Daniel agger...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:37 pm

What did you all make of the kid's performance yesterday? 

I thought he looked calm and composed when on the ball and his distribution is top class. It just led me to think how many games he'll actually start this season, especially with Sami getting on a bit.

By no means am I writing of the big Finn but even he himself realises that his legs are giving up on him and that he cannot be a 50 game a season player anymore.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby aCe' » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:45 pm

i thought agger was really good.... looked pretty sharp and made a couple of decent tackles in our area! also played some wonderful passes across the field.... i think he'll be starting alot of games instead of hyypia next season.... cup games and some of the less improtant league games...i can see him replacing hyypia in a year or two if he can prove himself when he is  given a go  !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:03 pm

Damn I have just written about him in the other thread  :angry:

Daniel Agger had a decent first game of the season, and although he did nothing spectacular seemed to cope quite well both with the pace of the game and with the pressure. His passing was good and he won his fair share of headers. If he can stay fit I expect him to figure in quite a few games this season , possibly claiming Sammi's place in the later part of the season if he manages to get a run of games. My one concern is whether he is too much of a footballer and not physical enough for his position and the EPL. I certainly think he is at least 12 months in front of Palletta and much closer to first choice than I expected. Sammi will I hope, again rise to any challenge to his position, which again can only be good for Liverpool.
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:16 pm

given his performance, i don't really see any need to rush hyypia back for the sheffield united game although i presume rafa will.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:20 pm

He looked good, although where I was sitting me and a few others around me assumed he was at fault for their goal till I watched the highlights, but I think it underlines Hypias presence in the team although i agree that age is catching him up
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:22 pm

I think Agger was competent, he worked well with Carragher and distributes the ball well. Hyypia is getting slower by the day, he has been a great servant to the club but I feel this could be his final season for us.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:23 pm

I was a bit surprised yesterday when I heard that Agger was in instead of Sami but to be fair he performed very well. It was obviously a case of having somebody in the defence with a bit of pace as Sami looked a little slow at times on wednesday. As for the season ahead I still think that Sami is gonna play the lions share of games but in matches were we are playing so-called lesser sides we may see a bit more of Agger. As was mentioned on the commentary yesterday, Sami is now 32 (33 in october) and we need to start grooming a replacement. From what I've seen of Paletta in pre-season I'd say Agger has to be considered as the first choice backup for the defence. An option Rafa might also go with is to give Agger a run out at times with Sami so that he can gain from the experience that the big guy has got and learn from being in there during the heat of competition.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:24 pm

stmichael wrote:given his performance, i don't really see any need to rush hyypia back for the sheffield united game although i presume rafa will.

I think Agger will play for Denmark on Wednesday so maybe Hyypia will get the chance to fill in. (only  joking Sammi  :D )

Postby bigmick » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:53 pm

I thought he was excellent but in reference to Taff's point, I thought he was at fault for the goal (I haven't seen the highlights and any analysis). To me Shevchenko peels off Agger and doubles up on Carragher. What causes the problem is a basic lack of communication between the three people involved, Agger, Caragher and Finnan. For me, Agger and Carragher should 'swap' strikers as Shevchenko peels and Finnan should tuck in as cover. As it was I thought Agger was guilty of ball-watching (though it was a clever piece of play by one of the best strikers in the World today) and Finnan wasn't alive enough to compensate. I only saw it though at the time with replays so if somebody has got a graphic which shows I'm talkng nonsense then fair enough.
Apart from that I thought Agger was excellent. His distribution, long and short is as good as any central defender we've had at Liverpool for many a year and in the after match celebratory shirt removal he looked to me like he'd bulked up a bit as well. I think he may overtake Hyypia at some point this season as a first choice centre-half.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Billy_5_Times » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:54 pm

I don't think Agger put a foot wrong against Chelsea. He won every ball in the air and when it was at his feet he looked controled. Based on that performance Agger may be a regular this season. Well done lad.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby bigmick » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:01 pm

Hmmmm a rare semi-sensible post from our friend William five-bellies. Definately a step in the right direction.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:10 pm

bigmick wrote:I thought he was excellent but in reference to Taff's point, I thought he was at fault for the goal (I haven't seen the highlights and any analysis). To me Shevchenko peels off Agger and doubles up on Carragher. What causes the problem is a basic lack of communication between the three people involved, Agger, Caragher and Finnan. For me, Agger and Carragher should 'swap' strikers as Shevchenko peels and Finnan should tuck in as cover. As it was I thought Agger was guilty of ball-watching (though it was a clever piece of play by one of the best strikers in the World today) and Finnan wasn't alive enough to compensate. I only saw it though at the time with replays so if somebody has got a graphic which shows I'm talkng nonsense then fair enough.
Apart from that I thought Agger was excellent. His distribution, long and short is as good as any central defender we've had at Liverpool for many a year and in the after match celebratory shirt removal he looked to me like he'd bulked up a bit as well. I think he may overtake Hyypia at some point this season as a first choice centre-half.

I have just watched the replay of the Chelsea goal about 5 times at different speeds. Finnan actually has a player to watch( Robben?), Carra is covering Drogba, and Agger as you have suggested was ball watching. Perhaps a shout from Carra would have been helpfull, but you also have to give credit for a great pass and finish.

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:12 pm

I thought he did more than alright to be honest.

Quitely competent and nice ball distribution. His ability on the ball was also a nice surprise.
The lad's in with a real shout to replace Sammi, I reckon.... Sammi's been a rock for us for so long now (and long may it continue) but as all on here have said... he's getting a little long in the tooth and no, I don't think he'll be a 50 game-a-year player for much longer.

Hope the lad and Palleta studies Sammi and Carra closely in matches and training coz they both have a lot to teach.

Our defensive future looks rosy with Agger next in line and Carra in his prime. Hopefully Palleta comes through as well...

For the 1st time in a long time, I no longer fear an injury to our starting two CBs as we apparently have pretty good young un's to fill their boots if required.

:blues:
ConnO'var

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:47 pm

bigmick wrote:His distribution, long and short is as good as any central defender we've had at Liverpool for many a year

the comparisons with hansen are inevitable. i said it when he brought the ball out from the back and started the move from which gerrard scored against the toon at st james'.

he seems to almost stroll through games. if he stays fit he'll be a superb acquisition. when you consider that we were linked with vidic and agger, we certainly got the right player and the better deal.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby CardinalRed » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:55 pm

The conditioners at the club will work on Agger and get him more physically prepared, although, to look at Crouchy you wouldn't think he could be taking on defenders like Terry but he manages it..... Maybe it's a case of not judging a book just by it's cover?

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion