If you were Peter Crouch, would you sign? - New contract for Crouch..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:35 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
RedBlood wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:I wanted Yakubu when he was at Pompey or Defoe before he went to Pompey in January. Both have proven in the last couple of months they can score in this division whereas Villa is a huge gamble.

david villa is no gamble mate, hes a great player on torres's level

So was Morientes apparently. So was Forlan. So was Mutu and Crespo. So was Wiltord.

A players ability abroad doesn't mean they're suited to the english game. Any signing is a gamble and a risk, especially ones from abroad coming with a huge reputation like Villa would be.

Torres came from abroad and carried a big reputation, has he been a failure?

(I'm just using your flawed logic you see)

Wasn't the point that just because a player is good abroad doesn't mean they'll be good in England? he didn't say that if you are good abroad you won't be good in England?

The dutch league must be sh!te if Kuyt was a top forward there. Cisse was diabolical but must have been rated in France.

Morientes is as good as many players that play well in England but he just isn't suited to the physical fast game - in the same way Mark Hughes couldn't play in Spain.

Buying a forward who is proven in the premiership is obviously less of a risk than buying a forward from a foreign league.
Last edited by Big Niall on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:13 pm

Big Niall wrote:Buying a forward who is proven in the premiership is obviously less of a risk than buying a forward from a foreign league.

Yeah, just ask Spurs fans how much value for money Darren Bent has been  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:32 pm

He wasn't a risk, just a really overpriced player on the back of one good season.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:43 pm

Big Niall wrote:He wasn't a risk, just a really overpriced player on the back of one good season.

Not sure i get your logic.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:05 pm

I just mean that I always knew he wasn't a top player and so did everyone I know. I think the wiff of an England cap probably added a few quid to the fee.

To me, he was never a gamble but a guaranteed failure. Kind of like when our fool ex manager Houllier bought Heskey.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:30 pm

Big Niall wrote:I just mean that I always knew he wasn't a top player and so did everyone I know. I think the wiff of an England cap probably added a few quid to the fee.

To me, he was never a gamble but a guaranteed failure. Kind of like when our fool ex manager Houllier bought Heskey.

I disagree tbh, Bent had done well in the championship in the England u21's and then in the premiership.
I personally didnt fancy him but there were loads that did, and if he moved to another premiership side he may do really well again, he is a decent player.
Its always a gamble when you sign a big money striker imo, whether they have played in the premiership or if they are english.
By the way i thought Heskey was a good signing at the time and he had a very good first season when we won the treble, i would rather have him now than Kuyt or Voronin as well.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:42 pm

Big Niall wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
RedBlood wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:I wanted Yakubu when he was at Pompey or Defoe before he went to Pompey in January. Both have proven in the last couple of months they can score in this division whereas Villa is a huge gamble.

So was Morientes apparently. So was Forlan. So was Mutu and Crespo. So was Wiltord.

A players ability abroad doesn't mean they're suited to the english game. Any signing is a gamble and a risk, especially ones from abroad coming with a huge reputation like Villa would be.

Wasn't the point that just because a player is good abroad doesn't mean they'll be good in England? he didn't say that if you are good abroad you won't be good in England?

I was taking the p!ss, because GBJH often makes replies like that.

However to answer your point. Equally, a player's ability in the Premiership at a lesser club is no gurantee they'll be a success at a club of our stature. Craig Bellamy did well at Blackburn, but he wasn't quite good enough to make the grade with us. He was decent but nothing more. It's no more of a risk going for someone from abroad. Players take time to settle irrespective of where they've come from.

GBJH's view has always been that we should go for someone from this country, because it's less of a risk than going for a foreign player. I'm saying, it is NO less a risk if that player has the ability required, and that their ability is suited to the Premiership.

I find it laughable that David Villa can be considered too great a risk, with GBJH suggesting we should opt for the likes of Benni Mccarthy, because he's 'proven' in England. The fact is he's not 'proven' at our level, he's old, not particularly mobile and simply not good enough if we want to be challenging for titles.

Buying a forward who is proven in the premiership is obviously less of a risk than buying a forward from a foreign league.

If you can name me a player proven at the top level in the Premiership, who would be a feasible signing, please name them.
LFC2007

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:54 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Big Niall wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
RedBlood wrote:

I was taking the p!ss, because GBJH often makes replies like that.

However to answer your point. Equally, a player's ability in the Premiership at a lesser club is no gurantee they'll be a success at a club of our stature. Craig Bellamy did well at Blackburn, but he wasn't quite good enough to make the grade with us. He was decent but nothing more. It's no more of a risk going for someone from abroad. Players take time to settle irrespective of where they've come from.

GBJH's view has always been that we should go for someone from this country, because it's less of a risk than going for a foreign player. I'm saying, it is NO less a risk if that player has the ability required, and that their ability is suited to the Premiership.

I find it laughable that David Villa can be considered too great a risk, with GBJH suggesting we should opt for the likes of Benni Mccarthy, because he's 'proven' in England. The fact is he's not 'proven' at our level, he's old, not particularly mobile and simply not good enough if we want to be challenging for titles.

If you can name me a player proven at our level in the Premiership, who would be a feasible signing, please name them.

Robbie Keane   , Didier Drogba , Tevez , Berbatov , just a few  :D
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:55 pm

Keane is the only feasible signing there, and he's not proven at the top level.
LFC2007

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:58 pm

Liverpool could make shock signing very soon
Posted by Brant Parsons on Mar 5, 2008 3:44:00 AM

A quick raise of hands to anyone reading who thought that Peter Crouch would be staying at Anfield beyond this season?

I'll admit, I'm one of the ones that felt the lanky striker would move on elsewhere because he seemed desperate for more first team football and he wasn't going to get it at Liverpool. This was made somewhat evident in statements made by Crouch early on about the important of playing regularly. With Fernando Torres and Dirk Kuyt in front of him and overtures from Manchester City and Portsmouth, it made sense to me that Crouch would be on his way out.

Instead, it seems the England international is ready to gut it out on Merseyside and sign an extension to stay with the Reds. We've discussed this a little in the past week, but now it seems a deal could happen much quicker than some may have expected.

Rafa Benitez addressed the situation.

You never know, but I think they could be done soon. Rick Parry [the Liverpool chief executive] told me Peter's agent wanted to talk to him about a new contract. This was one month ago or more.

I think this shows Crouch's commitment to Liverpool more than anything. He won't get regular first-team football under Rafa (for a variety of reasons), but I think Crouch sees the future of the club getting brighter and wants to stay on board for the ride. He's proven to be a quality change of pace off the bench and has performed well during his occasional starts.

If the deal does go through and he stays, it will be a great testament to the kind of teammate Peter Crouch is. And the kind of Liverpool player.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_....ld.html
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:59 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Keane is the only feasible signing there, and he's not proven at the top level.

He was playing well when at leeds as i rmb they amde it to the champiosn league and were a top side when they were run by o leary . Very difficult to beat , One more name i'll throw would be the recently signed pompey striker Jermaine defore , fast , Skillfull , very good finisher , proven and adapted to the premier league
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:45 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Keane is the only feasible signing there, and he's not proven at the top level.

He was playing well when at leeds as i rmb they amde it to the champiosn league and were a top side when they were run by o leary . Very difficult to beat , One more name i'll throw would be the recently signed pompey striker Jermaine defore , fast , Skillfull , very good finisher , proven and adapted to the premier league

He hardly played for Leeds ffs! He had a good spell on loan, before having an average period with them after a permanent deal was made. He isn't proven at the top level. Jermaine Defoe isn't proven at the top level either.
LFC2007

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:54 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:

He hardly played for Leeds ffs! He had a good spell on loan, before having an average period with them after a permanent deal was made. He isn't proven at the top level. Jermaine Defoe isn't proven at the top level either.

He did well in his first few seasons at spurs . Defoe i mean
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:59 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:

Irrelevant.
LFC2007

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:36 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:

Irrelevant.

SPurs have always been in the top 6 and have gotten results against top sides

Disclaimer this was when jol took over up till this season ****
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion