ARSENAL V. LIVERPOOL - Wed. April 2nd - Champions League Quarter Finals

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby azhan00 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:55 am

not sure who will get to play in this game
but to me arsenal look vulnerable nowadays... so it is the best time to beat them..

a one goal win will be a tremendous boost for us to bring to anfield....
i would go for a win for us :D
azhan00

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:28 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
dawson99 wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:the way Arsenal move the ball we'll have to be fresh because we'll be chasing shadows at times.

This is one game I'd play Kuyt (go read the Kuyt debate to see my overall opinion of the lad) but in this game I would play him because we need someone who'll track back and run nonstop. Hopefully he won't give the ball away so often, but we can't have everything :laugh:

so, the player you want to sell and would rather have seb coe playing in that position, and a game of this magnitude and you'd go for him over anyone else?

Nice to see you've been drinking since our victory today lad

in a game where we're going to be under alot of pressure and we're going to be ran raggered I would choose Kuyt.

and now u remmber him eh? Another hypocrite   :no
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:53 am

we need to score in this game imo if we're going to progress. 0-0 is not a good result.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:15 am

neil wrote:
ruskiy playmaker wrote:Arsenal did overrun us last time at Anfield.

sorry mte but dudek was in goal so those games dont count

haha shady badboy is at it again :laugh: dont start a ronaldo fanboy thread before him neither ffs :laugh:

yeah cos reina never makes a mistake does he    ???
112-1077774096

Postby Big Niall » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:07 pm

When the draw was made I didn't really fancy our chances but Arsenal have been struggling lately (I hoped they wouldn't beat Bolton to lower confidence).

I think we'll squeeze through somehow.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Kid Torres » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:32 pm

I really fancy our chances of getting at least a score draw in the Emirates and finishing the job at Anfield.

Arsenal have been leaking goals of late and they aren't invincible at the Emirates, and we have much more pace and power in our side than AC Milan so I don't think there sheer youth and enthusiasm will let them dictate the play as it did against AC over the two legs.

The return of Robin Van Persie will be a huge boost to them as Adebayor has gone off the boil a bit lately (although he's still a big threat) and the way they came back against Bolton will have restored some confidence into there ranks. Make no mistake about it, for Liverpool to get through we are going to have to be at or very near to our best in both legs.

I fancy a 1-1 on Wednesday evening, followed by a 2-1 victory at Anfield.  :D

They'll probably tonk us in the league between the two European fixtures though.
Last edited by The Kid Torres on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kid Torres

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:42 pm

They barely beat notlob who are one of our league doubles this season and notlob haven't won in their last nine games. That was Arsenal's first win in the league since 11/02 which is the day before notlob's last win in all competitions

We're going into this game with eight wins in our last nine games and the only defeat to the mancs (1-0 until they played 10 men and even then it took them a while to finish us off. Only our away form against the top sides makes them favourites, but we drew at Chelski for the first time under Rafa so why not stifle the goners?  Subdue Hleb and Fabregas in midfield and take Adebayor out of the game, then just make sure one of their CBs or unlikely scorers doesn't score from a set piece
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:58 pm

Reina

Carra          Hypia          Skrtel          Riise

Kuyt         Gerrard         Masch         Babel

Torres        Crouch

I want to see a 4-4-2 formation and i think if we play a 4-5-1  formation torres will get isolated by the 4 defenders , also crouch has a good record against the arsebone and i reckon he will start , kuyt on the wing as he will run adn track back against a fast paced team like arsenal and also we need hypia's expereince , i'm going for a 2-0 win
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yari7 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:03 pm

I am going for a draw.

I think it is very improtant we get a goal at the Emirates, becuase I don't see Arsenal failing to score at Anfeild.

Also, an option we should explore is the use of Peter Crouch because the Arsenal defence recently has had problems in the air.
Yari7

Postby Seano Kop » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:38 pm

Same team as usual. I think we can win at Emirates.

Reina
Carragher                                 Skrtl                  Hyypia                                            Riise

Alonso                 Mash
Kuyt                                                                                                                    Babel
                                                         Gerrard

Torres
Seano Kop

Postby RedBlood » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:55 pm

i would stick to the new system as take away the manure gave its working you cant argue with results

i would play riise as he did well on his return to the first team and is better defensively then auerillo, i think maybe to be dropped was what he needed?? i would also stick carra at rightback because i think the pace of sktrel will be needed against this lot

also with this being a european game id give insua and nemeth a place on the bench, they have been very impressive this season and it would let them know they are not far away from the first team and keep it up

reina

carra      skrtel      sami      riise

masch     alonso

kuyt                              babel
                                                                       gerrard

torres
arebola
insua
lucas
benyoun
pennant
crouch
nemeth

prediction 1-2   torres kuyt(seems to enjoy this comp)

:buttrock
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:18 pm

I think there are good arguments for both Kuyt and Crouch in this one, maybe Kuyt away and Crouch at home in a 4-4-2. I don't think Babel offers much in these games. If we stick with the system I would go with:
                            Reina
       Arbeloa      Carra     Skrtel      Aurelio
               Mascherano          Alonso
     Pennant           Gerrard            Kuyt
                             Torres
wouldn't mind seeing:
                              Reina
  Finnan       Carra                 Skrtel      Aurelio
  Pennant      Gerrard          Mascherano    Riise
                     Torres            Crouch
JoeTerp

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:34 pm

This is going to be a tough tie because there are perhaps only two clubs in Europe capable of coming to Anfield and getting a result - Arsenal and UTD.

Both have come to Anfield in recent years and came up against a hostile atmosphere and still got a result, indeed Ferguson is the one manager who have consistently out snookered Rafa since Rafa came to England.

A decent result on Wednesday does not mean we can assume that we'll shut down the tie at Anfield - Arsenal are more than capable of opening up the tie at our place.

Its a very very difficult tie to call as you have to weigh up Benitez' tactical genius in Europe, fortress Anfield (in Europe) with Arsenal's great record against Benitez and the obvious fact that Arsenal are a fine team.

Funnily enough much depends on what happens at the weekend - if results go Arsenal's way (UTD and/or Chelsea drop points) and Arsenal beat us in the league, it could be an added distraction (with UTD coming up for them the following weekend) which might tip the tie in our favour.

Massive week.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:19 am

I hope everyone is fit, apparently (so I've heard) Torres, Gerrard and a few others have knocks.

I actually thought if Arsenal had lost or drawn to Bolton it would've given them a greater incentive to progress in the Champions League. The need to win, and convincingly, would've been greater.

The key in away UCL fixtures is always focus, concentration, hard work and discipline.

There isn't a great need for us to attack, work off what we can and when we can. A tight game that failed to open up is the most realistically ideal scenario I feel. We can't let them get in behind us, because if it opens up, they can wreak havoc. Our full backs have to be on it more than ever.
LFC2007

Postby TwelthMan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:02 am

Tighter than donald d*ck's butt. Most bookies see arsenal as slight faves to get past us although ladbrokes whose odds are always more honest make us neck and neck.

We can do it but without doubt we have to be at our very best - high tempo, physical contest and a goal would be nice tomorrow. However, I do worry about our defence - under Rafa it has generally been rock solid but this season it has deteriorated starkly. I don't like Carra at right back - the guy is a legend at CB particularly in Europe. This detail could be the difference.

Expect big performances from the usual suspects:

Gerrard: I would put a mortgage (if I had one) on him scoring a crucial wonder goal in the tie.

Torres: Will tease and torment from all areas and should pop up with a well crafted finish.

Monster: This guy can eat Roy Keane and Vieira for breakfast. Frightening engine and commitment. Leave the ref alone though this time!

Carra: Out of position but will give 100%. Watch those tackles in the box though - could have given away dozen pens this season!

Players who need to step up to the plate:

Alonso: This fella supposedly is gifted with great passing and skill. This is only shown in flashes and I seriously feel he is a liability when he doesn't keep up with play and makes wayward passes and half-hearted challenges.

Babel: This guy has pace and skill and a not bad shot - But, his belief seems surprisingly low. Good man-management is needed for him to gain freedom to do his thing. So often sets off on a run and promises to be dangerous but we all know what is coming - :censored: all! It's just confidence though but let's hope he gets some by tomorrow!

Kuyt: We all know he's gonna play and we all know he's not gonna set the place on fire and will no doubt make a complete mess in the two or three half chances that he gets. But this game is suited to Kuyt's work rate so for once would not hit my bonce against the wall when I see him on the teamsheet.

A pointless prediction (!) : Arsenal 2 LFC 0

LFC 2 Arsenal 2

Yes i realise what I've just done - predicted my team will lose but it's just an honest take on what might happen. Damn I need some more prozac! :D
Last edited by TwelthMan on Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
TwelthMan

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion