LIVERPOOL vs WIGAN: 02/01/08 - Build up and Match Discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:46 pm

s@int wrote:
(Take lightly the above please it doesn't mean to start a flame war): Not saying Rafa doesn't make mistakes. Not saying it's a good result, just saying that the formation is not to blame and that formation doesn't mean less attack. You didn't take the 4-1 against Arsenal as a proof that it's not negative (ARSENAL) this game against Wigan doesn't mean anyhthing against that formation 

I have never said its a defensive formation Sabre, you can play 6-3-1 and still play attacking football. Its just it doesn't and has never suite our style of play. We dont play pretty triangles football, like Arsenal. We play more like the mancs, always looking to play the ball forward quickly.Even when we are trying to kill time and play possession football we tend to just pass it square across the back rather than in elaborate triangles.

As I said to Bob we changed things just after half time against Arsenal and went back to 4-4-2 mainly because the team was struggling to come to terms with playing 4-5-1 (even though we were 2-0 up.)
We won 4-1 but played much better once we revrted to 4-4-2. We probably started with 4-5-1 against Arsenal because we didn't want to be over run in midfield. I don't think there was any danger of that against Wigan!

I didn't take an offence (maybe if I was a pie-eater I would have   ) I took it as a joke same as my stu comments.

I come from Leigh, I have lived in Leigh all my life Sabre, not Wigan, we hate Wigganers with a passion mate

Fair enough, Saint.  You never said the formation was negative and you've said long before this match that you don't like us to play 4-5-1 (in the best line-up thread, I believe, but even before that).  Others in this thread, however, as well as many media pundits have either explicitly called the formation negative or have strongly implied it (5 in midfield against Wigan?  WTF, Rafa?).  This is where Sabre makes a good point--the formation is only as negative as the personnel included and the line-up on Wednesday was full of attackers.  Rafa wasn't packing the midfield to stop Wigan or to protect Arbeloa...he was putting out a team that would stretch Wigan and disrupt the compact shape they were obviously going to try and set up in their own half.  And, again I say that it did its job because we created plenty of chances and Torres found room to operate.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:47 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:
Sabre wrote:
s@int wrote:
Sabre wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:You know, you'd get the impression reading this thread that Man U, Arsenal or Chelsea had never, ever played 4-3-3/4-5-1 before.  It's used plenty by the very top teams in the league, folks, and it's not a negative formation just because it only uses one striker.  Hell, it wasn't negative when we stuck four past Arsenal last season, with Crouch up top by himself!

Let's break it down a little.  We went to Man City on Sunday and played 4-4-2 against a team that stuck 10 and at times 11 men behind the ball.  We barely got a whiff of goal all game and came away with only a point.  So, fast forward to last night and Wigan comes to town under Steve Bruce--the same Steve Bruce who knows a thing or two about parking the bus at Anfield and keeping a clean sheet.  Do we just approach the game the same way we did Sunday or do we shake it up? 

Let's look at the personnel.  Scharner and Bramble are big, strong lads who are quite good in the air, whereas their fullbacks consist of a mediocre player past his prime and a converted mediocre midfielder past his prime.  Why not play two out and out wide men in support of Torres?  Ideally, Kewell and Pennant would allow us to stretch the play, pull the fullbacks out to the touchlines and create space for Torres to operate in and for Gerrard to bomb into from a deeper position.  Alonso sits a little deeper and is responsible for switching play and keeping the fullbacks pinned back.  Mascherano mops up, whilst Aurelio and Finnan provide attacking support down the flanks on the overlap to maintain width when the wingers cut in field.  Tactically, it makes a lot of sense and it wasn't working half-bad either.

It wasn't the system that let us down last night--it was poor finishing (again) and a costly defensive mistake late on.

Well I don't care I'm slagged off for this, it's my opinion.

The result against Wigan was not good enough, but you can't blame the formation. It's not negative. Didn't we count several chances in the first half plus a couple of doubtful offsides?

The team had a couple of disadjustments in defence, but that was due to Arbeloa's lack of compenetration with Carra, you could see that in a couple of balls which they both tried to clear (mistake) and the other disadjustment came in their goal. It was after all a set pieces situation.

The team under this "negative" tactic controlled the midfield, you could see that Gerrard didn't actually play as a second striker because he went deep (own half even) to start some plays when the other midfielders where too watched. The team had mobility, and our goal came in an excellent movement of surprise of Finnan. You could see Mascherano being covered by Alonso, and also Alonso in more advanced positions.

You also played 2 attacking and pure wingers. For me, yesterday's formation was the best to beat Steve Bruce's "Maturana's killing of spaces". They way wigan played, starting the press in their own half, and an advanced space to get small the pitch was brought to europe by the colombian Valderrama.

So yesterday we made mistakes, Kewell had a hard afternoon with Melchot, Pennant paid the lack of games, and we lacked accuracy scoring, but in my book, we played the right tactic, which was not negative but clever. So you're not alone on this.

Consider yourself slagged off. It was LIVERPOOL against Wigan, we could have played 6-2-1-1 and we would still have created chances. The fact is that we only converted one chance, maybe if we had created more chances and had more people on the pitch who haven't forgotten how to score we would have got 3 or 4.

Wigan played 10 men behind the ball, I think its safe to say you would expect us to have plenty possession . As far as I am aware no one has said its a negative tactic playing 4-5-1, just a bad one for Liverpool. It doesn't suit the way we play, our striker ALWAYS GETS ISOLATED. Rafa got it wrong!

As stu would say get a fkn clue, end of.

Right get out of Wigan and watch some football, it has evolved in the last 20 years. End of  :D

If I lived in Wigan I would have got out by now mate.I DON'T LIVE IN WIGAN never have never will.  I didn't realise that football had evolved so much that when a manager fks up its really a masterstroke of tactical planning. Come back when we have won something playing 4-5-1 and I will stick with my league titles , CL WINS and League and FAcup victories ALL WON PLAYING 4 -4-2  :D

Would that CL win be the one where Baros played as a lone striker, mate? :D

No that would be the one where he started with Baros and Kewell, and then moved Garcia inside mate  :D

I say midfielder, you say "creative second striker" mate? :D

Call it what you want but it was not 4-4-2 in Istanbul.

If it had been Gerrard playing behind Baros I would agree, but it was Kewell and then Garcia (I can't remember either of them being renound for their tackling or tracking back mate.

Dudek

Finnan   Carra   Hyypia   Traore

Garcia  Gerrard  Alonso  Riise

Kewell
                  Baros

Once Kewell went off :-
          Dudek

Smicer Gerrard    Alonso     Riise

Garcia
                        Baros
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:51 pm

Fair enough S@int, but change your profile of poster, if you read it you can read location: wigan, that's why I thought all along you lived there.

As for the elaborate triangles, I'm not a fan of that kind of football either but a mixture between the english style and that elaborated football. I simply don't like that when two team mates are running for a space, another team mate ignores that run and tries something individual. I don't like that hurrying up, and we've made that mistake in the past. But against wigan I didn't see that kind of gambling but more my style. For instance, did you see many balls huffed from Carra and Arbeloa, long balls? not as many as some weeks ago when we were commenting our CB sometimes huffed the ball too much. That formation allows to initiate the plays more securely, you have more options to pass. It's a game of patience, and the worst thing is that we. made the difficult thing, scoring first, but then we didn't kill the game. Individual mistakes yesterday
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:55 pm

Fair enough S@int, but change your profile of poster, if you read it you can read location: wigan

Its the nearest big town Sabre, no one has ever heard of Leigh but everyone knows Wigan .

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:58 pm

s@int wrote:
Fair enough S@int, but change your profile of poster, if you read it you can read location: wigan

Its the nearest big town Sabre, no one has ever heard of Leigh but everyone knows Wigan .

I know Leigh.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:58 pm

s@int wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:I say midfielder, you say "creative second striker" mate? :D

If it had been Gerrard playing behind Baros I would agree, but it was Kewell and then Garcia (I can't remember either of them being renound for their tackling or tracking back mate.

Dudek

Kewell
                  Baros

Dudek

Garcia
                        Baros

Until halftime, when we went to 3 at the back.  So, one half of nominal 4-4-2 whilst conceding three goals...hardly a strong case for the link you're trying to draw between 4-4-2 and one of our biggest successes in recent decades! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:I say midfielder, you say "creative second striker" mate? :D

Dudek

Kewell
                  Baros

Dudek

Garcia
                        Baros

Until halftime, when we went to 3 at the back.  So, one half of nominal 4-4-2 whilst conceding three goals...hardly a strong case for the link you're trying to draw between 4-4-2 and one of our biggest successes in recent decades! :D

Dudek

Carra   Hyypia   Traore
                    Hamann
    Smicer     Gerrard    Alonso   Riise

Garcia
                      Baros
We still played with 2 forwards Bob, but with Smicer dropping in to the centre to cover Gerrards charges up field.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:16 pm

s@int wrote:Liverpool have never played well when we have played with one striker, he always becomes isolated and we struggle to score, before resorting to either the long ball (when its Crouch) or the ball over the top (fast striker). Probably Baros is our only real success in that role, he was fast mobile worked the channels well, and we never "really" expected him to score did we :D

Besides which I had already covered Baros in an earlier post Bob (I like to keep all my options open  :D )

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:24 pm

:laugh:

Saint, you must have been a second striker back in the day, hey? :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:11 pm

I think we should lock this one now hey guys ?

Concentrate on tomorrow ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:49 pm

Closed - the next pagething is getting on my ti.ts.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion