Daniel Agger

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:09 pm

*XABIALONSO* wrote:
Kukilon wrote:Agger is awesome for his age. I have seen him play many times and I can honestly see him taking the spot from the all mighty Sami in one or two years.

wud he be happy to just sit on the bench though

Under Rafa, he would play plenty of games. Benitez probably wants to rest Sami at times but can't because we don't have cover and he also likes to rotate. There wouldn't be any problems for Agger.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:11 pm

According to the Echo in the last couple of days the deal is going to cost around £5.5 million and for a 21 year old who is already an international is IMO something of a bargain (although this is based on not having seen anything of the lad and only reputation) but at his age he still has time on his hands to be moulded by the best manager in europe into another Hansen or Hyypia.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:17 pm

A.B. wrote:
*XABIALONSO* wrote:
Kukilon wrote:Agger is awesome for his age. I have seen him play many times and I can honestly see him taking the spot from the all mighty Sami in one or two years.

wud he be happy to just sit on the bench though

Under Rafa, he would play plenty of games. Benitez probably wants to rest Sami at times but can't because we don't have cover and he also likes to rotate. There wouldn't be any problems for Agger.

Have to disagree AB, central defence is one area where you can't really rotate too much.  Rotating Pellegrino with Hyypia last season did give Hyypia a rest and allowed him to play some of his best football for us towards the end of last season.  However you couldn't do this throughout a season, it's far too unsettling, consistency is needed at the back above anywhere else.

If Agger is the man to sign, he's not going to walk into the team.  Barring any major injuries or suspensions to Carra or Sami for the rest of the season I couldn't see him playing any more than about 5 games from the start for the rest of this season.  We badly need cover though just in case, and someone like Agger  who is young and without a big reputation is just the type of player we need who I think would be ok about sitting out this season and possibly most of next before eventually replacing Sami.

Not seen that much of him but by all accounts aerial dominance is his strength, and above all else that is the major attribute a potential Hyypia replacement needs.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:22 pm

funny enough i was talking to a danish liverpool fan on holiday in cyprus last year about this guy.He mentioned how he reminded him of how a certain Lawrenson use to play.Now to be honest i've not seen enough of the guy to comment,but if he has been compared to Lawrenson £5.5 million will be an absolute bargin.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:24 pm

Have you seen him John? I know he played in that Denmark game but I don't recall much about it and nothing about the Danish centre-halves. He has been touted for a while now so it does look like he's the one now that Vidic opted for Manure.
On the question of rotation and game time, my suspicion is that five games maybe a bit on the low side. I can certainly see Carra or Sami being brought off with half an hour to go when we are 2-0 up. It would do both of them the power of good aswell. I just hope he's as good as his reputation.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:29 pm

For a young, strong, promising centre half who has already got some international caps, £5.5m is a bargain and a half. It might also have a possitive effect on Sami and Jamie who will up their game to keep their places (though I couldn't realisticly see either being dropped after the run of form they're on at the mo).
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:30 pm

drummerphil wrote:funny enough i was talking to a danish liverpool fan on holiday in cyprus last year about this guy.He mentioned how he reminded him of how a certain Lawrenson use to play.Now to be honest i've not seen enough of the guy to comment,but if he has been compared to Lawrenson £5.5 million will be an absolute bargin.

I don't know Phil.  The Premiership is a massive step-up from the league that fellah is playing in now.  5.5 mil seems quite a lot, but then again I've only heard good things about him.

People say he's an International, but to be honest the Danish national side is poor at the moment so I don't think that's a great indicator of how good he's going to be.

Benitez doesn't waste money very often though, if he shells out over 5 mil for this boy he'll probably turn out to be a bargain.  Alomost every time Benitez has spent big it's worked out - Alonso (10 mil), Garcia (6 mil), Crouch (7 mil), Sissoko (4 mil), Reina (7 mil) - all key players at the moment.  Morientes is the only big money buy who hasn't quite hit the heights we expected I reckon, but that said he's looking better these days.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:35 pm

bigmick wrote:Have you seen him John? I know he played in that Denmark game but I don't recall much about it and nothing about the Danish centre-halves. He has been touted for a while now so it does look like he's the one now that Vidic opted for Manure.
On the question of rotation and game time, my suspicion is that five games maybe a bit on the low side. I can certainly see Carra or Sami being brought off with half an hour to go when we are 2-0 up. It would do both of them the power of good aswell. I just hope he's as good as his reputation.

Seen highlights of him play Mick but not watched him for a whole game to be honest.  Looks strong and wins a lot in the air, not quick but not slow either.  I'm not the best person to properly judge him though.

You're right about 5 games being a bit on the low side, I was thinking about starts though, I certainly think that games such as Everton and Newcastle where we were cruising it would have been good to bring him on and rest Carra or Sami.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:41 pm

john craig wrote:
drummerphil wrote:funny enough i was talking to a danish liverpool fan on holiday in cyprus last year about this guy.He mentioned how he reminded him of how a certain Lawrenson use to play.Now to be honest i've not seen enough of the guy to comment,but if he has been compared to Lawrenson £5.5 million will be an absolute bargin.

I don't know Phil.  The Premiership is a massive step-up from the league that fellah is playing in now.  5.5 mil seems quite a lot, but then again I've only heard good things about him.

People say he's an International, but to be honest the Danish national side is poor at the moment so I don't think that's a great indicator of how good he's going to be.

Benitez doesn't waste money very often though, if he shells out over 5 mil for this boy he'll probably turn out to be a bargain.  Every time Benitez has spent big it's worked out - Alonso (10 mil), Garcia (6 mil), Crouch (7 mil), Sissoko (4 mil), Reina (7 mil) - all key players at the moment.

they were good enough to stuff England 4-1 recently and their defence had the England attack in their pockets.I know it was a game that David Calamity James had a nightmare...(a game i add that should have ended his international career),but on their day arent as bad as you think.Like i said this chap i met supported Liverpool but also knew an awful lot about the player,at the time he also mentioned what a player Rommedahl would be for us too.He since signed for Charlton and he's hardly set the premiership alight has he.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:45 pm

drummerphil wrote:
john craig wrote:

Benitez doesn't waste money very often though, if he shells out over 5 mil for this boy he'll probably turn out to be a bargain.  Every time Benitez has spent big it's worked out - Alonso (10 mil), Garcia (6 mil), Crouch (7 mil), Sissoko (4 mil), Reina (7 mil) - all key players at the moment.

they were good enough to stuff England 4-1 recently and their defence had the England attack in their pockets.I know it was a game that David Calamity James had a nightmare...(a game i add that should have ended his international career),but on their day arent as bad as you think.Like i said this chap i met supported Liverpool but also knew an awful lot about the player,at the time he also mentioned what a player Rommedahl would be for us too.He since signed for Charlton and he's hardly set the premiership alight has he.

Whether the Danish national team is good or not, Scandinavian players generally adapt very well to the English game, so I suppose that's another bonus.  Was Agger playing against England that night?  I didn't see the whole game
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:45 pm

drummerphil wrote:
john craig wrote:

Rommedahl was the main reason they beat Chelsea earlier this year. I haven't seen that much of Charlton though.

You also have to take into account that this is his first season in the EPL.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:16 pm

Rommedahl's had injury problems, but when injury-free he's looked very, very dangerous.

On the subject of rotation, I think it has to happen sooner or later. Sami's not up to playing every game of a 60+ match season these days, and even Carra will start to flag in a few months if we don't have back up for him. Obviously it's a lot dodgier to mess about with a defensive line than it is to swap out a striker or a midfielder, but when we've got a Prem campaign, a mammoth CL run (hopefully!), FA Cup and the couple of games in Japan, not to mention the internationals Sami and Carra have had, they need resting. It's an absolute killer itinerary this season.
ivor_the_injun

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:23 pm

If we want tis guy were gonna have to be quick about it becasue ive heard Juve are interested
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:12 am

Why would a promising young international be happy to leave the club he is 1st choice at, to sit on our bench for the rest of a World Cup season? (Assuming Denmark qualified!) If he signs, Agger will be expecting to play regularly.

If he does sign, Sami will be the European CB, and Agger the Premiership one. (Cup-tied.)

I think Rafa may suprise everyone with his signings over the next couple of weeks.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:18 am

I hear a lot of good things on this player.... when are we going to sign him ? I can't wait for him to play in his first match for Liverpool ....
LiverpoolMadman

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion