LIVERPOOL VS WEST HAM UNITED - All the build up and reaction here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lfcwonderboy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:13 pm

i have just found kuyt highlights on www.lfcland.tk
lfcwonderboy

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:16 pm

Everton are 1-0 against Spurs. They could end up 2nd in the league.
48-1119859832

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:17 pm

lfcwonderboy wrote:i have just found kuyt highlights on www.lfcland.tk

Post the link to the page.
48-1119859832

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:20 pm

Everton have just gone one up to the spuds :(
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:22 pm

0asis wrote:Everton are 1-0 against Spurs. They could end up 2nd in the league.

I am not in the slightest bit surprised you think they could end up 2nd after the second game of the season  :D
66-1112520797

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:23 pm

Bamaga man wrote:

I am not in the slightest bit surprised you think they could end up 2nd after the second game of the season  :D

I was referring to the fact that they could be 2nd when all the matches are played today.
48-1119859832

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:28 pm

0asis wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

I was referring to the fact that they could be 2nd when all the matches are played today.

Yeah I know  :D

I hope only beating WH 2-1 wasnt to embarrasing for you today.

:kungfu:
66-1112520797

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:34 pm

It wasn't a performance of potential Champions, but it will do, it's three points, so I can't grumble.
48-1119859832

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:38 pm

the bitters are 2-0 up now  :(
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:36 pm

Well 3 points but not exactly comfortable. Today I wasn't comfortable with Pepe in goal. He dealt with Zamora's cross terribly. You could tell even the defenders weren't comfortable when sami headed away a ball Pepe called for him to leave. But I'm sure Pepe can overcome this blip, he is a good keeper.

Garcia was not in the game today and of course when he was in he gave the ball away. Crouch was playing badly up until he scored, he took his goal very well and he is gaining more and more confidence. Sami's age looks to be showing, he is looking slow but still solid. Agger is getting better and better by the game and deserved his wonderful goal (I didn't think it had gone in for a few moments). Bellamy worked really hard and IMO his goal was onside from where I was sitting. Alonso and Gerrard were still not themselves, they are not imposing themselves enough on the game.

Aurelio looked good and was unlucky not to score with his free-kick which cracked off the woodwork.

From what I saw of Kuyt when he came on I was really pleased with. He has a huge jump on him when going up for headers and set up bellamy's disallowed goal. He had a few shots and looked confident. He made good runs and showed he has got a bit of pace on him aswell. He deserved a goal.

I thought the referee had a bad game, not booking konchesky for hacking down pennant in the first half because he played advantage was awful. Then he gave a yellow to one of our players for a nothing challenge. We should have had a penalty in the second half, the west ham defender basically grabbed bellamy round the neck and hyypia got his shirt nearly took off him.

We still need to improve but you cannot grumble with 3 points.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:53 pm

A good performance and a great result for our first home game.

The positives for me were:

1) Kuyt--as billed a very hard worker and he really deserved a goal for the spaces he created and the awareness he showed.  Well impressed today but we'll see how he adapts long-term.

2) Agger--a wonder strike after a great surge forward was the highlight but he was also very solid at the back.  This kid has great potential!

3) Crouch & Garcia--these two work well together and create chances for one another and today's goal was no different.  Great vision by Stevie to set Garcia up at the edge of the box and what a deft touch to Crouch, who still had it all to do but did so well to round Carroll and slot home cooly through Ferdinand's legs...simply a great piece of team football

4) Pennant & Finnan--I thought they started to show signs of a good awareness down the right.  It was a tough game for both as Bowyer was obviously briefed to track back as much as possible.  Nonetheless, both were lively and got some good crosses in.  Pennant even cut infield with the ball on several occasions, although the killer pass eluded him.

5) Bellamy--he looked a picture of frustration by the end (although, from my perspective, the linesman was spot on for all of the offside calls) but his poaching instincts were there to be seen.  Had he sprung the offside trap just once in the second half, the game would have been done and dusted early.  He's going to give a lot of defenders nightmares this season, especially as he starts timing his runs to precision and the service to him down the channels improves from CM.

The negatives...

1) Their goal--Aurelio (I think) got caught infield, allowing the pass out to Zamora in the first place and then Pepe got caught out by another West Ham classic cross/shot.  It was flukey (like Konchesky's last May) but Reina really should have done better.  To his credit, he bounced right back and did not look at all tentative for the rest of the match, which is one thing I love about the lad.

2) Gonzales--some people are suggesting Luis had a so-so game but I thought our left side looked much more vulnerable today when Gonzales came on.  He gave the ball away in our own half a couple of times late on (heart-in-throat stuff that we usually expect from Garcia) and he didn't seem to be quite on the same wavelength with Kuyt, Bellamy and Aurelio going forward.  Let's hope he'll settle in a bit more quickly after the international break and stay focused out there.

3) Alonso and Gerrard--neither had particularly poor games in my book, mind you, and I thought they actually dove-tailed well together today in CM.  However, both looked a bit jaded by the end and neither were as crisp with their passing, movement and tackling as we've come to expect.  Gerrard, did look the brighter, with some great balls out to Pennant, Garcia and Kuyt, but he still looked somewhat average by his lofty standards.  Xabi is clearly not yet fit but I've every confidence that he'll get back to his best as he plays more games.

4) The Zenden substitution--Pennant was clearly knackered on the right and I know we don't have as many options from the bench due to injuries these days but, come on!  Moving Gerrard wide right and bringing Zenden into the middle just encouraged West Ham to control the ball and threaten an equalizer.  They were already gaining an upper hand with possession and marginalizing Stevie--as tired as he was--didn't help.  Plus, Zenden gave away two silly free kicks in dangerous areas.

All in all, though, I'm happy with the 3 points (duh!) and with the fact that we saw evidence of more coherence on the pitch today.  The new lads seem to be bedding in well and understandings are starting to be forged.  Once this international break is over with and we get a run of games, we'll really see an upturn in the fluidity of our play.  An encouraging day, from where I'm sat! :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby davo_LFC » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:17 pm

I thought we played some good stuff today, and kuyt was highly impressive, they had a go in the second half but did you just expect them to lay down and die, they are certainly no mugs and we deserved the win. They didnt really put us under too much pressure apart from the bowyer chance and we could have scored a few more. Aggers goal was a belter :D emlyn hughes effort that was.

Good 3 points and we're not quite 100% yet but that will come, hopefully in the derby. Reina at fault for the first but at least he didnt let it affect him like it would some keepers, he still came for crosses and that what i like about the fella, when he irons them mistakes out which to be fair he doesnt make very often then he will be truly world-class if he isnt already which i think he is.

Like adam said i think the ref was shockin, he gave us fu.ck all the fat little sh.it and his linesman must of been :censored:-eyed
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby MaccaLFC » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:16 pm

Get in lads. Thought we started off well but when they scored we went flat for 10-15 minutes, before picking it up again. Thought Agger was superb, not just his goal, his whole performance.

Kuyt was quality, wanted the ball all the time, would have been nice for him to bag one but i'm sure that'l come vs the bitters.

...& City beat Arsenal...:D
Der der der der der der der derrr!
MaccaLFC

Postby onizukaeikichi » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:05 pm

IMO kuyt was impressive, aurelio looks much more better than some of his game as he aids our attack a lot, gonzales still havent impressed me but i have high hopes for him. GOddamn the linesman, kuyt and bellamy could have scored today :(

lucky zamora :angry:
onizukaeikichi

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:36 pm

What is it about Pepe and West Ham? :D

Still,although we're still not firing on all cylinders as yet we got that all important first win under our belts.

Have to admit I was very impressed with Kuyt,his movement & link up play were excellent,more of the same please! :)

Garcia was Garcia,fluffs a couple of chances and gave the ball away but credit to the little fella for setting up Crouchie's goal.

Daniel Agger,what a prospect,a cracker of a goal,shades of a Mr Alan Hansen??

Now that the Bitters are second,don't say the Rafa Beneathus chant will be starting up again? ????
Gracias King Rafa

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion