MIDDLESBROUGH VS LIVERPOOL - pre-match discussion here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Effes » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:56 pm

Bamaga man wrote:full gone conclusions

Alonso was another plus, and it was good to see him venture forward a bit more,

"full gone conclusions " - that's a belter.

I cant recall Alonso getting forward at all - he seems to take it too easy for my liking.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:58 pm

It’s a platform to build on, we were comfortably the better side in a match were last season Chelsea lost (and this season), Man Utd lost, Arsenal lost and we haven’t won in a while. We may not have got the result we wanted yesterday and we didn’t exactly pepper their goal but it was a strong performance, their was clearly some anxiety in the players, a lot of them where feeling the pressure that building because of the media and sadly also the fans who have started to turn on both the boss and the players.

Some of the passing in the second half was far better than it has been recently. But one thing I have noticed we have been giving the ball away very cheaply compared to last season, and some of the biggest culprits have been the new players like Gonzalez, Pennant and Bellamy.

We have 2 home games in the league against lesser opposition, and the next 10 league games are winnable. My predication is that we will collect most of the points available in the next 10 league games and will be sitting comfortably in the top 4 but still some way off the leaders.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:53 pm

Effes wrote:

I cant recall Alonso getting forward at all - he seems to take it too easy for my liking.

Sour puss
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:18 pm

Effes wrote:

Alonso is a class act fella..lay off him!
The reason you did not see him get forward is clear to anyone with a brain!

He was instructed(in the absense of Sissoko) to play a holding role in the centre.Clearly when sissoko is not there the team suffer as a whole...at times in the game Gerrard was off trying to make things happen,leaving Alonso on his own in c/m..i think he done OK but yesterday was in my eyes a good advertisement for Gerrard staying on the right.
Gerrard has no discipline in central midfield,too often goes off leaving his partner isolsted and with too much to do!
Id say fu.ck Hansen,Shearer,Lawernson and the lot with their sheltered passionless views...Steven Gerrard is more benificial and productive on the right for LFC!
66-1120597113

Postby Hebz » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:28 am

Alonso didn't get as forward as he probabaly could've, but he's not to blame.

Pennant still hasn't impressed me, and Gonzalez is too ball greedy. He has shots, but he just wastes them. If he had passed a few of his shots, into the area where Kuyt and Bellamy were, maybe the scoreline would have been different. That's what "forwards" are for.

Agger has a lot more better aim than Gonzalez and he's a defender, the new boys need to learn the whole point of being on a Football Team. There's no I in team...

Our performance wasn't bad though, we just need to improve on finishing because the attempts are there!
Hebz

Postby HOMER » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:46 am

we think that liverpool are better than they are. we blame it all on the away record. the truth is that we havn't played a top 4 side at home or we'd have a home record to match the away one!
we've played blackburn - decent side - no win. all the rest were average teams.

as for pennant - if he was any good he'd still be at arsenal - 6m !
HOMER

Postby 66-1120597113 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:48 am

HOMER wrote:we think that liverpool are better than they are. we blame it all on the away record. the truth is that we havn't played a top 4 side at home or we'd have a home record to match the away one!
we've played blackburn - decent side - no win. all the rest were average teams.

as for pennant - if he was any good he'd still be at arsenal - 6m !

That has nailed the fact you are a clueless idiot!

Fu.ck off!
66-1120597113

Postby HOMER » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:08 am

why clueless?
can you name a decent side that we have beaten this season?

I think you're the one with your head up your a*se.

reality check - don't you watch football !!!

if you did you'd realise that there are better teams than us in the league - and they're above us in the table.

take those biased red glasses off - and watch other teams play you might learn something
HOMER

Postby red37 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:22 am

No matter-this threads now history.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:25 am

HOMER wrote:why clueless?
can you name a decent side that we have beaten this season?

aston villa, unbeaten when we obliterated them
112-1077774096

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:27 am

Well Middlesborough must be better than Sh*tski, then.

Knobhead.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HOMER » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:37 am

villa - still not a top 6 side. but a decent team i'll give you that.
i'll change my post from a decent side to a good side then !
HOMER

Postby Mannyk » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:05 am

murphy0151 wrote:
metalhead wrote:
BOODIDDY wrote:Give the youngsters a try, what have we to lose.

Sure... You have no idea what you are talking about! This isn't football manager game, this is real life for FFS! playing youngsters on the wing is a mistake! why? because they are not ready to play! They need bloody experience.

Metal head how else are they going to get experience?  Champions league wednesday night is ideal.  Were allready threw so a perfect opportunity to gain experience.

Kewell played a major part in our great end to last season.  I understand people get frustrated with him as his had mroe sicknotes then me lol.  But I cant wait to see a fit Kewell again.

Yep . Bring back Harry. Only problem he will probably need to get a groin transplant , a bionic foot and yes a new hair cut.

I guarantee you though if he plays . You watch Liverpool start winning  .
Mannyk

Postby mattylfc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:40 am

Such a disappointing game, as with most recent away games i thought this was the one where we turned the corner.  Unfortunately it wasnt to be though.  The fact that Middlesborough had no ambition didnt help but the our own desire and the fact that we didnt look like breaking them down was the main problem.

Any questions raised regarding Gerrards position were answered not in his own performance but in Pennants IMO.  Both Pennant and Gonzalez were terrible on saturday, neither player got the better of the full back and i cant remember one good cross from either player.  Gonzalez had a good 5 minute spell when he switched flanks in the first half but that was as good as it got.  I lost count how many times Gonzalez failed to get his cross past the first man and when he did it went out for a goal kick.  Gonzalez looks very short of confidence and Pennant need not have been on the pitch.

Bellamy was once again anonymous, he looks a shadow of the player we know he can be.  He seems to just go hiding, never showing for the ball, not good enough at the moment.  Crouch created more opportunities for himself in the five minutes he was on than Bellamy did in the full 90mins.  I was surprised Crouch was on the bench considering he was the one player who didnt get any minutes next week. Im not going to dwel on the corners, they were just shocking.

The only positive to come out of the game was our ball retention. When the opposition had the ball we were superb at working back to retrieve, unfortunately we then lacked all ability to use the ball when going forward.

Think we just have to hope that Garcia is back fairly soon.  I would be tempted to play warnock/Aurelio LB for time being and have Riise LM and Garcia on the right when fit again.  Think we need to introduce the wingers later on in games when we are winning so that they can get soem confidence up.
mattylfc

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:51 pm

mattylfc wrote:Such a disappointing game, as with most recent away games i thought this was the one where we turned the corner.  Unfortunately it wasnt to be though.  The fact that Middlesborough had no ambition didnt help but the our own desire and the fact that we didnt look like breaking them down was the main problem.

Any questions raised regarding Gerrards position were answered not in his own performance but in Pennants IMO.  Both Pennant and Gonzalez were terrible on saturday, neither player got the better of the full back and i cant remember one good cross from either player.  Gonzalez had a good 5 minute spell when he switched flanks in the first half but that was as good as it got.  I lost count how many times Gonzalez failed to get his cross past the first man and when he did it went out for a goal kick.  Gonzalez looks very short of confidence and Pennant need not have been on the pitch.

Bellamy was once again anonymous, he looks a shadow of the player we know he can be.  He seems to just go hiding, never showing for the ball, not good enough at the moment.  Crouch created more opportunities for himself in the five minutes he was on than Bellamy did in the full 90mins.  I was surprised Crouch was on the bench considering he was the one player who didnt get any minutes next week. Im not going to dwel on the corners, they were just shocking.

The only positive to come out of the game was our ball retention. When the opposition had the ball we were superb at working back to retrieve, unfortunately we then lacked all ability to use the ball when going forward.

Think we just have to hope that Garcia is back fairly soon.  I would be tempted to play warnock/Aurelio LB for time being and have Riise LM and Garcia on the right when fit again.  Think we need to introduce the wingers later on in games when we are winning so that they can get soem confidence up.

I would agree with exactly everything you've said above with the exception of the comments on Bellamy.  To me, Bellamy is just not getting anything close to the kind of service he thrives on: through balls in behind the defense or balls down the channels.  It didn't help that Boro spent virtually the entire match parked in their own half, clogging up the space.  (Has there ever been a less ambitious home team?)  Crouchy did well when he came on because he got the kind of service he thrives on but that makes it an unfair to compare him with Bellamy, who is not going to revel in high crosses to the back post.

What you say about Pennant and Gonzo is spot on, though: abyssmal comes to mind to describe their use of the ball.  I was screaming at the telly after every miskick or tepid cross that ricocheted off the shins of the first man.  :angry:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion