcia is a versatile piece to the puzzle and looked dangerous when he came on. (i think he too has 'beefed up' a bit better) and perhaps now, has found a bit more substance for the debate over his inclusion. Put it this way, Kewell, Garcia and Aurelio (maybe Riise as another option) is enough for Left Midfield - without further upset of the apple cart.  Right mid i think we can cope with too. But 'only' if that doesnt mean the sacrifice made centrally...We either stick Gerrard out there, with comprehensive replacements in CM, or....Pennant 'up's his  ante' quite a bit further, in making the whole debate null and void at all.

In light of that, the Full-backs must offer more (of course within that system) Whether that IS infact down to the replacement of, or by an improvement in JAR's stock. And we have had ample time with him, in assessing those merits over the years...will im sure reveal its course.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:51 pm

Eat that Fat f*cking Sam, you rotund pie-gobbling b*stard!

Great performance from the lads, and it's nice to see Pennant showing something like top form.

I've slated him, but if he plays like that every week, I'll happily admit I was wrong.

Good to see Kuyt and Crouch on the scoresheet aswell. Dirk was f*cking phenominal today.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:54 pm

Even better! The BITTERS are 2:1 down  :laugh:

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:59 pm

red37 wrote:
aCe' wrote:
red37 wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:

Pennant showed today that he is definitley good enough for this club, most of his problems are mental I feel, namely confidence. Gonzo on the other hand I'm not sure about.

im inclined to say Pennant improved quite a bit as the second half wore on. As for MG - I still maintain, with a bit more 'oomph' to his physique he might well find a little more confidence naturally. Then who knows, the rest of his 'game' might well reveal itself a shade more significantly than it has done so far.  All said and done though...a much needed and well executed 3 points in the end.  But for me, the areas we need to highlight are still, the flanks. Both Full back and wide midfield positions warrant attention. Because the greater majority of our play has become focused on the supply from these positions...either the delivery is lacking in the first place (on several occasions), or the lack of support from the full-backs is shortcoming in supporting that. You can almost sense the trepidation in relinquishing their posts for fear of reprisal..its palpable at times. There should be no excuse...but because the CM are entrusting quite a fair proportion of the fulcrum of attack - to the wide men....(Which is what the side was crying out for last term) the Full backs are insecure about trusting them to hang on to the ball because of the flaws we've become accustomed to;  so you perhaps have to allow some licence there for their cautionary approach. In any case it is a hindrance to an otherwise solid looking unit that is starting to gel effectively. It could well yet evolve into an even better one.  I think its become clear why Gerrard was utilised on the Right of midfield, when you consider the limitations i have identified. Lets just hope that it remains difficult for the manager to go back to that scenario once Sissoko is fit again, for i feel it is HE that should take the place on the bench for a while. And instead continue with the same 'core' in CM. If JP does eventually find some form, of which several glimpses were shown today that few doubted him capable of,  yet many have witnessed to date. We might well be looking at a positive outcome at the close of this season.  Two decent Fullbacks and cover in CM, perhaps a 'Finisher' are all this club needs IMO.  3 well taken goals without reply today it has to be said...Another positive there then (the GD column).  Looking good for me....At least its looking BETTER!

Riise i have to agree with... been poor this season despite the good display in todays game... But what about Finnan?
Used to laugh off the comments of him being the best right fullback in the prem. but now im starting to think otherwise !
I do agree that we can improve BOTH our fullbacks but atm..id settle for a decent Riise replacement.

What about our wingers ?
Pennant looked good today and definitely seems to have it in him.. Kewell is injured and only god knows when hes available and fit... gonzales is a joke ... and L.Garcia is a great sub.

A 'finisher'...i absolutely agree with... Bellamy pairing up with a great finisher... with either Kuyt or Crouchie on the bench would be brilliant...

2 decent Full-backs,  as in investment through their replacements (especially considering the age of Finnan) Who remains the only senior member of the side without a direct understudy. (nevermind sacrificing one of the other key figures there) Gerrard and Carragher et al are not the ones to take up the reins..in an ideal world.  As for Riise, for my money he is displaying his usual level of defending..in that it is plainly 'unspectacular' at best, profligate at worst... He does a spirited job, its true..Though 'hollywood' goals aside, his employ at left-back (has done) and will continue to, allow glimmers of hope to opposing attacking forwards. (Reliable - sort of. Dependable - almost)  In summary..not enough from Riise for me, when considering the role he is expected to fill presently.  In no way am i advocating his sale, for i believe him to be excellent 'cover'...even for Left - midfield, which is where his strengths lie tbh.  So in the FB's case then, yes replacements are necessary. Certainly decent 'cover' remains a glaring void for SF's position. Accounting for the 'rumoured' departure of Warnock and Paletta, even more so.

Wide men...im going to allow myself the luxury of imagining JP as a viable option on the Right. (Until the heavens open with copious quantities of transfer funds) Which is a highly debatable path along which to place the optimistic 'eggs' of your hopes upon...at least until the details of any takeover are announced.  To me he is gradually easing his way into the ethic.  And though far from the finished article, has, in fairness improved by quite some measure of late. (better 'lift' on those deliveries though..and a touch more zest to his demeanor/vitality wouldnt go amiss either) At times he appears 'very' lacksadaisical.

MG, will struggle to stake his claim in the PREM, until he acquires the Physical authority and confidence (perhaps through that blessing) of bringing something more effectively decisive to the table than he has done in the league.  Champions league may be his best stage for now.  This season at least...I would treat him sparingly, although i do have hopes for him, its difficult to envisage the fruits of his labour affecting the side in a Major way at this rate.
The return of Harry Kewell, would solve all MY concerns, on reflection. Though again, whether he does infact feature this campaign with any significance is also yet to transpire.. A fit Kewell would preclude ANY argument for the place of Gonzalez...and i too didnt expect to be saying that, going on prior expectations alone.

Like you say, Luis Garcia is a versatile piece to the puzzle and looked dangerous when he came on. (i think he too has 'beefed up' a bit better) and perhaps now, has found a bit more substance for the debate over his inclusion. Put it this way, Kewell, Garcia and Aurelio (maybe Riise as another option) is enough for Left Midfield - without further upset of the apple cart.  Right mid i think we can cope with too. But 'only' if that doesnt mean the sacrifice made centrally...We either stick Gerrard out there, with comprehensive replacements in CM, or....Pennant 'up's his  ante' quite a bit further, in making the whole debate null and void at all.

In light of that, the Full-backs must offer more (of course within that system) Whether that IS infact down to the replacement of, or by an improvement in JAR's stock. And we have had ample time with him, in assessing those merits over the years...will im sure reveal its course.

care to mention any names that might interest you ?!
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:01 pm

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I love them!! :D
66-1120597113

Postby aCe' » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:01 pm

Reading 6-0 West Ham....
hah....what is up with West Ham ?!
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:02 pm

aCe' wrote:Reading 6-0 West Ham....
hah....what is up with West Ham ?!

They're sh*t.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:03 pm

aCe' wrote:
red37 wrote:
aCe' wrote:
red37 wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:

What about our wingers ?

:laugh:  ill leave that to those who know what they're up to - Namely Rafa!  certainly room for improvement though...

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:07 pm

red37 wrote:
aCe' wrote:
red37 wrote:
aCe' wrote:
red37 wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:

What about our wingers ?

:laugh:  ill leave that to those who know what they're up to - Namely Rafa!  certainly room for improvement though...

hehe...yea....that sounds promising...hehe
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:14 pm

aCe' wrote:
red37 wrote:
aCe' wrote:
red37 wrote:
aCe' wrote:
red37 wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:

What about our wingers ?

hehe...yea....that sounds promising...hehe

We'll have to consult the Welsh Wizard for that..... :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:34 pm

Superb stuff there today, and the atmosphere was a lot better too, especially the Anny road, which goes hand in hand I suppose.

Hyypia was immense and looked like he could play all day without being troubled, Finnan had the bit between his teeth from the off, Alonso and Gerrard kept thinks ticking over well, Crouch and Kuyt were both industrious and creative. I think the major positive from that match though is undoubtably the fact that Pennant was possibly man of the match and really looked somewhere near the player we wanted when we bought him. It's amazing what a difference it makes when he gets a bit of confidence; he was going past people, drawing bookings, getting good crosses in...brilliant.

The one thing that narked me was Gonzalez being taken off...why? We were well on top and with the crowd buzzing and we take off a player who is still settling and could do with a good game to get his confidence up. He wasn't involved enough I accept but the only way we'll see if he's good enough long-term is if he's given a chance; what better time that the last half an hour today?

Overall it was the best performance I've seen from us this year. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion