DANIEL AGGER - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:19 pm

Friendlies are a waste of time and at this stage of the season a joke.

Having said that I wouldnt be introducing and tackling stipulations. A match is a match whenever it is played and I cant see players wanting to be involved with games like that.

George Graham was saying on talk sport this morning rather than friendlies maybe the squad could get together once a month and train for a few days.
I know it's not the same as game time but what are the players and team getting out of friendlies anyway ?

Sorry for going off topic.

Boss tackle by Agger on that annoying little cnt  :D
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby damjan193 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:18 pm

I hate international friendlies as much as anyone else, but how else would you expect the team to prepare for the international competitions? Just training together for a few weeks is obviously not enough.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:37 pm

damjan193 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:18 pm wrote:I hate international friendlies as much as anyone else, but how else would you expect the team to prepare for the international competitions? Just training together for a few weeks is obviously not enough.

In principal it doesnt sound enough.
But in the friendlies we play a lot of players drop out.
There is also a raft of substitutions that disrupts the game totally.

Serious question, when was the last friendly we had that you thought was beneficial or that we got anything from ?
I say we meaning England and note you are not from England but you get my point  :D
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby damjan193 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:46 pm

Ben Patrick » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:37 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:18 pm wrote:I hate international friendlies as much as anyone else, but how else would you expect the team to prepare for the international competitions? Just training together for a few weeks is obviously not enough.

Serious question, when was the last friendly we had that you thought was beneficial or that we got anything from ?
I say we meaning England and note you are not from England but you get my point  :D

Yeah mate, I get what you're saying. But the thing is, the team has to gel somehow. The players need to know each other well enough before they play in those international competitions and just training together is simply not enough.

Here's an example. Why do you think that Spain has been so successful in the past few years? OK, obviously they have a lot of talented players but there's more to it. The key thing is that most of their squad is consisted of players from only two clubs and naturally the players know each other better because they already play in the same team. Despite the fact that there might be other players that deserve to be in the team instead the likes of Busquets, Pedro, Fabregas, Arbeloa etc, del Bosque was persistent in playing them because his key players are familiar with them. There's a reason why Spain played with Fabregas as a false number 9 (who hardly got a game with Barca) in the last World Cup despite having some good strikers at their disposal such as Negredo and Soldado.

Another very important reason is for the manager to see how the players perform under him. International managers can't form their squads for the competitions based only on how the players play for their club. If they did, players such as Podolski, dos Santos etc. would have never played for their country.

Don't want to get a away from the topic too much, but my point is simple: the players need to gel and the manager needs to know his players well before they start playing official games. Simply training together is not enough, thus the need for friendly matches. You might not see the benefits but they do exist.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:00 pm

damjan193 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:46 pm wrote:
Ben Patrick » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:37 pm wrote:

Yeah mate, I get what you're saying. But the thing is, the team has to gel somehow. The players need to know each other well enough before they play in those international competitions and just training together is simply not enough.

Here's an example. Why do you think that Spain has been so successful in the past few years? OK, obviously they have a lot of talented players but there's more to it. The key thing is that most of their squad is consisted of players from only two clubs and naturally the players know each other better because they already play in the same team. Despite the fact that there might be other players that deserve to be in the team instead the likes of Busquets, Pedro, Fabregas, Arbeloa etc, del Bosque was persistent in playing them because his key players are familiar with them. There's a reason why Spain played with Fabregas as a false number 9 (who hardly got a game with Barca) in the last World Cup despite having some good strikers at their disposal such as Negredo and Soldado.

Another very important reason is for the manager to see how the players perform under him. International managers can't form their squads for the competitions based only on how the players play for their club. If they did, players such as Podolski, dos Santos etc. would have never played for their country.

Don't want to get a away from the topic too much, but my point is simple: the players need to gel and the manager needs to know his players well before they start playing official games. Simply training together is not enough, thus the need for friendly matches. You might not see the benefits but they do exist.

Until recently though Spain were the biggest under achievers in international football and that was because their national team was made up of Real Madrid and Barcelona players who couldn't stand each other's guts. This generation of Spanish players have managed to put club rivalries aside.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:31 am

Thought Daniel has struggled a bit to find his best form this season but his last 2 performances have been spot on, he had that one nervy moment when Soldado did him for pace but even then he got back and recovered the situation.
Apart from that though his last 180 minutes have been nothing short of imperious, bordering on the Hansen-esque even.
Dan's form has been so good it leaves Brendan with a bit of a headache for next week, next up is West Ham and Andy Carroll (who no doubt feels he owes Brendan one for pushing him towards the exit door here when he clearly wanted to stay).
Does Brendan stick with the in form Agger? or knowing the havoc a fired up Carroll can cause is it worth bringing Sakho back?
Knowing how susceptible we've been to the long ball in the past is it even worth playing 3 at the back? Wouldn't surprise me if Allardyce went with both Cole and Carroll next week given the trouble Carlton Cole has caused us in the recent past so maybe it's worth beefing up our defence and asking Raheem to play wing back?

Mingolet

Skrtel.       Sakho.      Agger

Johnson.                    Hendo.             Gerrard.              Sterling

Coutinho

Sturridge.           Suarez

Or you could even start off with Allen in there instead of Phil and bring the little maestro on in the second half?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:44 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:31 am wrote:Thought Daniel has struggled a bit to find his best form this season but his last 2 performances have been spot on, he had that one nervy moment when Soldado did him for pace but even then he got back and recovered the situation.
Apart from that though his last 180 minutes have been nothing short of imperious, bordering on the Hansen-esque even.
Dan's form has been so good it leaves Brendan with a bit of a headache for next week, next up is West Ham and Andy Carroll (who no doubt feels he owes Brendan one for pushing him towards the exit door here when he clearly wanted to stay).
Does Brendan stick with the in form Agger? or knowing the havoc a fired up Carroll can cause is it worth bringing Sakho back?
Knowing how susceptible we've been to the long ball in the past is it even worth playing 3 at the back? Wouldn't surprise me if Allardyce went with both Cole and Carroll next week given the trouble Carlton Cole has caused us in the recent past so maybe it's worth beefing up our defence and asking Raheem to play wing back?

Mingolet

Skrtel.       Sakho.      Agger

Johnson.                    Hendo.             Gerrard.              Sterling

Coutinho

Sturridge.           Suarez

Or you could even start off with Allen in there instead of Phil and bring the little maestro on in the second half?

I honestly cannot see Rodgers deviating from the current formation we play. We have barely changed anything in the last 8 games, the only thing that has changed in terms of personnel is who starts out of Sterling, Allen and Coutinho.

The question is, can Allardyce really afford to drop a midfielder to play two up front. I really hope he does, it will be suicide.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:07 am

Carroll is going to be a handful though, he ripped Skrtel to shreds last time he played against him.
I'd bring Sakho back in myself.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:15 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:07 am wrote:Carroll is going to be a handful though, he ripped Skrtel to shreds last time he played against him.
I'd bring Sakho back in myself.

Our very successful philosophy has been attack is the best form of defence. Despite the threat that Carroll poses, they have to first gain possession, then find themselves in a crossing position. We win the game by ensuring the only tactic they have is the long ball. We'll be 2 or 3 up by half time.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kartiek » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:59 pm

I did not enjoy watching Daniel get beat for pace by Soldado soooo comfortably. And Soldado isn't even one of the quickest strikers.
kartiek

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:04 pm

I think Sakho is a good shout.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:17 pm

This is the same Daniel Agger who possibly gave one of the best defensive displays I have seen at Anfield when he put Drogba squarely in his back pocket in the Champions League semi final...If anything he's more equipped than most to deal with powerhouse strikers.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:29 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:17 pm wrote:This is the same Daniel Agger who possibly gave one of the best defensive displays I have seen at Anfield when he put Drogba squarely in his back pocket in the Champions League semi final...If anything he's more equipped than most to deal with powerhouse strikers.

Carroll is maybe the best header of a ball in world football though mate, I think Danny would have his hands full with him myself, I'd rather we went with Sakho. Pointless having a colossus sitting on the bench while West Ham are launching the ball towards our box all game.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:41 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:29 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:17 pm wrote:This is the same Daniel Agger who possibly gave one of the best defensive displays I have seen at Anfield when he put Drogba squarely in his back pocket in the Champions League semi final...If anything he's more equipped than most to deal with powerhouse strikers.

Carroll is maybe the best header of a ball in world football though mate, I think Danny would have his hands full with him myself, I'd rather we went with Sakho. Pointless having a colossus sitting on the bench while West Ham are launching the ball towards our box all game.

I think Rodgers should just leave it as it is ,because regardless of who lines up against Carroll  its going to be the longest 90 mins of their respective lives.
As you say in the air Carroll is a nightmare to stop ,but bringing in Sakho after such a lengthy absence is a huge gamble ,and he will need to find his feet
first mate.

I honestly believe when the need for a titanic performance is this essential then Agger has it in his locker to quell the threat West Ham and Carroll bring.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:02 pm

Best header of a ball in world football? Yakka I respect your views mate but I'm not sure about that one  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext