ARSENAL V. LIVERPOOL - Wed. April 2nd - Champions League Quarter Finals

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:42 am

Saw a bit of an interview with Wenger, he was basically saying if you stop Torres and Gerrard you stop Liverpool. Got the impression he was making special plans to deal with the duo. Hopefully the rest of the squad can give him something to think about.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:49 am

woof woof ! wrote:Saw a bit of an interview with Wenger, he was basically saying if you stop Torres and Gerrard you stop Liverpool. Got the impression he was making special plans to deal with the duo. Hopefully the rest of the squad can give him something to think about.

Would I be right in saying if you stop Fabregas and that Abbo-Dior fella you'd stop Arsenal ?
66-1112520797

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:07 am

We must not go there to sit back and hope to score on a counter.  If we allow them to build from the back then they will dominate us like they did at Anfield.  If we want to get a result from this match then we have to go at them from the start, we have to chase them down in packs and not allow them to have any space.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:11 am

Bamaga man wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Saw a bit of an interview with Wenger, he was basically saying if you stop Torres and Gerrard you stop Liverpool. Got the impression he was making special plans to deal with the duo. Hopefully the rest of the squad can give him something to think about.

Would I be right in saying if you stop Fabregas and that Abbo-Dior fella you'd stop Arsenal ?

Not necessarily. I think when going forward Arsenal have more (in depth) to offer than we do. After Torres and Gerrard we have the likes of Kuyt, Babel, Benayoun , Pennant and Crouch.

After Fabregas and Adebayor, Arsenal can offer Van Persie, Walcott, Rosicky, Flamini and Hleb.

Both teams would obviously suffer if the "star duo's" where canceled out , but without them Arsenal imo still pose a greater attacking threat than we do.
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:15 am

Bamaga man wrote:

unfortunately not really... hleb, rosicky, gallas, flamini, van persie can all pop up occasionally and score a goal or two... let's hope it does'nt happen...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:18 am

woof woof ! wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Not necessarily. I think when going forward Arsenal have more (in depth) to offer than we do. After Torres and Gerrard we have the likes of Kuyt, Babel, Benayoun , Pennant and Crouch.

After Fabregas and Adebayor, Arsenal can offer Van Persie, Walcott, Rosicky, Flamini and Hleb.

Both teams would obviously suffer if the "star duo's" where canceled out , but without them Arsenal imo still pose a greater attacking threat than we do.

beat me to it...  :laugh:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:52 am

There's not much doubt in my mind that Arsenal are probably a better all round team than us all things being equal. They've fallen in a hole though a wee bit in the league (and bizarrely I think it is probably due to Wenger "under rotating" :D) and it could just be that we are meeting them at just the right time. Unlike some, I most definately would sit and let them come at us. Let's see what they've got and lets see how brave they are about chucking men forward when we've got Torres and Gerrard ready to hit them on the counter.

This will be a different type of European encounter form ones we've seen previously, as they won't be in the least bit intimidated I don't think about going to Anfield (JBG said much the same thing and I'm kind of jumping on his bandwagon here). I don't think a draw or even a single goal victory would mean we are through by any means, and it wouldn't be the biggest surprise to me at all if at the end of the whole shebang, we are once again talking about Reina's excellence in penalty shootouts. How we will arrive at that juncture, feck knows to be honest. In the interests of debate however, how about 1-1 at each venue.

Just to come back on Wengers under-rotation as I know the comment will generate hoots of derision and general disbelief  :laugh: I actually think he's played it the way we should play it. He's stubbornly played his best team and formation almost whenever he could (there have been odd restings here and there) and ultimately it's the skinniness of his squad which is going to find him out. Fabregas who was all conquering earlier in the season has slowly but surely descended back into the "very good" category from his previous excellence, and the lack of qulaity replacements so they could sit him and the likes of Adebayor down occasionally is eventually going to cost them. They've made a real fist of it though, and regardless of what happens fropm here on in can definately lay claim to having challenged for the title. Hopefully the effort expended in so doing will work in our favour over these next few matches. It is to be hoped so, because when they came to Anfield all guns blazing earlier in the season, it was about as one-sided a 1-1 draw as you'll ever see to be truthful.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Richj » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:01 am

Has anyone got a link to the Torres pre match interview he did in English ?
Richj

Postby skatesy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:16 am

Richj wrote:Has anyone got a link to the Torres pre match interview he did in English ?

it is on bbc football.

the quality of the video is not the great but you can definitely tell that torres has a good handle on the english language now.
skatesy

Postby maguskwt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:23 am

bigmick wrote:(and bizarrely I think it is probably due to Wenger "under rotating" :D)

aha!...   :laugh:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Richj » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:27 am

skatesy wrote:
Richj wrote:Has anyone got a link to the Torres pre match interview he did in English ?

it is on bbc football.

the quality of the video is not the great but you can definitely tell that torres has a good handle on the english language now.

Cheers  :)
Richj

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:26 am

Lisen to some of this from Arsenal forums:

'I'm really starting to get tired of this Anfield s***e. There's two legs, and one of them is at The Emirates: that's just a tough as any place to go and get a result! '

'The Anfield thing is bullsh#t... Check the home results of Arsenal and the Home results of Liverpool in the last two seasons... We've lost one game? '

'I'm a little confused by the fact that people are so scared of Crouch. He has only been very good against us once and it was on a day when the whole team didn't show up; he is an average player and despite his height is nowhere near dominating like Drogba. Added to the fact that in europe he gets called for pretty much every header he makes I don't really see the threat myself. '

'Pool have been far from impressive this CL, I don't really see the hype behind them for this term, still can't count them out though '

'Should be a comfortable win for our boys - we consistently outclass Liverpool and I dont see why this time will be an exception - all they have is long ball. '

....................................................................................

This sort of talk is great as far as I'm concerned. Almost as arrogant as Chelsea fans but not quite.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:57 am

skatesy wrote:

it is on bbc football.

:laugh:  , would have been good if there was a link
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:58 am

stmichael wrote:Lisen to some of this from Arsenal forums:

'I'm really starting to get tired of this Anfield s***e. There's two legs, and one of them is at The Emirates: that's just a tough as any place to go and get a result! '

'The Anfield thing is bullsh#t... Check the home results of Arsenal and the Home results of Liverpool in the last two seasons... We've lost one game? '

'I'm a little confused by the fact that people are so scared of Crouch. He has only been very good against us once and it was on a day when the whole team didn't show up; he is an average player and despite his height is nowhere near dominating like Drogba. Added to the fact that in europe he gets called for pretty much every header he makes I don't really see the threat myself. '

'Pool have been far from impressive this CL, I don't really see the hype behind them for this term, still can't count them out though '

'Should be a comfortable win for our boys - we consistently outclass Liverpool and I dont see why this time will be an exception - all they have is long ball. '

....................................................................................

This sort of talk is great as far as I'm concerned. Almost as arrogant as Chelsea fans but not quite.

?? how does that affect the team, if these were comments from the players or from Wenger then maybe it would have som ebearing on the result.
I think this is going be extremely tight over two legs but that we'll just squeese through. I'm expecting a draw tonight, huge defeat in the league match where Rafa will rest almost all the players and a narrow win in the return leg.
heimdall

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:00 pm

stmichael wrote:Lisen to some of this from Arsenal forums:

Don't bother what their fans say, as far as it goes we are the under dogs and i like it that way . Would love to see the excuses whe arsenal get knocked out . Interesting pattern

Last 3 champions league finals

Liverpool vs Ac milan

Barcelona Vs Arsenal

Liverpool vs Ac milan

Potential final : Arsenal vs Barcelona ??

A pattern developing there
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion