Daniel Agger

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:55 pm

Liverpool are closing in on the signing of Danish international defender Daniel Agger.

The European champions have already moved to bolster their rearguard in the January transfer window by agreeing a deal for Villarreal's Dutch full-back Jan Kromkamp.

And manager Rafael Benitez sees £5million Agger as the man to give him depth at centre-back.

The 21-year-old Brondby star was in the Denmark side that crushed England 4-1 in a friendly in Copenhagen last August.

A recent ankle injury has hampered his domestic season, but according to the Sunday Express Benitez is now close to winning the race to sign him.

The paper claims Rafa is making his move now because he could face competition for Agger's signature from a host of top European clubs in the summer.

Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyypia have been superb in anchoring a Liverpool back line that has conceded only one goal in their current run of 10 consecutive Premiership wins.

But the signings of Kromkamp and Agger would give them strength in depth as they bid to retain their Champions League crown and push Chelsea for the Premiership title.
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby BOODIDDY » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:03 pm

Not seen much of Agger but it always pleases me when we go for the more scandinavian defenders rather than the latin ones cos ability wise the latin ones have great composure but they dont like it ugly . Not all are like this but i just prefer the northern europeans
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:07 pm

Name a northern european player player better than Xabi.
115-1073096938

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:28 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Name a northern european player player better than Xabi.

steven gerrard

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:29 pm

Glenn Hysen.  :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby BOODIDDY » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:35 pm

xabi is good stu i  didnt say all latin are :censored: but the ones we were linked with didn't fill me with hope whereas agger and Kompany do. King would be my choice although he is gonna be too expensive.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:40 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:

to be fair to glenn i saw him have some excellent games.
i suppose he`s always linked with the period where our domination came to an end so he`ll always take a bit of stick.
he looked older than he actually was and i think the physicality of the prem shocked him but you could see he was very comfortable on the ball and i bet in his younger days he was an excellent centre half for fiorentina.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:42 pm

This may sound like a silly question, but Agger is able to play in the CL isn't he? Did Brondby get into any Uefa action this term? ???
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:48 pm

We don't have to rely exclusively on british fighters, scandinavian vikings or spanish conquistadors. We have to get a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Agger is a good player make no mistake and he has unlike that Vidic fella shown that he wants to play for us and no other team. That is the rafa mentality and committment so I would not be surprised if we sign him in the next 48 hours or so. I will be more surprised if we don't sign him.

He is described as a good ball playing defender, comfortable and secure on the ball and dominant in the air. His weaknesses are not that apparent, maybe a little lack of pace. But make no mistake, he ain't no Hyypia, his pace is closer to Carra than Hyypia.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:50 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:

to be fair to glenn i saw him have some excellent games.
i suppose he`s always linked with the period where our domination came to an end so he`ll always take a bit of stick.
he looked older than he actually was and i think the physicality of the prem shocked him but you could see he was very comfortable on the ball and i bet in his younger days he was an excellent centre half for fiorentina.

Yeah, he was comfortable on the ball, but it was when the opposition had it running towards him that he worried me.  :sniffle

I do take the point about Northern Europeans though - obviously there are a lot of exceptions, but for me it's clear that in the Italian leagues you do get players who are content to let their heads go down when things don't go their way. Then on the other hand you have Vikings like Riise who could be 12-0 down and would still run himself into the ground for the team.
ivor_the_injun

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:50 pm

yes they have they got knocked out in the 1st round
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:51 pm

All you ever talk about is Hyypia's lacks of pace. ???

Pace is :censored: all if you're a good player.

Sami's more than a good player.
115-1073096938

Postby A.B. » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:26 pm

Agger would be the ideal replacement for Hyypia in the future, and he's refused to extend his contract with Brondby. FFS he's already a Denmark international
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Kukilon » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:24 pm

Agger is awesome for his age. I have seen him play many times and I can honestly see him taking the spot from the all mighty Sami in one or two years.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:04 pm

Kukilon wrote:Agger is awesome for his age. I have seen him play many times and I can honestly see him taking the spot from the all mighty Sami in one or two years.

wud he be happy to just sit on the bench though
*XABIALONSO*

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion