DANIEL AGGER - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby fivecups » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:50 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:41 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:29 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:17 pm wrote:This is the same Daniel Agger who possibly gave one of the best defensive displays I have seen at Anfield when he put Drogba squarely in his back pocket in the Champions League semi final...If anything he's more equipped than most to deal with powerhouse strikers.

Carroll is maybe the best header of a ball in world football though mate, I think Danny would have his hands full with him myself, I'd rather we went with Sakho. Pointless having a colossus sitting on the bench while West Ham are launching the ball towards our box all game.

I think Rodgers should just leave it as it is ,because regardless of who lines up against Carroll  its going to be the longest 90 mins of their respective lives.
As you say in the air Carroll is a nightmare to stop ,but bringing in Sakho after such a lengthy absence is a huge gamble ,and he will need to find his feet
first mate.

I honestly believe when the need for a titanic performance is this essential then Agger has it in his locker to quell the threat West Ham and Carroll bring.

I'd be amazed if Rodgers changes the back 5, we're finally showing some semblance of consistency and balance. Confidence is high and Mignolet seems to have settled down a bit. Sakho cannot be match fit at this stage, I'd have him on the bench for sure but nothing else.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:06 pm

I dunno lads, I just remember Carroll shredding big Soto (who was a tough lad) and Skrtel up at St. James when he played for Newcastle and I remember his performances in a red shirt against the likes of John Terry and Ivanovic for us, all of those CB's are far more physical and robust than Agger and Carroll wiped the floor with them. John Terry called him unplayable.
He'll be fired up big time for this one as well, he was devastated when Brendan showed him the door here and what better way to get his own back on Brendan than to throw a spanner into our title hopes?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:07 pm

fivecups » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:50 pm wrote:
I'd be amazed if Rodgers changes the back 5, we're finally showing some semblance of consistency and balance. Confidence is high and Mignolet seems to have settled down a bit. Sakho cannot be match fit at this stage, I'd have him on the bench for sure but nothing else.

My thinking precisely ,Agger's last two games have been comfortably his best displays since his return to our back line.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:13 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:06 pm wrote:I dunno lads, I just remember Carroll shredding big Soto (who was a tough lad) and Skrtel up at St. James when he played for Newcastle and I remember his performances in a red shirt against the likes of John Terry and Ivanovic for us, all of those CB's are far more physical and robust than Agger and Carroll wiped the floor with them. John Terry called him unplayable.
He'll be fired up big time for this one as well, he was devastated when Brendan showed him the door here and what better way to get his own back on Brendan than to throw a spanner into our title hopes?

I suppose its dependant on the extent we limit the Hammerz time on the ball ,if we press hard enough in a similar vein to  Spudz away ,I think we could
more than stifle the supply to West Hams most potent threat.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:25 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:06 pm wrote:I dunno lads, I just remember Carroll shredding big Soto (who was a tough lad) and Skrtel up at St. James when he played for Newcastle and I remember his performances in a red shirt against the likes of John Terry and Ivanovic for us, all of those CB's are far more physical and robust than Agger and Carroll wiped the floor with them. John Terry called him unplayable.

Unplayable is right. Just saw him yesterday, he's a freaking monster in the air. I doubt even Sakho could handle him. Luckily he's still a donkey with his feet, so best we can do is deny them the opportunity to cross and they shouldn't be able to score. I'd still have Sakho in though, just in case. I'm sure he's fit enough to do a job.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:53 pm

damjan193 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:25 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:06 pm wrote:I dunno lads, I just remember Carroll shredding big Soto (who was a tough lad) and Skrtel up at St. James when he played for Newcastle and I remember his performances in a red shirt against the likes of John Terry and Ivanovic for us, all of those CB's are far more physical and robust than Agger and Carroll wiped the floor with them. John Terry called him unplayable.

Unplayable is right. Just saw him yesterday, he's a freaking monster in the air. I doubt even Sakho could handle him. Luckily he's still a donkey with his feet, so best we can do is deny them the opportunity to cross and they shouldn't be able to score. I'd still have Sakho in though, just in case. I'm sure he's fit enough to do a job.

Whoever plays at CB I think we'll just have to accept that Carroll is going to win a lot of headers so we have to make sure our defenders/midfielders are on their toes and win the second ball. Nolan has perfected the art of playing off Carroll's knock downs and flick on's so we'll have to watch him.
Diame always seems to do well against us too, he always seems to have at least one mazy run where he beats 4 or 5 of our players and then let's fly with a speculative shot every time he plays us.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Sun May 11, 2014 2:08 pm

Anyone else thinking this might be Agger's final match for us today ?
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun May 11, 2014 4:31 pm

cardiff-red » Sun May 11, 2014 1:08 pm wrote:Anyone else thinking this might be Agger's final match for us today ?

Sadly yes. Anyone who thinks he's not our best cb by a country mile is both blind and stupid. Unfortunately it seems that our manager falls into these catagories on this topic. :(

Sakho isn't fit to lace his boots.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun May 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Lando_Griffin » Sun May 11, 2014 3:31 pm wrote:
cardiff-red » Sun May 11, 2014 1:08 pm wrote:Anyone else thinking this might be Agger's final match for us today ?

Sadly yes. Anyone who thinks he's not our best cb by a country mile is both blind and stupid. Unfortunately it seems that our manager falls into these catagories on this topic. :(

Agger's made of glass and isn't consistent enough for us anymore. Everytime he hits form, he gets injured again, and again, and again....if there's a big offer in the wings, then take it and bring in someone else, because we desperately need to strengthen the defence.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun May 11, 2014 8:13 pm

He must stay. He's our vice-captain FFS. He's got great leadership and he's the most vocal and best organizer among Skrtel, Sakho and Toure.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby only me » Sun May 11, 2014 8:59 pm

Lando_Griffin » Sun May 11, 2014 3:31 pm wrote:

The Problem is that if Sakho ties his lace a bit too tight his ankles will break...CB's should be made of steel not of glass..Daniel is still a promise not met.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed May 21, 2014 6:36 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9318103/premier-league-liverpools-daniel-agger-not-thinking-of-future-but-voices-frustration

Daniel Agger has told the Danish press of his frustration at not playing in some of Liverpool's key games but says he is not currently thinking about his future.

Centre-back Agger struggled to hold on to a regular starting role at Anfield this season and was left on the substitutes' bench for the crucial Premier League fixtures against Manchester City and Chelsea last month.

Quoted by Ekstra Bladet in his native Denmark, Agger has now admitted that he does not appear to be rated highly enough by boss Brendan Rodgers and stressed that he does not want to be considered as just a back-up option.

However, he says he is not considering his future at the current time and wants to focus on international duty before having a summer break.

Asked how it felt to miss out on the games against Chelsea and City, Agger is quoted as saying: "It definitely wasn't great. But I don't make the decisions. I think it is because the manager doesn't think that I'm good enough."

Questioned on whether he would be at Liverpool next season, Agger added: "I don't know. That's up to the manager. I can't go and put myself on the team sheet."

Agger started 16 Premier League games last season and made substitute appearances in four more fixtures.

Asked if he could live with being third choice in the Liverpool hierarchy, the 29-year-old said: "No, I'm no one's third choice.

"I'm not thinking about my future. Now my focus is on the next international games with Denmark and then I'm looking forward to a long five-week holiday.

"My body and my mind needs to relax."

Agger joined Liverpool from Brondby in January 2006 in a £6million deal. He signed a long-term contract extension at the club in October 2012.

Its looking increasingly likely that the season just gone will be this classy and cultured defenders last in a reds shirt
I think being usurped by the nightmare inducing Sakho could have been the last straw ,I personally feel it will be an
absolute travesty if we lose Daniel Agger  as he's quite simply a wonderful player.  :(       
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:49 pm

It looks more and more likely that he'll be off. It's a real shame that we never tried a Sakho-Agger partnership though. They're both left footed but that shouldn't have been a reason. Couldn't have been any worse than what we already had anyway. Those two are our 2 best defenders and we should have tried to partner them.

Anyway, Agger is an injury prone player, so he spends a good part of the season on the sidelines. He also takes a good amount of time to get back into form after he gets back from injury, so I can understand why Brendan wants to sell him. However, I would only sell him at a good price, no lower than 12 million pounds (we should ask for 15).
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed May 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Skrtel and Agger are the best two CB we have. Sakho is the weakest. Excluding toure

Agger problem is he simply cannot stay fit. We have to replace him solely to have a viable rotation option.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu May 22, 2014 9:05 am

Thing with Agger is he looks so silky smooth on the ball that he appears better than he is (for the prem). His weaknesses are however he is not that fast or strong as he gets easily muscled off the ball when faced with a strong attacker, I'd also question his heading ability. He is an excellent player that never really lived up to his potential I would say mainly due to his inability to stay fit for a long period. Sakho is much bigger, stronger, faster so I see why the manager chooses him. I think Agger is a better player but Sakho is a better athlete  and in the prem that is more important. Sakho is more an English type defender and Agger is more a continental type defender. Agger is a great player but due to injuries never really reached where he could have. I think he would be great in the Spanish league where technical abilities for defenders are more important and much less physical. I hope he does not leave as he is a strong member of the squad but if he did I would like to see how he does at Barcelona as I think his stock would rise.

Next year however he would be a better option for CL matches as it suits his game more.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion