MIDDLESBROUGH VS LIVERPOOL - pre-match discussion here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:04 pm

mattylfc wrote:The fact that Middlesborough had no ambition didnt help but the our own desire and the fact that we didnt look like breaking them down was the main problem.

The only positive to come out of the game was our ball retention. When the opposition had the ball we were superb at working back to retrieve, unfortunately we then lacked all ability to use the ball when going forward.

So, in your opinion we faced a team with no ambition but you think a positive to come out of the game was our ball retention although "unfortunately we then lacked all ability to use the ball when going forward."

Get a grip . 

:talktothehand

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby mattylfc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:25 am

Yes woof woof, i think that was our only positive.  As soon as Middlesborough won the ball our defense and midfield were very quick to get it back and retain position,we didnt give up in that respect. That it my eyes was the only positive.

Our downfall came in the attacking third as we have come to expect of late.  We lacked creativity, didnt play at a high tempo, no-one was willing to run at players and our best attempt at goal was from 35yds.

I completely see what you are saying about Bellamy Bad Bob and perhaps we are not playing to his strengths but it just seems that when he does finally get the ball he doesnt really look like he's going to do anything with it.  His body language didnt seem too good on sat, just got to hope it improves in the near future.
mattylfc

Postby bigmick » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:21 am

It's not often I get to say this but I went (whoopee! thanks Ian) and I thought it was a desperate performance to be perfectly honest. Though the Liverpool supporters were magnificent, on the whole very loud and supportive, the dissenting vioices at the end came through louid and clear. Pennant was absolutely awful, I was embarassed for him and Gonzales was only a fraction better. This performance was not a marked improvement on what has gone before, the simple fact of the matter is that we were playing a vastly inferior team to the ones we have been playing on the road.
Just about the only saving graces in my opinion were the performances of Carragher and particularly Agger who was excellent throughout. What disturbs me most of all is the lack of electricity, urgency and will to turn the tide when the game is slipping away with ten minutes or so remaining. There is no doubt we have good players and equally (in my opinion anyway) that we have a top manager. Unfortunately, at the moment it would be entirely dillusional to pretend that we have anything other than a very ordinary team.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:52 am

Just about the only saving graces in my opinion were the performances of Carragher and particularly Agger who was excellent throughout

It must be Stu_the_reds famous jibe about seeing it live, because I thought Agger had an unusually ropey game.
66-1112520797

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion