Peter crouch. - I know it's early but........

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:41 pm

Thinking back to the summer I don't think anyone can seriously sit there and say they weren't surprised when we were linked to Crouch, I certainly was.  I had seen him several times last season, and while he always impressed when I saw him, I still had several reservations.

He had been at many clubs and not really fitted in.  Both Spurs and Villa had written him off early in his career.  In fact he was pretty poor at Villa, yet he seemed to do better for smaller clubs such as Pompey and Southampton, I worried he might have been a player that mentally can't hack it at bigger clubs and I thought he'd struggle at Liverpool at least initially, and he did.  For all the clubs he had been at he had only really excelled for one half of a premiership season at Southampton, would it be a flash in the pan James Beattie style?

I also had reservations about the 7 million fee.  I couldn't really see him becoming the number 1 striker at the club.  A player for the tough away prem games I thought and 7 million for a squad player unless you're Chelsea is madness.  Nevertheless I always thought he'd be worth a shot at around 3 million. 

I'll eat my words now though, the boy is now the number 1 striker at the club in my opinion.  He brings a hell of a lot to the team and now goals on top of that.  If he carries on his current form for the rest of the season then 7 million will have been a bargain, I'm extremely happy to have been proved wrong on Crouch.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:44 pm

john craig wrote:Thinking back to the summer I don't think anyone can seriously sit there and say they weren't surprised when we were linked to Crouch, I certainly was.  I had seen him several times last season, and while he always impressed when I saw him, I still had several reservations.

He had been at many clubs and not really fitted in.  Both Spurs and Villa had written him off early in his career.  In fact he was pretty poor at Villa, yet he seemed to do better for smaller clubs such as Pompey and Southampton, I worried he might have been a player that mentally can't hack it at bigger clubs and I thought he'd struggle at Liverpool at least initially, and he did.  For all the clubs he had been at he had only really excelled for one half of a premiership season at Southampton, would it be a flash in the pan David Beattie style?

I also had reservations about the 7 million fee.  I couldn't really see him becoming the number 1 striker at the club.  A player for the tough away prem games I thought and 7 million for a squad player unless you're Chelsea is madness.  Nevertheless I always thought he'd be worth a shot at around 3 million. 

I'll eat my words now though, the boy is now the number 1 striker at the club in my opinion.  He brings a hell of a lot to the team and now goals on top of that.  If he carries on his current form for the rest of the season then 7 million will have been a bargain, I'm extremely happy to have been proved wrong on Crouch.

Ditto John Ditto
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bunnyman7 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:22 am

I must admit that I wasn't a fun but Peter performances so far are fantastic!!!! He is extemely usefull for the club and he gives us many alternatives. Carry on Pter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Bunnyman7

Postby Sabre » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:02 am

Time to nail your colours to the mast. Who is happy with what they posted about Crouch before we signed him? Anybody feeling full after some Crimbo turkey, along with a big dose of humble pie, because it can't be only me who thinks we are about to have the last laugh on the football world as far as Peter Crouch is concerned.

Good post bigmick.

I had several thoughts about Crouch along the time. He was quite unknown to me when he was signed. I thought that the normal starting eleven would be Cisse Morientes upfront. Some pointed out me then : " you forget about Crouch ??? " (1)

And I just thought to myself that he was too early to expect so much from him.

Then the super drought, of lack of goals came. Fortunately I don't use to read the cr.ap that said the english press about him. Oportunist basts. It was quite sad for me seeing that that :censored: actually had some impact in this forum, many where bashing Crouch (2).  In that drought of goals, I defended him, because he convinced me. He indeed had good build up play, and both you and me talked that "nosense" to defend him IIRC :laugh: , it's not nosense, although I agree goals are important. At that time, he really convinced me. The movements were good, he failed chances, but was in the correct place to fail them. It was a matter of time, and so I said. I also must admit, that I expected him to explode next season, but perhaps, I was wrong on that.

He might explode this season. And I'd be bloody happy for that. :)

Sabre

(1) I don't know who, probably good old A.B or Drummerphil, both appreciated

(2) Although later on, many of the regulars "egged"- defended - took care of Crouch and cheered him.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheoRacle » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:59 am

Had to laugh... over on the Bluesh.te forum they're arguing over who's better for England, Crouch or Beattie and I came across this post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cyan1 wrote:
bluepeter wrote:

The Freak is a poor mans Duncan playing wise he does not do one thing better than him and would look really, really bad in our side at the moment.

Unfortunately that would still be an improvement as everybody else in our side looks fkn atrocious at the moment!
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion