Daniel Agger

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:47 pm

jammydodger wrote:I hope this transfer goes through as he looks to be a very solid player. Also his age provides us with long term security at the back. With him being young as well, can you imagine two better teachers than Sami and Carra? At Liverpool he will develop into a far better player than anyone can anticipate.

I 100% agree with that
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:31 pm

Daniel Agger Fee Agreed
- from Talk LFC

A fee of 5.5 million pounds has alledgedly been agreed between Brondby and Liverpool for the services of Denmark international star, Daniel Agger. This is reported by the Daily Mail this morning.

If this report is accurate, all that is left is for the club and player to agree on the details of his contract but that should not be a problem considering the wages the player is on at Brondby. He also would need to complete a medical which may be tricky as Agger is currently out injured.

The Danish youngster is highly rated in his homecountry and he showed England fans what he is capable of in a recent friendly between the two countries. Agger marked Wayne Rooney out of the match and totally crippled England's attacking impulse as a result.

He was also recently branded an outstanding player by former Reds midfielder Jan Molby who urged Rafa Benitez to sign him. It now seems that Benitez agrees with the great Dane and is ready to make Agger his second January signing.

The Spaniard already bolstered his backline recently when he swapped former Malaga player Josemi for Villarreal's summer aquisition, Dutch international Jan Kromkamp. He vowed then that he would still be looking for more recruits and Agger seems to become the next player to join the Mighty Reds.

The deal will no doubt go some way to calm the nerves of the Anfield faithful who feared another transfer market blackout for two key positions. Benitez missed out on all of his centre half and right wing targets last August but he still managed to form a team which has now been unbeaten for eleven straight games.

Daniel Agger Profile:

Born: 12 December 1984 (21)
Height: 189cm (6ft 3inches)
Weight: 80 kgs (12 stone, 5 pounds)
Current club: Brondby IF

Agger left his childhood club, Rosenhøj BK in 2004, to play for the youth team of Brøndby IF. In July 2004 he was moved from the youth squad to the first team, following the departure of Swedish international Andreas Jakobsson.

He quickly established himself not only as a first team regular, but as a one of the bearing elements of the team that won the Danish Superliga 2004-05. Despite his young age, he played with great authority under the guidance of Brøndby team captain Per Nielsen, and after the first half of the season Agger was named 2004 "talent of the year" by Spillerforeningen (the Danish equivalent of the English PFA).

After the successful Superliga 2004-05 season, Agger was called up to the senior Danish national football team for the 1-0 friendly win against Finland on June 2 2005, playing the full match.

He would watch the next national team match from the bench before playing the full 4-1 friendly win on August 17th 2005 over England alongside Per Nielsen, where he caused problems for the English attack, especially Wayne Rooney.

Agger then went on to play the full ninenty minutes in the next two matches, before an injury sustained in September forced him out for the remainder of the year 2005. Only 20 years of age, Daniel Agger was once again awarded the "talent of the year" on December 6th, 2005. (source:wikipedia.org)
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby karnevale (dk) » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:43 pm

Don't know if you want hear more from biased brondby-fans, but here it is:

Yes, Agger plays in the terrible Danish league, and there are undoubtebly a big step up to the premiership.
Yes, the Danish national team is not wat it used to be (however, haven't lost any matches Agger has participated in).
And yes, 5m £ is alot for young kid with little experience.

BUT! He hasen't made a real mistake since he entered the first team in Brondby (a club he joined in the mid-90's, not 2004). From day 1 he has played as if he just couldn't make mistakes. Reportedly the national manager wanted to use him after just a couple of months of him playing league-one football, but Laudrup, Brondby-manager, told him to wait the debut.

About his play: I don't think his main force is airial domination - in this part of the game, he will have to improve some in order to make in impact in the premiership (but this he can and will do). But he's still one of the best in the Danish superliga.
His pace however is quite good. Maybe not the fastest, but close. He's amazing with the ball at his feet and his passing-skills are surely superb. He often give some of Brondby's less skilled players problems, when he passes the ball very precise and with much speed - also over long distance.
To top this, he is great reading the play - both ways! He is not affraid of taking chances, but these actions have always  turned out good.

In the matches with much on the line (national games + key-matches in the league + european cup-matches) he has always been the most reliable player and he has never played as if he was 19 with no experience, but as a 30-year-old who were caught in a league much under his skills.

It is a paradox if he ends up with the reds, because this is probably one of the very few clubs in Europe, where he just can't step into the start-11 at once. But I don't think he will have any problems with this.

(extra-info: He is the best in the Danish league at long throw-ins and his shot with the left foot are like a horse's kick - however he is able to use his wright quite capable too.)
karnevale (dk)

Postby A.B. » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:46 pm

5 million for a kid like Agger is not too much in my opinion, not when there's poor defenders in the Premiership who have price tags higher than him [i.e Upson]

Thanks for the information about him, it's good to hear that he has good ball distribution. I think we need a bit of that at the back, along with pace.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:52 pm

It has been rumoured in the Liverpool Echo that the deal should go through at some point this week so fingers crossed. :p
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:09 am

£5.5 million is a bit steep for a player who is currently playing in Denmark and not that well known.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:30 am

azriahmad wrote:£5.5 million is a bit steep for a player who is currently playing in Denmark and not that well known.

We paid the same amount for Sissoko, who is hardly a well known player.

I rather we pay 5.5 million now then try to sign him when his value doubles. Like I said it's not that much considering when a player like Upson is considered to be worth 10 million by Steve Bruce, a player I don't think is worth more than 2 million.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby primodua » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:42 am

A.B. wrote:
azriahmad wrote:£5.5 million is a bit steep for a player who is currently playing in Denmark and not that well known.

We paid the same amount for Sissoko, who is hardly a well known player.

I rather we pay 5.5 million now then try to sign him when his value doubles. Like I said it's not that much considering when a player like Upson is considered to be worth 10 million by Steve Bruce, a player I don't think is worth more than 2 million.

i'd rather sign him than paying 10m on diouf or 24m for drogba (CUN7!)
Signing these youngsters/unknowns are always full of risks. But with the right ingredients, they can make a powerful investments. From nobody to somebody like cesc fabregas, or from somebody to nobody (kluivert @ newcastle) it all boils down to the gaffer and the player themselves.
Can players like shearer or owen be better players during the onionhead reign? I don't think so but take a good look at our team now, most players have indeed improved. We are blessed to have such a special gaffer and players do work with him. What rafa is looking now are players that not only can play for him, but play with the team.

eat liverpool, drink liverpool, sleep liverpool
primodua

Postby redsince2001 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:33 am

The deal is apparently done and dusted..it's only a matter of time be4 he joins us most prob. it'll be within a couple of days.... I'll judge him when i see him.
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:41 am

A.B., no disrespect to the Danish league or anything. Rafa already knows Sissoko and his abilities and was fighting with Everton for his signature at that time.

Cesac Fabregas is a fantastic signing for only £2 million.

I just hope he is as good as they say.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:47 am

A.B. wrote:Like I said it's not that much considering when a player like Upson is considered to be worth 10 million by Steve Bruce, a player I don't think is worth more than 2 million.

Upson just goes to show how fickle transfer market sentiments can be. He was much touted both in the press and on here, whereas now I think I would be speaking for most if i said that I sincerely hope Agger is at least a better prospect, and hopefully a better player. Riggot is another that a few have liked the look of, but like Upson I fear he isn't good enough for a really top team.
As I've said many a time, I would spend huge if buying British and buy Ledley King. Failing him, a young centre-half who will make a player is the lad at Newcastle (Taylor I think) who keeps dislocating his shoulder. Just about the best young British defender I think.
As for this Agger lad, it's a big step and a big fee for somebody straight from the Danish League. It's probably fair to assume that someone like Aston Villa would walk away with their Premier Division so clearly the lad isn't running into the likes of Henri, Van Nistelroy, Drogba and Earnshaw every week. I have no opinion really as I've only seen him once and didn't notice him. Hopefully Rafa has called it right once again and in a couple of years, we might have a player.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tel » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:04 am

bigmick wrote:
A.B. wrote:Like I said it's not that much considering when a player like Upson is considered to be worth 10 million by Steve Bruce, a player I don't think is worth more than 2 million.

Upson just goes to show how fickle transfer market sentiments can be. He was much touted both in the press and on here, whereas now I think I would be speaking for most if i said that I sincerely hope Agger is at least a better prospect, and hopefully a better player. Riggot is another that a few have liked the look of, but like Upson I fear he isn't good enough for a really top team.
As I've said many a time, I would spend huge if buying British and buy Ledley King. Failing him, a young centre-half who will make a player is the lad at Newcastle (Taylor I think) who keeps dislocating his shoulder. Just about the best young British defender I think.
As for this Agger lad, it's a big step and a big fee for somebody straight from the Danish League. It's probably fair to assume that someone like Aston Villa would walk away with their Premier Division so clearly the lad isn't running into the likes of Henri, Van Nistelroy, Drogba and Earnshaw every week. I have no opinion really as I've only seen him once and didn't notice him. Hopefully Rafa has called it right once again and in a couple of years, we might have a player.

There's been a lot of good players come out of the Danish league and the Laudrup's were no accident. Maybe going back a bit, but their national side in '86 was for me one of the best I've seen in that era. They may have done a Greece a few years later to win the Euro, but they're a bit like the Dutch league. Lots of good players concentrated in 2-3 good teams, and a bunch playing overseas.

And anyway, where did that Schmeichel guy come from?
tel

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:26 am

tel wrote:There's been a lot of good players come out of the Danish league and the Laudrup's were no accident. Maybe going back a bit, but their national side in '86 was for me one of the best I've seen in that era. They may have done a Greece a few years later to win the Euro, but they're a bit like the Dutch league. Lots of good players concentrated in 2-3 good teams, and a bunch playing overseas.

And anyway, where did that Schmeichel guy come from?

For sure Tel there's been some good players. I seem to remember one scoring against us in a European Cup final a while back who could play a bit. As you say, the Laudrups were great players, as was Molby, Elkjaar etc etc.
In fairness I didn't say this kid won't be a great player either. I merely said that it is a big step from the Danish League to the Premiership and that for somebody largely unproven, it's a big fee aswell. Not having seen the lad play, like I said I have no opinion really other than that annoying, In Rafa we trust thing.  :;):
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:28 am

Do you think the Kop would sing his name to the tune of Aga Do?
:down:
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:18 am

Well he cant be that bad if hes a full international at his age. And i saw the match against England. He was pretty impressive there. Anyway i also read this morning as im sure most of you have that the deal should be tied up in a few days. I think its a good signing IMO. Im sure being so young he can learn a lot from Carra and Sammi.

You know how Rafa likes to show of more than one signing at once. He will probabaly present Kromkamp and Agger at the same time, maybe even more. I havent heard a flicker about the Gonzales deal?
Last edited by tubby on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion